News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1420232 times)

julayla

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5900 on: July 06, 2019, 12:18:34 pm »
Well I was replaying the new translation of Sailor Moon Another Story. However...something felt off. I know it is suppose to be a little more faithful to the original source, but to be honest...it felt a bit narmy to me without the charm that made me invested into the plot. For some reason, I just felt bored with the translation. Maybe if this game had a Woolsey style translation to give it the sort of narm charm you see in FF6 or Chrono Trigger, I'd be more invested (I had a list of what I'd change back then years ago, but I'm not sure it applies to this game anymore)

needsleepnow1983

• View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: July 07, 2019, 10:04:44 pm »
The option to control your alternate party members in Chapter 5 of Dragon Warrior/Quest IV for the NES while allowing you the option to switch out your party members via wagon.

There is a game genie code that allows you to control your party members, but removes the option to swap out your party; YYEXVTGE (yeah, I tend to use it a lot...).

Poppler

• View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: July 09, 2019, 01:36:26 am »
Super Mario World: change the Luigi sprite for the new one that appears in "Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World" and when we only play with player 1, we have the possibility to choose whether to play with Mario or Luigi
Agreed. I'd do an ultimate patch for Super Mario World with the SA-1 improvements, the good Luigi sprite, and posibily some improvements from the Game Boy Advance port, like knowing the Dragon Coins you have collected in a stage.

Also:

- Axelay: make and arrange mode where you can recover your lost weapons, instead of having to die to have it again. Also, make the game brighter the default mode.

- Contra 3:
SA-1 improvements and fixing the bug in the first stage, where a huge part of the floor clips and fixes itself when the fire disappears (almost at the end of the level).

- Chiki Chiki Boys (MD): Convert it to Mega Twins, as all the western reelased of the game were called. Make the options screen avaliable from the start, if possible.   

- Gynoug: a hack that if you die in the second half of a stage, you continue at the start of the second half instead of having to play the whole level again.

- Alien 3 and Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive): Made it possible to save files in those games.

- Streets of Rage 3: bring back the original Streets of Rage 3 title screen to the japanese translation hack.

- Thunderforce IV: a patch to make the PAL version in full screen and fix the music slowdown.

- UN Squadron (Snes): Made it possible to save you game.

- Dynamite Headdy: I like a lot of the changes for the international release, but I'd like a patch that brings back some options from the japanese version:
* Start the game with 3 continues.
* Collecting 10 continue icons gives the player a continue.
* When you enter the tutorial segments, you'd be asked if you want to practice or leave the room like in the japanese version.
* Bring back the applause sound effect to Headdy's victory animation.
* Bring back the original Health Points from the japanese bosses (No more Twin Freaks desperation).

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:11:52 am by Poppler »

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: July 09, 2019, 09:46:37 pm »
Bomberman MAX for the GBC - with all stages and Charaboms unlocked/available. Effectively, mimicking the limited edition "Ain Version" (Bomberman) and "Complete Data Version" (Max) from Japan... but in English.

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: July 10, 2019, 02:27:00 am »
I wonder if it's possible if all the spell glyphs in Ni No Kuni DS - Dominion of the Dark Djinn Wizard's Companion Book can be combined with the english patch so the patch can also unlock all the spells from the start of the game, it would be useful in case no more hard or soft copies of the book can be found anymore. 
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: July 10, 2019, 03:26:36 am »
Tetris (Game Boy): A hack that will add the original Type-A music track "Minuet" from Version 1.0 as a forth Type-D music track.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (Game Boy Advance): A hack that will add all the improvements from the Japanese ROM to the American ROM and also restore the unused Starbeans Cafe cameos as well.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:33:36 am by SCD »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: July 10, 2019, 04:30:12 pm »
Agreed. I'd do an ultimate patch for Super Mario World with the SA-1 improvements, the good Luigi sprite, and posibily some improvements from the Game Boy Advance port, like knowing the Dragon Coins you have collected in a stage.

Also:

- Axelay: make and arrange mode where you can recover your lost weapons, instead of having to die to have it again. Also, make the game brighter the default mode.

- Contra 3:
SA-1 improvements and fixing the bug in the first stage, where a huge part of the floor clips and fixes itself when the fire disappears (almost at the end of the level).

- Chiki Chiki Boys (MD): Convert it to Mega Twins, as all the western reelased of the game were called. Make the options screen avaliable from the start, if possible.   

- Gynoug: a hack that if you die in the second half of a stage, you continue at the start of the second half instead of having to play the whole level again.

