News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 922734 times)

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4700 on: February 21, 2018, 08:04:05 am »
One of my favorite Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games is Mutant League Football. The Mutant League Hockey isn't too bad either but isn't quite at the same level. What I would really like to see is a Rom hack of NBA Showdown 94 that would be in the Mutant League style. There was supposed to have been a Mutant League basketball game but it never appeared. Anyone have the skills to make a try at this? By the way if someone to point my to a "Rom Hacking For dummies" page or video I would greatly appreciate it!  :thumbsup:
The new comers page Is good for pointers on where to start.

Raf4000

• View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: February 21, 2018, 08:37:03 am »
Hey! I'm new here but I joined cause my idea feels like it wants to burst out of my head. It's a simple Donkey Kong Country (SNES) music hack where only a few tracks are changed. These tracks would be Cave Dweller Concert, Voices of the Temple, Forest Frenzy and Ice Cave Chant. The tracks they would be replaced by will be remixes of the songs that were used in the GBC version of the game. The user by the name of sonicdoesfrontflips on Youtube already did some amazing remixes and it would be these that are used in the hack. The replacement track names are Cavey Cavey, Ancient Beaver Bop, Forest Frenzy (GBC), and Kremlantis respectively and the link to sonicdoesfrontflips' playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwxs2ttNL84FbQJZiN3cnqG747kQ-OFXm

Not sure how likely it is this hack will actually be made but I figure I'd throw it out there and cross my fingers.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: February 21, 2018, 05:40:27 pm »
Ever noticed how many games you can fly or jump offscreen and accidentally botch up your landing? I was thinking: perhaps it would be nice if there were ASM script and romhacks for games known to pull this to add an arrow pointing up  close to the top of the screen to show where the player is, this should perhaps help Super Mario Bros 3, World, among others, and even those who want to make "blind jumps" in romhacks less rage inducing.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #4703 on: February 21, 2018, 05:48:54 pm »
I have a simple idea but no way of doing it myself.
So some of you may have heard of The Cheetahmen 2. It's infamous for being a terrible game. Or it was til Paco-chan bugfixed it and made it playable. Anyways the first game is only available via a compilation cartridge 'Action 52'
It would be a decent idea to make a hack that either divides the games into separate roms or a hack that bypasses the selection screen and goes straight to Cheetahmen 1 or the other games on the compilation cart. With the latter hack idea you could technically make 52 hacks, 1 for each game which are otherwise unreleased games.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: February 22, 2018, 02:28:09 am »
Ever noticed how many games you can fly or jump offscreen and accidentally botch up your landing? I was thinking: perhaps it would be nice if there were ASM script and romhacks for games known to pull this to add an arrow pointing up  close to the top of the screen to show where the player is, this should perhaps help Super Mario Bros 3, World, among others, and even those who want to make "blind jumps" in romhacks less rage inducing.

While it is likely a doable thing within a game (it might not be linked to the OAM/OAM equivalent but the game will know the virtual location and not necessarily calculate it all as you fall back into view) I do have to say most games will give some indication by placing the screen in a give place, and blind jumping might be there but if a game tests/encourages control* then yeah.

*I once heard it argued Sonic is not about speed but actually about momentum control, at least in the 8-16 bit platformer era. If you are not then in control at a given point...

As far as making a generic script then one of my favourite links in the game camera types page https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub?embedded=true will speak to how that is not going to happen. On the other hand many tool assisted speedrun types will want to know the location (virtual or otherwise) of a character so you might be able to twist some of their stuff to your end if you are willing to use an emulator geared for it. The script to do it if they have the location stuff sorted would be pretty simple as well (if [some test to see if off screen] then [display some character/triangle/arrow picture at horizontal location and top of screen, or maybe the obvious variation if it is one of those games you can go off the side of the screen].

Rafaelele

• View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: February 22, 2018, 03:22:20 am »
I have a request, if someone could fulfill it, that would be great.

Kirby's Dreamland 3 NTSC-U
-Allow Kirby AND Gooey to ride animals simultaneously. The current game only allows 1 player on an animal at any given time.

