News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2165598 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2260 on: September 29, 2015, 11:30:18 am »
EDIT: Believe me, I'd love to do it, but like I was saying, if it's up to me, I'd want the blood, crosses, and nude statues restored- not to mention a way to add back in the dripping blood at the title screen. That would go beyond the scope of just modifying the palette, which is why it seems like a simple translation of the Japanese intro would achieve this goal with less effort. If you could help me in inserting the english intro into the Japanese version, then I'm all ears, but keep in mind I have 0 romhacking experience!

P.S thanks for the update; it looks amazing!
Actually I think trying to hack the introduction text for the Japanese game would be harder.
Remember that you also have to translate the title screen along with the text, and believe me when I say it, if hacking EarthBound has teached me something, is that hacking SNES title screens is a pain in the ass.

Hacking the game shouldn't be THAT hard, although I've read that hacking Konami specific games is quite difficult, and proof of that is that there is no hack of SCV4 that I know of.
I did screw around with the game a little bit, and it seems that the graphics are all compressed.

So for the graphics we have 3 options:

1) Use the SCV4 Decompressor which I have no idea how it works. :P
http://www.romhacking.net/documents/416/

2) Use the Konami compressor/decompressor. This seems like the best choice so far:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1101/
http://magicteam.net/forum/index.php?topic=430.0
http://romhacking.ru/news/konami_snes_compressor_decompressor_win/2014-11-12-2846
(For the last two pages, use the "Translate page" option to be able to somewhat read them).

3) Use a debugger like Snes9x or bizHawk to pin point the location of the graphics and, once the location is found, figure out a way to decompress them, edit them, and compress them back into the game.

The palette change for the goop is the easiest to do. xD

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: September 29, 2015, 06:12:32 pm »
Can we have a hack for Mega Man X6 that disallows the Nightmare Virus to snatch reploids? Weapons Center has become a new hell because of them.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: October 01, 2015, 12:10:58 am »
I've been thinking of working on a SMB1 hack, with some ASM changes. I definitely want to change running/jumping physics. Anybody have any other good ideas what else I should do?

I once heard about a SMB hack that had Mario running/scrolling to the left. I won't be doing that, just thought I would mention it for no reason.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: October 01, 2015, 07:10:00 am »
Space Harrier (Sega 32X): A hack that would make the game run 60fps to make it more like the arcade version and it would also add the Haya-Oh boss from the 3DS version to this game as well.

I would like to see someone extract the modified arcade ROMs of Vampire Savior from Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection (PS2) and Street Fighter Alpha 3 from Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (PS2) that added new characters, stages and music to them and modify the Vampire Savior ROM to have English text, the Darkstalkers 3 title screen and the Revenger's Roost stage and get them to work on MAME.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: October 01, 2015, 02:04:18 pm »
I once heard about a SMB hack that had Mario running/scrolling to the left. I won't be doing that, just thought I would mention it for no reason.
Nintendo has done this on NES Remix 2 (Super Luigi Bros.), albeit via mirroring.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: October 01, 2015, 02:46:55 pm »
Nintendo has done this on NES Remix 2 (Super Luigi Bros.), albeit via mirroring.
can the same thing be done to a SMB1 ROM?
Mirroring the entirety of the levels to have a faithful recreation of Super Luigi Bros.?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: October 01, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »
I don't think Nintendo's mirroring technique (whatever that is) can be done on the rom. If a different way can be done to make the screen scroll left, it's not going to mirror the level for us; we will have to recreate it and mirror the graphics manually.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: October 01, 2015, 04:18:50 pm »
I think it would be easier to recreate SMB1 in a SMB3 hack. SMB3 Mix does that on the first world.

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: October 01, 2015, 05:27:24 pm »
It occured to me that some FDS games allowed saving while their NES counterparts used passwords or worse didn't allow any kind of saving at all.

Kid Icarus is a good example. The NES version has a password system while the FDS version has a zelda-esque save screen.

Castlevania has a similar situation, what's more when it was re-released in cartridge format for the Famicom it sported an 'easy mode' that the NES version never got.

tcaud

• View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: October 01, 2015, 07:03:51 pm »
A control enhancement patch for the early Castlevanias would be very welcome.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: October 01, 2015, 07:14:14 pm »
A control enhancement patch for the early Castlevanias would be very welcome.

