News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2044997 times)

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6680 on: June 23, 2020, 09:48:53 pm »
Well ...  after a very long while,  i am considering doing 3 more Blaster Master hacks with completely new layouts.
Every single level rebuilt from the ground up.

I am going to do this, so this isn't so much as a hack idea somebody isn't going to do, but 'I'm' going to do this eventually.

The next one i have planned is Blaster Master Typhoon.
There will be a-lot more water in the very first level.

I am hardcore Blaster Master, so don't ask me why i'm making yet another level hack.
I just enjoy it from time to time.
Blaster Master Hacker

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: June 23, 2020, 10:42:45 pm »
For any RPGs that have random enemy encounters, a way of resuming the music close to where it was right before the encounter. This could be handled by:
  • Pushing the track pointers and state of all sound registers at the time of the encounter, and restoring them after the encounter
  • Storing multiple states of songs at a convenient point to resume (such as, at the start of a new section), and resuming the song from one of these states based on where the song was interrupted, or even just round robin
  • Storing duplicates of entire songs / track pointers in different sequence of song sections (e.g., the first duplicate of the song starts in the middle instead of the beginning) and cycling between them after each encounter
It really gets on my nerves hearing a song start over again and again. My most painful recollection is with Phantasy Star 3 dungeon music, which probably prevented me from finishing the game. Phantasy Star 2 wasn't innocent either, and I loved the music, but the repetition drove me nuts.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: June 24, 2020, 01:04:33 pm »
Looking back at the Disney Magical Quest games on SNES and GBA, I noticed one thing that should have been done. On the second game, on the SNES, it was titled Great Circus Mystery and even though the third game got translated, it didn't have a unique title like Circus Mystery/Magical Quest 2 did. I was wondering if a new title could be implemented on the 3rd game or, if you wanna keep it in consistency, have the second title on the SNES version change back to Magical Quest 2, but in English like they had with the GBA port. Thought I'd ask

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: June 24, 2020, 04:45:24 pm »
How about an improvement hack for Castlevania Dracula X for SNES.

-Reduce the knock back.
-Increase the recovery time.
-Improve the jumping controls to be like Super Castlevania 4.
-Restore some of the crosses and blood from the Japanese version.
-Remove the pits for the Dracula fight.

I would think this would greatly improve the game.

Not really what you been looking for but I was mostly frustrated by how slow the game is. I increased the moonwalk speed. So when you hold Y you can run backwards. Once I had in mind to release it since I had a good time with it but it is too cheep. I don't think I will to much for this game any time soon.

Patch for RunSpeedMoonwalk:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzxm6hwpcod17jr/Dracula%20X%20%28U%29%20FastMoonwalk.zip?dl=0
CV ROM DiscordServer
https://discord.gg/PvFgxRg

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: June 25, 2020, 03:31:18 am »
I was able to restore the red blood for both Richter & Death and the original sprite for the cross weapon.

But I can't figure out how to restore the tombstones, Death's original defeated animation and the cross weapon sprite icon that appears in Richter’s life bar, I have no idea where they are in all three ROMs.

Fox Bluereaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: June 25, 2020, 03:56:52 pm »
Can't believe I registered here so many years ago, yet I never posted anything.

Anyway, I've been using the patches for the PSX Mega Man games, and they've made the experience A LOT more enjoyable. In X5 and X6, they've removed pretty much every single thing that made those games so tedious, and I don't have to put up with that annoying VA in the cinematics of X4 and MM8.

Still, one of my major complains in X4 is how unfair I feel the game is when playing as Zero compared to X. For starters, the Shippuuga feels like an almost useless attack until the final boss (to me at least), and it's supposed to be Magma Dragoon's weakness (the Raijingeki hits him harder, but the only safe moment to use it is when he uses his fire breath attack). And the Black Armor doesn't do give him anything, unlike X5 and X6.

