News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2344717 times)

Kallisto

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3160 on: August 30, 2016, 01:19:01 am »
So I was thinking of something goofy, but why not make a RHN-town with the forum users in a random game most of RHN likes?

FF6 maybe? Chrono Trigger?

Be a fun random thing to do to get away from the mundane stuff.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:23:17 pm by Kallisto »

aterraformer

• View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: August 30, 2016, 03:24:45 am »
A Rockman & Forte hack where Forte's dash is mapped to the L button.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3162 on: August 30, 2016, 10:05:00 pm »
How about a hack of Conker: Live and Reloaded? Put The Great Mighty Poo uncensored song in the game, since this version cut somma the words out. :D

Uncensored Version...

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: August 31, 2016, 08:14:10 am »
As long as a lot of good things are happening to Super Mario All-Stars, can we un-derp the ending of Super Mario Bros. 2 in that collection?

The ending has Birdo and Ostro reversed, and Clawgrip is referred to as "Clawglip".  That broke my heart in 1993 that nobody in the Nintendo Treehouse fixed that.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: August 31, 2016, 12:55:01 pm »
How about a hack of Conker: Live and Reloaded? Put The Great Mighty Poo uncensored song in the game, since this version cut somma the words out. :D

Uncensored Version...

I wouldn't mind that, but I'd also like some of the dialogue uncensored, save for the F word, put back in as well since the N64 sound clips have the original dialogue there (at least to some parts of the main game anyway).

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3165 on: August 31, 2016, 01:49:19 pm »
I wouldn't mind that, but I'd also like some of the dialogue uncensored, save for the F word, put back in as well since the N64 sound clips have the original dialogue there (at least to some parts of the main game anyway).

Hell yeah, that'll be cool too. :beer:

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: August 31, 2016, 02:44:21 pm »
Oh man, Conker  L&R would be WAY better with the N64 dialogue audio. It always surprised me that the Xbox version was more censored than the N64 original.

I've also always wondered if the original game's multiplayer modes were still tucked away somewhere in the data for L&R. I really, REALLY missed the old multiplayer modes back when I played L&R.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: September 01, 2016, 10:48:42 am »
I would like to see a hack that would let you use the GameCube controller in all three games of Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Nintendo Wii.

I also would like to see a hack for the GameCube version of Resident Evil 4 that would add Separate Ways, the new costumes and the laser gun from the newer ports of this game to that port as well.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:11:49 pm by SCD »

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3168 on: September 01, 2016, 11:01:34 am »
Megaten games with everything line-maze.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: September 01, 2016, 09:02:51 pm »
A hack for Metroid Prime: Federation Force which reduces the head size of the character models to have proper body proportions.
A simple resizing of the head shall be enough, the rest of the body seems to be okay, it's just the Bubble-heads that seem off.

That would make the game decent enough for my eyes to be considered a serious Metroid Prime spin off and some some childish crap with that lame design for the characters.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: September 01, 2016, 09:31:52 pm »
^Don't you think is a little early for a hack like that? Jus' sayin'.

renegade74

• View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: September 01, 2016, 10:43:35 pm »
Hi all,

Could really use some help with altering NES Bio Miracle Baby Upa just a bit as I've see other hacked games done before.

On the positive side, the game play stays basically the same.

I would however like to change the main character's appearance and add a few more sprites for the main character to alternate forms at the beginning of a few different levels.

The main project is probably that I would need help switching the levels around.

I've been told by a hacker that the availability of some sort of documented data, an advanced editor level download can likely help with this.

I also would like to add screen shots of the game (.jpgs) to each of the black screens that introduce the levels.

...Also need a good music programmer who can take my mp3s to re-record in whatever way necessary to add my music to the game. I can cut down the duration of songs as far as needed.

Would be thankful for any assistance with finding the advanced download or a music programmer, or just general advice as pertains to my project.

Was thinking of maybe buying one of the CD-roms of this game available on eBay, although they are Japan/Famicom versions apparently.....I also have the original .nes file & Tile Layer Pro downloaded, but am not finding it easy and would prefer working with an experienced programmer....anyway, help would be most appreciated! Thanks

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: September 01, 2016, 11:50:46 pm »
If this is your project, you probably should tone down your expectations.  Take small bites -- one at a time.  Start with something small, like a simple graphics hack.

