News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2167041 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2960 on: July 03, 2016, 04:33:57 pm »
I'd love to see some hacks that disable those dot filters I see in 9 out 10 Square titles. Most notably Dissidia Duodecim - idk why but those dots catch my attention waaaay too much. I'd rather see jaggedy polygons then having to look past a screen of dots.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

fusaru

• View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: July 04, 2016, 03:34:31 am »
I'd like to give the Genesis version of "Raiden" a facelift. It's a very good port in terms of content and gameplay, even featuring an extra stage, but the graphics look poor and unoptimized, e.g. stage 2 wastes 3 blue tones on a roof you barely see, but uses only one blue tone for water, which you see almost all the time. A simple color edit can't fix stuff like this, the artwork needs to be redrawn.

I've done large scale graphic edits before (Twin Cobra, Truxton, Splatterhouse 2) , figured out how the pointer system works, currently working on two more games with the same method, but this one uses an undocumented compression scheme. Anybody willing to have a look at the compression?
(MD hacks):
Complete --> see contributions page
Twin Hawk (arcade graphics), Toki

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: July 04, 2016, 12:21:50 pm »
Seriously? Wow, sounds like a good idea to do. Currently, I can only write what can come to mind on translating ideas (never knew how to put the text into the games itself) or just figure out what ideas could sound like good ideas. Like these ideas I got in mind and it's weird, but I think this could also help make a somewhat tribute to Alan Young: Scrooge in Quackshot and Donald in Ducktales. Although someone may need to make sprite mods of those two.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: July 05, 2016, 07:43:54 pm »
Here's another idea: an improvement of Street Fighter Alpha /ZERO 3 Upper for the GBA.

A 1P/2P switch like in SFA3MAX.

Relocate the color selection: I'm tired of pressing L+B to get the default color... Make the A button choose the A-ISM default, B the alternate one. L the X-ISM color, and R the V-ISM one. L+B and R+A can be their respective alts.

Change the command throw to its original(or as close as possible to it). I can make some combos with only HP, but in this version it recognizes it as a grab command.

Make a stage select in Training Mode: always I have to train in Evil Ryu's stage!?

Add the cutscenes and endings, as long they could fit as text only in the cartridge size.

July 05, 2016, 08:31:14 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hi, I played Final Fight One and Megaman & Bass for the GBA.
Here's my ideas.

FFO:
Color Restoration(like the SNES palette).
Sprite Editing(Restore Poison & Roxy, and get rid of Billy & Sid; Black Dug, Black Slash...).
Color Editing(Restore the default color of A-Cody to his original SFA3 A-ISM color, instead of the X-ISM one).
Sprite Size Editing(You saw Rolento's Sprite? He was HUGE, ripped from the Arcade graphics, instead of ripping him from SNES' Final Fight 2...).
Relocate the 2nd Bonus Stage to its original place(after Industrial Area, instead of after Bay Area).

MM&B:
Color Restoration.
Make Bass' dash command easier(Down+Jump, instead of Forwardx2).

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2910/

Well, I guess this is a starting point. Anyone can make the same to USA and EUR versions?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:31:14 pm by RealGaea »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: July 05, 2016, 09:31:44 pm »
The color hack is only half complete, Asaki still has to change the colors of all the characters.

Other stuff that should be done to this game are:

Give the first part of stage 4 its correct music track.

Give Slash his afro hair from the arcade version:

Restore the missing pain animation for Poison and Roxy from the arcade version:

Restore Jessica's uncensored intro sprite from the Japanese arcade version:

Restore the original enemy sprite that appears after you beat the first bonus stage, they changed it in the GBA version for some reason:

Restore the wooden entrance to the basement on stage 1 from the arcade version:

UPDATE: I changed the wooden entrance image with a different one because the original one got taken down for some reason.

Restore the word "Sexy" on the bathroom stalls on stage 5 from the arcade version:

I think is easier to hack the Japanese version because everything is there, the only thing to do is change the text to English.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:15:49 am by SCD »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: July 05, 2016, 09:55:32 pm »
Restore the wooden stairway to the basement from the arcade version:

Something tells me this isn't the image you meant to post.

blgmadresh0000

• View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: July 05, 2016, 10:46:13 pm »
it would be great if there were modern versions of the extra classic games in game and watch gallery 3 you know modern flagman judge

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: July 05, 2016, 10:55:47 pm »
Something tells me this isn't the image you meant to post.

That was the right image to post because it shows that in the arcade version the entrance to the basement is wooden while in the GBA version they just used the subway entrance for the stairway instead:

I should have said wooden entrance instead of wooden stairway, sorry about the confusion.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:29:29 am by SCD »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: July 05, 2016, 11:26:08 pm »
it would be great if there were modern versions of the extra classic games in game and watch gallery 3 you know modern flagman judge
While I wish it were possible to see a modern G&W Zelda and I wouldn't say it's impossible to do, it would be a lot of work.  You'd have to make the modern equivalents in the first place (most likely from scratch if you were going to do this right; there's a couple of examples to go on for a couple games in the GB line, but they'd have to be redone completely), ASM the heck out of the menus of either the museum or main game select to insert new choices, then probably hunt down a whole bunch of limiters and tables relating to all that plus more.

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: July 06, 2016, 12:50:17 am »
On the subject of Game & Watch Gallery, something I've been wanting to do but won't be able to until I can figure out at least learn coding and figure out graphics decompression techniques (possibly also learn assembly) is edit the modern versions of the Game & Watch Gallery games to replace the Mario characters with the Panel de Pon fairies. Turnabout is fair play!

Maybe it'd be easier to make as a fangame...

