News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2417317 times)

glitere12

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6940 on: September 25, 2020, 10:20:07 pm »
I found some time ago a gba version of Kagetsu Tohya that works pretty well on GBA emulators, but it's only in jp. Since the pc version is already translated, could anyone put the english script on the gba rom? You can find it by typing "Kagetsu Tohya GBA rom" on google search there's even a thread on reddit with the links

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6941 on: September 26, 2020, 03:34:46 am »
EDIT: Disregard this, I've figured it out.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 03:43:38 am by pocket »
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6942 on: September 26, 2020, 08:49:17 am »
I'm rather surprised that E.V.O.: Search for Eden did not get a better translation, because the current one leaves so much to be desired (the use of "crystal" instead of "crystals", Bolbox instead of Volvox, etc.).

hunterob

• View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: September 26, 2020, 11:09:53 am »
Hope this is the appropriate place to post about this.

I was playing the only English translation of Joy Mech Fight I could find and was bothered to learn that the current, Nintendo-official names weren't being used. The translators (AlanMidas and The Spoony Bard) seem to have been inactive as hackers for over a decade, so I couldn't request them directly to make a simple update.

The rom currently refers to the good scientist as Ivan Warner and the bad one as Little Ermin, where Smash Bros identifies them as Ivan Walnuts and Little Emon respectively. The main robot, who has become more relevant than ever as an assist trophy in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, is now unambiguously known as Sukapon, but in the dated patch is referred to as "Skapon". It's a strange situation, since this a game Nintendo has and likely may never port the game over themselves, but it would be nice to play a version that uses the names of the characters they have more or less officially translated into English.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: September 26, 2020, 11:15:55 am »
I'm rather surprised that E.V.O.: Search for Eden did not get a better translation, because the current one leaves so much to be desired (the use of "crystal" instead of "crystals", Bolbox instead of Volvox, etc.).

Yeah, good point. Some things felt a bit off on the official translation and I wish something was done about it.

September 27, 2020, 02:23:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Speaking of which...you know the announcement of the Switch port of the English version of "Moon: Remix RPG Adventure"? Not a lot of us can afford the game and would rather play the game on to the PS1 Rom. Though I'm really hoping that someone just dumped a ROM of the game (and hope it's compatible with a PS emulator) somewhere, but I doubt it. But I'm just mostly spitballing on this one. I understand if it just can't be ported into the Japanese PS1 rom. I'm just saying it needs to be spread to a wider audience somehow.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:23:21 am by julayla »

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6945 on: September 27, 2020, 11:21:56 pm »
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Master Mode, a mode that combines the best aspects of each one. If possible make it so it has it's own spot in the code, if not, then replace Thief Mode with it.

Base stats (LV01):
HP: 200.
MP: 400.
Hearts: 250.
STR: 141.
DEF: 200.
INT: 400.
LCK: 1,600.

Stat boosts per level:
HP: +20.
MP: +40.
Hearts: +5.
STR: +14.
DEF: +20.
INT: +40.
LCK: +160.

Starts with every DSS card.
Have every sub-weapon buff from Shooter Mode.
Able to use the Homing Knife.

Password:
GTI-CLUB

Also, have Nathan automatically run once he gets the Dash Boots.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:30:51 pm by Masked Dedede »
Bottom Text

tygerbug

• View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: September 27, 2020, 11:53:22 pm »
Jordan vs Bird, replacing Bird with Bugs Bunny. Might have to be a Mesen mod rather than proper romhack due to presumably shared graphics.

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6947 on: September 28, 2020, 03:45:48 am »
A hack to speed up the story text in Valis for the Sega Genesis because holy cow.

Also, a way to impliment continues or any kind of way to save your progress in Wonder Boy in Monster Land. I hear the arcade version had infinite continues but I'm playing on Sega Master System.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6948 on: September 28, 2020, 04:54:24 am »
A hack to speed up the story text in Valis for the Sega Genesis because holy cow.

Also, a way to impliment continues or any kind of way to save your progress in Wonder Boy in Monster Land. I hear the arcade version had infinite continues but I'm playing on Sega Master System.

