News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 644063 times)

Sinis

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4080 on: August 10, 2017, 01:13:57 pm »
Here's an idea.  A utility that can alter and change everything found in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon.  Something similar to that of the DSvania Editor :)
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse Community Wiki Thread
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21344.0

Discord: Sinis#4332

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: August 10, 2017, 02:19:57 pm »
I would like to see a hack for the SNES port of Blackthorne that will change the color of the green blood that comes out of both the humans and the goblins to red to make it more like its PC counterpart, I also want to see the red blood restored back to the continue screen as well.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #4082 on: August 11, 2017, 08:38:17 pm »
I'd like to see a utility to edit Castlevania: SOTN. Edit the levels, enemy sprites, handle the palettes, work with the game text. I enjoyed that game and it's Gothic theme, particularly the audio dialogue, and how they flipped the castle upside down before you fight Dracula.
One small step for man,
one giant leap for mankind. -Neil Armstrong

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: August 12, 2017, 02:08:19 pm »
X (エックス Ekkusu) is a three-dimensional first-person shooter video game released for the Game Boy only in Japan in 1992. Very unique, it was the game that inspired the Super FX chip and Star Fox.

An English release was in development but never completed, although as some commenters on YouTube noted:

"I looked into X's code and found LOTS of English text. Perhaps there's a soft dip switch that can make X run in mostly English?"

"There is, however, English text hidden in the Japanese ROM. Not just the tiny bits of English you see in menus and the UI- there are some mission descriptions if I recall. Maybe some hacking could be done to enable it? It may just be leftovers from the Lunar Chase demo."

"There's much unused English text in this game that can be seen in ANSI encoding, e.g. mission/tutorial descriptions beginning from 12ACF."

"There is a lot of unused text, possibly leftovers from the US prototype known as Lunar Chase."

This "Lunar Chase" is the incomplete English prototype that's floating around.

I wonder if the text from the two (X & Lunar Chaser) could be cobbled together into a full English release.

Anyone care to take a look? Thanks!

X was also the debut game for Kazumi Totaka, the now famous Japanese video game music composer.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:55:35 pm by maseter »

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: August 12, 2017, 03:32:57 pm »
Quite a few people have looked into this, me included (not that I have the chops to pull off the necessary work). I think it may be easy to overestimate how much content in Lunar Chase could really be used for a localization, since the differences between LC and X are pretty big.

That said, X is arguably one of the most important Game Boy games that haven't yet been translated -- maybe the most important, in its way -- so it's surprising that no one seems to have taken a real shot at it.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4085 on: August 12, 2017, 04:57:21 pm »
I'm sure it would be an interesting game to translate, but as goldenband said, if nobody's yet pulled it off, there could be a reason. I do find it amusing that YouTube commenters are giving precise locations for text in the ROM, yet aren't doing anything about it. :D

So anyway, I've opened up my hex editor of choice and looked inside for ASCII text, and there is plenty in both ROMs, so I'll tell you what I can see.

First, X itself.
$3413 - "TIMER EXPIRED"
$3475 - "BONUS.10 X TIMER.GET READY.GO GO GO"
$3668 - "SHIELD DESTROYED.NOT DEEP ENOUGH.TUNNEL DESTROYED"
$7CFD - "GAME OVER"
$9228 - a list of objects, though whether it's used in-game or just for debug purposes I don't know (I have never played the game)
$9F95 - "TUNNEL"
$9FD5 - "EXIT.RIGHT.LEFT.EARTH"
$B672 - another list, looks like a shop as it includes items and "BUY.SELL.CANNOT SELL HERE"
$BA34 - "DYLAN...........FRED............BOB.............SUPERMAN........DYLAN" (high scores or something?)
$C2A8 - dialogue for someone selling 'podules'
$DE03 - "ONE CRYSTAL.WILL RESTORE.YOUR SHIELD.TO MAXIMUM.START  CANCELS.A  CONTINUES. YOU HAVE NO  .CRYSTAL TO USE.YOUR FUEL"
$F5A3 - "COUNTDOWN.OBJECT LOCKED.LOCK OFF.  OUT OF RANGE  .STANDBY OK"
$11B03 - "MISSION .COLLECT . CRYSTALS.DESTROY .RETURN TO BASE"
$126F2 - "NO HELP.AVAILABLE.FOR THIS.MISSION"
$12ACF - big chunk containing "help" bits and mission descriptions (1 to 15)
$16ABB - "This Base Has Run.$1Out Of Supplies..$1Out Of Missiles..$1Out Of Fuel Supplies..$1Out Of Materials" (finally using lower case... actually, the tech demo uses VWF, though I would be surprised if that code remains in the release version)
$16D9F - "NO SHIELD LEFT!"
$16F3A - "POINT REACHED"
$16F93 - "SILO DESTROYED.VIDEO PIC TAKEN.ROD INSERTED.SILO NOW SAFE.$1DAMAGE HIGH"
$16FFC - "FUEL LOW.PAU ##SED"
$17983 - "RADIO LINK"
$17DB2 - text saying "Mission One" up to ten (not 15, like at $12ACF)
$22B69 - credits (interestingly, it lists four people who helped with English support, and finishes with "LUNAR CHASE....WAS.BROUGHT TO.YOU BY[[.....NINTENDO.\ 1991" :) )
$28C94 - random in-game messages
$391F5 - another credits! Byte-for-byte identical to that at $22B69