- Alien 3 and Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive): Made it possible to save files in those games.

- Streets of Rage 3: bring back the original Streets of Rage 3 title screen to the japanese translation hack.

- Thunderforce IV: a patch to make the PAL version in full screen and fix the music slowdown.

- UN Squadron (Snes): Made it possible to save you game.

- Dynamite Headdy: I like a lot of the changes for the international release, but I'd like a patch that brings back some options from the japanese version:
* Start the game with 3 continues.
* Collecting 10 continue icons gives the player a continue.
* When you enter the tutorial segments, you'd be asked if you want to practice or leave the room like in the japanese version.
* Bring back the applause sound effect to Headdy's victory animation.
* Bring back the original Health Points from the japanese bosses (No more Twin Freaks desperation).

A BIG time yes to Streets of Rage 3!

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: July 10, 2019, 10:06:04 pm »
A GBA script port for Tales of Phantasia.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: July 11, 2019, 01:26:34 am »
A GBA script port for Tales of Phantasia.

For the SNES? I'd like that, if only to update the weird choices DeJap made. Of course, some edits to some of the other errors would have to be made, too.
free sluffy

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: July 11, 2019, 09:12:25 am »
Some hacks i'd love to see:

- PS2 Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Samurai Shodown Anthology, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology: a patch to completely disable the bilinear filter, which only blurs the graphics. And maybe, if it is possible, proper 240p support.

- SNES TMNT Tournament Fighters: a patch to unlock the hidden characters, 2 extra stages, Speed Level 3 in Options Menu, ultimate bar in story mode, and Super Moves in Story Mode.

- SNES Final Fight: properly restore the 2 player mode.

Other hacks that might require a lot of love and effort and might not happen:

- SNES Lethal Enforcers: restore missing frames, sounds and content, already present in the Mega Drive version, to make it closer to the arcade, since the snes port is already superior in sound quality and colors.

- SNES Final Fight: reinsert the missing stage.

- SNES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy: reinsert the much better sounding/arranged NES musical score (is that possible?).

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #5910 on: July 11, 2019, 12:45:18 pm »
Here's a review of the hacks I'd personally love to see:

Monster Rancher (PSX) A "Seasonal Shrine" hack similar to this (STARWIN, please come back): https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3482/
Monster Rancher 2 (PSX) A bugfix regarding how to obtain Mock.
Both of the above A bugfix regarding the occasional loading screen lockout.
Pokemon Red/Blue (GB) Two different patches: one restoring the 39 missing alpha Pokemon like Gorochu, and the other being a graphical patch that replaces the in-game sprites with monochrome versions of the front and back sprites from FireRed and LeafGreen.
Pokemon Yellow (GB) A "Pokemon Brown Version: Special Eevee Edition" hack (with Eevee's voice clips from the Let's Go games on Switch)
Mario Party 1, 2, and 3 (N64) An "NSTC-U Voices" hack that uses voice clips from Mario Party 3, 4, and 5, as well as DK64.

And here's some more hacks I had in mind:

Super Smash Bros. (N64) An "Unlock All Characters" hack that makes Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, and Jigglypuff available from the start.
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES) A hack that adds Luigi as a sixth party member, instead of demoting him to "End Credits Cameo".
Pokemon Emerald (GBA) A "Pokemon Perfect Emerald" hack that not only allows you to get all 386 Pokemon, but also fixes some major bugs, restores the Sailor's original Japanese sprite, etc.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Genesis/MD) A "Kirby in S3&K" Hack that replaces Knuckles with Meta Knight.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis/MD) A "Somari the Adventurer 2" hack that replaces Tails with a Somari-like Luigi.
Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (SNES) A hack that replaces the Ms. Pac-Man game with the Pac Jr. game found in the Genesis port (complete with music changes).
Pokemon HeartGold (DS) A "Pokemon Throwback 2" hack that makes all 493 Pokemon available, replaces Lyra with Kris, makes the GB Sounds available from the start, and more.
Super Mario Bros. (NES) A "Super Mario Bros. 5: The Uncharted Lands" hack that picks up where The Undiscovered Zones left off.

[John]

• View Profile
    • JPS - Studios
« Reply #5911 on: July 11, 2019, 02:03:55 pm »
- Street of Rage (any) :
Replacing the main characters with the JoJo Bizarre Adventure franchise.
I would love to play a Mod like that!

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: July 12, 2019, 12:25:02 am »
Some hacks i'd love to see:

- SNES TMNT Tournament Fighters: a patch to unlock the hidden characters, 2 extra stages, Speed Level 3 in Options Menu, ultimate bar in story mode, and Super Moves in Story Mode.

