News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1015150 times)

Gorganzola

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5320 on: November 10, 2018, 08:23:08 am »
EDIT: Ah, I just realized that you probably want to patch the ROM so 0695 is always 18 or something. You'll need to learn ~Z80 assembly for that, as you'll need to manually edit the code that changes that byte in RAM while the game is running (or much better, change the code that reads and process it).
Yes, that was exactly what I wanted to do. The game is tough as it is, but without random encounters you can't level up and enjoy it. Can you suggest any not too technical tutorial to get started with that? I googled Z80 assembly but maybe they have too much new information or I'm too stupid to understand a lot of the terms in them. If nobody is interested in this game, I hope I could fix it's main problem :-[

As for reducing the rate instead of turning off battles completely, I'm not so sure that $695 is connected: it rolls around every frame or so and you still get random battles regardless of what number it lands on. That will take a little more investigation.
I don't mind investigating, what software should I use for that and what do you suggest I should look at? (Thanks again for your answers, guys, and to mz for sparking my curiosity!) :)

Something really quick I noticed in the RAM viewer: there's this byte at $06b5 (aka $c6b5) that goes up every step or so... It seems if you keep it really low (like 1), random encounters appear much more rarely. Maybe the game uses this number as a % of probability (ie, if there's a 20 there, a battle can come up 20 out 100 times). Also, if set to 0, it seems there are no random battles at all.
Sir, that's an amazing find! So not only 0695 is responsible for the battle rate? Did you find this value in BizHawk?

Maybe someone with more time and skills can take a look at the code handling that address. :P
That would be cool but what if I am the only one who thinks this game is interesting? ::)

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: November 10, 2018, 09:44:44 am »
That would be cool but what if I am the only one who thinks this game is interesting? ::)
Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound like "I hope someone better than you comes up and gets this done". I just meant "I don't have enough skills or time to do this right now".

Yes, I found that address just by looking in BizHawk around the area you had found (with its hex editor).

I guess you could read any Z80 book or Game Boy tutorial you may find around, but I have no idea how easy or hard they are. I've personally never read one... All I've really learned was just by playing around with debuggers, having the CPU's instruction set on another window and googling specific things (what's a CPU register, what's a routine, etc.)
There has to be a better life.

Gorganzola

• View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: November 10, 2018, 01:22:11 pm »
Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound like "I hope someone better than you comes up and gets this done". I just meant "I don't have enough skills or time to do this right now".
I didn't take your message that way. I thought that nobody would want to look into this game at all and your suggestions really helped me even if this only applies to one emulator! :)

I guess you could read any Z80 book or Game Boy tutorial you may find around, but I have no idea how easy or hard they are. I've personally never read one... All I've really learned was just by playing around with debuggers, having the CPU's instruction set on another window and googling specific things (what's a CPU register, what's a routine, etc.)

Got it, I will try looking into this further. Thanks again!

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: November 10, 2018, 10:55:38 pm »
[SNes]Chrono trigger - Disabling XP for inactive characters

As u should know inactive characters get 75% XP. Does anyone have patch to disable it?
In an unheadered US ROM, change 0x1FA44 to 80 04.
Mauron wuz here.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5324 on: November 11, 2018, 03:09:42 am »
Something really quick I noticed in the RAM viewer: there's this byte at $06b5 (aka $c6b5) that goes up every step or so... It seems if you keep it really low (like 1), random encounters appear much more rarely. Maybe the game uses this number as a % of probability (ie, if there's a 20 there, a battle can come up 20 out 100 times). Also, if set to 0, it seems there are no random battles at all.

Well, you're right that it's a step counter, good job. It increments every step, unless it reaches $10, in which case it stays at that. After it checks this step counter it calls a routine which I assume is an RNG routine, but I'm not familiar enough with such things to know. Suffice to say that freezing it at $01 means that encounters are very rare, and freezing it at $10 means encounters occur very quickly.

