News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 642340 times)

darthvaderx

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4100 on: August 16, 2017, 08:20:12 pm »
Sonic Mania for Sega CD (Sonic CD hacked).

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: August 17, 2017, 01:22:02 am »
I think what would be cooler is someone make a Sega Saturn port of Sonic Mania.

I agree with both acediez and RealGaea, I would like to see hack for the Aeon Genesis English hack for the SNES port of Mega Man & Bass that will insert the official title screen to it along with making the script more like the official one from the GBA port as well.

I also agree with RealGaea on the idea on making the colors of the GBA port of MM&B to look more like its SNES counterpart as well.

Including I also would like to see a hack for Super Smash Bros. Melee that will make EGM's April Fool's playable Sonic & Tails code a reality as well:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:27:22 am by SCD »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: August 17, 2017, 12:26:48 pm »
I can only imagine Gideon would not be happy with someone inserting the official logo into his translation.
If there's not already bootlegs (I'm sorry "repros") of his translation, there certainly will be, and of course people will be directed to them by youtubers praising the bootleg (my manners "repro") makers as if it were an official product.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: August 17, 2017, 01:20:20 pm »
Just realized the original X thread was relocated here!

I'm sure I used a program which can look for potential strings (say, by finding whenever three ASCII characters are used in sequence, for example) but I can't find it. If anyone knows of such a program, that'd be great (in general, not just here).

You mean a relative search engine? I've used Opensearch3, a command-line tool, with good results.

Whew, that drew me in more than I thought it would. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the ENTIRE game text is in there. Quite astonishing that it's just sitting in the ROM, alongside the Japanese, and it's still only a 2MBit cart. Not gonna lie, I'm interested now. :D

Well, you have been getting your Z80 chops up with your Master System work, so...:D

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4104 on: August 17, 2017, 01:42:04 pm »
You mean a relative search engine? I've used Opensearch3, a command-line tool, with good results.

No, I don't mean relative search. :) In fact now I'm into assembly, I don't bother with relative searching because if you look at the code you get a better understanding of where the text comes from and how it got there. What I meant was a program/website tool that takes a binary file and spits out anything that could be a string. It's a nice way of finding hidden messages from devs. :) Alas I can't find it now.

Well, you have been getting your Z80 chops up with your Master System work, so...:D

In fairness, I did that X dump BEFORE I knew anything about Z80. I learnt about Z80 a few days ago. :)

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: August 17, 2017, 02:09:46 pm »
I agree with both acediez and RealGaea, I would like to see hack for the Aeon Genesis English hack for the SNES port of Mega Man & Bass that will insert the official title screen to it along with making the script more like the official one from the GBA port as well.

I also agree with RealGaea on the idea on making the colors of the GBA port of MM&B to look more like its SNES counterpart as well.

The colors? Yes.
The script? Neh, AGTP criteria is just fine.
The joke? I didn't knew that existed.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: August 17, 2017, 02:28:01 pm »
Whew, that drew me in more than I thought it would. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the ENTIRE game text is in there. Quite astonishing that it's just sitting in the ROM, alongside the Japanese, and it's still only a 2MBit cart. Not gonna lie, I'm interested now. :D

Wouldn't be the only game I've seen that.
Equinox/Solstice II for the SNES has both Japanese and English localizations stored in both the Japanese and US (and presumably PAL as well) ROMs, meaning they were both developed together. (although only the Japanese version got a scrolling prologue telling you the opening story, for the English release the backstory was relegated to the manual)

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: August 17, 2017, 04:08:46 pm »
What I meant was a program/website tool that takes a binary file and spits out anything that could be a string. It's a nice way of finding hidden messages from devs. :) Alas I can't find it now.

Maybe strings.exe? https://live.sysinternals.com/strings.exe

I ran it on x (jp) and it spits out a lot, stuff like:

56835:ONE CRYSTAL
56847:WILL RESTORE
56860:YOUR SHIELD
56872:TO MAXIMUM
56883:START  CANCELS
56898:A  CONTINUES
56911: YOU HAVE NO 
56926:CRYSTAL TO USE
56941:YOUR FUEL

That was got using: strings.exe -o -n 5 x.gb > x.txt

-o prints the checksum
-n 5 is minimum string length
> x.txt saves the strings into x.txt

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4108 on: August 17, 2017, 06:19:28 pm »
Maybe strings.exe? https://live.sysinternals.com/strings.exe

I ran it on x (jp) and it spits out a lot, stuff like:

56835:ONE CRYSTAL
56847:WILL RESTORE
56860:YOUR SHIELD
56872:TO MAXIMUM
56883:START  CANCELS
56898:A  CONTINUES
56911: YOU HAVE NO 
56926:CRYSTAL TO USE
56941:YOUR FUEL

That was got using: strings.exe -o -n 5 x.gb > x.txt

-o prints the checksum
-n 5 is minimum string length
> x.txt saves the strings into x.txt

Now that sounds more like it, thanks! :) It probably would've made my search through X easier, I had to go manually with my eyes...

