News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2165503 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2240 on: September 25, 2015, 11:03:52 pm »
Two big things get in the way of simply combining the AST ROMs into one:
1) Sheer size
2) The episodic structure pretty much enforces each episode to be standalone, which would null any point of combining the ROMs. You can't simply go from Level 2 to Level 3 or from 4 or 5 or from 6 to 7, which is what people would -actually- want from the combined set, even if it's not explicitly voiced out.

I would argue that it'd be easier to hack LttP and simply re-interpret the gameplay so that the game clock and episodic structure are non-factors, and the plot rewritten just enough so that there's no enforced breaks or waits.

That's the way I see it.
I read that combining all the four ROM's is nothing but a freaking pain to accomplish due to how different they are and how they handle everything.

Creating a ALttP hack that tries to keep it faithful to AST seems to be the only way to go so that we can accomplish a one ROM only game, although I think the only major issue would be making events/cutscenes for the new hack.

Hogwash. That's 8 stone tablets for 8 TOTAL dungeons, compared to LttP's 12. Just edit both the crystals and pendants into tablets. There's no other end-of-dungeon items to get in AST.

Hyrule Magic could surely handle that.
We can create all the 8 dungeons and make them all appear in the Light Overworld by getting rid of the Dark World, since IIRC the Dark World is not used in AST.

The dungeons could fit, no problem there, and the rent of the items could be handled by buying them instead of renting them, in a similar fashion to that of ALBW when you can get the full versions of them.

A lot of timed events could be handled by:
Once you accomplish something -> Enable flag which makes X appear
Only difference here would be that the event WON'T go away once you enable it, unless you complete it, which will unset the flag.

In theory, it should be feasible, but quite a time taker.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: September 25, 2015, 11:21:32 pm »
Hogwash. That's 8 stone tablets for 8 TOTAL dungeons, compared to LttP's 12. Just edit both the crystals and pendants into tablets. There's no other end-of-dungeon items to get in AST.

The number of dungeons is not the problem. There's plenty of space. The problem is altering the game to function around 8 collectable items of that sort.

Hyrule Magic could surely handle that.
We can create all the 8 dungeons and make them all appear in the Light Overworld by getting rid of the Dark World, since IIRC the Dark World is not used in AST.

Hyrule Magic won't make the ASM required for the stone tablets any easier though. That's the real problem. A hack of this sort will require a shit-ton of ASM for this and all of the other things that would need to be brought over.

All in all, AST isn't really that great besides all of the cool little bonuses. Those dungeons are really light-weight compared to ALttP. I don't think a hack like this would be worth the effort no matter how it was approached.

EDIT: Don't let that stop you though. What do I know? :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:45:32 pm by SunGodPortal »
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: September 26, 2015, 12:14:41 am »
The number of dungeons is not the problem. There's plenty of space. The problem is altering the game to function around 8 collectable items of that sort.

Hyrule Magic won't make the ASM required for the stone tablets any easier though. That's the real problem. A hack of this sort will require a shit-ton of ASM for this and all of the other things that would need to be brought over.

All in all, AST isn't really that great besides all of the cool little bonuses. Those dungeons are really light-weight compared to ALttP. I don't think a hack like this would be worth the effort no matter how it was approached.

EDIT: Don't let that stop you though. What do I know? :)

Yeah I know that it will require some heavy ASM. :P
That's the downside though. xD

Although, a nice formed team could very well pull this off in quite some months if the cards are played right. :P
Oh how I wish to see AST as a standalone ROM and not having to rename the SAV after each episode...

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: September 26, 2015, 11:19:20 am »
A timer display for Metroid to tell you how much time you have left to get the best ending.

Dark_the_Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: September 26, 2015, 11:21:27 pm »
I haven't seen anything on this game, but the US version got butchered. I wanna see a patch to restore Zatch Bell: Mamodo Fury to its full glory. The game lost SO much in translation. I just wanna see some of the Japan-exclusive stuff be brought back (like character portraits. Those would be nice).

