News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 642093 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4300 on: October 19, 2017, 12:53:14 pm »
Probably checksum protection, sounds like it's common on the Genesis.

Checksum, of course, good thinking. Segaretro says the exact thing that happened to me. Thankfully there's a utility on RHDN for this:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/342/

Now for me to try my hack again...

EDIT: Success. :) I changed the $14 to $02, fixed the checksum, and played up to the boss (sadly my savestate from the unhacked version crashed Bizhawk) and killed him in one hit. So yeah, if you wanted to double his hitpoints for some reason, change $14 to $28 and you're done. With that boss, anyway: you'll just have to play the game and figure out which bytes correspond to which boss/enemy.

Although I have to echo KingMike's sentiments:

Just increasing hit count I don't think increases the challenge in a good way.
If it's just the same shit repeated more times, that's only making it more tedious.

The same problem I have with JRPGs. "Okay, I can't reach the next part of the game, better spend an hour killing the same enemies over and over again!" But hey, changing the boss's health is far easier than doing anything else, and now you know how! :)

Incidentally, the fact that you need to fix the checksum, and that Bizhawk savestates don't work when you do (and it says "I don't know this game, what system is it?!"), really makes things more tedious for hacking. If there's another Genesis emulator with equally good debugging then I'd love to know about it. I tried Gens KMod and I couldn't see a way of making a breakpoint or even looking at the memory. Oh, if only all emulators could be like FCEUX. ::)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:27:50 pm by Psyklax »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: October 20, 2017, 04:45:06 pm »
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Breaks Loose (SNES)

Graphics mod that makes the game resemble a Sonic the Hedgehog game, or, turn Buster into Sonic for shits and giggles.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: October 20, 2017, 11:04:48 pm »
You could implement them as mini-dungeons you get randomly while sleeping at an inn, explained as the memories in the shards leeching into the characters through their dreams, you also have the choice of keeping dialogue sparse and just giving the story visually or in a surreal way.
I've just done a replay up until the rift, and here's the points I think would suffice:

-Small blurb whenever a Crystal Shard is obtained, though this would require reordering dialog during these events.  Especially when all the job names show up at once.
-Small blurb whenever you unseal a legendary weapon.
-Small blurb whenever you obtain a summon that isn't bought in a store.
-An amount of optional text can be added to the Cataplut, Phantom Village, Castle Surgate, and Library of the Ancients.  However the main problem is that almost all of it would be added to books/bookcases, and without iOS/Steam's exclamation mark indicator these would be very hard to find.
-Mini Dungeons are a neat idea, however I feel that they should be put in the merged world and postgame.  The point before the Void where you're basically just grabbing the last of stuff/filling in spell blanks could use some extra content in towns that were spared from everything like Jachol or Karnak, and I don't think many would complain about more stuff they can do after the game is over.  Maybe even make some more use for the sub or chocobos.

Feffe

• View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: October 21, 2017, 01:26:18 pm »
Would it be possible to port the Super Mario Collection (JP All-Stars) game selection screen into the USA version?
I greatly prefer the Japanese boxarts (and of course, the Japanese colors for the SNES controller) :)

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: October 21, 2017, 08:07:47 pm »
here's a good one. why not port the english translation of Dynamite Headdy's story text over to the UE version? then we could have the story in both the easier japanese version (strange how the japanese version of a game would be the easier one.) and the harder UE version.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #4305 on: October 21, 2017, 09:35:52 pm »
I have some ideas for ROM hacks mainly some improvements for games. For Ninja gaiden and Ninja gaiden 2 make it so that the enemies don't respawn so quickly or make them stay dead once you kill them. Also make it so that if you die to the final bosses of all the Ninja Gaidens you would start back in the third area of the last stages rather then starting back at the beginning of the final stages.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: October 21, 2017, 10:30:00 pm »
I happen to have the answer to the Ninja Gaiden level boss thing.
Code: [Select]
$E3D1:A6 6D     LDX $006D = #$01           A:00 X:30 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$E3D3:E0 13     CPX #$13                   A:00 X:01 Y:07 P:nVUbdIzc
$E3D5:90 04     BCC $E3DB                  A:00 X:01 Y:07 P:NVUbdIzc
$E3D7:A2 10     LDX #$10
$E3D9:D0 01     BNE $E3DC
$E3DB:CA        DEX                        A:00 X:01 Y:07 P:NVUbdIzc
$E3DC:A9 00     LDA #$00                   A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$E3DE:20 28 C0  JSR $C028                  A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C028:85 5C     STA $005C = #$02           A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C02A:8D FF FF  STA $FFFF = #$FA           A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C02D:4A        LSR                        A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C02E:8D FF FF  STA $FFFF = #$FA           A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C031:4A        LSR                        A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C032:8D FF FF  STA $FFFF = #$FA           A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C035:4A        LSR                        A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C036:8D FF FF  STA $FFFF = #$FA           A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C039:4A        LSR                        A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C03A:8D FF FF  STA $FFFF = #$FA           A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$C03D:60        RTS                        A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$E3E1:BD 2C AF  LDA $AF2C,X @ $AF2C = #$00 A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$E3E4:85 6E     STA $006E = #$01           A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc
$E3E6:86 6D     STX $006D = #$01           A:00 X:00 Y:07 P:nVUbdIZc

Those first lines there are the code to check if you are on level 6-4 or higher (level 19 or 0x13 in hex).
If you are, then the LDX #$10 sets you to level 6-1.
So there you go, change ROM $1E3E8.
I think this could be literally the only code in Ninja Gaiden that explicitly sets the level number. (6D is the level number, 6E will be the submap number)
Those last lines read the level number in X to get the submap ID (such as level 2-1 was what, 3 or 4 submaps long) or maybe just the level number to display on the screen (ie show all four of those 4 submaps as level "2-1")

Starting on level 1-1 in NG1 I'm sure is based on the RAM initialization code setting RAM to 0. You can only change the starting level by changing the RAM fill value but of course that will break things.
The rest of the time I believe NG changes the level number by doing a +1 or -1 to the level number (which is possibly why dying to any other bosses sends you to the BEGINNING of the previous level (ie 4-4 to 4-3) rather than the last checkpoint, and all the game automatically continues on Game Over.
Making a Game Genie code for level select (which the AVGN complained about not existing) mostly impossible unless you want to hijack the above code (which I'm sure I did as an example. Set the first CPX to (I'm guessing) 0x01 (level 1-2) and then change the LDX code to the desired level number and then you warp when you die to the level 1 boss.

I looked it up after watching the AVGN video. And yet youtube commenters want to take James' word as gospel that it's a bug when we can see pretty clearly in this code that it was intended behavior to go from 6-4 back to 6-1.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4307 on: October 22, 2017, 04:18:00 am »
Interesting stuff about Ninja Gaiden. The thing about stopping endless respawns would be good, though. The problem with 8-bit games is that to stop a respawn it needs to remember that the enemy already came out once: it's just spawning an enemy when you reach a point and doesn't care if there already was one. Doing so would probably mean saving in memory, though even with the NES's small memory I'm sure you could do it.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: October 22, 2017, 09:09:04 am »
I have some ideas for ROM hacks mainly some improvements for games. For Ninja gaiden and Ninja gaiden 2 make it so that the enemies don't respawn so quickly or make them stay dead once you kill them. Also make it so that if you die to the final bosses of all the Ninja Gaidens you would start back in the third area of the last stages rather then starting back at the beginning of the final stages.

I've actually already done both of those things for NG1 as part of the Deadpool hack I'm helping with.  That hack is enormous though, and is still at least a few months away from completion.  I suppose if there is interest I could extract those changes and make a separate improvement patch for NG1.

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: October 22, 2017, 01:11:19 pm »
Can someone possibly modify Star Fox 2 (SNES Classic Edition) to have Expert level selectable? Create an IPS patch that enables the "Expert" level to be selected, and also have Expert level flash like Hard and Normal levels when being selected.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: October 22, 2017, 02:08:36 pm »
Would it be possible to port the Super Mario Collection (JP All-Stars) game selection screen into the USA version?
I greatly prefer the Japanese boxarts (and of course, the Japanese colors for the SNES controller) :)

Make something similar with SMAS: PAL version, re-digitalize the correct artwork for that games.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: October 22, 2017, 04:02:42 pm »
If you know what you're doing, it's as easy as pie, though I've no idea what system or even what genre you're referring to. I presume it's RPGs? Gimme a specific game with a specific boss and I can show you how to do it. 8)

Now that I think of it, how hard is having Arcade games? There's a boss in an unreleased game called Chimera Beast. The fourth boss is a huge alien crocodile who happens to be the biggest boss in the game. ...Which pains me over the fact that he's the easiest boss in the game (why is it always the coolest boss in the game that's the biggest pushover). All of his moves are destroyable and, despite his size, he takes the least amount of hits to beat. :(

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: October 23, 2017, 10:59:12 am »
I looked it up after watching the AVGN video. And yet youtube commenters want to take James' word as gospel that it's a bug when we can see pretty clearly in this code that it was intended behavior to go from 6-4 back to 6-1.
It was originally a bug according to Masato Kato. Developers decided to keep it as a feature and maybe then cleaned up the code to look like intended behavior.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4313 on: October 23, 2017, 12:04:49 pm »
Now that I think of it, how hard is hacking Arcade games?

The ease of hacking usually depends on the emulator - not entirely but to a great deal. It also depends on the hardware. Thus, the NES is easy to hack because the system is very easy to understand, there's a great debug emulator in FCEUX, and there's an ocean of documentation out there.

The problem with arcade games is the opposite situation. Many arcade games use different hardware, and I'm not aware of any good debug emulators. I'd be curious to try it out, though. The easiest ones will be those that are similar to certain consoles, I presume, but without a good debug emulator it'll be a tall order.

EDIT: before anyone corrects me, I've just discovered that MAME has a built-in debug feature. Looks like I might have a play with it then. :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:17:03 pm by Psyklax »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: October 23, 2017, 05:08:26 pm »
Here's an idea, Can we add MSU-1 support to the Super Gameboy? and is it possible to have code on a Gameboy cart to take advantage of it? Because a MSU-1 hack of Donkey Kong 94 would be pretty fucking sweet.
Sleepy's tune of the week: Persona 3 - Battle Hymn of the Soul - https://youtu.be/bK8vpWIvA9o

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: October 23, 2017, 05:10:59 pm »
Maybe on an emulator with significant hacking.
But how would you put an MSU-1 device (such as a flashcart) and a Super Game Boy into a real console at once? :P
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: October 23, 2017, 05:48:35 pm »

But how would you put an MSU-1 device (such as a flashcart) and a Super Game Boy into a real console at once? :P

Sleepy's tune of the week: Persona 3 - Battle Hymn of the Soul - https://youtu.be/bK8vpWIvA9o

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #4317 on: October 23, 2017, 06:23:46 pm »
Here's an idea, Can we add MSU-1 support to the Super Gameboy? and is it possible to have code on a Gameboy cart to take advantage of it? Because a MSU-1 hack of Donkey Kong 94 would be pretty fucking sweet.

It's a great question, but needs more technical expertise than I could begin to dream.
I don't know the limits on what SNES code/data can go through the Super Gameboy.

pocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: October 24, 2017, 01:16:55 am »
There's a pretty cool patch for Super Mario All-Stars that swap Mario's overalls and shirt color in SMB1/TLL: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2766/

It's great for people that like Mario's iconic blue overalls, but I'm one of those who like the original red overalls look.

I'd like to see patches that do the opposite of this one for Super Mario Bros 2 ( considering he even wears red overalls on the box and all the official art )

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: October 24, 2017, 05:12:08 pm »
It's a great question, but needs more technical expertise than I could begin to dream.
I don't know the limits on what SNES code/data can go through the Super Gameboy.
I do know that Space Invaders apparently got an entirely separate SNES version to run from the GB cart when it was plugged into the Super Gameboy, but whether you can access that kind of functionality while in GB mode is a different story.