News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1232827 times)

Kallisto

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3580 on: January 24, 2017, 03:48:49 pm »
Not sure if it is possible, but cleaning up the graphics in Shining the Holy Ark would be neat.

mreddie

• View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: January 24, 2017, 07:34:00 pm »
Has anyone seen a modified version of Nintendo Tennis where 1P can play 2P rather than just cooperative doubles.  Nintendo has the VS Tennis Arcade version that does this, but I want it in the NES rom.  Has anyone seen something like this around?

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3582 on: January 24, 2017, 11:06:19 pm »
Here's two ideas that just popped in my head...

1. A Zelda 1 hack with a Binding of Isaac twist, I would love to play an Isaac 8bit game.

2. TMNT 2 The Arcade Game voice fix, this would add the voice of the bosses that get hit and add it into the NES game, to make it more authentic.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: January 25, 2017, 11:49:59 am »
Witch Hair-rier

Hack one of the Space Harrier Ports to add Bayonetta as the main character and modify the enemies, level designs and attack patterns to match.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: January 26, 2017, 02:50:20 pm »
I've sent a review, but it doesn't hurt to say that someone could get Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix for PSP and give it the same treatment Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+ for the PS2 received: Getting content from II.5 and using it to make a complete translation. TruthKey's translation is sort of incomplete, as pieces of the Journal were unable to be added due to space or outright ignored.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: January 26, 2017, 04:25:28 pm »
I remember playing (I think) Bram Stroker's Dracula and wishing for the life of me that someone would do a graphics hack to make it resemble a Castlevania game, or at least change up the main character to swing a whip instead of a cane.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Bonk

• View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: January 27, 2017, 12:29:14 am »
Dig through the audio code for War of The Lions on PSP to see where TOSE fucked up the audio emulation for FFT on PSP and fix it.
The audio sounds horrible compared to how it's supposed to sound on the PS1 and even the mobile ports got it right.

The reverb is missing, and the sound resampling sounds wrong. (Lower rate than it should be perhaps).

I made a comparison a few years ago with my DAW. I was able to pipe the audio from the PSP in, in real time and process it to add the reverb back. But the sound samples , still sounding harsher than they should stand out.

First is PSP untouched, second is with reverb. Last is PS1/Ios/AND
https://www.mediafire.com/?wfmi8q9lbq3m9ab

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: January 28, 2017, 03:01:46 am »
The Amazing Spider-Man vs. the Kingpin (Sega CD): A hack that would increase the speed of Spider-Man's walking, he walks pretty slow in this game.

Another hack I want to see for this game is one that would change Dr. Octopus's sprites for both ingame and the cutscenes to the one he's in his white suit from the screenshot from the back of the cover of the game's case. It looks like it's from a early build of the game, looks a lot better than his final sprites.

Here's the image:

Earthworm Jim: Special Edition (Sega CD): A hack that would polish the graphics up a bit to make the game look closer to its PC counterpart.

Bangai-O (Sega Dreamcast): A hack that would restore all the stuff that got censored back to the game and it would also make it compatible with the VGA output as well: https://tcrf.net/Bangai-O#Regional_Differences

Mega Man Powered Up (Sony PSP): A hack that would restore Oil Man's original colors and it would also replace the English voice track with the Japanese one as well.

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (Sony PSP): A hack that would do all this to it:

Restore the missing "DOWN" text that appears when you win a round.
Change the stage name "Creator's Fetus" back to "Fetus of God".
Have Jon Talbain, Rikuo and Sasquatch appear more in the Arcade Mode.
Change the colors of the background stages back to their original colors.
Have the CPU choose the default colors of all the characters instead of the alternate ones.
Restore the unused Dark Jon Talbain character back to the game: https://tcrf.net/Darkstalkers_Chronicle:_The_Chaos_Tower
Add Dee to this game.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:08:44 pm by SCD »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: January 28, 2017, 04:43:14 pm »
So, I had an idea for NES.... a Remake or Demake or Port of PC-98 Touhou games for NES/Famicom.

FreightMan71

• View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: January 28, 2017, 07:29:04 pm »
Hmm... 180 pages long, so not sure if some of these ideas/requests were already made, but I will do so anyways because, well, why not...shot in the dark they will happen anytime soon, but ya never know till ya ask, right? Right.

1--Master of Monsters (Sega Genesis / Mega Drive).
A damned fun strategy type game that had LOTS of issues with computer AI, monster strengths and weaknesses, and terrain balance.
That all said, it was still addictive as hell.
Wish someone could go in create a few new maps, modify computer AI so that it does more than just 'try to tie', and tweak game parameters so monsters/terrain/strengths n weaknesses made a bit more sense...(Example: Mind spells causing golems to lose HP....duh, Golems are MINDLESS...big, slow, strong, plodding mindless creatures...mental spells should have little to no effect!)

Either a complete hack of this game or a simple adding of new levels would be fine for now.

2--Sonic Spinball (Sega Genesis / Mega Drive).
Fantastic, and IMO, underrated pinball game, that could perhaps use a nice change of scenery in the form of a couple new tables.
Either tables added on to the existing ones, tables REPLACING the existing ones, or at least, tables that use the same graphics/size as the originals, but arranged differently.
Not many people paid attention to this game when it was released (maybe expecting it to be like the platformers), but played for what it is (a sonic themed pinball machine), it plays great!  But I tire of the same tables after all these years.

3-- Super Double Dragon / Return of Double Dragon (SNES / Super Famicom).
Maybe someone can go in there and add some variety to the enemy characters? Maybe for every palette swapped bad guy, he/she gains new fighting moves or AI routines.
And while they are at it, is there NO WAY to maybe fix that "bounciness" when bodies hit the ground and the accompanying slowdown?  Modded for real hardware, maybe this is impossible, but how about for emulator use?

Also, how about some added moves for our hero double dragons? This might require expanding the ROM since it means adding things that weren't already on the ROM, but I've seen this sort of thing done with other ROMS, why not this one?

4-- Super Punch Out (SNES / Super Famicom)
Rework the enemy boxer AI so those of us who have beaten this thing to death (because we know all the patterns) can find something new and fresh to play once again.
Maybe add in some boxers from past Punch Out games, but if this is too much to ask, at least the aforementioned AI reworking would make me and other Punch Out fanatics very happy!

5-- Sim Ant (Super NES / Super Famicom)
Yes, THOSE ants!
Great console conversion of the old DOS/Win 98 game.
How about some new scenarios, different hazards thrown in, and some more variety on ant AI as well?

6-- Solomon's Key (NES / Famicom / Sega Master System)
New boards with re-arranged puzzles to solve all the way through would make this game sweeter.
One of my favorites since I was a teen.

50 levels, but I would say maybe the first 30 have become way too easy for someone like me who has played it to death...the remaining levels aren't so much hard to 'figure out', but more like the enemy placement makes them difficult.

Some new levels that we need to solve (along with similar difficult enemies) would definitely breathe new life into this game.

And yea, I know most people are aware this game came out for the NES, there IS a version for the Master System that plays very similar (slightly stiffer controls, but otherwise about the same)...perhaps the SMS version would be easier to crack?

Thanks for hearing me out, guys n gals.  :)

WebSlinger

• View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: January 28, 2017, 11:14:23 pm »
The METAL GEAR games for the MSX system...   I've seen many hacks where they rewrite the programming in a game to make a whole new  well,  game! 
Why not get the MSX roms to work as an NES rom.  I know it's more complicated than it sounds. Change the mappers, the button presses, ect...   OMG the sound bytes.   But that would kick ass though.  Then REPRO these babies!!   ;D

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3591 on: January 29, 2017, 03:45:44 pm »
That awful Rockman 5 has potential to be a great DWD hack,  here's the changes that can be made...

1. Disable the intro screen and go straight to the title screen.
2. Disable the ending with Darkwing falling off his motorcycle and go back to the title screen.
3. Disable the crouching and blocking.
4. Fix Megan Man's palette.
5. Change the text and font.
6. Redesign the levels.
7. Add Mega Man's life bar.
8. Disable the cut scene where the game shows your high score and go back to the stage select screen.

The title screen can be called "Rockman 5 Reloaded"

What do you all think? 🔫💣🔪🚬

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: January 30, 2017, 01:34:56 pm »
I wonder how hard it would be to add diagonal movement to the overhead levels of Blaster Master: Enemy Below...

I had the original NES game as a kid and loved it, so I nabbed the sequel from the 3DS e-shop. I'm digging it so far, but why they would restrict movement on a newer game to 4 directions is a head scratcher...

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: February 05, 2017, 11:28:11 pm »
Between the NES ports of Fantasy Zone (a Nintendo port of a Sega game pre-2001... isn't that weird?), the Sunsoft version is more polished, but the Tengen/Pixel one has better music. An idea I had to create the "definitive" NES version of Fantasy Zone was to port the music from the Tengen version into the Sunsoft one.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3594 on: February 06, 2017, 07:50:07 am »
Earthbound, upgraded with an MSU-1 chip.

Here are some good songs to utilize, if you can get permission (or if the owners don't reply to any request to use them):

The title screen (Everything afterwards is kinda lame, though.)

Onett, Twoson, Threed (post-zombies), and Fourside

Paula's theme

Battle Against a Machine

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: February 06, 2017, 10:04:41 am »
I'd like to see Kirby Super Star get the MSU-1 treatment. However, rather than new music, I'd like to see the FMV cutscenes from KSS Ultra be put into the game instead.

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #3596 on: February 06, 2017, 10:08:57 am »
I'd like to see Kirby Super Star get the MSU-1 treatment. However, rather than new music, I'd like to see the FMV cutscenes from KSS Ultra be put into the game instead.

I've been playing this for the first time as my son discovers video games, and wonder if hacking the entirety of the original Kirby's Dreamland into the thing would be possible (as opposed to the shortened remake that it already contains).

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: February 06, 2017, 03:08:03 pm »
Lot of popular snes games out there have a full or almost complete fan remix soundtracks by various artists, but for some other less popular games that none exist, but a few Japanese exclusives did have arrange soundtracks out there.

So far I think at least of half of the most popular snes games now have MSU-1 patches, but personally I hope one day someone will do a patch for DQI+II. Another game series to note that would benefit would be the Breath of Fire series, but the only issue is that not all of it's music is remixed (or least to my knowledge).

Trisma

• View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: February 09, 2017, 08:26:49 am »
StarTropics (NES)
Good game that I think would play much better without the movement delay from turning around. So that's my request, a hack or code that removes it.

I just played this game for the first time and I had the exact same idea. So I hacked the rom myself and uploaded it here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3307/

Enjoy!

Poppler

• View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:22 am »
I'd like to see a patch for Dynamite Headdy (US version) for the Mega Drive that restores the difficulty balance of the original japanese version.
There's already a translation patch for the japanese release, but I prefer the changes they did for the overseas version, specially things like the spotlight lifebar being more clear or some others graphical changes of the enemies. Also the stage names are more memorable to me in the translation ("Twin Freaks", "Stair Wars", etc).