News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2102280 times)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6780 on: July 27, 2020, 06:02:00 pm »
Idea for Ducktales I & II
Ducktales I:
→ Remove Timer and Time Limit

Ducktales I and II:
→ Add a [↑] prompt near characters so you can see what they have to say, rather than them interrupting you as soon as you touch them.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: July 27, 2020, 08:31:58 pm »
Ducktales I and II:
→ Add a [↑] prompt near characters so you can see what they have to say, rather than them interrupting you as soon as you touch them.
If this is done in Ducktales I, you'd be able to skip getting sent to Transylvania from the mines for the key. The key is technically unnecessary to get through.

WingMantis

• View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: July 28, 2020, 12:11:41 am »
Idea: tweaking the leaked Akira prototype game for SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive.

bug fixes

add enemies?

Drop the best Road Rash programming/AI into the motorbike sections

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: July 28, 2020, 11:59:25 am »
This is not an idea, but I just thought it would be nice to point out when something that appears in this thread gets made...

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5289/

Thanks to Evgeny for making 1942 more bearable to play. b^.^d

rogueKlyntar

• View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: July 28, 2020, 11:11:14 pm »
I'd like a hack for TLoZ DX that turns the game into a zeldaesque Adventure. Keep all the Adventure text and story and maps but make it look like a Zelda game. And of course you need to keep the dot-key, which is why I say a GBC hack rather than a GBA hack. A GBA hack is too much work for such a simple game like Adventure. Also I need it to be rockboy-compatible so, a GBA hack is out.
"Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest." - Patricia Tannis, Borderlands 2

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6785 on: July 28, 2020, 11:32:27 pm »
I'm still riding that "Jiggies of Time" high. As I was playing Diddy Kong Racing earlier today I kept thinking "you could turn most of these tracks into collect-a-thon sand boxes with a little creativity. Liberties would need to be taken, but Jiggies of Time proves that taking liberties is actually A-OK.

Also you could apply the same principal to some of the Mario Kart tracks and Mario 64... maybe not all of them. I can't see Wario Stadium being fun unless it was one of those "castle secret stars", like the hidden slide level in Mario 64.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

lillith9910

• View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: July 29, 2020, 11:55:20 am »
This baffles me that it was never done but I would kill to see a translation of the first two one piece games for gameboy color:

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: July 29, 2020, 07:51:50 pm »
Odd request here, but would anybody be interested in hacking in subtitles to the English version of Tenchu 2 for the cutscenes? The Japanese version, released months after the English version, actually features subtitles. Always found it odd that the first Tenchu had subtitles but the second game doesn't.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: July 29, 2020, 11:42:56 pm »
Subtitles for cutscenes, be they in game or videos, is a pain.

For videos you have two main approaches
1) Figure out the video format and encode them in, with whatever quality loss that causes (PS1 era video codecs that could play back on the PS1 not being renowned for their quality, hence most such projects usually wandering off to find a PC copy or reconstructing the video from trailers and whatnot). If it is a known format with a known encoder then great, if it is a simplistic motion jpeg or simple boxes style codec then great but most likely it is actually something of a then modern one with nice p frames, i frames, maybe b frames, motion tracking and the usual colour formats on top of it all and that is just decoding, you get to reverse that and make analysis code (or maybe you can cheat and not use compression and take the size hit). I usually get people to look at the format for MPEG1 (impossibly ancient and basic, even possibly the time of this game as MPEG2 was already a thing and MPEG4 had just been released as well)
1a) If you have an encoder for something else and code for it then you can potentially then put your own decoder into the game and go from there.
2) Overlay the subtitles on top of the video. Even assuming the video playback does not peg the CPU you still get to figure out the assembly hacks and do them.

In game cutscenes is usually a variation of 2) unless the game already has the functionality (is it available in some other scene, or maybe intro or credits, but not in this one?).

If another region has subtitles suitable for task in the video files (though if it is a nice bit of Japanese embedded in the video then... yeah) and the devs doing localisation had it slip their mind or something then a file swap might be the order of the day. Whether you have to chase this with an audio swap, or swapping out the audio in the video file, is a different matter but still easier than reverse engineering and making an encoder*. That is the sort of thing you might want to try yourself too.

