News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2056344 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3780 on: April 22, 2017, 05:37:41 pm »
A couple of things I'd like to see.
Street Fighter Alpha 2 or 3 converted into a new version of Street Fighter 1 with all 10 characters playable and Sagat without the scar as the final boss.

Dragon Quest VI for Super Famicom with the current translation finished or take the Ds translation and apply it for a complete work.

Chaos Rush's translation of Final Fantasy III fixed to work with real hardware with the multiply bug and overflow errors corrected.

An NES version of Wily Tower.

A title change for Bare Knuckle III to Streets of Rage that is compatible with the current translation.

I have wanted this for a long time. There is MUGEN game called Street Fighter One, that doeas have all the original characters playable, but it uses the original arcade graphics and some of the characters have new moves with graphics from non street fighter games. Still fun to play, and it has Cody as a secret playable character.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: April 22, 2017, 11:54:46 pm »
So, Castlevania Aria of Sorrow takes place in Japan... Getsufuumaden also takes place in Japan (I think). So, I was thinking: a redoing of Aria of Sorrow, but centered around the forgotten warrior, with new sprites and stuff. The creatures could be replaced with Yokais and creatures of Asian folklore in general, if the story and cutscenes could be modified too that would help make a "Legend of Getsu Fuuma" vibe.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: April 23, 2017, 06:57:28 am »
Takes place in (Shinto?) hell. Using AoS as a base for a GFD hack would work pretty well, I think.
And if the DSVania Editor keeps progressing like it has, then it will have support for AoS.
That'll really make it easier to get this idea off the ground.

Me_Dave

• Romhacking Psychoanalyst
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
« Reply #3783 on: April 23, 2017, 09:17:18 am »
I bought the Famicom "NES" game Jongbou which is like a Arkanoid game with Mahjong Tiles also known as Mahjong Block, but anyway I found out that originally it came out on the Arcade as an Adult Only Game, however the Adult Content was removed from the later Famicom release.

So if anyone could find a way to restore the Adult Content to the Famicom version that would be cool..

Jongbou
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: April 23, 2017, 12:50:27 pm »
Without looking it up, I'm going to take a wild guess there's naked ladies revealed as you remove tiles.
If they were a large background image, it likely would not be possible with the NES tile limitations.

I know Puzznic had dirty girl pictures as backgrounds originally in the Japanese arcade version, but for the western arcade version and console ports it was censored out (though it looks like the X68000 included it as an option).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: April 23, 2017, 01:18:49 pm »
I have wanted this for a long time. There is MUGEN game called Street Fighter One, that doeas have all the original characters playable, but it uses the original arcade graphics and some of the characters have new moves with graphics from non street fighter games. Still fun to play, and it has Cody as a secret playable character.

I'm trying that now. It's decent.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: April 23, 2017, 01:37:03 pm »
Shovel Tales - a hack of Duck Tales for NES that makes the game themed after Shovel Knight. The mechanics are close enough to make it a fun, fuck-around-with kind of thing.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Me_Dave

• Romhacking Psychoanalyst
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
« Reply #3787 on: April 23, 2017, 08:45:51 pm »
Without looking it up, I'm going to take a wild guess there's naked ladies revealed as you remove tiles.
If they were a large background image, it likely would not be possible with the NES tile limitations.

I know Puzznic had dirty girl pictures as backgrounds originally in the Japanese arcade version, but for the western arcade version and console ports it was censored out (though it looks like the X68000 included it as an option).

That may be the case, I don't know, as I haven't played the game long enough to find out if you even get rewarded in the Famicom version. The cartridge I have is kind of slow loading on my Game Fillip "Famicom Clone" would likely have to play it in a emulator instead.

Supposedly the Arcade game rewarded players for successfully clearing certain stages by presenting them with drawings of partially clothed women.
Isn't that the same thing. lol
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: April 24, 2017, 12:40:22 am »
Here's a strange idea I think everyone can probably agree with: Megaman in Cocoron

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: April 24, 2017, 12:59:51 am »
It can be called Mega Man in Fear and Loathing in 20XX.

I would like to see a hack for Mario Kart DS that would replace Dry Bones with Koopa Troopa.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: April 24, 2017, 05:43:56 am »
Not sure if it falls under this topic, but would it be theoretically possible to replace MIDI music in DS games with higher formats? Personally I would love to see Megaman Zero Collection get a music update.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: April 24, 2017, 06:58:07 am »
Yes but how much effort it takes varies.

The main DS sound format is one known as SDAT. Few games use other formats but let us not go there now. I can't remember offhand what MM zero collection used but I will go with SDAT for now.

SDAT is broken down into three main formats
SSEQ, a midi like format. The instruments/soundfonts are a thing called sbnk.
STRM. Long PCM or ADPCM audio tracks (there is hardware support for ADPCM) that can be full songs if you want.
SWAR/SWAV. Small audio samples of PCM or ADPCM. Used for sound effects and more.

The compiler will strip out unused aspects of the code -- if the game does not use STRM then crowbarring it in there will not get you far as the game will likely not be able to call it.
However for New Super Mario Brothers a guy named Dirbaio hacked in a wave support for the game and released the code, you would in turn have to adapt it
https://github.com/Dirbaio/NSMBCR/blob/master/source/wavplayer.cpp

If you are playing the cowboy then we have seen people break a song into sample length.. samples and make the SSEQ play back each sample in turn to do something like wave type playback.

I don't know offhand what sort of frequency limit your sounds are likely to top out at (looking at what I have ripped and the sound channel debug window of desmume most games seem to favour 11KHz, 22KHz, or something in between for the higher end stuff, however homebrew can go higher).

Depending upon what you find at fault with the music it could also be a case of lazy devs (Capcom are not known for high class dev work, especially not on the GBA and DS).. Go through the banks properly, sample instruments again and make it either truer to older versions or embrace elements from it.

If it is one of the other formats then they tend to be either wave/pcm/something that feeds directly into the hardware, something high level, something maybe known in games and very rarely are they truly custom other sequenced formats, though there are some.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: April 24, 2017, 10:48:03 am »
I wonder if it is possible to make NDS Star Wars Force Unleashed 1 and 2 playable through only the buttons, pull a "No Touchscreen" patch on them. The first one might be doable, as the "buttons" are all on Touch Screen and the minigames to "use the force" could be forced to victory. But the second one... I'm not so positive
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:05:35 pm by Tsukiyomaru0 »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: April 24, 2017, 05:22:24 pm »
Might want to be a bit more specific there. From context and a bit of knowledge you probably want the DS versions looked at, there are however wii and IOS versions and a few other mobile versions. Not to mention you say that game to most people and they will likely think of the home console or PC versions (they were the ones with all the reviews, advertising...).

I am unlikely to be able to find the time to do it but I am now curious what the DS versions are like. There were certainly some good licensed games on the GBA and DS, occasionally even when the home console versions were not so hot, but they tended to filter up to my awareness when they did.
That said if they are good games it could be nice, the big three of the zelda games and starfox seem to have been sorted (others reading the starfox then becoming the main tutorial on sorting this sort of thing
https://web.archive.org/web/20110604163902/http://crackerscrap.com/docs/sfchacktut.html
That leaves the first DS castlevania seals and ice (the latter I can ignore and the former would probably be better served by forcing a win state) in the things truly let down by (bad) touchscreen stakes.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: April 24, 2017, 07:11:06 pm »
Might want to be a bit more specific there. From context and a bit of knowledge you probably want the DS versions looked at, there are however wii and IOS versions and a few other mobile versions. Not to mention you say that game to most people and they will likely think of the home console or PC versions (they were the ones with all the reviews, advertising...).

I am unlikely to be able to find the time to do it but I am now curious what the DS versions are like. There were certainly some good licensed games on the GBA and DS, occasionally even when the home console versions were not so hot, but they tended to filter up to my awareness when they did.
That said if they are good games it could be nice, the big three of the zelda games and starfox seem to have been sorted (others reading the starfox then becoming the main tutorial on sorting this sort of thing
https://web.archive.org/web/20110604163902/http://crackerscrap.com/docs/sfchacktut.html
That leaves the first DS castlevania seals and ice (the latter I can ignore and the former would probably be better served by forcing a win state) in the things truly let down by (bad) touchscreen stakes.
My bad. Well, it IS the DS versions, the first one is kinda like the PSP and PS2 releases but with touchscreen being used for ALL actions instead of buttons, and with a "force" minigame for QTE that requires you to drag "the force" into a void, which is NIGH IMPOSSIBLE at endgame.

The second one is a sidescrolling game and the interactions are simpler, but still abuses touchscreen for a variety of actions, some of which makes sense (like pulling/pushing something), but most do not...

TonyBiH

• View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: April 25, 2017, 04:41:51 am »
I was thinking is it possible to use Gun-Dec (Vice: Project Doom) levels for "Tokkyuu Shirei - Solbrain 2" with new superhero SolBraver, SolJeanne, SolDozer or Knight Fire http://metalheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Tokkyuu_Shirei_Solbrain:police:
I like this game so much, it is heavy I know but it deserves more attention. Possible game should keep all mechanic of Tokkyuu Shirei - Solbrain (not Gun-Dec-Vice: Project Doom) and I think is passable with adds of few fences and with Solbraver (Shatterhand) have power up helper that can make him fly above. I don't know is this is possible. There are also few games that are similar https://www.giantbomb.com/shatterhand/3030-18628/similar-games/  :beer: Just idea so if someone could find this useful why not.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: April 25, 2017, 06:55:38 am »
Yeah ever since I heard the remastered tracks for the entire Zero Series (Albums like Physis, and such) that I was baffled that the Zero Series never got a third official update for the 3DS (which would be perfect support for those higher quality songs). Seeing how Capcom is done with the entire series, I hope one day someone out there will incorporate those tracks.

There is also drama voice sets, and would be a good addition if done correctly. Personally I see the Zero Collection to be the perfect candidate to make some kind of attempt at it.

The drama tracks in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETVPH0qDKLY

Another perfect example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDs_sXLC5cQ
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:11:31 am by Kallisto »

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: April 25, 2017, 12:21:35 pm »
Zelda Origins

· The Legend of Zelda
· Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Mega Man: The Wily Wars

· Mega Man
· Mega Man 2
· Mega Man 3

Super Mario All-Stars: Vol. 2

· Donkey Kong
· Dr. Mario
· Mario is Missing
· Mario's Time Machine
· Mario and Yoshi

NES Racing Collection

· Rad Racer
· Marble Madness
· Excite Bike
· Days of Thunder
· Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge

The first three I would love to see done.  I'm seriously considering doing Zelda Origins.  I'd simply have to convert Zelda II to MMC5, and then I could do it.

Out of curiosity, which ones would you like to see?  Or, do you have your own compilation?  Post about it here! :)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: April 25, 2017, 10:55:56 pm »
I'm not clear on what the point of these is, exactly.  In most situations where you can load up a ROM, it's easy enough just to have multiple ROMs, isn't it?  I guess you could stick them on a repro cart, but those are relatively costly and difficult to make.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: April 25, 2017, 11:41:48 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing a NES version of Wily Wars including if you add Oil Man & Time Man to MM1, add kuja killer's improvement hack to MM3 and after you beat all three games you'll unlock a NES version of the Wily Tower.