News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2167056 times)

John Enigma

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2980 on: July 07, 2016, 10:48:28 pm »
A few months ago, when I was looking for existing 3D platformers for the Sega Saturn, I found out that the classic 2D platformer Castlevania - Symphony of the Night had a Saturn version that released only in Japan. And not only that, but from the looks of it, it looks like nobody has translated it, despite the fact that is the same Symphony of the Night for the PS/PSOne/PSX. Only a bit more updated.

Why did I italicized the word "updated"? Because aside from the new events, stages, powerups, and playable characters, it was somehow filled with some bugs. Also, it appeared that some stages were cut down for reasons unknown. < Probably the size of the game.

So, I wish that somebody (or some people) would not just translate the game, but also bugfix the game, and add whatever stage sections, or stages per se, were cut down (if possible).

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: July 08, 2016, 01:09:40 am »
Someone has already tried that.
Obviously it didn't work out. You could use the forum search if you want to find out about it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: July 08, 2016, 01:55:38 am »
I'd like to give the Genesis version of "Raiden" a facelift. It's a very good port in terms of content and gameplay, even featuring an extra stage, but the graphics look poor and unoptimized, e.g. stage 2 wastes 3 blue tones on a roof you barely see, but uses only one blue tone for water, which you see almost all the time. A simple color edit can't fix stuff like this, the artwork needs to be redrawn.

I've done large scale graphic edits before (Twin Cobra, Truxton, Splatterhouse 2) , figured out how the pointer system works, currently working on two more games with the same method, but this one uses an undocumented compression scheme. Anybody willing to have a look at the compression?

I find this interesting and may be able to help you. Unfortunately I have absolutely no time for that right now and for some months to come. If you're still interested and noone proposed help until then, PM me every 6 months :)

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #2983 on: July 08, 2016, 05:22:17 pm »

Names are displayed with sprites, couldn't track them down to change them.
Also, character sprites are horizontally mirrored, so they can't do justice to the distinctive asymmetrical hairstyles of Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, or Chris Hemsworth.

That looks pretty cool, M-Tee. I'll be lookin' forward to playing it when it's done. :thumbsup:

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: July 09, 2016, 07:50:04 am »
How about a hack that finishes the unreleased SNES game "The Shadow"
Razorfist wants the SNES game to be hacked to be perfected
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ihwNrvHxY (skip to 26:19)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: July 09, 2016, 08:56:01 am »
I would like to see hacks for the Sega Saturn versions of Lunar: Silver Star Story, Lunar: Eternal Blue and Silhouette Mirage that would give them their English translations that Working Designs made for their PSX counterparts.

I would like to see a hack for the Sega CD version of Popful Mail that would tone down the difficulty to make it more like the Japanese version.

I would like to see a hack for Shantae that would fixed all the issues it has to make it a better game including make it more like the later games.

I would like to see a hack for the PSX version of Resident Evil that would add all the exclusive Sega Saturn content to it.

I would like to see a hack for the PSX version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night that would do all to it:
Replace the voice tracks with the ones from the PSP version.
Add all the exclusive Sega Saturn content.
Give Dracula his actual Rondo of Blood sprites for his first and second forms in the Bloodlines stage:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:24:18 am by SCD »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: July 09, 2016, 09:04:41 am »
I would like to see a hack for Shantae that would fixed all the issues it has to make it a better game including make it more like the later games.

Such as?

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: July 09, 2016, 09:11:26 am »
Such as?

Get rid of the 1-UP life system, this game didn't really need it in the first place. You should always have infinite lives like you do in the later games. Including tone down the difficulty and make it easier to transform into other creatures as well.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:41:43 am by SCD »

Jareth247

• View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: July 09, 2016, 01:36:18 pm »
I'd like to see a handful of Genesis/Mega Drive games altered to where if you play them on a console with a Sega CD/Mega CD, you can have Redbook audio with a CD. I know there's a hack of Sonic 1 that does this, and Pier Solar made use of this feature, but I'd love to see more Genesis/Mega Drive games with that feature. Aside from games based on musical acts, like Moonwalker and Revolution X, I could imagine various games that could do with Redbook audio.