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: July 06, 2016, 02:18:18 am »
Someone was talking Final Fantasy III before,

What I would like to see is a TITLE SCREEN for Final Fantasy III! :crazy:

In fact how about all three Nes Games, It just completes them in my opinion.
The Super Nintendo games have awesome ones.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: July 06, 2016, 06:18:12 am »
Seeing as Mighty Gunvolt sprites have been ripped, how about a NES Mega Man hack featuring Azure Striker Gunvolt with custom bosses and weapons use an universal Energy Points system?

Also, how about a hack that replaces Zero with Gunvolt in Mega Man Zero? Luxcalibur could replace the Z-Saber and Voltaic Chains could replace the Chain Rod. As for other items, Shield Boomerang could be replaced by Copen's Shield, Recoil Rod by Viper's "buster" thingy, Triple Rod by Merak's "long punch". The Element Chips could be replaced by "Glaive Shards" that changes the elements of his attacks, Skills could be whole Glaives with a "Shadow" over it showing what the ability is like.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:54:21 am by Tsukiyomaru0 »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: July 06, 2016, 09:34:26 am »
Someone was talking Final Fantasy III before,

What I would like to see is a TITLE SCREEN for Final Fantasy III! :crazy:

In fact how about all three Nes Games, It just completes them in my opinion.
The Super Nintendo games have awesome ones.

Technically, it does have a title screen. It is just only seen during the introduction.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jareth247

• View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: July 06, 2016, 01:36:02 pm »
Seeing as Mighty Gunvolt sprites have been ripped, how about a NES Mega Man hack featuring Azure Striker Gunvolt with custom bosses and weapons use an universal Energy Points system?

Also, how about a hack that replaces Zero with Gunvolt in Mega Man Zero? Luxcalibur could replace the Z-Saber and Voltaic Chains could replace the Chain Rod. As for other items, Shield Boomerang could be replaced by Copen's Shield, Recoil Rod by Viper's "buster" thingy, Triple Rod by Merak's "long punch". The Element Chips could be replaced by "Glaive Shards" that changes the elements of his attacks, Skills could be whole Glaives with a "Shadow" over it showing what the ability is like.

YES!!!!!

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: July 06, 2016, 07:54:26 pm »
On the subject of Game & Watch Gallery, something I've been wanting to do but won't be able to until I can figure out at least learn coding and figure out graphics decompression techniques (possibly also learn assembly) is edit the modern versions of the Game & Watch Gallery games to replace the Mario characters with the Panel de Pon fairies. Turnabout is fair play!

Maybe it'd be easier to make as a fangame...
GBA homebrews exists?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: July 06, 2016, 08:11:34 pm »
GBA homebrews exists?
It was one of the bigger scenes back in it's day, due to how early things were figured out about the system.

Heck, Powder started on the GBA.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: July 06, 2016, 10:34:04 pm »
The color hack is only half complete, Asaki still has to change the colors of all the characters.

Other stuff that should be done to this game are:

Give the first part of stage 4 its correct music track.

Give Slash his afro hair from the arcade version:

Restore the missing pain animation for Poison and Roxy from the arcade version:

Restore Jessica's uncensored intro sprite from the Japanese arcade version:

Restore the original enemy sprite that appears after you beat the first bonus stage, they changed it in the GBA version for some reason:

Restore the wooden entrance to the basement on stage 1 from the arcade version:

UPDATE: I changed the wooden entrance image with a different one because the original one got taken down for some reason.

Restore the word "Sexy" on the bathroom stalls on stage 5 from the arcade version:

I think is easier to hack the Japanese version because everything is there, the only thing to do is change the text to English.

I think you are overthinking that too much...

I'm ok with the color tune for the goons, the correct placement for the usused BGM(i'm playing the patched rom to check more missing details), but import arcade graphics? you have to resize those. They did it with Rolento(which went horribly bad).

This is Rolento's size in FF Arcade:

This is Rolento's size in the GBA version:

His sprite should be around this size:

I want to give ideas to the forum, not headaches.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:47:25 pm by RealGaea »

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: July 06, 2016, 11:04:53 pm »
GBA homebrews exists?

I'm not talking about homebrews, I'm talking about either figuring out the decompression routines so I can do a graphics hack or making my own fangame (probably not homebrew, since for all I know about it assembly code might as well be written in Martian).

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: July 07, 2016, 12:37:06 am »
I think you are overthinking that too much...

I'm ok with the color tune for the goons, the correct placement for the usused BGM(i'm playing the patched rom to check more missing details), but import arcade graphics? you have to resize those. They did it with Rolento(which went horribly bad).

I want to give ideas to the forum, not headaches.

I just though it would be a cool idea to fix some of the graphics to make the game look closer to its arcade counterpart, sorry about that.

I definitely agree with you that the graphics that really needs to be fixed the most is Rolento's sprites. If someone can import his FF2 sprites to the GBA port, that would be great.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:23:51 am by SCD »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: July 07, 2016, 11:19:17 am »
I just though it would be a cool idea to fix some of the graphics to make the game look closer to its arcade counterpart, sorry about that.

I definitely agree with you that the graphics that really needs to be fixed the most is Rolento's sprites. If someone can import his FF2 sprites to the GBA port, that would be great.

You know? You made me think of another hacks and improvements.

Sound improvement for Final Fight/FF Guy: use all the BGMs. The Rolento fight BGM was absent in FF, and unused in FFGUY.
It would be awesome if we put it on use.

Place this BGM on Uptown Part 1, I know this isn't the correct BGM, but "Street of Luxury" fits with the uptown side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBo5USfSjjQ

And place this BGM on Uptown Part 2, that was in the Arcade version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrjHIAog-Z8

in the Cody version, someone think how to insert he missing song, or compose it from scratch.