*As I sit here then there are encoders with leaked versions, devs released the source, a few ancient PC games that used "basically a slideshow"/marginally tweaked known formats/ultra simple formats and a few others that usually use known formats with their own container (depending upon where you are in the world the video, the audio, the subtitles and the container might have their own royalties to pay, possibly even on a per released copy basis, hence why game devs often use things like rad/bink, CRI and all the others when they could trivially have made a AVI or MP4 decoder). There are a few more decoders (not least of all because of how many things use rad/bink) and even some stuff that plays like the various audio playback options by emulating a cut down ROM that only knows how to play back stuff. Either way the general dearth of them speaking to how hard this is.

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: July 30, 2020, 06:11:01 pm »
Most of Tenchu 2's cutscenes are in-engine, realtime scenes. The Japanese version took advantage of the letterbox design of these scenes to add subtitles there. My guess, and this is perhaps a highlight of my own ignorance, would be to find what that new code is in the JP version, transplant that into the US version, and then replace the Japanese text that appears within these scenes with the English dialog. Unless someone wanted to actually translate the Japanese version itself as a workaround but that turns it more into a full blown fan translation...for a game already translated. I don't think a niche series would warrant all of that work, sadly, as much as I dig stealth games like Tenchu.

CG scenes would be another matter, but there's not many of those. None of these scenes have subtitles in the Japanese version, so I would imagine the obstacle is the video format itself.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6790 on: July 30, 2020, 08:28:58 pm »
If someone can add Luigi in that Sonic hack that Sics did a while back, I think it'd be pretty cool so see in 8-bit. :D

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: August 01, 2020, 11:01:41 am »
Did you know that the GBA Version of Mission Impossible Operation Surma uses the same engine as Resident Evil Gaiden for the GBC (except the combat parts)? Playing the game made me think if Resident Evil Gaiden could have got a GBA sequel, instead of a handheld port of the multiplatform Mission Impossible game, so my hack idea: hack the GBA Version of Mission Impossible Operation Surma and turn it into Resident Evil Gaiden 2.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:40:20 pm by A.W. Laris Borromeo »
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #6792 on: August 01, 2020, 03:21:22 pm »
I can't belive that I'm saying this but is it possible for someone to create more tracks from Shaq Fu from SEGA Genesis to SNES? I wan't to know what it would sound like on the SNES version.
I might go back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6793 on: August 02, 2020, 07:07:03 am »
Is there any hope of a full and complete restoration of Famicom microphone functionality in the English NES version of Zelda?

Edit: Maybe not. TCRF says it should work... https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda/Console_Differences
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:13:25 am by tc »

Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: August 02, 2020, 09:56:10 am »
Not really an idea, more of a curiosity. Would it be possible to remove the "spell pause" from the PSP(or any of their versions, really) Star Ocean games?

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #6795 on: August 02, 2020, 01:02:58 pm »
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, change the Glyph Sleeve relic so that each set can also have different equipment, like the Doppelganger soul in Dawn of Sorrow.
"Genocide is just another game. It doesn't matter whether it's humans or Makai residents." - Yuuka Kazami

xsc

• View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: August 02, 2020, 06:38:38 pm »
Suggestions...

2 Player coop mode for NES Double Dragon.
2 Player coop mode for NES Bad Dudes.
2 Player coop mode for NES TMNT.
4 Player coop mode for NES TMNT II.
3-4 Player Pro Wrestling (teams or every man for himself, or just 2 players vs the computer!).

Yeah, I love those coop mods!  :woot!:

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: August 03, 2020, 04:31:43 pm »
I just saw a youtube video on Legendary Wings and learned in the arcade version you played a female character named Michelle Heart and the second player as Kevin Walker. The NES version has both of its protagonists as men. I thought it would be interesting if one of them could be changed into Michelle Heart from the arcade version

foiopaulo

• View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: August 03, 2020, 06:19:41 pm »
How feasible a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night port for SNES would be?

August 03, 2020, 06:40:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, a long, long time ago, I remember reading something about a Street Fighter II graphics hack, that changed the character sprites to their Alpha/Zero aesthetics. Anyone remember something like this?

(It was sometime before the SSF2T Remaster being released. Also, Dan was playable, IIRC).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:40:13 pm by foiopaulo »

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6799 on: August 04, 2020, 01:18:18 am »
 A SNES SOTN Port would be cool. I would also like someone to turn Nightmare Circus, for Sega Genesis, into a playable game. It needs better control scheme and response time, improved hitboxes, hint system, better life bar, but was legitimately a creepy game that needs to be hacked! Also, once done swap main character with someone from Castlevania series.  :happy:
Insert "Witty Text" here.