News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2425563 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2900 on: June 18, 2016, 08:25:17 am »
The NES Mario hacks I would like to see is one for Super Mario Bros. that would change the sprites to look like these ones: http://orig02.deviantart.net/eaa4/f/2010/268/1/7/super_mario_25th_anniversary_by_gekimura-d2zb96t.png

And one for Super Mario Bros. 2 that would add Robirdo to this version: http://orig11.deviantart.net/c5c1/f/2013/031/2/6/super_mario_bros__2_8_bit_stuff_by_geno2925-d5tdr34.png

And also one for Super Mario Bros. 3 that would give Luigi his own set of sprites instead of sharing Mario's as well: http://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=1&id=5911

Mega Man VII (Super Nintendo): A hack that would restore these contents from the Japanese version to this version, I think it's possible to transfer those informations from the Japanese ROM to this ROM:

Pre-Boss Level Select text (Justin3009 was able to restore that with a hack he made.)
The missing Roll & Auto scenes where they explain the abilities of the weapon that you got from the robot master you defeated.
Make the ending more like the Japanese version where Mega Man is less aggressive.

Contra III: The Alien Wars (Super Nintendo): A hack that would restore the 30 lives code and the infinite continues from the Japanese to this version, I think it's possible to transfer those informations from the Japanese ROM to this ROM.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:39:49 am by SCD »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: June 18, 2016, 09:20:07 am »
Didn't someone already do a Mega Man 7 retranslation?  I don't think they moved the text to a new area so it got cut in a lot of spots but the gist is there.  If there's an actual translated script then I could probably slap together a quick hack in English for it.  Shouldn't be too difficult since most of the Mega Man SNES and X games share an extremely similar text engine.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: June 18, 2016, 10:05:07 am »
Didn't someone already do a Mega Man 7 retranslation?  I don't think they moved the text to a new area so it got cut in a lot of spots but the gist is there.  If there's an actual translated script then I could probably slap together a quick hack in English for it.  Shouldn't be too difficult since most of the Mega Man SNES and X games share an extremely similar text engine.

Zynk did a English translation hack for the Japanese version, but he changed some of the sprites and used the original Japanese names for all the characters.

Here's the Japanese script in English to help you: http://bobcatmoran.livejournal.com/71128.html

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: June 19, 2016, 05:45:59 am »
So, I got an idea for a hack based on this SiIvaGunner video and the comments from AlWikowonkavitz7, who did the "GRAND MA" voice in the video. Basically, edit Bart vs. the Space Mutants for the NES by crudely replacing Bart with Mega Man.

I've made a mockup of Grand Ma's sprite. The top row is a comparison between Bart and Grand Ma. In the middle row are the original tiles for Bart's head and eyes and how I replaced them with Mega Man graphics. And the bottom row is a comparison between Fred Flintstone and Grand Dad for the heck of it.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: June 19, 2016, 11:18:33 am »
I know this is a massive lift and will likely never happen, but...

...if someone hacked SaGa Frontier 2 to be more akin to the open-world SaGa games, I would be so incredibly grateful.  What I mean by this is having the traditionally open-world exploration, probably in the same vein as the RS games, with customizable parties.  I think it would be easy from a writing perspective to make the plot stay generally the same (minus the generational stuff), but the various locales really need some sprucing up, not to mention the ability to return to them.  Fix the money transfer thing somehow too--like, a bank system or something?

I may have griped about this before, but there are a lot of good things about this game that I think could be a lot better with more traditional SaGa features.  I think you could make the same argument with Unlimited SaGa too (I know I've groused about those turn limits in this thread somewhere).

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: June 19, 2016, 05:07:56 pm »
Guys

Why hasn't anyone added Oil man and Time man in a modded Megaman 1 game?

It just occurred to me no one has done a 8-bit version yet. The 8-bit sprites exist..it is just a matter of implementing it.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: June 19, 2016, 06:50:39 pm »
Guys

Why hasn't anyone added Oil man and Time man in a modded Megaman 1 game?