I wonder sometimes. Sega hid any indication of being able to continue in Altered Beast for the Genesis, and it was a travesty of a decision.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 05:00:12 am by tc »

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: September 28, 2020, 05:50:07 pm »
How about a hack of The Guardian Legend that reduces boss health to about 1/10 of what it is? The damage sponge bosses are easily the worst thing about this game.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: September 29, 2020, 10:04:59 am »
I wonder sometimes. Sega hid any indication of being able to continue in Altered Beast for the Genesis, and it was a travesty of a decision.

The continue code is in the manual:

That's not unusual for games released in the 1980s -- Sega did it with a bunch of Master System games, and Nintendo did it with a few as well. I don't know whether the Japanese versions of those games treated the code as "secret", but the North American releases didn't.

(It's annoying when you rent a game and don't have the manual, but then again those companies saw game rental as their enemy.)

Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu even gives out a ridiculous 99-continue code in the manual, which takes a game that's already very easy and pushes it into the realm of the absurd!

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: September 29, 2020, 04:26:55 pm »
I would like to see a color hack for the PC-Engine CD port of Strider that makes it look closer to its arcade counterpart.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: October 01, 2020, 02:37:33 am »
After looking up this game, Crystal's Pony Tale, I wouldn't mind if someone hacked this game to be more atkin to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic series. I mean the concept of the game's great, but it's kind of got poor execution and stuff and needed to be a little more to the MLP and hardcore gamer community. Probably.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: October 01, 2020, 12:14:03 pm »
The continue code is in the manual:

That's not unusual for games released in the 1980s -- Sega did it with a bunch of Master System games, and Nintendo did it with a few as well. I don't know whether the Japanese versions of those games treated the code as "secret", but the North American releases didn't.

(It's annoying when you rent a game and don't have the manual, but then again those companies saw game rental as their enemy.)

Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu even gives out a ridiculous 99-continue code in the manual, which takes a game that's already very easy and pushes it into the realm of the absurd!

I have a CIB copy of Mickey Mousecapade (with the box cut to fit a VHS case, as was usual for rentals) and the manual gave out the level-select code. :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: October 01, 2020, 06:39:59 pm »
Idea for Zombies ate my Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol: Rebalance Hack.
Basically:
→ Passwords are now used to remember the number of lives rather than victims
→ After starting from a password, start off with at least 1 "pickup" of each non-key item. (example: 1 pandora box, 1 decoy clown, 5 rocket launcher ammo (assuming that's how much each RL gives)
→ Reduce spawn aggressiveness (make the enemies spawn only half as often)
→ Reduce bosses' HP by 1/3
→ Make the water gun ammo refill over time if it's under 50

Cookieskoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: October 02, 2020, 12:46:50 am »
I would very much appreciate a translation of Elnard. I know we have The 7th Saga in English (and very good re-balancing hacks), but I personally prefer the original Japanese graphics and sound (example: the doors sound like doors in Elnard). It'd be nice to be able to play Elnard as a non-Japanese enabled reader. :)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6956 on: October 02, 2020, 05:29:26 am »
Adventure Bar Story (PSP):

-Rework the jewel system so that players get a jewel for every ten* battles they win or every four days that pass, just like in Marenian Tavern Story.

(*Or twelve, since ten is way overused in general.)

-Allow players to cook freely, without jewels.

-Allow switching between party members and sub-members even within dungeons.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: October 03, 2020, 01:44:11 pm »
SMB1 with Mario 35's physics.

glitere12

• View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: October 03, 2020, 03:32:41 pm »
I found a Tsukihime gba rom, by Type Moon(the same creators of Fate Stay Night).Could i suggest that someone puts the translation of the pc version on this gba rom? I have a download link and you can find it on roms on reddit or on Beasts lair site

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: October 03, 2020, 05:02:06 pm »
SMB1 with Mario 35's physics.

I was just about to post the same, but for me "physics" means also extra enemies, like possible multiple Bowsers on every stage, etc, firey Mario goes to Super Mario when hit, fire flower turns even small Mario into firey.