News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1351045 times)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5940 on: July 20, 2019, 03:35:19 am »
That's one of the main reasons I feel that putting a kind of "charm" translation would be needed. Because when I played the fan translation of FF5 and the original Chrono Trigger translation (the one that I managed to play before it got taken down by Square-Enix's cease and desist), I feel like that parts of the translations...well, they just felt empty and kind of flat.

Mega Man X2 might be worth a look. Some of the enemy names are spelled oddly (Weather Cristal?), and the official translation has changes like
Spoiler:
making Zero's creator more ambiguous.

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: July 21, 2019, 08:38:16 am »
Crazy Climber for nes - anyway of modding game so only 1 controller can be used

goxor

• View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: July 21, 2019, 11:59:20 pm »
Two small improvements to the N64 Castlevanias would go a long way.

First:  Directing saves to cartridge, instead of controller pak.

Why?
Because N64 controller paks are awful at holding saves.  They depend on volatile memory using 20 year old batteries that are soldered to the board, and not replaceable. 
Also, after market controller paks are easily corrupted - making them just as bad.  Sometimes, FRAM modded controller paks pop-up on eBay for 50 bucks, but that's probably the most expensive 256kb in existence - if they're even available.

Don't cartridges use batteries too?
Yes.  But when playing N64 ROMs with flash carts on real hardware, all cartridge saves get directed to the SD card.  However, if a game saves to controller pak, there's no way around it.  You must use a controller pak.

So why not just emulate it?
Load up Legacy Of Darkness in an emulator, and compare it to real hardware.  Holy crap...

So why assume it would be a small and easy hack?
Because the Japanese versions of these games already save to cartridge.  I assume it would require swapping a few lines of hex from one version to another.  But I'm not that knowledgeable.  Feel free to correct me.

Second:  Making all characters playable from the start in Legacy Of Darkness. 
Originally, they're unlocked by completing and saving the game.  And I can't tell you how many times I lost a completed save because of a damn controller pak.

The N64 Castlevanias are the only games I know that save to controller pak in the US, and cartridge in another region.  But if there are other N64 games that do this, they could also benefit from this kind of hack.

Thinking more about the N64 Castlevanias...  There are GameShark codes to enable locked characters.  So I looked for ways to patch those into the game.  The codes are:

8031B243 0005
8031B243 0006
8031B243 0007

First I tried N64Shark from this site.  But it does not seem to work at all. 
Then I found this thread: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2920.0
I tried using the ulities found there, but none would actually patch the rom.

Anyone have sucess patching GameShark codes into N64 ROMs?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: July 22, 2019, 10:16:13 am »
Crazy Climber for nes - anyway of modding game so only 1 controller can be used
What would you suggest changing the controls to? It is a twin-stick, as they say, game.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

BlkMelynx

• View Profile
« Reply #5944 on: July 23, 2019, 07:56:35 am »
First step is look for the stats in memory with a cheat finder and then see if it is in the game somewhere. Stats are probably decimal on the screen so remember to convert to hex.

This is probably the most awkward part, and part of why someone with some knowledge of MH's code would be really helpful. The games represent weapon damage by using multipliers. For example, a greatsword has a class modifier of 4.8, so a Greatsword with 260 true raw is displayed as 1242. There's also the conundrum of how it decides to represent affinity (crit) and sharpness values etc. Searching for true raw values is a pretty futile effort for the most part unless I do things with a cheat finder like you said.

Speaking of finding it boring, what didn't you like about the gameplay loop? Too much busywork and grinding? I'm not sure how far I'd take it, but considering weapons are essentially just crafted using items and money, things could be tweaked to make that aspect a little less irritating, for example. I definitely that things like needing to press A on a rock 50 times to get enough ore for a weapon is not really anyone's idea of fun. I should probably just stick to the former goal for now though. Thanks for the suggestions.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: July 23, 2019, 01:20:49 pm »
Speaking of finding it boring, what didn't you like about the gameplay loop? Too much busywork and grinding? I'm not sure how far I'd take it, but considering weapons are essentially just crafted using items and money, things could be tweaked to make that aspect a little less irritating, for example. I definitely that things like needing to press A on a rock 50 times to get enough ore for a weapon is not really anyone's idea of fun. I should probably just stick to the former goal for now though. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't know, and that irritates me as well. As mentioned crafting, combat I have to think about rather than mash a button with the best crafted gear, large monsters too... if you go back and find games, or aspects thereof, I have gushed about over the years and such things will feature prominently (still do for that matter). How Monster Hunters ended up so much less than the sum of their parts is a mystery to me.
I tried loads of things to get to like it -- cheats, guides, videos of play, loading up someone's late stage play and going from there, sitting down and thinking about it to try to make it click, trying to force my way through things to see if it is one of those "after 12 hours" things, got the best versions I could (I read that some of the PSP efforts were more "for fans of the older games")... I had even gone into the series cold (not that I really fall for hype of either direction normally)
About as close as I can get to words is I found the controls deeply unsatisfying but not for any of the usual reasons -- it is probably not going to be a fighting game any time soon and I have played so much better but controls like that I have pushed through for lots of things before to have a great time with the results.
Thankfully I was not the only one but I still find it bizarre.

nanashi89

• View Profile
« Reply #5946 on: July 23, 2019, 04:53:14 pm »
A Mega Man Maverick Hunter X undub would be sweet! And restore "Don't Wanna Be" by Spinwake in the intro FMV.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:54:27 pm by nanashi89 »

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: July 23, 2019, 05:17:12 pm »
A port of the hairy_hen Final Fantasy VI translation script into the RPGONE translation

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: July 23, 2019, 10:00:12 pm »
The Peace Keepers (or JP Rushing Beat Shura) has the background music disabled by default for some reason, and you have to go into the Options Menu on startup to set it yourself every time. It would be nice to make a patch that enables the bgm by default.

