News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2516838 times)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6360 on: February 08, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »
Playing HeartGold now and I suddenly wondered about a possible "restoration" for GB Sounds' tunes to make them sound exactly like the GB-counterparts instead of being more recreated from scratch in means of sound?

Not bad on their own, but I kinda wonder how it'd be like to get the sounds as they were composed in the originals more faithfully, like the GB Sounds were in Pokemon Throwback Red.

I haven't looked into how/why it happened. You'd expect recreating the music to take longer than using an emulator-like approach.

For that matter, Gold and Silver have never had an actual OST release...

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: February 08, 2020, 05:55:58 pm »
For Oracle of Ages, replace the dreary brown look of the past with present time's palette. Ambi's Palace garden is the only place in the past to have present-like palette.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6362 on: February 08, 2020, 11:51:49 pm »
Somehow Expand Super Mario Bros 3's Nes capabilities, To Make up to 12 or 15, maybe 18 Worlds.

This would be outstanding. I know this is kinda a pipe dream. Or might be over-asking majorly.

Anyways.. ,

February 09, 2020, 12:00:36 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I'll Put One last one out there.

(Super Mario World + Extended)

I always felt the game Super Mario world was waay too short.
There should be a good number of extra levels before each koopaling' boss.

One example is the short lack of levels when you get to the bridge to go to Ludwig Von Koopa.
There is only like 1 or a couple levels after you have defeated the last Koopaling before him. This should drastically be changed and that bridge should be a miniture area of its own, plus any area's in between koopaling' are added and expanded.

This would make Super Mario World just as big as Mario-3 or possibly a bit bigger in size.
Maybe build a whole extra island or two of levels in the game to expand this method.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:03:22 am by SkyLizardGirl »
-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently
-Messing with some Zelda Nes Rom stuff

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: February 09, 2020, 01:14:16 am »
Disregard this post, I'm dumb lol.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:28:37 am by Kallisto »

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
« Reply #6364 on: February 09, 2020, 05:52:22 am »

Maybe build a whole extra island or two of levels in the game to expand this method.

Curiously, I always felt the opposite - the game had more than enough levels, but most are so vanilla as to be uninteresting. There are a couple of fun ones but the game only "takes off" so to speak in the Star Road, with actually engaging levels. This idea that I have to run through dozens of ho hum levels to "earn" my way to a nobler, more focused design put me off the game for a long time. I never returned to it, unlike SMB3, which is still great.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: February 09, 2020, 09:50:54 pm »
I think both SMB3 & SMW have enough levels, you don't want to make them too long.

The hack I want to see for SMB3 is one that will give Luigi his own set of sprites instead of sharing Mario's.

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: February 10, 2020, 07:53:34 pm »
Latest build of FCEUX supports Virtual Boy Controllers. Is there a way to have Crazy Climber use the Virtual Boy controller since it has 2 dpads on it

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6367 on: February 10, 2020, 08:27:06 pm »
Somehow Expand Super Mario Bros 3's Nes capabilities, To Make up to 12 or 15, maybe 18 Worlds.

This would be outstanding. I know this is kinda a pipe dream. Or might be over-asking majorly.

Anyways.. ,

February 09, 2020, 12:00:36 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

One example is the short lack of levels when you get to the bridge to go to Ludwig Von Koopa.
There is only like 1 or a couple levels after you have defeated the last Koopaling before him. This should drastically be changed and that bridge should be a miniture area of its own, plus any area's in between koopaling' are added and expanded.

This would make Super Mario World just as big as Mario-3 or possibly a bit bigger in size.

Actually I believe all of the levels on the top of mountain, as well as the secret water level under the bridge, are meant to be part of Ludwig's "World", they just really made a mess of arranging it so that you have to find the secret exit in Vanilla Dome to experience it all.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
« Reply #6368 on: February 11, 2020, 09:22:16 am »
MY IDEAS - (feel free to steal them)

modification for Shadowrun (SNES):

ability to use knives like some of the enemies, like the first opponent in the arena. still have the crosshair but when you press A on a target Jake will run right up to them and slash em. once he's right next to them each time you press A he will slash just like he shoots everytime you press A.

have it as a skill set (like melee weapons) so you can upgrade using karma and have a couple different knives for sale in the firearm store in the empty display cases. maybe first one = pocket knife, second one = stilleto switchblade, third one = balisong / butterfly knife

Actually, there is an Unarmed Combat skill in the game but the mercenary Anders is the only one with it. You can Game Genie your way into having Jake have it as well, but it does nothing - but then, there are no usable melee weapons (or items that would count as such), so it's hard to tell if the skill is functional or not.

