News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1615557 times)

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6320 on: January 20, 2020, 01:03:52 pm »
EDIT

moved to next page
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:35:40 pm by sil3nt_j »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: January 20, 2020, 03:18:51 pm »
Hack idea:

Redo the music for Dragon Quest I and II for super nintendo or put in the GBC ost (which is ten times better imo).

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6322 on: January 20, 2020, 07:48:54 pm »
 How about a SNES port of Rocket Knight Adventures, prequel to Sparkster?

Or ANY hack of Rocket Knight Adventures for that matter!  :happy:
Insert "Witty Text" here.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6323 on: January 21, 2020, 08:11:44 am »
Tecmo Cup Football Game (Megadrive) could use typo fixes. Just in the tutorial before starting the first match, there's errors such as "passscut", "haress" and "opponet".

streetsofrage47

• View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: January 21, 2020, 04:41:02 pm »
I see there are 206 level editors on romhacking.net. But none for Sega Genesis - Desert Strike - Return to the Gulf, one of the best video games of all time. It seems like it would be one of the best games to make custom levels for, about as good as Super Mario World if you ask me. Is there any Desert Strike fans or communities that would want to make this idea a reality? How hard would it be to make a level editor for Desert Strike like Lunar Magic for Super Mario World? Can anyone who knows how to make level editors (like "FuSoYa") make one for Desert Strike? Is there any chance of there being a Desert Strike level editor for the romhacking community in the near future? It just seems like there are so many lesser popular/great games that have level editors, but Desert Stike, one of the best games of all time, does not have one, seems odd to me. Can anyone provide any feedback on this idea? Thanks.

timeisup

• View Profile
« Reply #6325 on: January 21, 2020, 06:53:58 pm »
How about a SNES port of Rocket Knight Adventures, prequel to Sparkster?

Or ANY hack of Rocket Knight Adventures for that matter!  :happy:

Yay yay! Love Rocket Knight Adventures.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: January 21, 2020, 07:08:24 pm »
I see there are 206 level editors on romhacking.net. But none for Sega Genesis - Desert Strike - Return to the Gulf, one of the best video games of all time. It seems like it would be one of the best games to make custom levels for, about as good as Super Mario World if you ask me. Is there any Desert Strike fans or communities that would want to make this idea a reality? How hard would it be to make a level editor for Desert Strike like Lunar Magic for Super Mario World? Can anyone who knows how to make level editors (like "FuSoYa") make one for Desert Strike? Is there any chance of there being a Desert Strike level editor for the romhacking community in the near future? It just seems like there are so many lesser popular/great games that have level editors, but Desert Stike, one of the best games of all time, does not have one, seems odd to me. Can anyone provide any feedback on this idea? Thanks.
Because reverse-engineering the game data to figure out all the level data takes time, and so does writing an editor itself. People don't just make level editors upon request, especially not "soon". They have to be interested enough in the game to want to devote that time. If they have that interest and motivation, then they will.

As an example, Lunar Magic is now nearly 20(!) years old. It certainly wasn't near the level of polish when it started. (it absolutely couldn't edit the map screen. I'm sure there's other sorts of limitations in the initial release.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: January 21, 2020, 09:34:37 pm »
Compiled everything I had so far for a Cobra Kai hack. Just let me know what you think:

Was thinking at the end Kreese could say something like:

"You have shown no mercy and destroyed the enemy.
You are now worthy to be called a Cobra Kai.
Strike first! Strike hard! No mercy!"

Also here's what I came up with for gameplay wise:
- Player 1 is Johnny
- Player 2 is Miguel
- All of Johnny's bosses are Daniel
- All of Miguel's bosses are Robby
- Final boss for both is Kreese
- Johnny's power ups are beer bottles
- Miguel's are his mom (edited from Kumiko)

If Miyagi and Kumiko are added:
- Miyagi's power ups are bonsai trees
- Kumiko's power ups are fans
- They both are able to collect a Daniel Power up
- Also, Miyagi breaks beer bottles instead of ice blocks
- Also, Miyagi's final boss is Sato

Was thinking a stage could be added too where you fight Miyagi, as a test of skills, and he does Drum Punches and Crane Kicks and dishes out lots of damage quickly.

ALSO

would it be possible to make a 2P co-op hack of Karate Kid or give it a character select option?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:41:08 pm by sil3nt_j »

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: January 22, 2020, 01:30:36 pm »
- Wrecking Crew (NES): fix the save/load features for the stage editor. There is an hack for fixing this in the romhacking's hack database but doesn't work

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6329 on: January 22, 2020, 04:42:42 pm »
Tecmo Cup Football Game (Megadrive) could use typo fixes. Just in the tutorial before starting the first match, there's errors such as "passscut", "haress" and "opponet".