Also, more than half of the music from the original JP release was cut from the NA version. Restoring these tracks would be amazing. The localization has a pretty bad translation, but is tolerable. What's weird for fans is that most of the characters' names were changed. Changing them back would help the series stay consistent.

I've also recently found out about another beat-em-up, Gourmet Sentai. Gideon Zhi has a partially-completed patch that it'd be cool to see finished.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:43:00 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: July 24, 2019, 01:10:40 pm »
Currently doing a few playthroughs of Seiken Densetsu 3 / Trials of Mana. Would love to see something remedied with a hack. I'm not at the point of writing ASM or I would do it myself.

Getting the ??? seeds or the Weapon / Armor seeds is cool, but using them in the pots at the inn to produce the items you need is a huge chore. If it was as simple as saving, using the items, and resetting if you didn't get what you want that would be fine. But the RNG is tied to a battle counter so you have to leave the town, fight some battles, come back, save, then restart, load your file, and only then will you get a different result. If you don't like that one, rinse and repeat. It causes something that should take a short time to take forever.

My idea would be to write a small bit of ASM to tie the results to a RNG that isn't reliant on any counters. Would take the only real nuisance out of the game. 

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5950 on: July 24, 2019, 05:33:32 pm »
Ever since the Trials of Mana rom got extracted from the Collection of Mana (Switch) digital collection, has anyone made any plans to make improvement patches to the rom, like the Secret of Mana Turbo hack: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27890.0 ?

Also, since we're in the topic of Mana, it would be nice if there was a Toruzz-style colorization hack for the original Game Boy version, but using the palettes used in the Adventures of Mana remake, instead of the Sword of Mana remake. I would've also asked for a title screen hack that said Adventure of Mana, but Da_GPer already did that. Although, I would love to request one that said Final Fantasy: Adventures of Mana, where you would see the Final Fantasy font used in the original title screen of the game at a smaller scale, above where it says Adventures of Mana.

That's all.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: July 24, 2019, 05:38:05 pm »
Since we're talking about Trials of Mana, honestly, the dialogue font that they added is really small and narrow, and it doesn't match aesthetically with the rest of the game. Replacing it with a new VWF could go a long way in improving it.
free sluffy

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: July 24, 2019, 07:01:43 pm »
The new rom is very iffy. The font they used is high res and also creates slowdown talking to npcs. There is a game breaking bug apparently. The bugfix patch (not available on this site) that works for the Corlett one doens't work on the new rom. The title screen and some elements of the script are good but there are a whole lot of other issues with it.

Masaru

• View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: July 24, 2019, 07:50:29 pm »
Ever since the Trials of Mana rom got extracted from the Collection of Mana (Switch) digital collection, has anyone made any plans to make improvement patches to the rom, like the Secret of Mana Turbo hack: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27890.0 ?

Also, since we're in the topic of Mana, it would be nice if there was a Toruzz-style colorization hack for the original Game Boy version, but using the palettes used in the Adventures of Mana remake, instead of the Sword of Mana remake. I would've also asked for a title screen hack that said Adventure of Mana, but Da_GPer already did that. Although, I would love to request one that said Final Fantasy: Adventures of Mana, where you would see the Final Fantasy font used in the original title screen of the game at a smaller scale, above where it says Adventures of Mana.

That's all.
Something that i would really like is if someone restores the original seiken densetsu title screen

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: July 25, 2019, 09:58:21 pm »
Ah, Trials of Mana. The official release has a TINY AS HELL font, and the fan translation has a HUGE FONT.

A middle ground would be fine.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5955 on: July 26, 2019, 02:03:46 am »
Something that i would really like is if someone restores the original seiken densetsu title screen

A couple of patches like that exist: 1/2

Now, another idea for a hack: a translation patch for Columns on SNES would be cool. I think most of it is menu stuff, as there's actually quite a bit of English text in the game.
free sluffy

Masaru

• View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: July 26, 2019, 10:04:32 am »
A couple of patches like that exist: 1/2
But what i am talking is for the first seiken densetsu (Final Fantasy adventure), after a long time no one decided to do it more than a portuguese translation, i tried once but i don't know much of hex editing
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 10:16:11 am by Masaru »

Binarynova

• View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: July 26, 2019, 11:44:29 am »
I'd love to see a hack of TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for the SNES that would replace "double tap a direction" with a run button similar to TMNT: Hyperstone Heist for the Genesis.
#WoolseyDidNothingWrong

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: July 28, 2019, 02:58:18 pm »
Change the final boss in Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen to Shrek.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5959 on: July 28, 2019, 07:06:54 pm »
I'd love to see a hack of TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for the SNES that would replace "double tap a direction" with a run button similar to TMNT: Hyperstone Heist for the Genesis.

Agreed!
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.