News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1826387 times)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6340 on: January 27, 2020, 02:10:16 pm »
With the new translations of Goemon, here's something I think would perhaps be neat to spice up Impact segments: a chiptuned version of "I AM IMPACT", either based on the NDS version (should be easier to lift and convert) or N64/Pachislot (Pachislot's is cleaner-sounding).

Nightshift Nurse

• View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: January 27, 2020, 08:31:03 pm »
I'm still waiting for the day when somebody remembers that Final Fight 2 exists and either restores the censored elements to the U.S. version or creates an English translation for the Japanese one.

I realize I'm in a minority here, but I always preferred Final Fight 2 over 3.

Beyond that, just title screen hacks for Bare Knuckle 3 and the SNES Goemon sequels.

Lilith

• View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: January 27, 2020, 11:36:58 pm »
Since the Switch version of Link's Awakening has some of its own issues (floaty controls at times, added Pegasus Boots charge time, filter), why not make a Link's Awakening DX hack that simply adds all the Switch QOL changes (text speed, less annoying powerup sound, sword/boots/shield assigned to buttons), and possibly its other content?

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: January 28, 2020, 02:27:51 am »
I would like to see a hack for Wave Race 64 that adds the improved soundtrack from the Shindou edition to the original version.

I also would like to see a hack for Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (N64) that adds the improved sound effects & music from the Japanese version to the American version as well.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: January 28, 2020, 04:39:15 am »
Absolutely crazy idea but how about a hack that replaces all the spritework in Secret of Mana with the fancier looking sprites from the iPhone port?

Could give the game a nice fresh look.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/mobile/secretofmanaiphone/

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #6345 on: January 29, 2020, 12:45:51 am »
I'm still waiting for the day when somebody remembers that Final Fight 2 exists and either restores the censored elements to the U.S. version or creates an English translation for the Japanese one.

I realize I'm in a minority here, but I always preferred Final Fight 2 over 3.

Beyond that, just title screen hacks for Bare Knuckle 3 and the SNES Goemon sequels.

YES to all of this!

KurisuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: January 29, 2020, 07:17:45 am »
Heres some hacks that shouldnt take long. Dragon Ball Advanced Adventured and DBZ Supersonic Warriors (in Japan)both had the anime theme song playing in the menu. Overseas we got a lame generic tune for both games, due to copyrights. It would be cool if someone hacked the USA/EU versions to play the anime songs on the menu too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itUumKESTUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O91WG0TvD8c

Tobas

• Need a Spanish translator? I'm your man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: January 29, 2020, 02:15:23 pm »
would it be possible to hack in the mini map from the sega ages phantasy star release into the original rom?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: January 30, 2020, 06:06:31 am »
I am not going to say impossible but that would be a fairly serious hack. Displaying something on top would already be fun enough, especially on a master system, but you would also get to remake the graphics for it.
Or if you prefer there is a reason racing games and these sorts of games tended to opt for a circle moving between islands of squares, squares connected by variously shaded/coloured other squares, possibly on a secondary screen. Doing some kind of uncover the map on top of this only makes things more fun.

In an emulator you can tickle with lua or something you control the high level code for then that is a different matter.

I think it will probably come down to if you can't (be bothered to) remember the mazes that some of those games ended up having then play the new stuff, print a map from a faq or kick it really old school and draw your own.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6349 on: January 31, 2020, 02:40:56 pm »
A Cooly Skunk translation and conversion to a standard ROM, since it was originally a BS-X game.

Your wish has been granted. Check the Personal Projects section. 8)

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: January 31, 2020, 05:05:44 pm »
@WeebeeGeebee

So, I stumbled upon a post you made last year about Dracula X for the SNES.

I actually reinstated the cross and Richter's original death palette around the time I was working on my Megaman VII translation. It's been sitting on an USB device since then. I didn't think much about it because I also wanted to restore the Warlock's tombstones and Death's blood and, uh, death from the japanese version, but could never do it. The tombstones I can somewhat find with the Konami decompressor but the compressor never seems to work with the game; and Death would require programming knowledge.

If you were serious, I can upload it as is to RHDN.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: January 31, 2020, 10:58:59 pm »
@4lorn

What's funny is I was working on a restoration hack for both international versions of Dracula X as well, the only things I was able to restore is the red blood for both Richter & Death and the original sprite for the cross weapon.

Just like you, I'm having problems restoring the tombstones, Death's original defeated animation and the cross weapon sprite icon that appears in Richter’s life bar, I have no idea where they are in all three ROMs.

@Nightshift Nurse

I did some improvements to the Japanese version of Final Fight 2, I changed the numbers of lives you start with up to 8, changed Rolent's name to Rolento, changed the colors of his uniform to his FF1 colors, fixed up the text for some of the items and the format of the time shown on the names of the stages.

The only things I can't do is change the cut-scene text to English and change "YOU ARE SUPER PLAYER!" to "YOU ARE A SUPER PLAYER!".
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:35:09 pm by SCD »

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: February 01, 2020, 02:04:10 am »
It's nice to see the community, after 30 years of basically nothing, fix up FF2 on NES. There have been essentially zero romhacks that are not a complete overhaul of balance, text etc. Now, in the era of "quality of life" romhacks, it's refreshing to see old games be polished to a mirror sheen.

The only one left after FF2 is FF3. I want Final Fantasy III Restored. Like the two games before it, there are several bugs involving how spells work (though not quite as many) and a large number of elemental equipment doesn't work at all. And like the other Restored hacks, the Prelude theme could have the extra section that later editions have, and a fancy title screen could be added where previously there was none. Optional balance changes could be applied that reflect how FFV and FF3DS handle the job system (the FF3 Redux hack already does this to some degree, but it might've gone too far in a few places).