It just occurred to me no one has done a 8-bit version yet. The 8-bit sprites exist..it is just a matter of implementing it.
Maybe because it involves creating two fully fledged levels, along with its enemies, hazards, and not to mention programming all of them including the two extra bosses?

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: June 19, 2016, 06:55:30 pm »
Maybe because it involves creating two fully fledged levels, along with its enemies, hazards, and not to mention programming all of them including the two extra bosses?

I figured that  :angel:. It just occurred to me it would be a good project to do if possible.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: June 19, 2016, 11:03:50 pm »
You know those gender neutral Zelda hacks?  I like the idea around it, doing so while leaving little impact in the actual game.  How about we carried this idea to some other games where the protagonist is meant to represent the player in some way, yet there is no gender choice?

I can't really brainstorm a whole lot of them for now, but Dragon Quest 1 and 2 come to mind (I think, I don't remember many pronouns in those scripts).  Maybe the Golden Sun games?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:10:18 pm by Chronosplit »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: June 20, 2016, 06:03:23 am »
Personally I have never understood the desire for that. If I was going to do a gender/sex changing hack it would be to explore what might play out differently if the characters in question, nothing that particularly appeals for me to put the time in for but then neither do sports games and I can see why people play those. Though given most games seem to take place in a pantomime world* in terms of danger and gender politics and most characters seem to be blank cyphers there seem to be few games that it would really work for, at least if you wanted to not use a ROM hack as a way to avoid learning some game maker and cause yourself more work in the process.

*might be a poor choice of words given how pantomimes work.

Jareth247

• View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: June 20, 2016, 07:53:09 pm »
some hacks I'd love to see:

• A hacked version of "Batman" for NES based on "Phantom of the Paradise".
  • Magical Doropie reimagined as a game based on drag queen Miss Coco Peru.
  • A pair of Pokemon hacks, Fierce Pink and Fabulous Purple, that reimagine the Gen 1 story with famous drag queens and so on. RuPaul would replace Oak, "Ash" and "Gary" would be replaced by Sharon Needles and Phi Phi O'Hara (who happens to be a MAJOR Pokemon fan) with Phi Phi being the "Ash" replacement in one version and Sharon being the "Ash" replacement in the other.
  • Duck Tales 3, made on top of Duck Tales 2
  • A Castlevania hack based on drag queen Sharon Needles
  • A pair of hacks inspired by Sonic Unleashed, with the daytime levels adapted into a Sonic 1 hack (with custom graphics) and the nighttime levels adapted into a Ristar hack (with custom graphics)
  • Something Steven Universe-based, possibly a hack of Bucky O'Hare for the NES
  • Something Kamen Rider-based for the NES

Also, if Pacnsacdave is listening, I loved your hacked version of Zyuranger for Famicom, but I'd love to see a few minor changes to it. For one, the bosses could use some tweaking, like Finster who keeps spawning projectiles AND Putties. Also if it's Power Rangers-based, why does the Zyuranger theme play on the title screen? Other than that, great work as always.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: June 20, 2016, 09:51:24 pm »
You know those gender neutral Zelda hacks?  I like the idea around it, doing so while leaving little impact in the actual game.  How about we carried this idea to some other games where the protagonist is meant to represent the player in some way, yet there is no gender choice?

I can't really brainstorm a whole lot of them for now, but Dragon Quest 1 and 2 come to mind (I think, I don't remember many pronouns in those scripts).  Maybe the Golden Sun games?

I know for a fact DQ4 lets you choose your gender, but I'm not sure it would work well in 2 without doing a bit more work on the scripts since the characters are more "set" than in some other DQ's.  DQ1 is all olde English, so I don't actually think there are a lot of male pronouns used (although I could be completely mis-remembering things), and DQ3 also I believe has a smallish usage of gender pronouns, although more than the first 2 I think.  1 and 3 would be prime for this type of hack since the heroes are pretty generic, especially if you could do noticeably different sprites.