So, what is obviously happening is the game sees how many steps you've taken and makes a 'dice roll' to see if you have an encounter or not. To use a board game analogy, it's a bit like rolling 2D6 and having to get 13, but adding 1 to your roll for every step you've taken. Thus, zero steps means no encounter, and the more steps you make, the more likely it becomes. At least, that's how it seems to me.

I'll make a routine to only increment every other step, and see what happens. :)

EDIT: and I'm done. :) Just patch the ROM with this and it adds a little routine, which I shall now explain.
s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/metalwalker-encounter.ips
Quite simply, the patch breaks out of the regular program to check a (hopefully) unused RAM address, $C6FF, to see if it's zero. If it is, it increments it and loads the step counter as normal. If it's not zero, it decrements it (bringing it back to zero) and decrements the step counter. Then when the step counter is incremented as normal, it basically means it doesn't change. Therefore, your step count only increases on each alternate step. As far as I can see there are no problems with this, and I assume the encounter rate appears much less - but you'll have to test that yourself. :)

Hat tip to KingMike for suggesting the 'spare RAM address' idea in his DTE tutorial that taught me a lot about assembly. :D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:03:51 am by Psyklax »

Melissa

• View Profile
« Reply #5325 on: November 11, 2018, 06:57:40 am »
In an unheadered US ROM, change 0x1FA44 to 80 04.
Already got it. Thanks again. Had to unheader rom first. ^ ^
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:33:52 am by Melissa »

Gorganzola

• View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: November 11, 2018, 07:09:29 am »
So, what is obviously happening is the game sees how many steps you've taken and makes a 'dice roll' to see if you have an encounter or not. To use a board game analogy, it's a bit like rolling 2D6 and having to get 13, but adding 1 to your roll for every step you've taken. Thus, zero steps means no encounter, and the more steps you make, the more likely it becomes. At least, that's how it seems to me.
I think you are right about the dice roll mechanic, otherwise, why would the 0695 value keep bouncing from 0 to 18? :)

Quite simply, the patch breaks out of the regular program to check a (hopefully) unused RAM address, $C6FF, to see if it's zero. If it is, it increments it and loads the step counter as normal. If it's not zero, it decrements it (bringing it back to zero) and decrements the step counter. Then when the step counter is incremented as normal, it basically means it doesn't change. Therefore, your step count only increases on each alternate step. As far as I can see there are no problems with this, and I assume the encounter rate appears much less - but you'll have to test that yourself. :)
Yes, indeed, now I can go to the next map area and have 1 encounter instead of 3-4 that I've had before but, from time to time, I get 2 encounters in one area, I guess this is the dice roll effect. This is so awesome! Thank you, Sir! :thumbsup:

Hat tip to KingMike for suggesting the 'spare RAM address' idea in his DTE tutorial that taught me a lot about assembly. :D
Are you referring to this document, Sir? I will look into it. Thank you for the reference! :)

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: November 11, 2018, 12:20:56 pm »
s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/metalwalker-encounter.ips
Great job! But you both seem to have much more patience for random battles than me. :P

If I were to play this game, I would probably change that routine to make it believe it's always reading a 1 from memory. :D (Or something similar...) Although then I'd need to change more stuff so I don't get killed after the second battle...
There has to be a better life.

jackic

• View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: November 11, 2018, 04:40:12 pm »
Contra III / Super Probotector: Full Final Boss Battle and ending while playing on any difficulty level.

I really love this game but I find the hard mode to be, well, too hard to be ejoyable and I think this would make a great addition to it.

Gorganzola

• View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: November 12, 2018, 03:29:13 am »
If I were to play this game, I would probably change that routine to make it believe it's always reading a 1 from memory. :D (Or something similar...) Although then I'd need to change more stuff so I don't get killed after the second battle...
That wouldn't really save you since this game seems to favor the enemies more than you and can have them use skills that wipe you out with 1 hit (My record is getting wiped out after the 3rd battle, my robot had 29 HP and the attack took 50 HP. I couldn't even leave the city) :P
On a side note, by the time you make it to the first human opponent, he will be a cakewalk compared to what you've gone through. ;D

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: November 12, 2018, 03:46:42 am »
Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Sega Genesis): A hack that will do two things to it:

Change the music for the choose your weapon screen in Wily Tower to play the unused Track 72.

