News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1349569 times)

RealGaea

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3940 on: June 12, 2017, 03:58:35 pm »
Can anyone make a color restoration for Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX? It's way too bright!

And "censor" it? I mean in the good side. Making a "Probotector Advance" for the EUR version. I'm very fond of those robots because a friend of mine has the original NES cartridges.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: June 12, 2017, 06:48:40 pm »
So, think about this: CD-i Zelda could be proper remade in things like the GB ones, ALTTP, Zelda Classic or Battle of Olympus.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: June 13, 2017, 03:14:01 pm »
Here's an idea, and I don't remember if I told this, but here it is: Megaman in Cocoron! Playing as either him, Roll, Protoman, Bass, or possibly one of the Robot Masters in that game would totally be fun.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: June 18, 2017, 03:16:35 pm »
Inspired by N. Sane Trilogy, someone should hack Warped to make Coco more playable. We'll worry about the first two games later.

retroverse

• View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: June 18, 2017, 05:16:50 pm »
So, think about this: CD-i Zelda could be proper remade in things like the GB ones, ALTTP, Zelda Classic or Battle of Olympus.

I had a similar idea a while back - I started a hack (using ZOLE) to turn Oracle of Ages into a game inspired by Wand of Gamelon, but it's in a very early stage.  If/when I get to a point where the overworld reflects the Gamelon map, I'll start a project thread.

rainbwsprinklez

• Anything is possible :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: June 19, 2017, 11:22:39 am »
I have a simple hack idea.... speedrunners of dkc are commonly asked to collect all the kong letters... so, what about a hack that hides the trigger for the exit to a level until you find all kong letters? so that way you have to find them all
Anything is possible :)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: June 19, 2017, 07:45:53 pm »
I don't imagine it would be too hard to put if one knew how the exit is coded but I don't see why that would be necessary? If they're playing under a speedrun rule that they have to find them all, then they'd find them all anyways (or manually have their entry disqualified).

The only sort of popular self-imposed challenge I can think of where altering the ROM is necessary is like no coins/points in SMW.
Maybe Pokemon "Nuzlockes" but that is a very loosely-defined category anyways that leaves a lot to the player's interpretation of the rules.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: June 20, 2017, 06:24:16 am »
Can anyone make a color restoration for Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX? It's way too bright!

And "censor" it? I mean in the good side. Making a "Probotector Advance" for the EUR version. I'm very fond of those robots because a friend of mine has the original NES cartridges.

I support this project I like, it would be fantastic to see a Probotector Advance

Also could be a possible simple hack of the pirate port Nes - Contra Spirits

New color palette, switch to humans by robots sprites and add end game sprites photo
add sprite final score screen
Music themes with famitracker, the originals are bad

It would be a hack patch called Probotector III Alien Rebels for Nes, it would be great
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:32:23 am by cartridge_rom »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: June 20, 2017, 04:14:09 pm »
I support this project I like, it would be fantastic to see a Probotector Advance

Also could be a possible simple hack of the pirate port Nes - Contra Spirits

New color palette, switch to humans by robots sprites and add end game sprites photo
add sprite final score screen
Music themes with famitracker, the originals are bad

It would be a hack patch called Probotector III Alien Rebels for Nes, it would be great

Speaking of Probotector...

Restore the 30-lives and Level Select code on "Contra III: The Alien Wars" and "Super Probotector: Alien Rebels".

The game is insanely hard, Hardcorps is Harder, but hey: here they restored the cheat codes and the life bar.

Split the Konami Game Boy Collection Vol.1 in Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eJYtontx8g (Probotector, GB ver.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QOvhcsCDys (Konami Collection Vol. 1, that includes "Probotector", but has Contra artwork.)

-As the EUR version says "Probotector", this isn't the robot version. Add the robots! IN COLOR! and some kickass robot in the opening.
-There' isn't a USA version on this collection, so add the Contra or Operation C logo.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: June 21, 2017, 09:02:59 am »
This unlicensed game Contra III for Nes :)
https://tcrf.net/Contra_Spirits_(NES)

You can take advantage of unused ROM material for the enhancement patch, intro title screen and score screen as well fonts for graphic text fonts

The most basic hack would be to change the characters by robots
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:34:32 pm by cartridge_rom »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: June 21, 2017, 01:46:05 pm »
So in the Megaman 6 Megamix manga there was two other Robot Masters..."Karate Man" & "Build Man". I think if possible it would be nice to see two guest RMs inside a MM6 romhack.