Well, I had no idea that this game existed. I knew all about the NES Captain Tsubasa that came out as Tecmo Cup Soccer Game (those titles are quite something), but I never knew that it was an unreleased game for the Mega Drive. As you say, it's already in English, so it'll just be fixing typos. Not sure if it's worth it since the game is perfectly playable as it is.

January 22, 2020, 05:14:40 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
A Cooly Skunk translation and conversion to a standard ROM, since it was originally a BS-X game.

https://www.gamingalexandria.com/wp/2020/01/19/cooly-skunk-snes-unreleased/

Look closer at that page: it says that thanks to "the efforts of ROM hacker MasterF0x", you can play the whole game in standard .sfc format. Just download it from the github page.

As soon as I heard about this game (today) I thought a translation would be worth a try. If nobody else is keen then I might fancy a go. :D Don't want to get in the way if someone else has already started, though. Maybe one of the guys around here could come up with a cute new title screen, though? :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:14:40 pm by Psyklax »

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6330 on: January 22, 2020, 05:49:15 pm »
I really want to hack RYGAR Nes.

But i can't because there is only a Dos Editor.

We really need a Level and Map editor for RYGAR NES.

I have many ideas I wanted to try with that game and i'm sure others do too.*

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29940.0 

^Topic:
Blaster Master Hacker

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6331 on: January 22, 2020, 06:09:29 pm »
Me again, I just spent a bit of time on Cooly Skunk making a table file, seems to work. Text begins at $1C5EC, as far as I can tell (I'm tired).

Code: [Select]
060F=‚ª
0610=‚¬
0611=‚®
0612=‚°
0613=‚²
0614=‚´
0615=‚¶
0616=‚¸
0617=‚º
0618=‚¼
0619=‚¾
061A=‚À
061B=‚Ã
061C=‚Å
061D=‚Ç
0623=‚Î
0624=‚Ñ
0625=‚Ô
0626=‚×
0627=‚Ú
0723=‚Ï
0724=‚Ò
0725=‚Õ
0726=‚Ø
0727=‚Û
0641=ƒK
0642=ƒM
0643=ƒO
0644=ƒQ
0645=ƒS
0646=ƒU
0647=ƒW
0648=ƒY
0649=ƒ[
064A=ƒ]
064B=ƒ_
064C=ƒa
064D=ƒd
064E=ƒf
064F=ƒh
0655=ƒo
0656=ƒr
0657=ƒu
0658=ƒx
0659=ƒ{
0755=ƒp
0756=ƒs
0757=ƒv
0758=ƒy
0759=ƒ|
04=I
05=H
06=A
07=B
08=`
09=d
0A=‚
0B=‚¢
0C=‚¤
0D=‚¦
0E=‚¨
0F=‚©
10=‚«
11=‚­
12=‚¯
13=‚±
14=‚³
15=‚µ
16=‚·
17=‚¹
18=‚»
19=‚½
1A=‚¿
1B=‚Â
1C=‚Ä
1D=‚Æ
1E=‚È
1F=‚É
20=‚Ê
21=‚Ë
22=‚Ì
23=‚Í
24=‚Ð
25=‚Ó
26=‚Ö
27=‚Ù
28=‚Ü
29=‚Ý
2A=‚Þ
2B=‚ß
2C=‚à
2D=‚â
2E=‚ä
2F=‚æ
30=‚ç
31=‚è
32=‚é
33=‚ê
34=‚ë
35=‚í
36=‚ð
37=‚ñ
38=‚Á
39=‚á
3A=‚ã
3B=‚å
3C=ƒA
3D=ƒC
3E=ƒE
3F=ƒG
40=ƒI
41=ƒJ
42=ƒL
43=ƒN
44=ƒP
45=ƒR
46=ƒT
47=ƒV
48=ƒX
49=ƒZ
4A=ƒ\
4B=ƒ^
4C=ƒ`
4D=ƒc
4E=ƒe
4F=ƒg
50=ƒi
51=ƒj
52=ƒk
53=ƒl
54=ƒm
55=ƒn
56=ƒq
57=ƒt
58=ƒw
59=ƒz
5A=ƒ}
5B=ƒ~
5C=ƒ€
5D=ƒ
5E=ƒ‚
5F=ƒ„
60=Ġ
61=ƒˆ
62=ƒ‰
63=ƒŠ
64=ƒ‹
65=ƒŒ
66=ƒ
67=ƒ
68=ƒ“
69=ƒ@
6A=ƒB
6B=ƒD
6C=ƒF
6D=ƒH
6E=ƒb
6F=ƒƒ
70=ƒ…
71=ƒ‡
7B=E
7C=
F9=[LINE3]
FA=[LINE2]
FB=[LINE1]
FC=[FC]
FD=[BRK]
FE=[FE]
FF=[END]

It's in Shift-JIS, so it should work in WH32EX. Anyone want to have a look, you're welcome, but I need sleep before I can look any more. ;)

EDIT: we're in business. 8) Unlike Super Bomberman 5, this really does look like it'd be easy.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:18:18 am by Psyklax »

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: January 23, 2020, 01:13:22 pm »
In Secret of Evermore there is this rogue, which teaches you the Atlas formula, which is annoying to level up, since it is tedious to gather the amulets each time.

