Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

who knows how to improve this game?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1389691 times)

-dash

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5400 on: December 10, 2018, 07:00:23 pm »
It’d be cool to have a version of Super Mario All-Stars where 1-ups and getting 100 coins doesn’t add to the amount of lives you have, particularly in SM3. Would be a very neat and challenging way to play the game.

That would mean 5 lives, period. In SM3 this would have to include the end of level cards not giving lives as well.

A neat addition would getting a 1-up every 1,000,000 points or so (5,000,000? 🤔), but that’s just an idea. I wouldn’t want a feature like that to be exploitable.

I do really like the idea of getting a hard game over after 5 lives lost, and wish I knew enough about editing roms to be able to do this myself. Please, my dear ROM wizards— cast your code upon my ROM.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5401 on: December 11, 2018, 01:02:06 am »
I do really like the idea of getting a hard game over after 5 lives lost, and wish I knew enough about editing roms to be able to do this myself. Please, my dear ROM wizards— cast your code upon my ROM.

Well, it's easy: you write on a piece of paper how many lives you've lost, and when you reach five, you turn off the game. :)

aitchfactor

• View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: December 11, 2018, 03:13:35 am »
I’d really like to see an improvement hack for Gimmick! on the NES.

Gameplay –
Make Yumetaro’s attack star spawn animation faster.
Allow Yumetaro to spawn a new star, even if one is still onscreen(the old one should disappear). This should reduce the amount of time a player needs to wait if they whiff a star shot.
Maybe allow a limited aim function? Holding up while launching a star makes it arc instead of heading straight to the ground?
Maybe give Yumetaro more traction?
Allow players to retain the items granting access to the final stage when they continue.

Graphics –
Have some kind of vertical transition that’s better than just blacking out for a split second and appearing with the next screen. Maybe a Mega Man-esque scroll, or just a simple fade out, fade in type thing?

Audio –
Instead of reusing the track Identity Believer for both the second phases of the Stage 5 and Stage 6 bosses, maybe use Long Tomorrow(final boss theme) for the Stage 6 boss, then use Strange Memories of Death for the final boss.

I don’t know how easy it would be to implement some of these suggestions, but I would hope that at least some of them are feasible and would be appreciated by fans of the game.

And also, before I forget –
It would be nice to have an English version of Perfect Dark with Joanna’s Japanese face model and textures.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: December 11, 2018, 08:04:55 am »
Well, it's easy: you write on a piece of paper how many lives you've lost, and when you reach five, you turn off the game. :)
If that's the level of hacks you want to go for, you might as well not hack/patch your games and just imagine the changes while playing instead. :D

I suspect though that there's already a patch like that out there for SM All-Stars. But for some reason there are only a few hacks for it on this site, so you'll have to look elsewhere.

septag0n

• View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: December 11, 2018, 10:11:04 am »
I would like to find a SMB3 romhack that is allows you to replay levels over and over similar to super mario world. Does anyone know if this exists already? I would love it if level design and palettes were still intact, I just want to be able to farm 1ups, and powerups and be able travel to previously beaten worlds.

I'd like to find an NES version, but a SNES all-stars version would be ok too.
https://old.reddit.com/r/romhacking/comments/8igrt5/super_mario_3_levels/

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: December 11, 2018, 11:08:51 am »
I have a good idea:

Pocky & Rocky (SNES) Restoration

https://i.warosu.org/data/vr/img/0043/55/1509060345684.png

and Final Fight 2 (SNES) Restoration

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=5984076

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5406 on: December 11, 2018, 12:13:18 pm »
If that's the level of hacks you want to go for, you might as well not hack/patch your games and just imagine the changes while playing instead. :D

Come on, I'm only saying that this hack in particular doesn't need to be done at all, as the effect will be the same with a piece of paper.

But you know, your possibly inadvertent attempt at reverse psychology has rustled my jimmies, so I think I'll actually make the hack. It's incredibly easy - in fact, I think I could do it with just a few bytes changed.

So, no 1ups from 100 coins or collected 1ups or end of level cards? Got it. If I have a chance today, I'll do it. Should take no longer than half an hour.

EDIT: Okay, I started on Super Mario All-Stars, but the 65816 can be more of a pain than the 6502, so I went back to SMB1 on the NES. Here's your three Game Genie codes:

GATOZA   start with 5 lives not 3
SZPUUK   100 coins does nothing
SXTATK   1ups mushrooms do nothing

Now you can play SMB1 as you suggested: start with 5 lives, and that's your lot. I'll do the other games in due course, and SMAS too. ;)

EDIT2: here's the others. :)

smb2j
GETGGI   start with 5 lives not 3
SXIEGN   100 coins does nothing
SZAEPK   1up mushrooms do nothing

smb2
IAOTIGLA   start with 5 lives not 3
SZKOGEVV   1up mushrooms do nothing
SXSVOESE   bonus chance does nothing

smb3
IESZOAGA   start with 5 lives not 4
SXOLYEVN   100 coins does nothing
SXNXNXVN   1up mushrooms do nothing
SXEUOSVN   end of level cards do nothing
SXXSTXVN   matching houses do nothing

Additionally I found two more instances in SMB3 where the lives counter is incremented, but I've no idea what they refer to. I can give you GG codes for them, just in case. Of course now you're past the three that GG allows, but you can always write them to the ROM (or use them in an emulator that allows as many GG codes as you wish).

Also, I don't know of any other way of getting 1ups in SMB2.

EDIT3: added 1up mushroom code for SMB2.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:30:00 pm by Psyklax »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: December 11, 2018, 05:36:35 pm »
Haven't you played SMB2 (USA)?
There's a 1Up in a grass patch in the middle of the first level.