Also, Mamodo Battles had some exclusive stuff in Japan and some exclusive stuff for America. A completion hack to get all of the exclusives would be cool.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: September 27, 2015, 01:54:27 am »
Two quick hack ideas for Halloween:

1. Super Castlevania IV sprite restore/uncensoring

The differences between the Japanese and US version are demonstrated here: https://youtu.be/AbAPvxI56GM?t=402

I'm amazed this has hasn't already been done (green goop vs. blood- come on!). I think it may be easier to just simply translate the Japanese version (it would be just the introduction that needs to be done), and then we'd get to play a much superior version of this classic without needless censorship.

2. Castlevania III sprite restore

IMHO, the original Japanese Castlevania III (Akumajou Densetsu) is superior in every way to the US release (particularly the music) except for one thing; two sprites: https://youtu.be/AbAPvxI56GM?t=470

The US zombie looks genuinely creepy and threatening with it's arms reaching towards you, whereas the original Japanese version looks like a non-threatening docile ghoul. Secondly, The hopping horned rabbit looks really goofy to me, whereas the hunchback ghoul from the US version looks really unsettling; both definite improvements. If someone could offer this sprite swap as an IPS patch, I'd be most grateful.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #2246 on: September 27, 2015, 11:05:19 am »

The differences between the Japanese and US version are demonstrated here: https://youtu.be/AbAPvxI56GM?t=402

I'm amazed this has hasn't already been done (green goop vs. blood- come on!). I think it may be easier to just simply translate the Japanese version (it would be just the introduction that needs to be done), and then we'd get to play a much superior version of this classic without needless censorship.

It HAS been done
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: September 27, 2015, 01:54:47 pm »
Two quick hack ideas for Halloween:

This one is simple.
All you gotta do is a simple palette swap of the green goop to a red colour to match that of the Japanese version.
I don't mind the crosses being removed and the topless statue though. :P

2. Castlevania III sprite restore

IMHO, the original Japanese Castlevania III (Akumajou Densetsu) is superior in every way to the US release (particularly the music) except for one thing; two sprites: https://youtu.be/AbAPvxI56GM?t=470

The US zombie looks genuinely creepy and threatening with it's arms reaching towards you, whereas the original Japanese version looks like a non-threatening docile ghoul. Secondly, The hopping horned rabbit looks really goofy to me, whereas the hunchback ghoul from the US version looks really unsettling; both definite improvements. If someone could offer this sprite swap as an IPS patch, I'd be most grateful.

Try this:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1983/

It's a hack I did some years ago which takes Vice Translations' hack as a base, I already sent the submission today for an update that changes both the Zombies and the Imp, since I think they're both cannonical (the imp mostly since I can say that this creature appears in the following games while the spiked creature does not).

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: September 27, 2015, 02:19:40 pm »
Ever notice how Donkey Kong 3 (NES), you play as 'Stanley the bugman'....

I never got that, Donkey Kong is still the antagonist, but no Mario. Donkey Kong 3 would feel more proper and more like a part of the Donkey Kong arcade series if 'Stanley' was replaced with 'Mario/Jumpman', or hell, even Luigi.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: September 27, 2015, 02:41:24 pm »
Since I've been playing the hell out of Ocarina of Time lately, I've thought of some small improvements that would neat to see:

1: HUD Toggle: Normally in game you can press L to toggle the minimap ON/OFF. It would be nice to have the HUD be toggled ON/OFF in a similar manner, like L+R.

2: Near Death Sound replacement/disabler: After playing Zelda games for 20-odd years, I'd rather make love to a lawnmower than hear "BEEP BEEP BEEP!!! BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!" every other second.  Replacing that sound with nothing, or something not so in your face (The near death noise in Skyward Sword's a good example of this) would be music to my ears.

3:Faster/Instant Text Speed:  One of the things that bugs me the most is how slowly the text displays. Sometime you're able to skip through it all with a press of the B button, but a large amount of the text forces you to watch those letters sloooooowly display one by one. Upping the speed of that by 100-150% (or making the text just display all at once) would greatly improve the experience and take up less time.