But speaking about the SNES version of Shadowrun, it would be nice to see a hack that imported the JP intro and title screen palettes. Both are far superior to the US release.

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: February 11, 2020, 03:32:27 pm »
But speaking about the SNES version of Shadowrun, it would be nice to see a hack that imported the JP intro and title screen palettes. Both are far superior to the US release.

Personally I prefer the US title screen. Less is more IMO. And it sets the mood perfectly. The Japanese one goes on for too long, like an information dump.

But I would like the Japanese intro as well. The cutscene with Kitsune (that sounded funny) should play by default.

I really like that game.

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
« Reply #6370 on: February 11, 2020, 04:12:50 pm »
Personally I prefer the US title screen. Less is more IMO. And it sets the mood perfectly. The Japanese one goes on for too long, like an information dump.

I'll grant you that, but it does stick closer to the original PnP setting (if one appreciates it) and does expand upon the lore of the game, which the US version largely neglects, making it seem like a generic, doom'n'gloom future society with not much to go by in diversity.

Maybe a compromise could be reached by expanding the backstory while cutting out the fat.

But I would like the Japanese intro as well. The cutscene with Kitsune (that sounded funny) should play by default.

That would be nice indeed.

I really like that game.

I always felt the Genesis version to be superior by a considerable margin, but the SNES version is a fine game too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 05:05:47 pm by 4lorn »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6371 on: February 11, 2020, 05:04:34 pm »
Gauntlet IV improvement hack (MD)
-Health items aren't destructible or can take 2-3 hits
-Added short range attack speed stat and you get the manual melee attack ring either by default or very early - makes the manual melee attack more useful
-Make it so that if your key/bomb inventory is full then you can still move past a placed key/bomb potion if it's blocking a path
-Strafing with 6-button controller - means there's much less unavoidable damage
-Text & voice hints are voice only and don't pause gameplay

-At 10+ speed the scrolling will still keep up with your movement
-The game notifies you when all switches have been hit on a floor in quest mode
-Moving between floors in quest mode is faster
-Hitting a potion in melee with fight ring still makes it trigger
-More intuitive teleporter mazes in how you can steer where to go in water tower and earth tower for example

-Trapped chests in quest mode start moving a bit sooner so you don't have to shoot each one to be safe
-Less destructible walls to destroy to find hidden switches in quest mode
-Previously uncollected treasure doesn't disappear after having pressed all switches on a floor
-More minor shortcuts in quest mode to avoid backtracking
-The shortcut path stairs (quest mode has a set of these for each dungeon) are marked in a different color to help navigation since there are no maps

-The game also saves opened doors progress in quest mode
-Added enemy variety in quest mode (thieves from arcade mode can be easily added and perhaps also the unique Gauntlet 2 enemies)
-Added difficulty options in quest mode
-Higher contrast and detail on par with the arcade game
-Added sfx when attacking in melee and when hitting things in melee or ranged

-Some of the "confuse" and "slow" ground tiles are changed to make gameplay on some floors less tedious (or there could be a new potion that negates them for a limited time)
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Domino089

• View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: February 12, 2020, 03:06:44 pm »
I have a couple of ideas more than hacks are improvements for "Super Mario World" and "Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World", if anyone is interested in doing them.

Super Mario World: change the Luigi sprite for the new one that appears in "Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World" and when we only play with player 1, we have the possibility to choose whether to play with Mario or Luigi

Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World:

• Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World: when we only play with player 1 have the possibility to choose whether to play with Mario or Luigi

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6373 on: February 12, 2020, 11:33:07 pm »
I'll grant you that, but it does stick closer to the original PnP setting (if one appreciates it) and does expand upon the lore of the game, which the US version largely neglects, making it seem like a generic, doom'n'gloom future society with not much to go by in diversity.