Also in SMB1, 2(Lost Levels) and 3, you can jump on/shell kick like eight enemies in a row to get a 1-Up.
In SMB1, it's easy to do in 3-2, and in SMB3 you can easily raccoon float in 1-2 to destroyed infinite-generated Goombas.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5408 on: December 12, 2018, 12:33:17 am »
Haven't you played SMB2 (USA)?
There's a 1Up in a grass patch in the middle of the first level.

Also in SMB1, 2(Lost Levels) and 3, you can jump on/shell kick like eight enemies in a row to get a 1-Up.
In SMB1, it's easy to do in 3-2, and in SMB3 you can easily raccoon float in 1-2 to destroyed infinite-generated Goombas.

Ah, Mike... :D Do I have to go looking for more now? I was in a hurry because I was kind of doing this just because. Yes, I've completed SMB2, but it was a while ago so I forgot. And I've never ever been able to do the shell kick thing, no matter how much I've tried.

Anyway, the guy asked about SMAS so I should do that as well. But later. :) (if I'm lucky the shell kicking and goomba hopping stuff is redirected to the same routine as the 1ups, but who knows)

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: December 12, 2018, 01:57:32 am »
Any chance a Final Fight 2 US version restoration patch would be available in the future? there are a lot of stuff that has been changed or censored in the US release like enemies and stage background designs and I find the Japanese version far superior compared to it's US release.

Super Bomberman 3 (SNES): enable the two hidden battle stages with no need to use cheats (pushing repeatedly x button in the title screen for 20 or 30 seconds)

Didn't even knew there were additional battle arenas!

Super Bomberman 5 (SFC): a translation

A long time dream for me, for sure.

Secondly, is there a hack that will add Super NES Mouse support to Nintendo's SimCity?
The Super NES version of SimCity has always been something I've been wanting to play with, but the fact that it's a mouse-driven game that's played with a controller kept me from doing so.  I think a mouse hack would make this good game even better.  Or, at least, easier to play.

That would be quite an improvement. SNES version is really good.

Was wondering if the PSX version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy will be looked at to see if it can be a Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy?

Including restore Goro, Kintaro, MK1 Raiden, MK1 Kano, MK2 Kung Lao & Chameleon from the PSX port.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64):

Now that the 1995-05-13 prototype was dumped and released, it contains a playable MK3 Sub-zero and Kahn's Arnea (with a sweet easter egg), a ROM expansion to include them (as well with a BGM fix) in the final versions could be possible.

Any of those hacks for Mortal Kombat Trilogy would be totally cool. Adding the cheat menus unlocked from the start would be a nice touch.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5410 on: December 12, 2018, 03:25:47 am »
Enable the hidden Panel de Pon options menu.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: December 12, 2018, 04:07:31 pm »
Ah well, that's too bad about the demand for it. Now I'm kinda curious what the ps1 to gba conversion would have sounded like since I didn't even think about it.
Well it'd be sounding like the PS1 version but without the reverb and with some quantification noise on the top of it. I don't know if there's demand but I suspect there's little of it - I could be wrong.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5412 on: December 12, 2018, 06:27:21 pm »
Okay, after the Game Genie codes I posted for the four SMB games on NES to remove the ability to gain any extra lives, I went after the poster's original request: Super Mario All-Stars. It wasn't quite as straightforward as the NES ones, as I was chasing false positives and so on, but eventually I pinpointed the routines that add lives, and changed them. I THINK I caught every possible instance, but you'll probably want to test it to make 100% sure. I don't really know about SNES GG codes - and there are four games in one ROM - so here's an IPS for you to use on the US ROM version (CRC32 925637C7):

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/smas-noextralives.ips

And don't say I never do nothin' for you, kids. ;)

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: December 12, 2018, 07:39:10 pm »
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes [PS2/XBOX]:

Block the option of picking the same character when you buy everything on the Shop. Not a big fan of that.

Restore back the Arcade logo of the title screen and Main Menu, present in the NTSC-J version to PAL and NTSC-U regions.

...and that's it. No purist names shenaningans, not in the mood to discuss that (again. like in 90% of my inbox. I'm fed up with that, thank you.)

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: December 13, 2018, 06:09:08 am »
Ghost Sweeper Mikami: Joreishi wa Nice Body (SNES) English translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzOj6BgpdUM

:)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5415 on: December 13, 2018, 06:37:03 am »
Ghost Sweeper Mikami: Joreishi wa Nice Body (SNES) English translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzOj6BgpdUM

:)

You know, that's a translation I've wanted to do for a while: there's not much text, I've finished the game (it's pretty good actually), so I think it'd be a nice choice. It's a bit of a hidden gem.

Of course, getting round to actually doing it is another matter entirely, since I'm so distracted by other matters. When I tried to hack it before, my knowledge of the SNES was poor so I had trouble figuring it out, but I think I'd be a bit more capable nowadays.

One day though, one day... :)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: December 13, 2018, 06:16:55 pm »
If my memory is right, the last I spoke to filler about it, I asked about a translation of the ending sequence and I don't think I got a response. I suppose I could post a link if anyone wants to take a try at it.

I think that and the title screen is what remained untranslated.

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: December 14, 2018, 11:01:46 am »
If you ever played GöTzenDiener on PC Engine you know how the controls are godawful. What magic tool i have to use to fix that?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: December 14, 2018, 11:20:56 am »
Assembly hacking probably.
I don't know if there's anything that can insert PCE ASM hacks, but I'm sure there's a few people hat know how to insert code.

However, writing that code is probably another issue.
If the control is "unresponsive", that is going to be a harder problem to fix than if they are poorly mapped.

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: December 14, 2018, 12:29:06 pm »
I think it is a mapping issue similar to Landstalker problem controls on genesis which MIJET managed to fix.