I think you could do it in 2 as well, but it would just be a lot more work since the characters have been individually pretty well defined in-game.  I think this goes for DQ5 onwards as well for the same reasons.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2912 on: June 22, 2016, 05:19:28 am »
Metal Gear (MSX) wishlist:
-Make keycards stack so that you don't have to guess which one to use on a locked door
-Tweak bosses without a safe spot to be more dodgeable
-Add warning calls to trial & error parts like the mine fields, desert tank segment and screens with a truck that moves you backwards in the game
-Make it possible to speed up messages per text box instead of just skipping the one being typed
-Make placed ammo and rations not replenish infinitely
-Fix the few cheap camera and enemy placement so you can't get spotted right as you enter a new screen
-Make the desert tank, bulldozer tank and chopper take a couple hits less to destroy
-Add subtle visual clues or other hints about important bombable walls besides in the cell
-Make dogs punchable and cameras bombable
-Add a strafe move
-Add a basic map feature, preferably one that fills in as you explore rather than showing the architecture at once.
-Speed up the elevators
-Make doors not re-lock right after passing through them
-Make calls not repeat when re-entering the same screen
-Add some of the NES music to vary the ost up (Jungle, Outer Heaven)

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

pikahax

• View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: June 22, 2016, 05:44:35 am »
There's this obscure game called "Panel Action Bingo". I was thinking about how to improve the game.
Like having options for 2-player mode.

Option menus before the start like level select, music selection from 4 different songs played throughout the game, not just random.
Even an option to turn off the music. Also a built-in password generator. About 2,000 different valid passwords.

A 2-player mode should have multiple rounds, not just one and done. Order setting between ascending and descending order.
Plus a round select and game length. Also the option to play against the computer with three skill levels.

And a top 10 leaderboard, and last not but least, Super Game Boy enhancements.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: June 23, 2016, 11:51:21 pm »
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1573/

Played this hack, was great. But did some reading up on it afterward. Seems there's a 2010 version out there, and maybe even a 2014 version. Anyone have it / able to add it to the database?

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: June 25, 2016, 10:21:44 pm »
What we need is a Zelda II complete graphics overhaul hack.

For a major game, Zelda II has some of the weakest BG graphics. This won't be as easy as editing the tiles, but probably would require a reprogramming of the BG graphics system, and CHR-ROM layout.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: June 25, 2016, 11:59:36 pm »
What we need is a Zelda II complete graphics overhaul hack.

For a major game, Zelda II has some of the weakest BG graphics. This won't be as easy as editing the tiles, but probably would require a reprogramming of the BG graphics system, and CHR-ROM layout.

I would also like to see this. That one hack, Zelda II - The Adventure of Link 1999 changes a lot of graphics but to me they are a major eyesore.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: June 26, 2016, 12:55:28 am »
I know nobody will pay attention to this, but I'm just gonna say it.

The Metroid II DX hack is awesome, but I wish that someone would change Samus' sprite colors to this one: which is from this Metroid II Colorization hack.

I know nobody will try, and I'm pretty sure nobody will tell me how to do it, but I'm just gonna come out and say this, before I could forget.

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: June 26, 2016, 01:30:20 am »
I would love to see someone change Super Metroid's Title to Metroid III.  :thumbsup:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: June 26, 2016, 02:46:58 am »
I know nobody will pay attention to this, but I'm just gonna say it.

The Metroid II DX hack is awesome, but I wish that someone would change Samus' sprite colors to this one: which is from this Metroid II Colorization hack.

I know nobody will try, and I'm pretty sure nobody will tell me how to do it, but I'm just gonna come out and say this, before I could forget.
I backup this idea.
I even suggested that in the review for Metroid II DX here:
http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/1094/#review