If anybody's up for it, I'd like to see somebody fix those issues in X4. Like making the Shippuuga an actual weakness (giving it similar stun effect as X's Double Cyclone) and make the Black Armor an actual powerup (damage halved with no recoil, Tenkuuha by default, and maybe giving the Rakuhouha a couple of extra uses).

On another front, has anybody considered making an X7 demake in 2D with the X4-X6 style?

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: June 25, 2020, 10:17:29 pm »
Here's a few ideas for an improvement hack for Megaman 1.

-Have the recovery time protect you from spikes like in the sequels.

-Have hyper bombs explode when they hit an enemy.

-Remove the need to find blocks just to use super arm allowing the player to use it anytime they feel.

-Add in the slide and charge shot.

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #6687 on: June 26, 2020, 06:23:54 am »
I just submitted a patch that removes those annoying pits (...)

YOU DID IT!
I can't believe!
Thank you SO much for this!

:beer: :thumbsup: :woot!:
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

foiopaulo

• View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: June 26, 2020, 07:48:31 am »
Some games that never received any love, and should get a hack:

- Metal Warriors (SNES)
- Demon's Crest (SNES)
- Treasure Hunter G (SNES)

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #6689 on: June 26, 2020, 08:51:30 am »
Not really what you been looking for but I was mostly frustrated by how slow the game is. I increased the moonwalk speed. So when you hold Y you can run backwards. Once I had in mind to release it since I had a good time with it but it is too cheep. I don't think I will to much for this game any time soon.

Patch for RunSpeedMoonwalk:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzxm6hwpcod17jr/Dracula%20X%20%28U%29%20FastMoonwalk.zip?dl=0

I tried the patch and it worked — and I found out very interesting...
Could help on a serious play run.

Question:

Why did you assign it to the Y (whip/attack) button?
Why not assign it, for example to L button?
(For Belmont's Family holy sake not to R button, please  :laugh:)

I think it could work best t use it on the B (jump button), what do you think?
Is it possible to release another version?

OH MY GOD. I know this game FOR YEARS, and NEVER, EVER, knew we had such a feature like WALK BACKWARDS while pressing Y! I can't believe it!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:28:58 pm by cospefogo »
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Flo_o

• View Profile
« Reply #6690 on: June 26, 2020, 08:55:14 am »
Would love to see a map editor / game editor for the nes game 'Little Ninja Brothers' (also known as Super Chinese 2). Always had the idea to re-create Super Chinese 3 out of Little Ninja Brothers because i hate the fight mechanism in Super Chinese 3, it's really slow and boring.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: June 27, 2020, 05:55:04 am »
Recently it came out Namco Museum Archives Vol 1 and 2.
Vol 1 includes a "demake" of Pac-Man Championship Edition for NES (it's an actual NES rom).
The thing is that it has a Normal mode of 5 minutes and an Extra mode (my favourite) of 3 minutes.
Would be possible to edit the game so Extra mode has 5 minutes too?

I also have a request regarding Pac-Man Championship Edition for NES. In the original Xbox 360 game it was based on, after eating all the dots on one side of the maze, that side goes dark as the fruit appears on the opposite side of the maze. Upon eating that fruit, the layout for the dark side of the maze changes and it shines bright, before becoming normally lit again. In the NES version, however, nothing happens to the side of the maze upon eating all of its dots until you eat the fruit, afterwards the layout changes, but it goes dark, then bright.

Here are two videos so you can look at what I'm talking about: one for the Xbox 360 game, and  one for the NES port.

