News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2110279 times)

goldenband

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6960 on: September 29, 2020, 10:04:59 am »
I wonder sometimes. Sega hid any indication of being able to continue in Altered Beast for the Genesis, and it was a travesty of a decision.

The continue code is in the manual:

That's not unusual for games released in the 1980s -- Sega did it with a bunch of Master System games, and Nintendo did it with a few as well. I don't know whether the Japanese versions of those games treated the code as "secret", but the North American releases didn't.

(It's annoying when you rent a game and don't have the manual, but then again those companies saw game rental as their enemy.)

Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu even gives out a ridiculous 99-continue code in the manual, which takes a game that's already very easy and pushes it into the realm of the absurd!

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: September 29, 2020, 04:26:55 pm »
I would like to see a color hack for the PC-Engine CD port of Strider that makes it look closer to its arcade counterpart.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: October 01, 2020, 02:37:33 am »
After looking up this game, Crystal's Pony Tale, I wouldn't mind if someone hacked this game to be more atkin to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic series. I mean the concept of the game's great, but it's kind of got poor execution and stuff and needed to be a little more to the MLP and hardcore gamer community. Probably.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: October 01, 2020, 12:14:03 pm »
The continue code is in the manual:

That's not unusual for games released in the 1980s -- Sega did it with a bunch of Master System games, and Nintendo did it with a few as well. I don't know whether the Japanese versions of those games treated the code as "secret", but the North American releases didn't.

(It's annoying when you rent a game and don't have the manual, but then again those companies saw game rental as their enemy.)

Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu even gives out a ridiculous 99-continue code in the manual, which takes a game that's already very easy and pushes it into the realm of the absurd!

I have a CIB copy of Mickey Mousecapade (with the box cut to fit a VHS case, as was usual for rentals) and the manual gave out the level-select code. :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: October 01, 2020, 06:39:59 pm »
Idea for Zombies ate my Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol: Rebalance Hack.
Basically:
→ Passwords are now used to remember the number of lives rather than victims
→ After starting from a password, start off with at least 1 "pickup" of each non-key item. (example: 1 pandora box, 1 decoy clown, 5 rocket launcher ammo (assuming that's how much each RL gives)
→ Reduce spawn aggressiveness (make the enemies spawn only half as often)
→ Reduce bosses' HP by 1/3
→ Make the water gun ammo refill over time if it's under 50

Cookieskoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: October 02, 2020, 12:46:50 am »
I would very much appreciate a translation of Elnard. I know we have The 7th Saga in English (and very good re-balancing hacks), but I personally prefer the original Japanese graphics and sound (example: the doors sound like doors in Elnard). It'd be nice to be able to play Elnard as a non-Japanese enabled reader. :)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6966 on: October 02, 2020, 05:29:26 am »
Adventure Bar Story (PSP):

-Rework the jewel system so that players get a jewel for every ten* battles they win or every four days that pass, just like in Marenian Tavern Story.

(*Or twelve, since ten is way overused in general.)

-Allow players to cook freely, without jewels.

-Allow switching between party members and sub-members even within dungeons.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: October 03, 2020, 01:44:11 pm »
SMB1 with Mario 35's physics.

glitere12

• View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: October 03, 2020, 03:32:41 pm »
I found a Tsukihime gba rom, by Type Moon(the same creators of Fate Stay Night).Could i suggest that someone puts the translation of the pc version on this gba rom? I have a download link and you can find it on roms on reddit or on Beasts lair site

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: October 03, 2020, 05:02:06 pm »
SMB1 with Mario 35's physics.

I was just about to post the same, but for me "physics" means also extra enemies, like possible multiple Bowsers on every stage, etc, firey Mario goes to Super Mario when hit, fire flower turns even small Mario into firey.

DinosaurPlanetFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: October 04, 2020, 01:49:57 am »
Rom Hack idea for Star Fox Adventures
-Restore characters and Story from the original game Dinosaur Planet 64

Syeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: October 04, 2020, 04:56:58 pm »
Illusion of Time/Gaia with Zelda characters

Someone played this game? It's an action adventure where a boy goes on a quest to rescue the world. He fights monsters, he solves puzzles and dungeons. It's a nice game. I always had to think about the game as a Zelda game. The sprites could be changed so Will (the boy protagonist) is Young Link. He later can transform into a knight, who could be Dark Link. The other main characters could be turned into Zelda characters as well, as there is a princess who could need some new colors.

The title screen could be changed as well, like "The Legend of Zelda: Illusion of Time/Gaia". I'd love to see something like that!