Maybe a compromise could be reached by expanding the backstory while cutting out the fat.

That would be nice indeed.

I always felt the Genesis version to be superior by a considerable margin, but the SNES version is a fine game too.

I still play the Genesis version from time to time. Love the new mods of it.  :thumbsup: The SNES version could have been bigger honestly. And I never did finish it on SNES.  :-[
Insert "Witty Text" here.

GundamBattleAssault2

• View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: February 13, 2020, 01:25:01 am »
In the game Gundam Battle Assault 2 for the PS1, there are "4" unused characters that are completely inaccessible unless you use Gameshark codes. Here are the four characters and the codes that force Player1/Player2 to be those characters.

P1 The-O 800DF844 0006
P1 Zeta Gundam 800DF844 000D
P1 Qubeley 800DF844 000F
P1 Hamma Hamma 800DF844 0010

P2 The-O 800DF85E 0006
P2 Zeta Gundam 800DF85E 000D
P2 Qubeley 800DF85E 000F
P2 Hamma Hamma 800DF85E 0010

My idea for a romhack is either to add these four characters to the Character Select roster (which would be the most eloquent) OR add button combos that allow you to choose one of them by, say, "Hold R2 while selecting Burning Gundam to play as Zeta Gundam" and do this for the other three. I love this game, it's my favorite fighting game and think it would be incredible for everybody to experience this unused extra content that is locked away in the game data. Thank you.

Pezito

• View Profile
« Reply #6375 on: February 13, 2020, 05:15:24 am »
Open the ROM with a hex editor, then change the following bytes:
Go to offset 7EAF, and change FF to FE.
Go to offset 7EB7, and change 01 to 02.
At offset 7EBC, change 24 to 20.
And at offset 7EBF, change FF to FE.

This does not increase speed like the Game Genie codes you can find online. But it does bypass the small build up to gain speed, so that Flink will start jogging as soon as you press left or right.

Edit: I released a small hack for this.

That's great! Thanks a lot! :) I just changed the offsets in my rom like you said, and it worked like a charm. (Saw your link to the patch but I wanted to do the editing by hand, frustrated as I was not to have figured out the offsets by myself. :P ) Now Flink moves just at the right pace. Funny how so slight a change can make the whole game much more enjoyable. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
« Reply #6376 on: February 13, 2020, 02:13:47 pm »
That's great! Thanks a lot! :) I just changed the offsets in my rom like you said, and it worked like a charm. (Saw your link to the patch but I wanted to do the editing by hand, frustrated as I was not to have figured out the offsets by myself. :P ) Now Flink moves just at the right pace. Funny how so slight a change can make the whole game much more enjoyable. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

You're welcome  :)

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: February 13, 2020, 04:12:30 pm »
On the subject of localizing texts, I seem to notice that games like Zyuranger gets a Power Rangers type of translation as of the Kyatto Ninden Teyandee gets a Samurai Pizza Cats style translation with only 2 games featuring Sailor Moon only having a DIC/Cloverway style translation (Nakayoshi & Me and Sailor Moon Super S Floating Party Panic) alongside the original translated versions. And I'm wondering why that is. I know people are going to harass and bully me for this kind of thinking (especially since I can't stand the Viz dub no matter how much I tried to be forced to like it by everyone just to fit in with the fad crowd), but I noticed some Sailor Moon games that got translated didn't have the same kind of translation done like they did with the other games. Why is that? I'm surprised at least 2 games let you choose the names/translation styles, but why not the others? Thought I'd ask. :-[

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: February 14, 2020, 12:01:54 pm »
Ys 3 on PCE CD has an awesome sound track but I dislike it over the Genesis version because the scrolling is weird.

The Sega CD has an unused audio mode exploited through several rom hacks for the classic Sonic games that plays red book audio while a cartridge is playing.

A hack of the genesis version with its superior scrolling that puts in the kick ass PCECD OST would be a god send.

robertya1027

• View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: February 15, 2020, 03:19:00 am »
So...this game has been un-translated for 25 years, and a lot of people fail.  I'd like to see a port of the first game. Why isn't Tokimemo 1  translated yet? It's like a curse...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:55:21 am by robertya1027 »