He gives out the Atlas Amulet only three times, each increasing the price for each by 50 jewels.
1st buy 100
2nd buy 150
3rd buy 200

Now, it would make things much easier, if the rogue himself had a alchemy ingredient shop, selling several not easy to get ingredients for powerful alchemy formula.
As such how about setting the price for 5x Atlas Amulets to 1000 jewels, if he had a shop?

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: January 23, 2020, 02:30:36 pm »
Idea for a Punch-Out (NES) improvement hack:

Change the Star Punch behavior to be more like normal punches (low by default, and high when holding Up), rather than just being a high uppercut.

Adjust fighters to expose vulnerabilities to specifically low or high star punches.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: January 24, 2020, 01:03:24 am »
I want to see a small hack for the Japanese version of Final Fight CD that adds the animated backgrounds for stage 3 & 4 from the American version to this version.

But I have a feeling that they are in this version, the coding for them may have got messed up during the development.

If they are in there, is there a way to fix the coding and get them to work?

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: January 25, 2020, 07:27:26 am »
I wish that Secret of Mana had a Mini Map that was more like SD3's. I dunno how hard it would be for someone to add it but it would be damn useful. The Globe view is slow in movement and is kinda pointless. A big map laid out flat that shows you all the continents at once with your current location would have made much more sense.

Also it would be cool if all the smaller islands actually took you to something when you landed on them. Like if they had special unique items in chests, or super powered enemies that gave you tons of EXP like the Black Rabite in SD3.

Having all those tiny islands that you can't even land on seems such a waste.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 07:35:08 am by WeebeeGeebee »

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6336 on: January 25, 2020, 05:14:22 pm »
The fact that there are so many in depth user friendly tools for Super Mario World specifically but we still can't change the color palettes of the bosses besides Big Boo, Lemmy, and Wendy is maddening to me. There's tools for the platforms iggy and larry stand on but not iggy and larry themselves.  Is it really impossible?
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: January 25, 2020, 05:30:50 pm »
2 more hack ideas:

1) 4 Player TMNT arcade game for NES
2) A Halloween Hack of Friday the 13th. Special thanks to:  fumulover   blood martin   road2dawn   for the rips.

Just made these. If anyone's interested, let me know and I can make a title screen:

January 25, 2020, 09:54:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
A few other ideas I had for NES:

1) A hack of Robo Warrior with infinite battery that stays fully lit the whole time (and possibly holds two players simultaneous)
2) A hack of one of the Simpsons games that holds two players simultaneously and has infinite continues
3) A hack of Kirby that holds two players simultaneous
4) A hack of Zelda that holds two players simultaneous (one as Link and one as the Princess)

Also, a hack of Sega Genesis Beavis and Butthead that has them punch and kick instead of burping and farting (I have a sheet of that if anyone wants it)

EDIT

Made some alternate colors for Jason using the NES color palette:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:17:48 pm by sil3nt_j »

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: January 26, 2020, 12:44:29 pm »

Patch to enable the control pad for all SuperScope :P games (Bazooka) in Super Nes. :police:

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6339 on: January 26, 2020, 09:14:29 pm »
HACK Idea:
-----

Blaster Master Zero 2  - NES Demake.

The Game storyline would be exactly the same, going to different planets and selecting the Planet areas.

And going back to other planets later when you have the right upgrades to unlock further level, but more simple for an NES version. 

'Think of Bucky O'Hare Nes type Planet Selection'.     

It would use the Same exact Engine as the Original Blaster Master game, Only, all the bosses graphics would be changed to the

Bosses in the Zero-2 game.

Notice: The game would not be Titled as 'Blaster Master Zero 2', but Instead just (Blaster Master 2.)

It would have all the Levels of Zero-2  'Except for' but the Sideview boss battles, the only thing that could maybe be

implemented is the side-view Tank battles with the space vehicle tank Rivals and all the Big Main Monster Bosses would just be Top-down regular battles including the Final Boss..

But it would have the same exact ending where all the tank people help you defeat the final boss blasting it.

Comic Dialog cut-scenes would be copied from Zero-2 game but implemented in also for the NES Demake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4JR07RPUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4JR07RPUk

Example Of the First Two Overhead battle Bosses Below:  in the New NES Game.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:35:15 pm by SkyLizardGirl »
Blaster Master Hacker