News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2347783 times)

SylentEcho

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3200 on: September 05, 2016, 07:29:17 am »
Somebody needs to mod WCW Wrestling for the NES with a late 90's WCW roster. That'll be the bomb!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: September 05, 2016, 01:34:20 pm »
I'd love to see a hack of one of the Mortal Kombat games that adds Doomguy from Doom to the roster, with fatalities based on the ones seen in Brutal Doom/Project Brutality.  :D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: September 05, 2016, 02:15:56 pm »
I'd love to see a hack of one of the Mortal Kombat games that adds Doomguy from Doom to the roster, with fatalities based on the ones seen in Brutal Doom/Project Brutality.  :D
Even more fitting for this would be the characters in the Demonsteele mod.  They'd fit in MK like a glove.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: September 06, 2016, 08:50:53 am »
Isn't about time to make a compilation list of all the ideas listed on here? It would be good to have, and use a Check System to see which has been done, and not done.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: September 06, 2016, 12:53:58 pm »
I will spare the site code bothering types the hassle.

Ideas
Lots
Number done
None
Number as yet undone
Lots

Keeps itself updated too, and because I am super cool hacker type it also works if you decide to pick an arbitrary point in the thread past about page 3.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: September 06, 2016, 05:13:05 pm »
Hey, I think ONE of those ideas might have been done. Somewhere in there. ;)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: September 06, 2016, 10:00:10 pm »
I will spare the site code bothering types the hassle.

Ideas
Lots
Number done
None
Number as yet undone
Lots

Keeps itself updated too, and because I am super cool hacker type it also works if you decide to pick an arbitrary point in the thread past about page 3.

That's quite rude. Even if it reminds me of why I've stopped mentioning ideas here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: September 06, 2016, 10:31:34 pm »
Hey, I think ONE of those ideas might have been done. Somewhere in there. ;)
I fulfilled the FFIX Thunder Slash request (though it's more of a tutorial).  There's also the SMAS title screen hack.

I dunno about cataloging them though.  Some are impossible or near such to be done correctly via hacking, like the Pokemon all regions thing due to balance.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:37:46 pm by Chronosplit »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: September 07, 2016, 03:34:36 am »
Heh, the only ones I had seen "done" up to now were ones that were already done, maybe just with odd names or in cheat form.

Also if that was rude then I might have to revisit my approach to the world.

It might also be worth considering the value of ideas though. In regular game development ideas are worth bugger all, in business same, normal coding it gets called theory coding and is not good and so on. Prototypes, small scale examples that need to be worked up and things otherwise in need of refinement are a different matter entirely,
If you were under the impression this was anything other than a dumping ground/outlet to prevent clutter in the forum proper then I am not sure where that came from.
I visit here to give people hope it might be done to get game suggestions, maybe help people run the numbers/consider game theory and game balance, suggest how I would approach something or if there is a way more in line with their skills then how they might set about hacking it for themselves, laugh at the Mary Sue patch requests, or point them at existing projects and patches that aim to do or are doing what they want.

Anybody that plays, watches, reads... anything should be thinking what they would have done differently as the author/creator/director/cinematographer/artist... or character within the work.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: September 08, 2016, 03:34:52 am »
I would like to see a hack for the Super NES version of Blackthorne that would restore the missing blood and gore effects of the PC version back to it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:17:07 am by SCD »

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: September 08, 2016, 09:10:32 am »
Isn't about time to make a compilation list of all the ideas listed on here? It would be good to have, and use a Check System to see which has been done, and not done.

Thats actually a quite good idea.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: September 08, 2016, 03:13:37 pm »
1) I'd love to play through a Simpsons-themed hack of a beat-em-up, like Golden Axe or one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games.

2) Would be cool to see someone make a Mario hack using Sonic 3 & Knuckles as a base.  Picture SMW's Mario hauling ass at mach speed through Mushroom Kingdom, The Mario Lands, etc. Robotnik becomes bowser (since for some reason Bowser has mechs and shit in the newer Mario games anyway).
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: September 08, 2016, 08:01:41 pm »
Thats actually a quite good idea.

If it is to be done, I think it should be updated every 20 pages at least, and whenever a request is fulfilled.

Also it should be divided by what game this hack is for (for cleanliness).

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: September 08, 2016, 10:22:29 pm »
whenever a request is fulfilled.
People never get it, huh...

This thread is not for requests. It's just to keep certain posters away from the rest of the forums where productive things happen.
There has to be a better life.

TonyBiH

• View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: September 09, 2016, 10:17:37 am »
Ok mz, so you can look that way also but when someone is willing to make something that he can and wanna to make people happy why not. No one is born as a full member nor the other members or users are less valuable. Some of us have been here for a long time but have not dared to activate or to offer their contribution to the community. Of course i don't wanna to disturb or meddle in the work of professionals. Forum is for discussion. Everything is voluntary and under the rules of the forum. No one is forcing anyone.  :thumbsup:

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #3215 on: September 09, 2016, 10:45:26 am »
The main issue is that every 30 pages or so, people get the misconception that this thread is a hack request thread, not an idea dumping ground. The latter has its benefits. It's fun to peruse, occasionally discuss the hypothetical situations of a goal could be achieved, etc. Once in a blue moon, someone will take an idea from the thread and run with it.

The problem with the former is that it encourages people to make requests, which is clearly against the Rules of Thumbs section of the forum rules:

It is never a good idea to request someone else do work for you. That includes asking for someone to make a utility, do a translation, write a document etc.

This becomes particularly annoying when it leaves posters entitled enough to repost asking why no one's fulfilled their "request."

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: September 09, 2016, 02:01:33 pm »
I don't think anyone here wants to force anyone to do requests, it is just a idea for cleanliness sake.

Though I hope this whole thread's purpose was not to actually jumble up supposedly worthless people like myself apparently, I don't think would appreciate that very much, and neither would other people.

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: September 09, 2016, 06:24:14 pm »
I for one don't see this thread as a request thread, if any of the ideas here catch the eye of hacker and make it to a fullfledged romhack, it's a bonus.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: September 09, 2016, 06:56:36 pm »
Okay, this is a funny idea: Pokemon + Warriors Orochi (Samurai Warriors + Dynasty Warriors + Warriors Orochi characters). A pokeball replacement could be a folded up parchment with a seal containing a single kanji "契" (Contract). I wonder who else could replace who.

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: September 09, 2016, 07:28:08 pm »
I will do it for $8000, you can pay me half now and the other half when it is finished.

Hahaha SYKE! Here's a free reality check for you though: nobody is ever going to make your hack.