Also, since one COULD change the music in a Sega CD game, I wish there was an application that could make it just a bit easier, such as:

• Loading up music files, changing their names and possibly converting them
  • Showing which tracks correspond to which stage or menu (like if Track 5 corresponds to the third level or if Track 13 is for the options menu, it'd tell you that
  • Show if the new playlist exceeds the possible combined runtime allocated, like if due to the data track you can only have 40 minutes of music and the playlist is 52 minutes, allow one to open the file in an appropo program like WavePad to trim the track

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: July 09, 2016, 01:43:40 pm »
Here's an idea. The game gear version of Battle toads is easier overall. Everything is slower and there's one feature that should be incorporated into other versions. In the vehicle stations you could take 3 hits before you lose a life. That would make the games alot more approachable.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: July 09, 2016, 10:44:30 pm »
As I come close to ending my Legend of Mana run (it is surprisingly harder than I remembered when I used the non-hardtype gameplay patch, even on normal mode), I briefly considered replaying Chrono Cross.  Then I remembered the godawful regular battle music.

If it was kosher, I would almost be willing to pay someone to just hack in a better battle theme.  It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to hear it a bajillion times during the course of the game, but it's sadly the most frequent track in the game...

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: July 09, 2016, 11:05:50 pm »
If it was kosher, I would almost be willing to pay someone to just hack in a better battle theme.  It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to hear it a bajillion times during the course of the game, but it's sadly the most frequent track in the game...

I'd love to see some hacks that disable the music but not the sound FX. I'd rather listen to my own music than to listen to the same turn-based RPG battle theme for the 2000th time.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: July 10, 2016, 12:45:56 am »
I would like to see hacks for the Sega Saturn versions of Lunar: Silver Star Story, Lunar: Eternal Blue and Silhouette Mirage that would give them their English translations that Working Designs made for their PSX counterparts.

I would like to see a hack for the Sega CD version of Popful Mail that would tone down the difficulty to make it more like the Japanese version.

I would like to see a hack for the PSX version of Resident Evil that would add all the exclusive Sega Saturn content to it.

I would like to see a hack for the PSX version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night that would do all to it:
Replace the voice tracks with the ones from the PSP version.
Add all the exclusive Sega Saturn content.
Give Dracula his actual Rondo of Blood sprites for his first and second forms in the Bloodlines stage:

Speaking of Rondo's Sprites,
I think it would be cool to see them in the Snes Dracula X, I was ruined when I originally expected to see Rondo's and got the Speedo Version..

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: July 10, 2016, 10:00:46 am »
I'd love to see some hacks that disable the music but not the sound FX. I'd rather listen to my own music than to listen to the same turn-based RPG battle theme for the 2000th time.

For CC, I'd be right with you.  Most RPG's at least give me something I can either enjoy the whole time or at least grows on me (Lunar 1 on the PSX is a good example of the latter for me)--I honestly cannot think of another game whose battle theme I despised from start to finish as much as CC's.

I'd be curious to know how difficult that would be to hack into a game though--it seems simple enough to just disable battle music (some games like BoF 2 have an in-game option to disable all music), but I may be wrong?

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: July 10, 2016, 10:25:48 am »
Speaking of Rondo's Sprites,
I think it would be cool to see them in the Snes Dracula X, I was ruined when I originally expected to see Rondo's and got the Speedo Version..
That would be cool to see those sprites in that version along with the Rondo of Blood sprites of Maria & Annette and restoring the red blood and the original holy cross super attack from the Japanese version.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: July 11, 2016, 08:06:57 pm »
I was checking out about Fatal Fury for the SNES, and I wonder why the hell only the second player can control characters that are not Terry, Andy or Joe. It would be good if someone made a hack that made them playable for player one in Versus Mode. I wouldn't bother with the Story Mode, however, as it follows the same formula as the first Art of Fighting.