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: October 05, 2020, 09:57:24 pm »
Ideas for Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance:
→ New Game Plus. This and Circle of the Moon could use a NG+ in a style similar to Aria of Sorrow, where relics/abilities and keys are lost but all else is kept. (Floating/Infinite Boots would be kept, since they are already endgame gear anyways. Plus it'd be funny to "break" the game after you are done with it)
→ Make it so Crush Boots, Night Goggles and Crushing Stone's effects are applied once you get them, without having to equip first. (However, in Crushing Stone's case, the crushing property is the only effect applied without equipping, and the charging is faster and causes more damage to compensate)
→ Increase the odds of Rare Ghost appearing and add more rooms where it can appear.
→ Add a custom item named "Danasty's Scroll" that reduces all subweapon heart usage greatly, with knives becoming free.
→ Change "Cristopher's Soul"/"Bullet Tip" behavior to allow it to be used regardless of full health or not, but to balance reduce the ATK.
→ Change "Sylpha's Soul"/"Cypher's Charm" behavior to greatly increase MP gain (almost similar to Chaos Ring in Aria of Sorrow) at the cost of greatly lowering ATK and DEF.
→ Add a "Sylpha mode", possibly with the name "BELNADES": start with lower HP, Heart, DEF and ATK, but high INT, MP and all books.
→ Add a "Grant mode", possibly with the name "DANASTY": start with lower MP, ATK, DEF and INT, but high HP, LUCK and Heart.

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6973 on: October 07, 2020, 05:13:22 am »
Rom Hack idea for Star Fox Adventures
-Restore characters and Story from the original game Dinosaur Planet 64

That sounds like such a cool idea but I feel like the gamecube game modding scene is practically non-existant and what you're asking would require a lot of programming wizardry that would take decades for one person or even a small team.  You'd have to remove all references to Star Fox, which is harder than you might think, re-do or remove the voice acting, develop new cut scenes and replace the old ones, ect.

I think we'll have better luck waiting for the N64 version of the game to leak someday... and I hope it does.

On a different note... speaking of "Game with Zelda characters", I just started playing Neutopia today, the most shameless Zelda 1 clone ever, and I am loving it, but I still feel like i'm playing a bootleg version of Zelda, idk if hacking Turbografx 16 is that tough but making a Zelda version of that would be pretty sweet.  At the very least the main character should be Link.

EDIT: Also, Bonk's Revenge sprites to replace Bonk's Adventure sprites. I can't stand how he looks in the original Bonk's Adventure. I was going to do it myself, but it seems the game doesn't play well with YYCHR which is all I know how to use.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 06:36:31 am by pocket »
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

WingMantis

• View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: October 07, 2020, 05:48:14 pm »
Silent Hill 4 The Room with Tommy Wiseau

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6975 on: October 08, 2020, 12:06:13 pm »
Silent Hill 4 The Room with Tommy Wiseau

OH HAI PYRAMIDHEAD

CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP

ANYWAY, HOW's YOUR SEX LIFE?

and

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART!! LITERALLY!!!

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: October 08, 2020, 04:34:42 pm »
OH HAI PYRAMIDHEAD

CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP

ANYWAY, HOW's YOUR SEX LIFE?

and

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART!! LITERALLY!!!

Needs this much of Bad Acting!

Megaman & Bass [GBA]:

SNES color restoration, make Bass' dash command like in MM10: Down+Jump.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: October 08, 2020, 04:55:30 pm »
Needs this much of Bad Acting!

Megaman & Bass [GBA]:

SNES color restoration, make Bass' dash command like in MM10: Down+Jump.
Better yet: remove command dash, move dash to L and R. And for Mega make it so it's the slide button.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: October 08, 2020, 05:48:21 pm »
In all the years of people playing A Link to The Past am I the _only_ person who has noticed the fact Link's eye on the left side has an extra black pixel when he is standing normally, but when you charge up the Sword Spin Attack, that extra pixel is gone? It also isn't there at the beginning of the game before you have the shield. His eyes are normal until then. After that one pupil is larger than the other.

It's not as noticeable on a CRT, so maybe that's why they missed it. But on an HDTV it's noticeable and kind of offputting especially to people like me who have OCD, lol.

October 08, 2020, 05:50:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Better yet: remove command dash, move dash to L and R. And for Mega make it so it's the slide button.

Seconded. R Dash is superior. Why they made it Double Tap is beyond me. Every time I would play Mega Man X I always, always, always set the Dash to be the R button.

Also wasn't there an R Dash patch for the SNES version of Mega Man and Bass?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:01:35 pm by WeebeeGeebee »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: October 08, 2020, 06:42:41 pm »

The title screen could be changed as well, like "The Legend of Zelda: Illusion of Time/Gaia". I'd love to see something like that!

You know that is EXACTLY what Nintendo was going for when they replaced the title sequence for the US version?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018