Moondog

• View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: February 22, 2018, 01:40:15 pm »
hi i have a request that should be super easy for someone.

can someone please do a hack of Streets of Rage 2, which allows you to both play as the same character in the normal game but with player 2 having a different colour palette like in duel mode?

i know there is a cheat to play as the same character but both are identical making it a pain to tell them apart.

me and my mate really want to finish the game on mania but both love playing as Axel.

thanks  ;)

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: February 22, 2018, 02:07:27 pm »
a doubt of hack idea, always since you buy MK3 in genesis, have jhonny cage playable, in its ultimate version is not this either, there is some reason why it is not playable in the 16-bit versions, no hack for real hardware in Genesis has jhonny Cage as a player in UMK3, they could remove nighwolf or another and put it
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:09:12 pm by cartridge_rom »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: February 23, 2018, 01:59:49 am »
That's a really cool idea of adding Johnny Cage from MKT to the Genesis port of UMK3.

I think it's possible to add him to that port without removing any character by using Nemesis's UMK3 hack as the base for your idea, put him next to regular Sub-Zero on the character select screen and change Classic Sub-Zero into a hidden character.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: February 23, 2018, 12:33:27 pm »
I can remember in Wario Land II there were some rooms where Wario could jump from one room up to another and the camera wouldn't scroll until he landed.
I want to say there were some points the devs even abused that for traps. :P
(though of course that's a bigger problem than just not knowing where your character is)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4710 on: February 23, 2018, 08:07:40 pm »
a doubt of hack idea, always since you buy MK3 in genesis, have jhonny cage playable, in its ultimate version is not this either, there is some reason why it is not playable in the 16-bit versions, no hack for real hardware in Genesis has jhonny Cage as a player in UMK3, they could remove nighwolf or another and put it

I always say: Mortal Kombat isn't Mortal Kombat without Johnny Cage.

I wish I could do that in the SNES version too. Sheeva left, there's a ton of gibberish space... Some Cage in UMK3 could be awesome too.

Speaking of Arcades... There's something that bugged me in the SNES port of Sunset Riders.

Why not adjusting their colors to match the Arcade port?
Make unique sprites for Billy (here he's a palette swap of Steve minus his gun fold and victory pose).
Yeah, I know SCD, restore Chief Wigwam to Chief Scalpen...
Nope, have no idea how to insert native american enemies.

The demo plays aren't as close as possible to the Arcade ones.

Arcade demos:

The SNES Demo 1 has Steve, and demo 2 has Steve and Billy.

Proposed demos (had no time to make a proper mockup):

Shift

• View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: February 24, 2018, 05:17:50 am »
With the release of the Analogue Super NT, I was thinking about how the only games that really won't work are the CRT-only Super Scope games like Yoshi's Safari. I was reading about some games like T2 and Tinstar that can use both the Scope and the SNES Mouse, which does work on the NT and HD TVs. If those Scope games could be modded to work with the Mouse instead, that would be quite cool.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: February 24, 2018, 07:32:08 am »
this mini-hack is very complete, it has 28 fighters, I could remove one not very used and put jhonny cage
introduce a jhonny cage in this mini-hack of nemesis_c would be great
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=13105.0

can remove a nightwolf, sindel, kano or striker less charismatic and little used characters and put in its place slot a jhonny cage "van damme" :laugh:

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: February 24, 2018, 09:32:31 am »
this mini-hack is very complete, it has 28 fighters, I could remove one not very used and put jhonny cage
introduce a jhonny cage in this mini-hack of nemesis_c would be great
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=13105.0

can remove a nightwolf, sindel, kano or striker less charismatic and little used characters and put in its place slot a jhonny cage "van damme" :laugh:

Being honest, Chris Alexander as Johnny Cage fits with the aestethic of UMK3. Well, there's no nut punch but he gives some fresh air to the franchise.

I prefer the other arcade hack, if only they could fix the emulation errors...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: February 24, 2018, 12:39:03 pm »
With the release of the Analogue Super NT, I was thinking about how the only games that really won't work are the CRT-only Super Scope games like Yoshi's Safari. I was reading about some games like T2 and Tinstar that can use both the Scope and the SNES Mouse, which does work on the NT and HD TVs. If those Scope games could be modded to work with the Mouse instead, that would be quite cool.
I know in the GoodSNES set there was a Trainer ROM for Yoshi's Safari (or Road Hunting?) which claimed to support the standard controller but unlike the Mario & Wario controller hack I didn't bother converting it to IPS because I remember it didn't have a way to get through the starting menu so I don't remember if I even was able to use savestates with a standard ROM to check if the in-game hack even worked.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Shift

• View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: February 24, 2018, 06:38:07 pm »
I know in the GoodSNES set there was a Trainer ROM for Yoshi's Safari (or Road Hunting?) which claimed to support the standard controller but unlike the Mario & Wario controller hack I didn't bother converting it to IPS because I remember it didn't have a way to get through the starting menu so I don't remember if I even was able to use savestates with a standard ROM to check if the in-game hack even worked.
The set I downloaded a couple years ago doesn't seem to have that one. I suppose one thing such a hack would need is visible cross-hairs like the VC version of Duck Hunt, or the Snes9x Wii emulator. But in those cases it's not coded to the game itself, right?

Axelmania

• View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: February 25, 2018, 06:25:19 pm »
I heard about this place on /v/ IRC just now. I own a copy of Blood Omen which I got back into when my PS2 got busted and I managed to snag an old PS1 at Salvation Army for $10 to play it on.

I think I'm perceiving differences in the speed at which Kain sucks blood depending on how close he is to his targets, and maybe if he is sucking multiple targets at once, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm also curious at the AI behind his target selection. Best I can tell he prioritizes the closest one, but I could be wrong.

I'm interested in acquiring a ROM for my game and learning how to understand the source code behind Kain's bloodsucking just so I can look at the mechanics and not try to assess it in my head, which is prone to flaws.

Also wondering if there are ways I could make the game harder by making it take longer to suck blood if he's further off, if I was wrong about that being the case.

Craft_Mesa

• Mhm, I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: February 25, 2018, 10:52:51 pm »
I have an idea for a Rom Hack of Pocky and Rocky, which would replace Pocky and Rocky with Mega Man and Proto Man / Bass.

I'd make it myself, but I only have a Phone, which is probably not the best thing to make a Rom Hack with.
I can't see.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: February 26, 2018, 12:08:32 pm »
I have an idea for a Rom Hack of Pocky and Rocky, which would replace Pocky and Rocky with Mega Man and Proto Man / Bass.

I'd make it myself, but I only have a Phone, which is probably not the best thing to make a Rom Hack with.
Heh, Magic Card bullets.

Her-Saki

• View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: March 01, 2018, 12:20:45 pm »

I'm about to die! Could you please start the combo I want to make by pressing A?! *press A button desperately*

System: Haha, no.

Money Idol Exchanger is the most complex and underrated puzzle game ever made, scan the manga! a puzzle game released in 1997 by Face, similar to board puzzles like Magical Drop. You defeat your opponents making combos which send coin lines to the other board, and when the board is filled you die. The arcade version is known for allowing you to make an infinite number of combos, however...
you can't make any combo in the GBA port or the PSX port!
Well, you can, but the game will always freeze your "pull" button before the #3 chain due to some bug or limitation inside the game.
Given this conditions is kind of impossible to beat the game or even play without going terribly frustrated/bored.
I have tested this bug in various emulators and is common to both PSX and GBA port. You are doing a combo and then suddenly the machine doesn't allow you to continue the chain, limiting your action to just moving the stick side to side.
No need to say you probably won't want to even touch this port at all after you advance some steps in the game's mechanic.
That said... I think it would be nice to repair this game and bring it back to its fast combo pace action from the original arcade version. I'm not very knowledgeable about PSX processor but I feel that in expert hands this could be done, so I just wanted to propose this idea. Thanks in advance!
"Ask me about ROMs and your suffering will be legendary"