TLP should be enough to make some simple graphical changes to the main character... so start with that.  Once you get the character looking the way you want, move on to something else.  Don't try to do all this at once.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: September 02, 2016, 09:38:03 am »
re:jpgs

tile layer pro can import BMP, and preferably indexed to 4 color.

graphic edits are the easiest kind of hack. you will also probably want to edit palettes. FCEUX had debugging tools (PPU VIEWER) that will help you locate the addresses in the ROM of the palettes.

re:mp3 / music

this will probably be the hardest part, and requires advanced knowledge of 6502 asm programming. The NES doesn't play music files...a programmer had to program a music engine, which is specific to each game, to tell a wave form generator to play a specific frequency at a specific volume for a specific note. Even the SNES couldn't play music files.

re: CD-roms
FDS is a kind of floppy drive that was compatible with the japanese famicom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Computer_Disk_System

re:level edits.

requires very careful investigation of the ROM and editing data with hex editor. You can run FCEUX's Code/Data logger while the Hex Editor tool is open. Start logging just before a level is loaded, and turn off logging when the level appears. It will color code data that was accessed during this loading. Using save states, you can experiment by changing some data, reload the save state (to just before the level loaded) and see if it loaded differently. No? edit some different data, reload save state. Repeat until you identify the data for that level.

It's a long and painstaking process. Expect 6+ months of work.

(nit pick note, the game translates (I believe) to Bio Miracle - I'm Upa)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:44:20 am by dougeff »
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: September 02, 2016, 12:23:04 pm »
Might be a bit early for a total conversion or something, though I would like to see that, and the thing would not be able to be hosted here once it was done but never too early for that sort of thing.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: September 02, 2016, 01:14:19 pm »
^Don't you think is a little early for a hack like that? Jus' sayin'.

If we have a Bust May Mod for ORAS, why not a reduced heads mod for Federation Force? :P

renegade74

• View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: September 02, 2016, 02:49:28 pm »
Hi, and thanks for the info....its good if TLP can import .bmp files. I just wouldn't know how to add them into the correct screens. I'm still an inexperienced soul. Would love to work with a good TLP and hex editor guy. Although, I've saved notes from what you've said.

Will have to seek out the music programmer with 6502 asm programming knowledge presumably on a separate mission.

Lol - the translation is good by me...I have no desire to use the existing title, just communicate it to others ;)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: September 02, 2016, 03:12:14 pm »
Will have to seek out the music programmer with 6502 asm programming knowledge presumably on a separate mission.

I have experience deciphering NES music engines.  I can take a peek at this today and let you know my findings.

I won't input any songs for you, but hopefully I'll get enough information so you'll be able to input them yourself.

EDIT:

To do anything with this, you'll need a hex editor.  You can use the built-in hex editor in FCEUX, or you can use a separate program like HxD.

What I found so far:

Songs tables start at offset 0x16CBD.  Each song has 12 bytes in this table.  The first song has these bytes:

Code: [Select]
30 5B 8D   (Pulse 0)
01 8E A6   (Pulse 1)
02 8E 90   (Triangle)
03 5E 91   (Percussion)

The first byte in these groupings indicate which audio channel to initialize.  I imagine this is more useful for sound effects --- for music tracks, just leave them as they are.

The following 2 bytes are the pointer to the score (music) data.  Add 0xE010 to get the ROM offset from the pointer.  Example:  Pulse 0 has "5B 8D", so it's music data starts at $8D5B + 0xE010 = 0x16D6B

Pulse and Triangle channels seem to playback their score as expected on their designated channel.  Whereas the percussion seems to impact Noise and DMC, as well as being able to trigger sound effect playback as part of the music (in the first level music, an alarm clock sound effect plays on Pulse 0 in the song's intro, but it plays independently of Pulse 0's score -- so I assume it's triggered by the percussion score).

Score data is a sequence of notes with the occasional command code slipped in to do effects.  Pulse and Triangle likely have a very different set of commands from percussion.

For pulse & tri, codes are below.  Not again percussion is probably very different and I haven't looked at it yet:

- $0x - $Bx = C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, etc ... with 'x' denoting the note length.
    Example, '03' plays a C tone with a length of 3.   '16' plays a C# tone with a length of 6 (twice as long).
    A length of 0 is treated as a length of $10

- $Cx = rest (play no tone) for a length of 'x'

- $D0 through $FF are command codes, but I haven't deciphered any of them yet.

Example... Pulse 0 starts with the below score data:

Code: [Select]
D1 B3 81 00 E2    (a bunch of setup commands, probably setting up tempo, octave, and envelope pattern)
91   (first audible note)
A1
B5
D7 B6 83 A8 F1   (more commands, probably changing envelope pattern and duty cycle)
B1   (same note, intercut with rests)
C1
B1
C1
B1
C1
B1
B1
C7   (long rest, the alarm clock sound plays during this rest)
E9 71 E9 30 E2   (more commands)
42   (etc)

That's all I have so far.

The Konami music driver is pretty complicated because it has support for a lot of weird effects.  It'd be a lot of work to decipher it all, and before I do anymore work, I'd want to know if this is useful to you at all, or if this is just mumbo-jumbo that you're not going to care about.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:11:09 pm by Disch »

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: September 02, 2016, 08:01:18 pm »

If we have a Bust May Mod for ORAS, why not a reduced heads mod for Federation Force? :P

WHOA. Just WHOA.

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: September 02, 2016, 09:05:11 pm »
FUN POKEMON FACTS: WOW SHE'S NOT EVEN 18 DISGUSTING
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits