News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2425516 times)

John Enigma

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2920 on: June 26, 2016, 11:56:08 am »
I would love to see someone change Super Metroid's Title to Metroid III.  :thumbsup:
Yes. But it should also have a cool subtitle like "Metroid III: The Fall of Samus."

I backup this idea.
I even suggested that in the review for Metroid II DX here:
http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/1094/#review
Also yes. I have the BGB emulator, which I don't remember if it works as a debugger like FCEUX, so I would love to see what I can do to change those color palettes, and how to create an .IPS patch.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:18:14 pm by John Enigma »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: June 26, 2016, 01:00:19 pm »
Been brainstorming ideas for fun/funny things to do with Megaman X when I finally get around to trying RedGuy's badass-looking editor:

Megaman X: Beverly Hills Cop Edition - A hack that uses points form the Beverly Hlls Cop movies to give me a reason to make Eddie Murphy sprites for X and a level hack to go along with 'em.

Megaman XN+: More of a fuckaround kind of level hack that would make the levels into something like the kind of stuff you can do/see in the game N+, but without (most) of the kinds of things that would get you insta-killed in N+. Basically it would be more of a "test the kind of acrobatic shit one can accomplish in Megaman X" kind of hacks. There would be few enemies, since I'd imagine constant respawning would make things annoying fast.

Magaman X: Future's Past: Level hack that attempts to recreate levels from games in the original Megaman Series.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: June 26, 2016, 01:20:24 pm »
All I want from a Super Metroid hack is for someone to modify the physics to make them close to that of Super Metroid Redesign.
They did such an amazing job fixing the floaty physics of the game to match that of Zero Mission and Fusion, but sadly there is no standalone patch for that. :/

Binarynova

• View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: June 26, 2016, 02:51:20 pm »
I mentioned a control hack for Illusion of Gaia that would basically add "sprint" to a face button instead of needing to double-tap a d-pad direction, but now that I'm playing the Secret of Mana "Variable Width Font" Edition, I'd also love to see it with a variable width font, plus a little grammar clean up.
#WoolseyDidNothingWrong

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: June 26, 2016, 03:00:32 pm »
Yes. But it should also have a cool subtitle like "Metroid III: The Fall of Samus."

Metroid III: Samus Goes to College
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2925 on: June 26, 2016, 03:47:21 pm »
Metroid III: The New Generation.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: June 27, 2016, 01:04:50 am »
Metroid III: Samus Goes to College
And then it takes place in a big ol' college campus secretly run by Ridley.  But could there be the even more dangerous enemy of Student Loans?

I mentioned a control hack for Illusion of Gaia that would basically add "sprint" to a face button instead of needing to double-tap a d-pad direction, but now that I'm playing the Secret of Mana "Variable Width Font" Edition, I'd also love to see it with a variable width font, plus a little grammar clean up.
Interestingly enough, it's somewhat known by now that IoG was censored upon localization.  It would be neat to see this kind of text cleanup result in a restoration.

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: June 27, 2016, 06:06:18 am »
A cosmetic improvement fix.

Final Fantasy II NES - Give Firion an 8-bit version of his Final Fantasy Origins sprite, and also make his portrait match that sprite.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: June 27, 2016, 01:51:42 pm »
A cosmetic improvement fix.

Final Fantasy II NES - Give Firion an 8-bit version of his Final Fantasy Origins sprite, and also make his portrait match that sprite.
I'm actually surprised no one did this already.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #2929 on: June 27, 2016, 07:26:02 pm »
With the new Ghostbusters movie coming out, it'd been cool if someone did a gfx hack of New Ghostbusters II for the NES and throw the females in there. Whee! :D   

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: June 27, 2016, 07:36:40 pm »
There's a proper game coming out. Not nessesary.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: June 27, 2016, 07:47:32 pm »
With the new Ghostbusters movie coming out, it'd been cool if someone did a gfx hack of New Ghostbusters II for the NES and throw the females in there. Whee! :D   

Could be a good idea.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: June 27, 2016, 08:57:04 pm »
Another note about the Gender Neutral hacks, or as some call them Attack Helicopter Editions (love the reference by the way).  The most common thing I see in the reviews that have cropped up are "he is obviously male."  These hacks were started as basically a dad doing a cool thing for his girl, so this may be legitimately a sticking point.

I have agender friends who like the idea of these myself so I see the point of doing these without such, but for those concerned what about graphics hack addendums?  I can see how on the 3D games this would be more of a hurdle to cross, but it would be possible to make more ambiguous and/or female-looking sprites to go with them, for all those who would find use of these hacks in general.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:52:53 pm by Chronosplit »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: June 27, 2016, 11:32:34 pm »
The graphics in Link's Awakening DX (at least some of them) are uncompressed. It could be a fun project to replace Link with a female character for the benefit of female players who might want that.

yodavid

• View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: June 28, 2016, 02:20:34 am »
I have no idea how complicated would this be.
I understand also that maybe few people would be interested on it. I would be willing to pay some amount for this, though.

I dream with a version of Super Mario Strikers (NOT the wii version - charged), playable by 8 players, 4 on each team.

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #2935 on: June 28, 2016, 05:13:41 pm »
an MSU Megaman X hack where the boomer kuwanger stage's song is changed for : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPOwbBMjhUs and X won't stop banging his head as you play, you have to finish the level before the end of the song or else X warps away :P

Jareth247

• View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: June 28, 2016, 05:47:31 pm »
Weird idea, but... would it make sense to turn the Ninja Gaiden trilogy into Castlevania games?

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #2937 on: June 28, 2016, 07:49:16 pm »

Names are displayed with sprites, couldn't track them down to change them.
Also, character sprites are horizontally mirrored, so they can't do justice to the distinctive asymmetrical hairstyles of Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, or Chris Hemsworth.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: June 28, 2016, 07:55:48 pm »
I'd love to see a SotN hack that takes away that annoying after-image effect that happanes everytime Alucard jumps or starts to move.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: June 28, 2016, 09:01:25 pm »
If I were you, I'd hold off on that ghostbusters hack until the movie comes out, so you know what their firehouse looks like and you can properly sprite it.