News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1486821 times)

#

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5460 on: December 27, 2018, 03:15:10 pm »
-
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:15:11 pm by # »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5461 on: December 27, 2018, 04:04:50 pm »
Cool. Comparing them on youtube, the MD game is actually brighter than in that screenshot, but various colors and shading detail is lost, plus animation here and there as well, such as for the rivers and waterfalls.

December 29, 2018, 05:18:38 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Batman & Robin (MD & MCD)
-A Batman Returns style mashup of these two, that is a mix of driving and run 'n gun/platformer levels, with a rebalanced difficulty and quicker pacing would be awesome. Icing on the cake would be a redbook remaster of the MD techno soundtrack by Kyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ebpKFC0hI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR0MWpOK1RU

I suppose you'd have to cut out the fmv to make it more coherent though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 05:19:49 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Poppler

• View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: December 30, 2018, 10:11:38 am »
- A patch to have the Streets of Rage 3 title screen fron the western reelase, applied to the japanese rom. There's already a great translation of the game but, unfortunately, it has the japanese title screen. It's maybe not a very important thing but it of doesn't feel right at all.

- A patch for to convert Super Ghouls'n Ghosts PAL to 60hz (also, uncensored an with less slowdown, like that patch for the US rom). I read somewhere that the PAL release, has less slowdown, and also a more fair difficulty level.

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: December 30, 2018, 11:57:04 am »
This idea/request is probably very technical, and I imagine for a game probably known most through Super Smash Bros, it's probably niche in general.

I was curious if a hack could be done to the game Slide Adventure MAGKID for the Nintendo DS. The hack would be more to actually make it playable. What do I mean by that?

For those unaware, Slide Adventure MAGKID was a Nintendo DS game that required the use of the DS's second cart slot, as you were required to put in a peripheral for an optical mouse in order to play the game. This device allowed the system to act as an actual mouse like the one you use on PCs, and this was used to navigate the magnetic character around the screen. For an example of how the game works, here's a video.

Now, in the current environment, this produces a few problems. First, if you ever wanted to play this game, you're stuck on pre-DSi hardware, so we're talking decade old machines are the only way to play this. Second, as this peripheral was used for one game - this one - there's been little to no interest in actually emulating this device for any DS emulator, which means this has also closed off the window of even being fan translated; after all, if the game won't even boot without the device, how can you put it into another language.

So, my question was more an inquiry into something perhaps a bit deep and complicated. First, how difficult would it be to bypass the peripheral check? Starting the game without the optical mouse doesn't even let you see a title screen. Second, how difficult would it be to remap the input from the optical device to something like the d-pad or touch screen? There have been a few DS games that got hacks to remove the touch screen controls to other means, and I would imagine if the games check could be circumvented, and something like this introduced, you can essentially get a game that's unplayable today for most people and have it be playable, and potentially have that be a start for potential fan translations down the road. It seems a lot of these Japan-only games that have winks and nods in Smash seem to be of interest to people, enough so that they eventually get hacked and translated by fans, and I would imagine the fact the game checks for a peripheral and only works on 10+-year-old handhelds is enough to stop any momentum or interest dead in the water.

FormulaFanboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: December 30, 2018, 12:25:00 pm »
Does anyone know if a Mario editor for the NES would be possible? Not like SMButil or anything, but native to the rom, like Nuts & Milk or Wrecking Crew. Even if it only has a few blocks and enemies, and no scrolling. I think it'd be awesome to have a 'Mario Maker' on the NES.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: December 30, 2018, 12:50:57 pm »
The ROM itself has almost no free space.
I suppose maybe with a mapper hack and SRAM it might be possible to store a level to SRAM.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

denshousha

• View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: December 31, 2018, 05:27:10 pm »
Dumb idea, but has anyone thought to do an MSU audio version of Hong Kong 97 with the full song instead of that one annoying loop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is_Z2K7guKs

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: January 01, 2019, 10:10:40 am »
This idea/request is probably very technical, and I imagine for a game probably known most through Super Smash Bros, it's probably niche in general.

I was curious if a hack could be done to the game Slide Adventure MAGKID for the Nintendo DS. The hack would be more to actually make it playable. What do I mean by that?

For those unaware, Slide Adventure MAGKID was a Nintendo DS game that required the use of the DS's second cart slot, as you were required to put in a peripheral for an optical mouse in order to play the game. This device allowed the system to act as an actual mouse like the one you use on PCs, and this was used to navigate the magnetic character around the screen. For an example of how the game works, here's a video.

Now, in the current environment, this produces a few problems. First, if you ever wanted to play this game, you're stuck on pre-DSi hardware, so we're talking decade old machines are the only way to play this. Second, as this peripheral was used for one game - this one - there's been little to no interest in actually emulating this device for any DS emulator, which means this has also closed off the window of even being fan translated; after all, if the game won't even boot without the device, how can you put it into another language.

