News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1431025 times)

julayla

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5560 on: February 08, 2019, 12:56:19 pm »
I just checked, and the Mario sprites aren't compressed, so it would be very easy to change them provided someone was able to draw some replacement sprites. Any chance you're a good pixel artist?

I wish I was, but I'm lousy when it comes to making sprite characters from scratch.

Arty

• View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: February 08, 2019, 02:50:47 pm »
Here's one which I particularly would love to see.

Make a hack of Super Mario 64 DS which maps the analog controls that are used for the touch screen, so that you can use said analog controls with the analog stick on a 3DS or any emulator, effectively revamping the whole gameplay to SM64 levels of smooth playability.
Skellux actually created an emulator extension that does this, see it here
https://youtu.be/KtV0p6JMG1E

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: February 08, 2019, 09:31:23 pm »
I wish I was, but I'm lousy when it comes to making sprite characters from scratch.

Hmm... Maybe you could try ripping the Peach sprites from Super Mario Bros. 2 or some other game and tweaking them.
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5563 on: February 09, 2019, 12:51:52 pm »
Exhumed/Powerslave (SAT/PS1)
-Make the world more properly interconnected and consistent by allowing for entering a level from its "exit" as well if you're traveling from a nearby level, and making unlocked doors stay unlocked.
-Add one or more save points within levels by letting the player save when unlocking certan doors and/or adding an equivalent to the camel which can save your game when touched.

This is a really cool metroidvania-ish FPS game with a bunch of platforming in it, but it stumbles a bit on these two points. I haven't played the PS1 version but it should be the same in these regards.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Arty

• View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: February 09, 2019, 01:35:16 pm »
It was brought up in another thread, but I love the idea of a sound restoration for the GBA Mario Advance games. Since we already have the color restorations, a sound hack would make them perfect. Especially for the ports of 2 and 3, those need it the most.

eleventhirtyfour

• View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: February 09, 2019, 11:46:09 pm »
Since the recent hack of Mario 64 that makes it Super Mario Bros. 1, I thought it would be cool to hack Super Mario Bros. 3 and make it Mario 64.

Yes, it would still be side-scrolling but the levels could be as close as possible as to what they are in 64. The music could be updated as 8-bit versions of the Mario 64 soundtrack. Not sure how the stars would be implemented but could definitely be worked in somehow. Especially the 8 red coins.

I don't know, just got real excited thinking about this idea.

The1-uptriforce

• View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: February 10, 2019, 01:05:41 am »
I'm long time downloader first time poster on this site and there are few games I've noticed have been overlooked that absolutely  need translations and those games are.
1.) Snatcher for the PC engine CD this port has been touted as the definitive port of the game even better than the Sega CD version.
2.)Great Battle Cyber a fun platforming beat em up on the Famicom starring Kamen Rider Ultraman and Gundam.
3.)Battle Baseball an R.B.I basball game starring the same characters from Great Battle Cyber also on Famicom.
4.)Jungle no Ouja Tar-chan - Sekai Manyuu Dai Kakutou no Maki a crazy game on the Super Famicom starring some tarzan like dude who licks himself to regain health.
this is only a small list I could name a dozen morehidden gems and superior port but I understand it must be really hard to do this kinda stuff. I just wanted to bring these to your attention I've been retro gaming for a long time and its sad to see these gems be ignored for as long as they have. Even if they do not get localized by someone hopefully someone can read this and seek them out and enjoy them for themselves.

ScissorsBeatsKonan

• View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: February 10, 2019, 01:12:16 pm »
1.) Snatcher for the PC engine CD this port has been touted as the definitive port of the game even better than the Sega CD version.

Since it looks like this already has an English localization on Sega CD, it is more of a hacking issue.

2.)Great Battle Cyber a fun platforming beat em up on the Famicom starring Kamen Rider Ultraman and Gundam.
3.)Battle Baseball an R.B.I basball game starring the same characters from Great Battle Cyber also on Famicom.
4.)Jungle no Ouja Tar-chan - Sekai Manyuu Dai Kakutou no Maki a crazy game on the Super Famicom starring some tarzan like dude who licks himself to regain health.
None of these games look text-heavy so if you find a hacker, I would be willing to do them.