4:Camera Control Via D-Pad: normally I believe the game uses the D-Pad to toggle the arrow displaying your character's  position on the minimap. That's far from an effecient use of an entire D-Pad. Seeing as OoT runs off of a modified Super Mario 64 Engine, I don't think it would impossible to implement some form of camera control.  Sure it would feel a bit wonky on an actual manta ray shaped N64 controller, but for anyone using an emulator and/or controller with two analog sticks, it would be amazing.

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #2250 on: September 27, 2015, 04:56:55 pm »
This one is simple.
All you gotta do is a simple palette swap of the green goop to a red colour to match that of the Japanese version.
I don't mind the crosses being removed and the topless statue though. :P

Definitely does sound simple to me too, yet impossible for someone like me without the requisite knowledge to do it! ;)
Like I was saying, given how popular this game is, I'm really surprised that this hasn't already been done. For my part, I'd prefer the crosses restored as well as the topless statues- perhaps an optional seperate .ips patch include in the hack?

Try this:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1983/

It's a hack I did some years ago which takes Vice Translations' hack as a base, I already sent the submission today for an update that changes both the Zombies and the Imp, since I think they're both cannonical (the imp mostly since I can say that this creature appears in the following games while the spiked creature does not).

That is AMAZING to hear ShadowOne333; believe it or not, I've already had your phenomenal patch put onto an actual Akumajou Densetsu cart since a year ago- it's that good! :thumbsup:   Do you know approximately when the new patch will be available (that is to say, will the readme change-log be updated with a patch note so as to indicate when it's uploaded)?

Thank you so much for doing this ShadowOne333; I'm really glad that you see the canonicity (and superiority for that matter) of those two sprites the same way I do. As an aside, do you prefer the starting cross with the radiating light from the Japanese original, or the US revision without the aura?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:05:13 pm by The_Atomik_Punk! »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: September 27, 2015, 05:53:03 pm »
Definitely does sound simple to me too, yet impossible for someone like me without the requisite knowledge to do it! ;)
Like I was saying, given how popular this game is, I'm really surprised that this hasn't already been done. For my part, I'd prefer the crosses restored as well as the topless statues- perhaps an optional seperate .ips patch include in the hack?

You're in luck. :)
I've been working lately in hacking both GBA and SNES palettes for the Yoshi's Island restoration, so if you can I can gladly walk you through the process to change the palette of the goop!

Send me a PM if you want to, it won't take you more than 10 min I can assure you!

That is AMAZING to hear ShadowOne333; believe it or not, I've already had your phenomenal patch put onto an actual Akumajou Densetsu cart since a year ago- it's that good! :thumbsup:   Do you know approximately when the new patch will be available (that is to say, will the readme change-log be updated with a patch note so as to indicate when it's uploaded)?

Thank you so much for doing this ShadowOne333; I'm really glad that you see the canonicity (and superiority for that matter) of those two sprites the same way I do. As an aside, do you prefer the starting cross with the radiating light from the Japanese original, or the US revision without the aura?

Oh so you have a repro-cart of the hack? :O
Wow, that is great!

As for the ETA, I say somewhere between 24-48 hours, depending on how much time the RH guys accept the submission.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: September 27, 2015, 06:45:02 pm »
You're in luck. :)
I've been working lately in hacking both GBA and SNES palettes for the Yoshi's Island restoration, so if you can I can gladly walk you through the process to change the palette of the goop!

Send me a PM if you want to, it won't take you more than 10 min I can assure you!

That's a very generous offer from you, but I'd really be interested in the whole thing uncensored if I'm going  to endevor to do this (blood, crosses, statues), so would inserting the US intro text into the Japanese ROM being more simple if the goal is all 3?

Wow, that is great!

As for the ETA, I say somewhere between 24-48 hours, depending on how much time the RH guys accept the submission.

It's actually a real Famicom cart, with your hack placed in it by a modder; thanks for the time estimate ShadowOne333

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: September 27, 2015, 06:58:43 pm »

Considering the structure of AST, the easiest solution would likely be to put the flag check for the stone tablets before dungeon 8, since you need to get past it to reach the endgame point anyway. This way you could probably just use the same check that's normally used for the crystals. Of course, this would probably require placing an arbitrary NPC or some other thing to block the passage, likely replacing the rock that's a check for the Titan's Mitt.