Or one for Castlevania Chronicles.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

tcaud

• View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: October 01, 2015, 09:22:57 pm »
Space Harrier (Sega 32X): A hack that would make the game run 60fps to make it more like the arcade version and it would also add the Haya-Oh boss from the 3DS version to this game as well.

That might not be technologically feasible. You need double the speed for double the frame rate. Pretty much every commercial game pushes the envelope already.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: October 01, 2015, 09:50:29 pm »
That might not be technologically feasible. You need double the speed for double the frame rate. Pretty much every commercial game pushes the envelope already.

Alright, I though it would have been possible to make it run at 60fps because the 32X was a little more powerful than the Genesis. But is it possible to add the Haya-Oh boss from the 3DS version to it?

tcaud

• View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: October 01, 2015, 11:28:53 pm »
Alright, I though it would have been possible to make it run at 60fps because the 32X was a little more powerful than the Genesis. But is it possible to add the Haya-Oh boss from the 3DS version to it?

It is indeed impossible but not for the reason stated. The CPU is different and thus would require a total rewrite. And if you could add Haya-Oh, you could add anything. However few people care for the game so I doubt there is much interest in modding it.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: October 02, 2015, 06:25:08 pm »
You know what would be swell?
If someone could further advance or even finish the Super Luigi Bros. hack that this guy started:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=126836
Right now it is only World 1-1, then it bumps you back to the Title Screen.

It has left scrolling instead of right, and everything is mirrored exactly like in the NES Remix 2 version!
Damn I would love to see that as a fully developed ROM hack of Super Mario Bros.

tigrou

• View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: October 03, 2015, 06:26:53 am »
One idea came to my mind regarding Super Mario Maker on WiiU :

This game is probably "nothing new" for most people in the rom hacking community, because we already have level editors for mario games since long time ago. However, it become quite popular and TONS of really good levels have been released so far.

I was wondering if it would be possible to extract/dump some of these levels (which are exchanged over the network between the WiiU and Nintendo servers). It is probably not easy because it is certainly encrypted/compressed. Once decrypted and level format is well know (like what have been done for NSMBW and reggie) writing a simulator/editor for the modern OSes would be then the next step (it should not be that difficult) so we could play that levels on a regular computer. Something similar might be done using a (future) WiiU emulator but my guess is we wont see one in a near future.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:12:50 am by tigrou »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: October 03, 2015, 07:56:39 am »
It might be possible as things stand but we appear to be right on the cusp of seeing the Wii U somewhat more hacked than it is right now (various homebrew works, cheat codes are possible/being made now, supposedly a copied game loader is about to drop) so it might be better to check back in a few months. I imagine you have updated if you are fiddling with mario but if you do have a wii u on firmware 5.3.2 then keep it there.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: October 03, 2015, 04:15:13 pm »
I would love it if we ever get a Zelda3 Editor along with a maximalised Zelda3 ROM regarding space, which allows us far greater customising, without any bugs or any side effects for overdecorating a room.

I tried Hyrule Magic to create a nasty volcanic level with damaging lava floors.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: October 03, 2015, 08:06:26 pm »
I'm surprised there are no attempts to hack the N64/GCN, NDS, and Wii Animal Crossing games to make remodelling your house actually optional like in New Leaf. Tom Nook would actually respect your desire to keep a smaller house, and a new dialogue option will become available from then on whenever you talk to Nook.

Also, I'm surprised nobody tried to hack Isabelle into the Town Hall in Wild World and City Folk, since she's quite popular.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: October 04, 2015, 11:53:19 pm »
I've probably said it before, but I would love a Lagrange Point hack that spiffs up the writing/names of everything a bit.  Bio Kaiser just sounds a bit hokey, and most of the place names are pretty lame too (especially land 2 locations--the food-themed naming is pretty bad).

Some sort of balancing with regards to how the hyper/panic system works too would be lovely.  Maybe then some of the characters in the game wouldn't be totally useless.

So much about this game is good though.