A hack like this actually already exists, just not on RHDN!

The hack is called Champion Edition, and you can find it on their Discord. You can play as the boss characters, I'm pretty sure you can use Speed Level 3, and there are over a hundred total new palettes for the characters that you can switch between with L & R! It's a pretty great hack, and it's been seen at EVO and Combo Breaker 2019. You should definitely check it out, it makes it one of the best fighters on the SNES  :D

free sluffy

Forward

• View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: July 12, 2019, 11:08:56 am »
UMK3 for Genesis or SNES with altered AI that is more lenient and isn't totally cheap. No 100% countering certain moves like the roundhouse kick after 1 frame. No countering uppercuts with another uppercut after 1 frame. None of that perfect backwards walk stuff.

1UpJohn

• View Profile
Question about Sega Saturn Translations
« Reply #5914 on: July 12, 2019, 02:22:28 pm »
I would love an English translation patch for certain Sega Saturn game like Snatcher and Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Those two games already have English in other formats but I would love them on the Saturn. I was wondering if there's a translation scene for the Saturn because I haven't seen much.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: July 12, 2019, 02:42:31 pm »
A hack like this actually already exists, just not on RHDN!

The hack is called Champion Edition, and you can find it on their Discord. You can play as the boss characters, I'm pretty sure you can use Speed Level 3, and there are over a hundred total new palettes for the characters that you can switch between with L & R! It's a pretty great hack, and it's been seen at EVO and Combo Breaker 2019. You should definitely check it out, it makes it one of the best fighters on the SNES  :D
Holy guacamole... thanks for the heads up, Dzumeister! I never knew about this before. Gonna play it right now!

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: July 12, 2019, 06:39:19 pm »
- SNES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy: reinsert the much better sounding/arranged NES musical score (is that possible?).

I just googled if there was a MSU-1 hack of it, seems like there is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTlGMJFhTEE

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: July 12, 2019, 08:45:31 pm »
- SNES Final Fight: properly restore the 2 player mode.

- SNES Final Fight: reinsert the missing stage.

User Gnawtor has priority on finishing the Arcade version for the 30th Anniversary of FF. As for the missing stage, it would be more dificult inserting and importing graphics. Remember the unused stage? Has a cloned Abigail as a Boss. There's another problem: Rolento attack pattern is not present there. The most we can do is converting the ROM to SA-1 chip to reduce more slowdown and flickering.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: July 12, 2019, 10:21:21 pm »
For the SNES? I'd like that, if only to update the weird choices DeJap made. Of course, some edits to some of the other errors would have to be made, too.
What would be even better for that reason IMO would be if Phantasian Productions' script of the PS1 version got adapted.  It's got the feeling of the DeJap script on some levels, so if someone was going to do one it may as well be that.

But it's not like DeJap's script is awful, so honestly a text fix would be the best way forward.

You know, I wouldn't mind an uncensored Chrono Trigger translation, though keeping the Woolsey feel.

EDIT: Nevermind, someone's already working on it. My bad
I'm trying my best to do it!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:27:33 pm by Chronosplit »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5919 on: July 13, 2019, 07:14:00 am »
Robo Aleste (Mega CD) Balance Hack:
-More efficient but slower to charge charge attack with no delay after releasing the button
-Somewhat nerfed lvl 3 sub weapons (except maybe the green spread one) for more challenging levels overall
-Tougher level 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 bosses, tougher/more intense third level (snow), somewhat tougher final level
-Picking up a different sub weapon also increases the global sub weapon level so powering up after a death is faster (or the power ups themselves cycle through each weapon)
-A couple more power ups received before the blue mech boss at the beginning of the final level (or the checkpoint is put a bit further back into the previous level)

Robo Aleste (Mega CD) MUSHA Hack:
-Play as the MUSHA ship and use its abilites and weapons (gun drone formations, destructible gun drones, MUSHA weapons)
-MUSHA sfx replacing the standard sampled sfx

---

Snake Rattle 'n Roll (MD) - Controls+Balance Hack
-Realigns the directional controls so that pressing top left=move northwest, up=north, and so on
-Take a regular hit from falling 3+ tiles instead of dying immediately
-Take a regular hit from touching spikes instead of dying immediately
-Lose none or just one level of tongue length instead of all of them between levels
-Skippable or removed victory animation (plays in 1-player mode despite there being no 2nd player to beat)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 09:52:04 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.