What I'd like is to see is the original Xbox 360 behavior restored in the NES version.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: June 27, 2020, 07:53:02 pm »
Looking back at the Disney Magical Quest games on SNES and GBA, I noticed one thing that should have been done. On the second game, on the SNES, it was titled Great Circus Mystery and even though the third game got translated, it didn't have a unique title like Circus Mystery/Magical Quest 2 did. I was wondering if a new title could be implemented on the 3rd game or, if you wanna keep it in consistency, have the second title on the SNES version change back to Magical Quest 2, but in English like they had with the GBA port. Thought I'd ask
I can think of one good reason for them to have chosen a different title: that the second game was the only one released on Genesis. (that probably isn't the likely reason they chose to rebrand it, but it is one plausible.)
The first game was announced, but we can only imagine they canceled it due to its proximity to the development of the second game. Even if Capcom was already making a name for itself as the reheated sequel master, that might have been a bit too daring for them to release them months apart. :D
(though in defense, at least unlike say Imagineering, they produced games worth rehashing :) )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: June 28, 2020, 09:24:19 am »
It would be nice if someone did a overhaul hack of the NES port of Donkey Kong and made a NES port of Sunsoft's "Kangaroo" arcade game
and i don't mean just a direct fanmade conversion, I wanna see it with more levels and some nods to the "Saturday Supercade" TV adaptation of the game

wiiluvglover64

• View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: June 29, 2020, 12:30:02 am »
star fox 64 console compatible coop

new star fox 64 campaign with new levels new story, new voice over.

fox in space ROM hack for n64 based on the youtube cartoon 'fox in space' based on star fox.

star fox 64 ROM hack with new levels and texture change to have the graphics and ship models from star fox snes.

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: June 29, 2020, 02:10:11 am »
The Japanese version of Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts have characters based on Konami games (since both games were published by Konami in Japan) and that was the idea during the localization, infact it was actually localized by Koji "IGA" Igarashi, whom is the producer of the Castlevania series at the time, that's why I hope someone makes a hack of the original US and European versions of the games to include them (and why I want to add them).

*Solid Snake, Big Boss, Old Snake (MGS) (Removed in Super Scribblenauts)
*Goemon and Ebisumaru (from Ganbare Goemon, because recently SNES Goemon games have been translated, and Ebisu was removed in Super)
*Alucard (because IGA)
*Power Pro-Kun (because of the recent Pawapuro game that came out on the Switch along with Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2019)
*Shiori Fukisaki (from the first TokiMemo, and due to its inclusion in the PC-Engine Mini due to the included bonus games)
*Takane Manaka (LovePlus)
*Mimi and Nyami (Pop'n Music)
*Vic Viper (Gradius)
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: June 29, 2020, 11:03:54 pm »
I looked back at the Cyber City Oedo 808 anime and it got me thinking how underrated this OVA series was, especially its game. I really hope someone does a translation (probably with a fandub that's kind of similar to the English UK dub).

fooness

• View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: June 30, 2020, 08:31:11 am »
Improvement for: Seiken Densetsu 3 / Trials of Mana

There’s something visual that always bugged me very lots when playing Seiken Densetsu 3 … maybe someone here knows why this is the case, and maybe this could even be fixed. And I’m not talking about the menu, don’t get me started … that’s probably the very worst part of Seiken Densetsu 3 though I fear this cannot be fixed as it would probably be a hell of a job.

The second party member’s HP/MP/etc is aligned to the very right border of the screen. The third party member’s HP/MP/etc has some space (padding?) to the left border of the screen (which looks very much better). Do you think it would be possible to move that second player’s HP/MP/etc some bit to the left?

EDIT: Same is true for the shop menu, the GP/money box on the left, and Buy/Sell/Back selection menu on the right, as well as some yes/no boxes on the left (“Sent to storage?”, “Purchase this armor/weapon a second time?”). I can think of other occurences of boxes aligned too far to the right border of the screen, e.g. the ship menu (which port, yes/no) … and probably there’s one or two more.

PS: This was cross-posted on the Sin of Mana forums.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 11:29:02 am by fooness »

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: June 30, 2020, 11:30:03 pm »
Here's an improvement patch idea. In Soul Blazer for the SNES add in the ability to walk diagonally.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: June 30, 2020, 11:45:13 pm »
I would like to see someone finish up the abandoned Klonoa Heroes English translation hack.