That was all just scrolling manually through the ROM while looking at the ASCII text. I'm sure I used a program which can look for potential strings (say, by finding whenever three ASCII characters are used in sequence, for example) but I can't find it. If anyone knows of such a program, that'd be great (in general, not just here).

I won't list everything in the tech demo, because it's mostly the same, though under different offsets. There are differences, words changed here and there, but nothing major. The big thing that's NOT in the final release is the intro, located at $17BD1. Also, it only includes everything up to "NO HELP.AVAILABLE.FOR THIS.MISSION", plus the intro I just mentioned. So nothing from after that in the released ROM is in the tech demo - not surprising since it was a demo.

Whew, that drew me in more than I thought it would. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the ENTIRE game text is in there. Quite astonishing that it's just sitting in the ROM, alongside the Japanese, and it's still only a 2MBit cart. Not gonna lie, I'm interested now. :D

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: August 14, 2017, 05:39:35 am »
A "Zero the Ripper" Mega Man Zero romhack could be interesting. The idea for it?
  • Cyber Elf no longer cripples the rank (unless it is the temporary ones)
  • Ranks are awarded on a per level basis rather than total average
  • Z-Saber starts out with at least triple slash unlocked, same goes for Z-Buxter (Up to Charge Shot unlocked) and Triple Rod (double extend unlocked)
  • Zero's animations goes twice faster, as well as movement (except fall) and dash (length stays the same though). Animations in cutscenes should flow at normal speed
  • Dashing allows Zero to slip through most forms of attacks, as if he was temporarily under the effect of Jackson
  • Bosses are permanently in their hardest mode (as if the player were constantly in S Rank)
  • Increased item drop, however Energy Crystals ALSO get a drop rate boost
  • Skip text and scenes freely with Start
  • When using Sub Weapon C-Mode (Switch), it should swap the icons underneath the health bar
  • Ultimate Mode & Cyber Elves that evokes similar functions should not have the Command Input for Charged Attacks
  • Zero replenishes some (small) amount of health when using Z-Knuckle on an enemy in Zero 4 and successfully robbing their weapon

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: August 14, 2017, 05:52:26 am »
Reverse the buttons in Alex Kidd in Miracle World!

Seriously, I can't play this game, because the buttons are backwards.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: August 14, 2017, 10:25:17 am »

That sounds like an easy enough hack to do.

I don't know if there are any good enough debuggers for Genesis/SMS games though, at least a RAM viewer of some sort would help so you can visualize whether a button is being pressed or not, that would help you to map down what Hex value corresponds to which button input.

In theory, you just gotta do a search in the ROM for a routine which does something like an LDA $XXXX (where XXXX is the button input offset in RAM address) and then modify the value that said routine reads (for example, it could be a CMP or an AND #$YYYY where YYYY is the hex value of the button input), and then simply switch the YYYY value for that of the other button.

The same would apply to the second button.

I am completely oblivious to 68k and Z80 ASM, which both Genesis and SMS use, respectively, so I cannot be of much help there, much less not knowing of any debugger for the systems at hand.
Also, note that this is merely speculation/theory, so I don't know if the actual implementation would go as easy as I think it would due to my lack of experience with anything Sega related.

Oh and I am also not really adept in ASM. xD

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: August 14, 2017, 12:45:10 pm »

Didn't Sega themselves release two versions of the game, with opposite button settings?
I think a cartridge and a BIOS version. They should be both out there.

I think the button reading in SMS uses the I/O port registers, so the controller I think is "IN a,($DC)" (and $DD as well)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: August 14, 2017, 01:27:02 pm »
Final Fantasy Adventure - a quality of life hack that greatly increases the text speed in game.

The normal text speed is soooooooooooo slooooooooow.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: August 14, 2017, 02:15:04 pm »
I always disliked the title "Final Fantasy Adventure" due to it being more of a Mana game. Maybe someone should've translated to either "Story of Mana" or maybe "Sword of Mana" after the GBA version.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4092 on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:04 pm »

It has already been done; once by Sega in a later version of the game, once by Calindro for his KiddEd editor. I use it in Radaxian Rumble.