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: February 01, 2020, 04:37:21 am »
@WeebeeGeebee

So, I stumbled upon a post you made last year about Dracula X for the SNES.

I actually reinstated the cross and Richter's original death palette around the time I was working on my Megaman VII translation. It's been sitting on an USB device since then. I didn't think much about it because I also wanted to restore the Warlock's tombstones and Death's blood and, uh, death from the japanese version, but could never do it. The tombstones I can somewhat find with the Konami decompressor but the compressor never seems to work with the game; and Death would require programming knowledge.

If you were serious, I can upload it as is to RHDN.
@4lorn

What's funny is I was working on a restoration hack for both international versions of Dracula X as well, the only things I was able to restore is the red blood for both Richter & Death and the original sprite for the cross weapon.

Just like you, I'm having problems restoring the tombstones, Death's original defeated animation and the cross weapon sprite icon that appears in Richter’s life bar, I have no idea where they are in all three ROMs.

@Nightshift Nurse

I did some improvements to the Japanese version of Final Fight 2, I changed the numbers of lives you start with up to 8, changed Rolent's name to Rolento, changed the colors of his uniform to his FF1 colors, fixed up the text for some of the items and the format of the time shown on the names of the stages.

The only things I can't do is change the cut-scene text to English and change "YOU ARE SUPER PLAYER!" to "YOU ARE A SUPER PLAYER!".
I want to see a small hack for the Japanese version of Final Fight CD that adds the animated backgrounds for stage 3 & 4 from the American version to this version.

But I have a feeling that they are in this version, the coding for them may have got messed up during the development.

If they are in there, is there a way to fix the coding and get them to work?
Nice, some love for the SNES Dracula X game would be a welcome change. Also, Final Fight CD and Final Fight 2 changes? Great!

Your wish has been granted. Check the Personal Projects section. 8)
Thanks again. I'll be following your projects as they pop-out, the Super Bomberman 5 preview was great.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 04:45:30 am by niuus »

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: February 01, 2020, 05:55:13 am »
@4lorn

I don't think I managed to find Death's blood. I remember updating the palette but it had no effect. I also don't think I found the HUD cross.

As for the tombstones they're somewhere after offset 118500 in both games (offset 118000 is the Warlock himself and his effects, 2000 bytes compressed). If you use the SNES Konami decompressor you can check them, but at the time couldn't find the exact offset). I remember at the time I tried something like copying the entire data field into the US version. Sure enough, the tombstones were restored but... If you password into level 4', it will be fine but if you start from the beginning, the game locks at the end of level 1.

And for some reason the compressor doesn't seem to be able to compress data back for the game.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: February 01, 2020, 05:38:09 pm »
Removing the annoying "twang" effect from Zelda 2's music. The FDS version didn't have the twang (or at least, it wasn't as harsh) and is much easier on the ears. Porting over FDS's battle theme wouldn't be bad either.

PirateMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: February 02, 2020, 10:55:44 pm »
Removing the annoying "twang" effect from Zelda 2's music. The FDS version didn't have the twang (or at least, it wasn't as harsh) and is much easier on the ears. Porting over FDS's battle theme wouldn't be bad either.
Why not a proper fan translation of the FDS ROM?

Bjankins

• View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: February 03, 2020, 06:26:59 pm »
What about a hack that aims to restore the lost presentation of calibur 50 for sega genesis, anyway to bring sound effects back and voices? Or the missing helicopter introduction?

Pezito

• View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: February 04, 2020, 10:48:21 am »
How about hacking The Misadventures of Flink (Sega Megadrive/Genesis) so that the main character's walk isn't sluggish anymore? (Hi by the way. ^^/ )

I've always liked this game, one of the most beautifully done on that console (I mean look at those graphics, for once they weren't put to shame by the SNES larger color palette)... Problem is, the hero walks very slowly for a few steps when he starts walking, then after a distance he jogs to a more enjoyable speed. I've been wanting to "fix" that by making him jog all the time, bypassing the first two seconds of sluggish walk... But so far my attempts at generating a cheat code for this have failed. I would love to succeed and, why not, directly hack the rom for his walking speed to be permanently faster.

Any idea?

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: February 04, 2020, 04:56:44 pm »
How about hacking The Misadventures of Flink (Sega Megadrive/Genesis) so that the main character's walk isn't sluggish anymore? (Hi by the way. ^^/ )

I've always liked this game, one of the most beautifully done on that console (I mean look at those graphics, for once they weren't put to shame by the SNES larger color palette)... Problem is, the hero walks very slowly for a few steps when he starts walking, then after a distance he jogs to a more enjoyable speed. I've been wanting to "fix" that by making him jog all the time, bypassing the first two seconds of sluggish walk... But so far my attempts at generating a cheat code for this have failed. I would love to succeed and, why not, directly hack the rom for his walking speed to be permanently faster.

Any idea?

Open the ROM with a hex editor, then change the following bytes:
Go to offset 7EAF, and change FF to FE.
Go to offset 7EB7, and change 01 to 02.
At offset 7EBC, change 24 to 20.
And at offset 7EBF, change FF to FE.

This does not increase speed like the Game Genie codes you can find online. But it does bypass the small build up to gain speed, so that Flink will start jogging as soon as you press left or right.

Edit: I released a small hack for this.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:06:05 pm by 4lorn »