Maybe inside the Mr. X & Wily stages as Minibosses?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: June 21, 2017, 11:37:16 pm »
Ideas for Super Metroid:
1. Instant Death Clip Data. You know, Metroid Prime Hunters is possibly the first metroid to feature pits that causes instant death. This, along with instant death by crushing, would be a fun thing to add for Super Metroid modders.
2. Metroid Prime 2D in Super Metroid. I think someone(s) has started those but they just "died". It would be interesting to see a come back.
3. Varied Beams. A thing I found interesting in Prime and Prime Hunters is how each beam or affinity weapon had very distinct behavior and made each useful for a situation. The same done to Super Metroid along with a quick and practical Beam Switching would rock.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: June 22, 2017, 03:15:08 pm »
This unlicensed game Contra III for Nes :)
https://tcrf.net/Contra_Spirits_(NES)

You can take advantage of unused ROM material for the enhancement patch, intro title screen and score screen as well fonts for graphic text fonts

The most basic hack would be to change the characters by robots

Make an oficial bootleg? This amuses me. Somebody get rid of the "WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF GAME. A GAME END." and insert something coherent, like "RED FALCON HAS PLANNED FOR EARTH... TO BE A LIVING HELL."

Make more original-like your bootlegs!

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: June 23, 2017, 11:53:13 am »
I'd really love if there were some way to reduce the rolling health speed in Earthbound to make battles more strategic.  Simple change, but it's one of the few things I just can't edit in Earthbound with the existing tools.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: June 24, 2017, 07:32:17 am »
There is one idea which should be a easy thing to do by experienced hackers for the pokemon games.

Remove the 510 Effort Value limit and instead increase it to 1530 EV for Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, FireRed/LeafGreen, Diamond/Pearl/Platinium, HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White 1&2.

As a result, pokemon become more sturdy, but also becoming less reliant on one attacking stat. The speed overall also increases or decrease if you use trickroom/gyroball.

herno

• View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: June 24, 2017, 06:56:52 pm »
So, I found this crazy RC Pro Am hack with Mario Kart characters.  Saw a video of it online and found the ROM.  However, wouldn't it be cool if it could be fleshed out somehow with a new title screen and art and new stats and stuff.  Maybe even new music.  Would be a cool 8-bit Mario Kart.  If I new how to do this, I'd love to try my hand at it, but have absolutely NO hacking experience whatsoever.  Anyone think this is a good idea?

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: June 25, 2017, 08:59:08 am »
I'd like to see some sound work done on a couple of Gameboy games if possible,

First of all, Donkey Kong GB, playing it for the first time, amazing game too, but it sounds a little sharp/crunchy even in VBA and becomes ear bleedingly unbearable in Libretro Gambette on 3Ds(Sharper, and clipping in and out), it would be cool to have better, more functional sound and music in this game, maybe identify why the sound is bugging out in the first place.

Secondly I have a similar problem in Quest RPG: Brians Journey, very sharp and crunchy music, It's pretty bad to my ears no matter how it's emulated and I didn't get far because I couldn't stand it.

DK GB at least has Super Gameboy enhancement, can we use that to get better sound?
This is also the only game I've had bug out on Gambette so far.

I'm thinking about trying this myself, but no musical talent+no research done yet.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: June 25, 2017, 11:14:21 am »
I know VBA isn't the most accurate GB emulator (particularly I've had issue with SRAM in a couple MBC2 games though I fixed that by using bgb instead with accuracy settings on), though I'm not sure where it stands in sound quality.

SGB sound in DK might possibly require full SGB emulation (which only higan does). I've heard some say the DK sounds are in the SGB BIOS, though I'm not sure if that's true.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: June 25, 2017, 01:48:20 pm »
There is one idea which should be a easy thing to do by experienced hackers for the pokemon games.

Remove the 510 Effort Value limit and instead increase it to 1530 EV for Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, FireRed/LeafGreen, Diamond/Pearl/Platinium, HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White 1&2.

As a result, pokemon become more sturdy, but also becoming less reliant on one attacking stat. The speed overall also increases or decrease if you use trickroom/gyroball.
This is good for like, Touhoumon insane or other hard hacks with some balancing.  However, in vanilla the game is designed in a way that you can typically manage more than fine with just grabbing random EVs.  Another thing would also be applying these EVs to trainers (including Battle Frontier, requires repoint), because a newer development is giving nature/EVs to NPC battles.

Combine these all together though and you'd have heights higher than over level 100 battles.  You could also use this to really prolong the journey and keep a curve, because Pokemon could easily be stronger than their levels imply.  Especially If somehow someone were to create Dragon Quest VI/VII style caps to EVs that raise as the game moves forward.  Lots of ASM involved here though, you'd probably have to rewrite the whole system.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:38:03 pm by Chronosplit »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: June 25, 2017, 04:59:50 pm »
I was looking into Metroid IV original concept and some unused stuff and thought... It would be really cool to implement the unused enemies (Geega, Skree, Ki Hunter Nest, Kago, Gas Cloud as some sort of temporary obstacle in Sector 1 or 5 (until the Atmospheric Stabilizers are all fixed, or until Nightmare is defeated), health bar, wave buster (as seen in the E3 2001 Metroid IV video) and Metroid IV's walking on walls and ceilings. I bet it would be very hard to do that, but would surely spice up things.