Ever notice how Donkey Kong 3 (NES), you play as 'Stanley the bugman'....

I never got that, Donkey Kong is still the antagonist, but no Mario. Donkey Kong 3 would feel more proper and more like a part of the Donkey Kong arcade series if 'Stanley' was replaced with 'Mario/Jumpman', or hell, even Luigi.

Poor Stanley. He needs his own ROM hack starring role to offset demands like this. :(

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: September 28, 2015, 03:15:47 am »
Wow, that is great!

That IS cool. I'd love like to see it in action. Something about my artwork being displayed on a real tv makes me giddy.

I gotta get off my butt some day soon and do my alternate title translation version of the hack. ;)

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: September 28, 2015, 01:54:40 pm »
Poor Stanley. He needs his own ROM hack starring role to offset demands like this. :(

Okay, lemmee clarify this a bit.

Donkey Kong 3 is sorta not as popular as Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr, I find that to be somewhat of a shame because even though it isn't all that unique in gameplay it is still a decent top down shooter type game with a lot of fun to offer. Putting Mario/Luigi in the main role adds some recognition because only extreme Nintendo nerds know who 'Stanley' is.

That's all, also, this isn't a demand of any sort, it's a suggestion in the hope that somebody who has the skills to do a pallate swap might find this an acceptable idea for a project.

Inserting Mario into games via hacking is pretty big tradition, Stanley is not the first to be replaced. Bomberman, Mappy, the star of lode runner, moai-kun and the balloon fighter have all been replaced with Mario/Luigi in the past. Those characters have not gone away because of these hacks, neither will Stanley.

:) 

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: September 28, 2015, 01:58:33 pm »
That IS cool. I'd love like to see it in action. Something about my artwork being displayed on a real tv makes me giddy.

I gotta get off my butt some day soon and do my alternate title translation version of the hack. ;)

Most certainly is; RGB Modded AV Famicom on a 36" Sony CRT= the Ultimate Castlevania III experience  8)
I'll snap some pics for you when I get the v4 of this hack placed on the cart (gotta send it out to my modder); give me a couple weeks.

BTW, what do you mean when you speak of an alternate title translation?

September 28, 2015, 02:09:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I forgot to mention; for the title screen subtitle, there is an apostrophe missing in the word Draculas (should be Dracula's).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:09:50 pm by The_Atomik_Punk! »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: September 28, 2015, 02:13:19 pm »
BTW, what do you mean when you speak of an alternate title translation?
He was working on a different version of the title screen, a "revamped" version if you want.

I forgot to mention; for the title screen subtitle, there is an apostrophe missing in the word Draculas (should be Dracula's).
The dropping blood is supposed to make up for the apostrophe, it was my way to work around with the space I had. :P

EDIT:
v4 is out now BTW.
Also, let me know if you want to do the Super Castlevania IV hack, won't take you more than 10 mins to achieve.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: September 28, 2015, 02:17:53 pm »
He was working on a different version of the title screen, a "revamped" version if you want.

The dropping blood is supposed to make up for the apostrophe, it was my way to work around with the space I had. :P

LOL I didn't realize that, but now that you say it, I can see it!  :thumbsup:

EDIT: Believe me, I'd love to do it, but like I was saying, if it's up to me, I'd want the blood, crosses, and nude statues restored- not to mention a way to add back in the dripping blood at the title screen. That would go beyond the scope of just modifying the palette, which is why it seems like a simple translation of the Japanese intro would achieve this goal with less effort. If you could help me in inserting the english intro into the Japanese version, then I'm all ears, but keep in mind I have 0 romhacking experience!

P.S thanks for the update; it looks amazing!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: September 29, 2015, 01:21:48 am »
Here:

This is a mock up of the one I was working on before my hard drive died a few months ago.

Now I'm going to have to start over more or less from scratch, well... off the v3.0 patch.
Mine will aim to be a bit closer to the original Japanese version.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:41:57 am by Vanya »