So, my question was more an inquiry into something perhaps a bit deep and complicated. First, how difficult would it be to bypass the peripheral check? Starting the game without the optical mouse doesn't even let you see a title screen. Second, how difficult would it be to remap the input from the optical device to something like the d-pad or touch screen? There have been a few DS games that got hacks to remove the touch screen controls to other means, and I would imagine if the games check could be circumvented, and something like this introduced, you can essentially get a game that's unplayable today for most people and have it be playable, and potentially have that be a start for potential fan translations down the road. It seems a lot of these Japan-only games that have winks and nods in Smash seem to be of interest to people, enough so that they eventually get hacked and translated by fans, and I would imagine the fact the game checks for a peripheral and only works on 10+-year-old handhelds is enough to stop any momentum or interest dead in the water.

Hmm, despite weird and wonderful things DS very much being a thing I do I had no idea about that one. Also don't be so doom and gloom -- the DS had a massive hacking scene when it was active and it has continued on to this day.

Anyway two main approaches.

1) Like the pokemon typing game, here the keyboard was emulated via a network connection (simple netcat raw port affair).
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-game-hacking-for-learn-with-pokemon-typing-adventure.480825/
Latency might be an issue here though.

2) Similar to the guitar hero hacks, though these were buttons more than a mouse.

Coming the other way the taito paddle was hacked to support mario kart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml5ssGtASwY

The general idea, and most logical approach for the devs, is that the GBA save bus is a fairly basic when all is said and done http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#gbacartioportgpio

Bypassing the check should be nothing major -- it will just try to tickle whatever hardware it uses and if it does not get a response it will error out, just right at the start (so not even like some anti piracy that would trip in a late game minigame or something, and be obfuscated at that).

Redirecting to a touch screen or away from it is much the same affair. https://web.archive.org/web/20110604163902/http://crackerscrap.com:80/docs/sfchacktut.html being a choice link in that case.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: January 01, 2019, 11:07:47 am »

I'd say it would be about as easy and as much work as just properly emulating the actual peripheral. It shouldn't be that complicated for anyone with some experience working on emulating peripherals.

This game and peripheral would work on a western DS too right? IIRC the system is region free. It might be worth importing. Then I could take a look at the emulation as well. If it's not too much work I might even consider translating it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 12:09:32 pm by # »

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #5469 on: January 02, 2019, 01:32:54 pm »
I'd be interested in an actual Game Boy version of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The 7th Stand User.  (Obviously from Final Fantasy Legends, since that's what that game's engine was based on.)

SilverPHK

• View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: January 02, 2019, 08:18:22 pm »
I had an idea of ​​mod but for this I would need to edit the personas of the game, such as Messiah for Messiah Picaro or Orpheus for Orpheus Picaro. Would you have a chance to do that?

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: January 03, 2019, 03:08:31 pm »
Honestly, I wouldn't mind a Gameboy version of the Digimon Ryo Arc stories myself. But hey, we can all dream, right?

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: January 03, 2019, 04:32:35 pm »
Julayla: I'm working on a translation of Tag Tamers for the WonderSwan itself if that helps. Or do you just really want to play it on GameBoy?

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: January 03, 2019, 07:34:38 pm »
Guilty Gear: The Missing Link [PSX]:

I wanna make a tweak to the conditions for unlocking Baiken.
Originally, you have to make a No Continue Run with Sol or Ky. They'll fight her after credits.
I want to give her the "Accent Core" treatment, like the conditions to face Order Sol: you mustn't lose a round or match until you reach Justice. Then you can continue as many times you want. Then fight Baiken. With any character.

For JAP, USA and EUR ISOs.

Mario Bros.

• View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: January 03, 2019, 07:52:56 pm »
EDIT
PS: A bad request's reader is a bad helper

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5475 on: January 03, 2019, 08:08:30 pm »
Julayla: I'm working on a translation of Tag Tamers for the WonderSwan itself if that helps. Or do you just really want to play it on GameBoy?

Wow, you're working on Tag Tamers? Sounds pretty cool.

papermanzero

• View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: January 04, 2019, 08:34:57 am »
A Quality of Life Hack for Super Mario 64 on the N64.
The camera system is pretty outdated.

A camera system which is similar to super mario sunshine would be great.
Using the c buttons to continually rotate the camera (not fixed camera positions) and a button (most likely R) to move the camera behind mario (like in the the DS remake).

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: January 05, 2019, 11:46:12 am »
Maybe since the series is now on the 25th anniversary, how about someone make a re-hack of Sailor Moon: Another Story (you know, New Game+ and Hard Mode for example) and remake the titles of the Sailor Moon logo to make it fit with the modern logo?

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: January 07, 2019, 02:55:37 am »
I'd say it would be about as easy and as much work as just properly emulating the actual peripheral. It shouldn't be that complicated for anyone with some experience working on emulating peripherals.

This game and peripheral would work on a western DS too right? IIRC the system is region free. It might be worth importing. Then I could take a look at the emulation as well. If it's not too much work I might even consider translating it.

I believe this would be a region free title, as it was made before the release of the DSi, which was Nintendo's go at region locking their handhelds.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: January 07, 2019, 04:29:46 am »

/dACE