Also, about the Genesis version... I know the Genesis has some serious hardware limitations, but taking out Hwa Jai and BILLY KANE (A CORE CHARACTER, DAMN IT) is a little too extreme. Can something be done about it?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2996 on: July 12, 2016, 08:12:19 am »
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - Improvement hack
-All cutscenes are skippable
-All dialogue can be sped up on a paragraph/text box basis
-No bomb requirement to enter Zora's domain
-FP targeting works more like walking and running; nudging=slow speed, fullt tilt=current speed
-The owl either appears as a travel aid in more places or you can call on it with for example Saria's song and pick from places you've visited to go to (kakariko, hyrule castle, lake hylia, fenced area outside gerudo valley, zora's fountain, outside lost woods, lon lon ranch)
-^OR Farore's Wind works outside of dungeons
-Faster block pushing/dragging
-Changed scaling of the skulltula rewards; 5=wallet 1, 10=stone of agony, 15=wallet 2, etc.
-The iron boots can be mapped to a c-button
-Low HP beeping stops after a few beeps
-Navi stops bothering you after reminding you of the next quest once
-Link's and Navi's voices don't trigger as often
-Less picky positioning requirements for interacting with ladders, opening chests, talking to NPCs etc.
-The "knocked down" animation is a bit faster
-Targeting an enemy makes link pull out his sword (so you don't have to clumsily attack to pull it out before being able to jump attack)
-Tokens drop to the ground so you don't have to wait until you have the boomerang to get some of them (there might be situations where this could be bad though?)
-You can travel back in time before finishing the forest temple
-More zoomed in camera when diving
-Selling bugs gives you 25 rupees while selling normal poes gives you 40. This scales better difficulty-wise considering the ease of getting more bugs and selling them over and over in the market.
-Fixed hit detection when grabbing heart pieces with the boomerang so Link can't drop them in the water
-No invisible wall above the Gerudo fortress cell
-Getting caught in Gerudo's fortress doesn't immediately put you back in the cell; instead the guards near you turn into the swordwielding cell guards. Guards will also see you and transform if you shoot one of them with the bow.
-Wooden boxes can be cut with the sword
-To speed up farming you won't keep getting more of an item from pots etc. that you've already fully stocked, so at for example max rupees you'll only get other kinds of items.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:40:34 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: July 12, 2016, 09:17:29 am »
Those are really cool ideas.

Other stuff I want to see added to the game is once Aeroblast43o9 is done with his Project Beta Triforce hack is add his four new dungeons (DeepWood Shrine, Ice Temple, Light Temple and Wind Temple) to the game and add new enemies, bosses & music tracks to them and add new plot to the story as well.

I also want the game's memory space increase from 32mb to 64mb, add Expansion Pak compatibility to it and replace the Hyrule Field music track with the Termina Field music track as well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:25:20 am by SCD »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2998 on: July 12, 2016, 09:30:54 am »
Those are really cool ideas.

Other stuff I want to see added to the game is once Aeroblast43o9 is done with his Project Beta Triforce hack is add his four new dungeons (DeepWood Shrine, Ice Temple, Light Temple and Wind Temple) to the game and add new enemies, bosses & music tracks to them and add new plot to the story as well.

I also want the game's memory space increase from 32mb to 64mb, add Expansion Pak compatibility to it and replace the Hyrule Field music track with the Termina Field music track as well.

Cool, I didn't know about that hack! What would the expansion pak do, increase the framerate and texture quality or something more? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to N64, actually I'm beating OoT for the first time right now.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: July 12, 2016, 10:02:00 am »
Cool, I didn't know about that hack! What would the expansion pak do, increase the framerate and texture quality or something more? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to N64, actually I'm beating OoT for the first time right now.
You can check out the progress of his hack at this link: http://areoblast43o9.wix.com/projectbetatriforce

With the expansion pak you can add more enemies on screen like you can in Majora's Mask, but I like your ideas of increasing the framerate and texture quality so I would like to see those added to the game as well.

That's cool that you're trying out Ocarina of Time for the first time, it's a awesome game.

Another thing to add to the game is replace Navi's voice tracks with Tatl's voice tracks.