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: February 10, 2019, 06:24:53 pm »
Wish someone could make an improvement on Final Fantasy Tactics advance character customization window where there's an indicator or mark appearing beside the equipment after a character learns or masters it's ability instead of looking at the learned ability list on a different window, it's very hard to remember if a character masters an ability on a certain equipment without an indicator. additionally, when changing jobs, all equipment are always being removed, wish this part of the game could be improved when changing jobs the game should provide the most optimum equipment for that job just like in the PS1 version instead of stripping everything, it's very time consuming to re-equip everything when changing jobs.

And third, the equipment list is not properly categorized by default, example is the weapon list, the list should be sorted based on jobs and the game does not have a sort option for the item menu and it's giving the players a very hard time to search for the equipment that they want when customizing a character.   
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: February 11, 2019, 04:25:29 am »
US Championship V'Ball (Arcade): A hack that will restore the unused graphics for both the New York & Los Angeles stages: https://tcrf.net/US_Championship_V%27Ball_(Arcade)#Unused_Graphics

OutRun (3DS & Switch): A hack for both ports that will restore the Ferrari Testarossa back to them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:12:19 pm by SCD »

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: February 11, 2019, 10:42:43 pm »
Here's one which I particularly would love to see.

Make a hack of Super Mario 64 DS which maps the analog controls that are used for the touch screen, so that you can use said analog controls with the analog stick on a 3DS or any emulator, effectively revamping the whole gameplay to SM64 levels of smooth playability.

i play this one on my GPD XD+ with analog movement, but it is glitchy AF to get to work, and it only works with the built-in left stick (no controllers do it)

and i have to use a mod Skellux made that you patch to a SM64DS rom (it makes the cursor on the bottom screen not move around at all, after it appears. this is MUCH better on it's own, and functions similarly to the "analog stick" on the lower screen in Rayman DS)

and then i use the floaty button things to make the left analog stick move the touch cursor on the device to the (simulated) DS touch screen.

basically it's like mapping the analog to the touch screen of the device, and make sure the touch screen of the DS lines up with it.

it's not an easy setting to get to work, and if i open other DS games it throws off all the settings again.

so basically i got it working and figured out. the side flip move (one of my faves in 64, and almost impossible to even do on the DS) i can do them one right after the other (just like on the N64 version)

maybe all DS games could use hacks or "emulator settings" to get them to work right.

i mapped the Dementium controls to work with both analog sticks (AWESOME) and you can still use the touch screen for puzzles, it is just a real butt-pain to have to change all the settings every time, and i couldnt get the Fire (trigger) to work while the right stick "mimicked" the touch screen,

(the N64 emulator is the only one i know of that lets you map different settings for every game, and i know about "front ends" or whatever i've just never played around with them.

but this could be useful for a lot more DS games too. any game that needs analog movement (left stick) or analog "look" (right stick, for FPS games) could get little control patches that get them working better.

but SM64DS is a game that should have never had a "run" button to begin with. it's implementation is SUPER shoddy as well.  the game needed a button (preferably the "L" button) to be the "slow" button.

here are my ideal controls for SM64DS (these could be applied so these controls work on real hardware, AND for things with analog sticks, like my GPD XD+ or any tablet)

D-pad - movement, always full speed (hold "L" to do the tippy toe slow walk)
R - crouch/SAME

Y - Punch
B - Jump
(so these 2 mimick the B and A on a 64 controller)

X - camera Left
A - camera right
(so these mimick the C-Left and C-Right buttons)

start/select - same

the camera zoom in/out could still be in the right lower corner of the touch screen (but i would prefer it be added to the select button (too), so wouldnt have to have ANY touch screen controls)

this would be the best version of the game. best way to play on a DS and 3DS especially.

i think it was Nintendo's policy to try to add tacked on crap to games (wacky new touch and waggle stuff) so that may be why they didnt give us an "always run" option. that would have helped at least.

The1-uptriforce

• View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: February 12, 2019, 05:08:07 am »

Since it looks like this already has an English localization on Sega CD, it is more of a hacking issue.
None of these games look text-heavy so if you find a hacker, I would be willing to do them.

im glad your willing to do them but I dont know any hackers like i sad im new to the whole posting thing I mainly just know how to patch and play the game lol

Pleiades7

• View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: February 12, 2019, 03:25:48 pm »
Hey! I always thought it would be nice to take out all the boring levels of Shadow of the Empire or even the new "Empire Strikes Back" and just make it a pure reductive action game that repeats the same major levels again and again (like the AT-ATs and asteroid fields, etc.) The inspiration came from the Atari 2600 grind game "The Empire Strikes Back." Something about that simplicity that makes it fresh. Alas, I have no romhacking skills. But I'd be willing to help someone on the idea end if this project is feasible. The dream game would be to take "Shadow of the Empire" and redux it as "Empire Strikes Back" and just cut out the boring scenes. Maybe even change the text or characters to be consistent with the movie, like changing Dash maybe into Wedge? Stuff like that. If anyone is interested, hit me up here! Cheers

vinivhsoares

• View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: February 12, 2019, 06:05:28 pm »
Top Gear 3000(SNES) - There are lots of bonuses you can win during a race, however the b bonus is inaccessible, it would be great to have a hack where you can get the b bonus or hell, just discovering why it is inaccessible and what would trigger it would make my day.

Driver(PS1) - Alter the police AI in the last mission "The President's Run" so they behave like they do in the rest of the game and the mission can be actually doable.

Spider Man 2 Enter Electro(PS1) - Restore the content that was cut after 9/11, level names, the last level and it's cutscene where Spider Man and Electro fight on top of the world trade center.
https://tcrf.net/Spider-Man_2:_Enter:_Electro

International Superstar Soccer Deluxe(SNES) - Enable you to play the championship or world series with 3 or 7 minute matches, while the game gives you the choice of playing 3, 5 or 7 minute matches in other modes, you can only play 5 minute matches in the championship and world series.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: February 13, 2019, 01:32:29 am »
Spider Man 2 Enter Electro(PS1) - Restore the content that was cut after 9/11, level names, the last level and it's cutscene where Spider Man and Electro fight on top of the world trade center.
https://tcrf.net/Spider-Man_2:_Enter:_Electro

Considering some copies are reported to have leaked to the public, has anyone ripped an ISO? I would think getting that version backed up if it's not, to be the better solution.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: February 13, 2019, 03:01:26 am »
Yes, someone did ripped the ISO file of it and put it on The Lost Media Wiki site, you can get it there.

I have a legit copy of that version, I bought it from someone on ebay for $20, I was the only one that bid on it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:05:52 am by SCD »

vinivhsoares

• View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: February 13, 2019, 05:39:36 pm »
Considering some copies are reported to have leaked to the public, has anyone ripped an ISO? I would think getting that version backed up if it's not, to be the better solution.

Yes, my first copy of the game was the uncensored version, however Spider Man runs much faster than in the final version and the image in not properly scaled when you play it on a real PS1, you can't see bars that are in the bottom of the screen like when you are chasing a train with Sandman in your back, so it would be great to have a version that fixes this.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: February 14, 2019, 02:04:41 am »
So here is a very simple hack I think even the most amateur can do, find a way to slow down the clock in Suikoden 2 as some of it's content is time sensitive.

To me this was a big glaring flaw with S2 considering what would happen if you don't rush S2.

cardunmax

• View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: February 15, 2019, 12:43:05 am »
This is probably a lame Idea, but while playing the regular Crystalis today I had this image in my head that someone out there could make a complete Rom Hack out of it and turn it into a story from "The Tomorrow People"  You could rename the Wisemen from Zebu = John,  Tornel = Tyso, Asina = Millicent, Kensu = Kenny, Stom = Steven, Messia = Jade, and while the Main Character can be named his Default name can go from SNK to say Adam.

The Four of Dragonya's Warriors can be renamed Byron, Culex, Sogguth, and Akhara.  While Emperor Draygonia can be renamed Jedikiah after the Robot Shapeshifter. 

And the plot could be rehashed as some kind of plot between the Thargons and the Sorsons with the Tower in the Sky holding a Nest of Swarming Ngarrah Aliens.   Of course the Swords can be explaned as "Adam" being the only Tomorrow Person that can kill, and the Warp Boots could be renamed into "Jaunting Belt". 

Probably a lost cause but Just an Idea I had.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: February 15, 2019, 07:22:16 am »
I'd like to play Wacky Races for NES but I dislike dogs. If the main character was hacked to be a cat that would be so cool!
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.