Restore the unused Shadowy Proto Man sprites for the Mega Man 3 ending.

https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man:_The_Wily_Wars

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5331 on: November 12, 2018, 04:34:45 am »
Are you referring to this document, Sir? I will look into it. Thank you for the reference! :)

Yes Sir, I am referring to that document. ;) It took me some time to understand how it all worked, but I was really pleased when I used it to put DTE in my own hack, and some of the principles detailed there have helped me out since.

Great job! But you both seem to have much more patience for random battles than me. :P

Thanks, though I wouldn't say I have patience - in all honesty I'm not likely to play the game myself. :D I just saw someone with a feasible request and decided to try and fulfill it. See guys, sometimes when you write a FEASIBLE and LOGICAL request in this thread, someone comes along to help - especially when you show you can do a little bit of the work yourself. ;)

Zanemato

• View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: November 12, 2018, 04:43:57 am »
Hi everyone,

A hack or a Game Genie code to allow a level select in Castlevania (Akumajou Dracula) on Nes, or a way to skip levels, would be awesome !

All the ideas shared here are so good, I wish I could be better at hacking to provide patches for everyone !

Take care everyone !

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5333 on: November 12, 2018, 12:01:51 pm »
A hack or a Game Genie code to allow a level select in Castlevania (Akumajou Dracula) on Nes, or a way to skip levels, would be awesome !

https://gamehacking.org/game/29200

Always worth checking that site to see if they have something you want. :)

EDIT: Actually that doesn't help an awful lot: that code will start you on the three parts of Level 1, but if you try to start on Level 2, the game loads the wrong ROM bank and everything is screwed up. I could try to figure out where the game decides which bank to use, but that will take a bit more hacking. I might give it a shot, though. Hell, at this point it'd probably be better to just include an actual level select in-game. :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:22:27 pm by Psyklax »

supernalli

• View Profile
need help with 2 snes translation titles
« Reply #5334 on: November 13, 2018, 03:41:49 am »
hello everyone, I'm a big SNES fan, I'd need help translating two fantastic titles. I searched for a long time on the internet without finding anything.
I would like you to help me translate these two titles:

ganbare daiku no gensan (hammerin' harry)
Shining Scorpion Mini 4WD Tamiya (mini 4wd)

TY ALL

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: November 13, 2018, 10:12:29 pm »
Reduce enemy encounters in Sword of Hope II and have monsters give more gold & exp to keep progress streamlined with less frequent battles. It's still a solid game that's a huge upgrade over the first game, but this would make it more so.

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: November 14, 2018, 02:23:11 am »
Any chance a Final Fight 2 US version restoration patch would be available in the future? there are a lot of stuff that has been changed or censored in the US release like enemies and stage background designs and I find the Japanese version far superior compared to it's US release.
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: November 14, 2018, 06:34:26 pm »
An easy mode's hack for Solomon's Key (NES) including stuff like more time limit, a continue option after game over, start with more lives and fireballs...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: November 14, 2018, 06:56:31 pm »
It already has a Continue option.
At the ''Game Deviation Value'' screen, hold Up, A, and B.
Someone would just need to make that happen normally.
The others sound like real basic cheat hacking.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #5339 on: November 15, 2018, 12:47:34 am »
I would like to see a hack for both the regular & the All-Stars versions of Super Mario World that will make the game look more like Yoshi's Island.
I got the idea from these edited screenshots that a game artist named @eto2d made on his Twitter account:

It would be great something like that, personally, the original SMW game was never my favorite, but it looks great! :o
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:43:40 am by sics »