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: August 17, 2017, 06:23:41 pm »
Rockman & Forte (SNES)

A patch to insert the official english title screen logo from the GBA version in the SNES version

Scratch that, the resolution of the GBA version's logo is useless for the SNES version. A new sprite based on the official logo has to be made.

I just realized there's a decompression/reinsertion tool available on this site! And I had a lot less trouble than I thought finding the logo of the title screen and the one after the character's selection (thanks RealGaea for pointing that one out, I almost forgot).

I guess I'll try to tackle this myself.

I can only imagine Gideon would not be happy with someone inserting the official logo into his translation.
If there's not already bootlegs (I'm sorry "repros") of his translation, there certainly will be, and of course people will be directed to them by youtubers praising the bootleg (my manners "repro") makers as if it were an official product.

I said "hopefully compatible" with his translation, not "specifically targeted at it". I get your point, maybe mentioning it and comparing screenshots was in bad taste, but I don't think it's reason enough to discourage this idea. The same "repros are a thing!" argument could be made for any other translation/localization effort.

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #4110 on: August 17, 2017, 06:50:05 pm »
Now that sounds more like it, thanks! :) It probably would've made my search through X easier, I had to go manually with my eyes...

It took me an hour with Google, and trying different tools before finding this one.

What's the plan now, replacing the Japanese text, or is there a register that turns it English, and it's just a matter of finding it? Because it looks to me like the complete English script is indeed present in the Japanese rom.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4111 on: August 17, 2017, 09:08:11 pm »
What's the plan now, replacing the Japanese text, or is there a register that turns it English, and it's just a matter of finding it? Because it looks to me like the complete English script is indeed present in the Japanese rom.

I would very much doubt that there's a magic button in the ROM that switches it into English mode... :) More likely would be changing pointers or something. I must admit it's not a priority for me right now... but I'll have a look at some point.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: August 17, 2017, 09:46:07 pm »
I guess I'll try to tackle this myself.

Oh, that's neat. Speaking of logos...

SCD did a fine job iwth this, why not redo the MM2-7 logos in japanese style?

I found this logo patch, the tiny error can be fixed in any way? Besides, it has an horrid logo before the intro.

This is just fine, only touches the logo. Also I want to restore Megaman sprite for the MM3. I respect MM3 improvement. But I just want the logos adapted, leaving the original gameplay an bugs intact.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: August 17, 2017, 10:30:04 pm »
The NES has a hardware limitation of one palette for each 16x16 pixels (2 tiles by 2 tiles) square.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: August 18, 2017, 11:13:18 am »
I wouldn't mind a Saturn or Sega CD port of Sonic Mania either. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if the other classic Sonic characters like Amy or Fang or heck, even Sally would be playable there.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4115 on: August 18, 2017, 03:32:54 pm »
The NES has a hardware limitation of one palette for each 16x16 pixels (2 tiles by 2 tiles) square.

Exactly, and that logo has five or six colours in that area, so it'd be tough to fix.

EDIT: Hold on, the original Rockman title screen is almost identical to that and doesn't have the problem...? :huh:

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #4116 on: August 18, 2017, 07:29:25 pm »
Hack the US release of Final Fantasy 8 (PSX version), and update its translation. No full retranslation is required. This is something I wanted to do myself, but there aren't any great FF8 tools I can use, not for the PSX version. A little bit of image editing is necessary too (some of the images in the tutorials need to be updated along with the translation). This is all I could do about this game. I guess my hack can't be submitted here on RHDN because it didn't require any hard work lol.

Decensoring the blood on the final dungeon would be appreciated too.
Currently working on: Xenogears Script Revision + Term Corrections
My ROM hacking blog: https://almagest712.blogspot.com/

yugon

• View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: August 19, 2017, 03:06:29 am »
I don't know if anybody would want to tackle this, but it would be so great of somebody could make a hack for Metal Walker for the Game Boy Color and fixed the enemy encounter taste because it's gone berzerk. You will always be attacked after 2-5 steps (even in towns) and while the battle system was original for the time, it's slow paced so battling enemies every minute gets really boring quite quickly. I wonder if this was intensional or just slipped by unnoticed by the QA team...

Mattrizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: August 19, 2017, 08:55:51 am »
Exactly, and that logo has five or six colours in that area, so it'd be tough to fix.

EDIT: Hold on, the original Rockman title screen is almost identical to that and doesn't have the problem...? :huh:
The Rockman 4 title screen uses sprites to patch those areas. Unsurprisingly, the sprite tiles and the associated palettes still exist in all versions titled Mega Man 4, but are unused.

They are highlighted in green in the following image:

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: August 19, 2017, 11:43:02 am »
I wouldn't also mind if there was a Justin Bailey mode for the GBA Metroid games like how they did with the first game, but I can imagine remaking the sprites and cutscenes to fit those modes would be difficult.