Edit:
Blackthorne (32X)
Replace the prerendered sprites with the ones from the SNES or PC version. This is a pretty good port but I don't think the new sprite look works with the backgrounds.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: August 15, 2017, 05:08:43 pm »
I always disliked the title "Final Fantasy Adventure" due to it being more of a Mana game. Maybe someone should've translated to either "Story of Mana" or maybe "Sword of Mana" after the GBA version.
It later got a real remake for Android called "Adventures of Mana"

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: August 15, 2017, 05:48:26 pm »
Rockman & Forte (SNES)

A patch to insert the official english title screen logo from the GBA version in the SNES version

Hopefully make it compatible with the Aeon Genesis translation. It has its own logo design, but it would be nice to have the option to play that translation with the official english logo on it.

squirrelpup

• View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: August 16, 2017, 03:56:37 am »
How about a completionist hack of Super Mario World?  In most subsequent Mario games (including Mario DX for Gameboy Color) the game will remember whether you've gotten all of the Yoshi Coins / Star Coins in each level.  I was hoping they'd do this in the GBA release of Mario World, but no such luck.

Here's all ya gotta do:
 - If a player collects all the Yoshi coins in a stage, display an indicator while they are standing on that stage.
 - If a player collects all the Yoshi coins in the entire game, pallete-swap the title screen or something, like in Yoshi's Island.

I think this version would be a lot of fun =].

------------

Oh, also, I've probably mentioned this before, but I'd love to see a hack of Final Fantasy Tactics that changes the way experience points and job points are awarded.  Rather than awarding them per action, it would give all party members a lump sum of points at the end of the battle.  This number should be pretty high so players can earn new jobs and abilities naturally as they play without resorting to grinding.  Also, JP Boost should be removed.

Why?  Because the per-action method is a huge distraction.  Rather than thinking about tactics, you might end up thinking about how to get your dudes to level up most effectively, which means doing lots of quick actions with high accuracy rather than risking doing attacks that could miss or take multiple rounds to execute.

------------

Btw, some hacks I'm really glad exist:

* FF6 Brave New World, and specifically the recent hack that removes ATB and makes it a proper turn-based game, as well as all the other combat mechanics fixes.

* A Link to the Past Randomized.  I love this game and it's great that folks have found a way to inject some mystery into it once again.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4096 on: August 16, 2017, 09:19:17 am »

Pulseman (MD)
1. Extended "flight": Make the volteccer/"arkanoid" move go on infinitely (until the button is pressed again) regardless of if the player is hitting a wall or not with it.

2. Better "flight" contol: Make it possible to also go diagonally downwards with the aforementioned move for better control. Currently just diagonally upwards is possible.

3a. Easier charging: Make it possible to charge the volteccer by holding the attack button down as well, for easier use in tight areas/near pits/near enemies.
3b. Alternatively, make it possible to cancel the dash move (which charges the volteccer, double tap forward) by pressing the opposite direction on the d-pad and/or by jumping.
3c. Another alternative could be to make the movement acceleration a bit faster so that Pulseman starts running sooner, since this also affects charging.

4. Make the "free volteccer/stay charged" power up (the lightning bolt) last until you get killed instead of until you enter the next screen/area, so you are punished for bad play instead of progression.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: August 16, 2017, 10:38:03 am »
How about a completionist hack of Super Mario World?  In most subsequent Mario games (including Mario DX for Gameboy Color) the game will remember whether you've gotten all of the Yoshi Coins / Star Coins in each level.  I was hoping they'd do this in the GBA release of Mario World, but no such luck.

Here's all ya gotta do:
 - If a player collects all the Yoshi coins in a stage, display an indicator while they are standing on that stage.
 - If a player collects all the Yoshi coins in the entire game, pallete-swap the title screen or something, like in Yoshi's Island.

I'm sure a Dragon Coins indicator hack has been done in SMW SNES before, as I've watched people play ROM hacks with it.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: August 16, 2017, 12:22:34 pm »
Rockman & Forte (SNES)

A patch to insert the official english title screen logo from the GBA version in the SNES version

Hopefully make it compatible with the Aeon Genesis translation. It has its own logo design, but it would be nice to have the option to play that translation with the official english logo on it.

Seconded, also the logo must be adapted when you selected a character and displays the logo again.

ALSO, restore the colors from the SNES version to the GBA version, for all regions.

Show some love to the game that was left out from Megaman Legacy Collection 2!

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: August 16, 2017, 05:32:17 pm »
Show some love to the game that was left out from Megaman Legacy Collection 2!
That's exactly what inspired me to make the post  :laugh: