News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1564672 times)

johnny

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2140 on: August 21, 2015, 10:26:33 am »
I think I would sooner try to code a NES emulator for the megadrive.

I guess a could try to code a disassembler that used a common 68K assembler syntax. Or possibly even a macro/regex script to convert common opcodes.

I can not see such a thing being of any use to anybody really, well I suppose a magical porting machine would be but that is not going to happen -- a disassembler that can generate a useful disassembly that can be assembled again would be a reasonably impressive trick, useful cross platform assembly conversion of fairly radically different platforms is a god tier trick.

Well I guess that explains how some ports can be done and not others. Such as Thunder Force 2 being ported from the Sharp x68000 computer to the Sega Genesis as both have the same processor (and likely same ASM language). So alright I suppose if this is the case then with some work, a library of games can be ported over from the Sharp x68000 to the Sega Genesis.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: August 21, 2015, 02:00:43 pm »
A console and a computer are not only a CPU, but also coprocessors. Evn if at the time of the MD, there were not so much copro in consoles, they were still very ârticular. For example, the graphic processor of the MD handles gfx in a very different way than most computers of this time.

So no, I don't think porting games between X68000 and MD (or Amiga, or Atari ST, or Neo Geo, or Macs, they all use 68000) is really easier.

Other than that, yes, same processor => same asm.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 21, 2015, 03:42:51 pm »
A console and a computer are not only a CPU, but also coprocessors. Evn if at the time of the MD, there were not so much copro in consoles, they were still very ârticular. For example, the graphic processor of the MD handles gfx in a very different way than most computers of this time.

So no, I don't think porting games between X68000 and MD (or Amiga, or Atari ST, or Neo Geo, or Macs, they all use 68000) is really easier.

Other than that, yes, same processor => same asm.

Ahh so Castlevania for Amiga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFlAX9RJQM could be ported to the Sega Genesis with some work put into it. That would be cool to see I guess. Also Exile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6rbjU8sCP0 is a game (haven't played it) but I have seen it on You Tube and it looks great. That could be a fun project to port to Genesis.  There is also a Dos version of Metal Gear 1 out there with no sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dL8CxwIIss if that could be fixed up and ported to Genesis with some music/sound, polished graphics, and some other things, maybe that could be a cool project.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:56:22 pm by johnny »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: August 21, 2015, 04:06:46 pm »
You didn't read my post, do you?

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: August 21, 2015, 04:13:12 pm »
You didn't read my post, do you?

Yeah I see the graphics is the tough part yes I know and it may not be possible. But what about just fixing the versions already in existence without porting? Would it be hard to fix up the Dos version of Castlevania or Metal Gear to play and sound better than they do? Having the games control better and for the sound to be better. Can old Dos game programming be modernized? I suppose then its not a ROM hack but the same theory in mind. Taking something old and improving upon it.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: August 21, 2015, 05:02:42 pm »
Despite things like http://www.pagetable.com/?p=28 then even when people developed near exclusively with assembly they still had source code, comments, function names, functions (ish), properly laid out code and mechanics discussions and whatever else. If I have something like http://www.dragonflycave.com/rbycapture.aspx to look at then I do not have to disassemble the code, fight through what is IO and memory handling and then figure out what is being done (probably at micro/fiddly level as adding 539878975 to 120987494598 and dividing by 4.754 is very annoying to do in the opcodes that simple machines run, though that example is extreme -- there is a reason many games have stats that top out at 254).

"same processor => same asm"
I would be careful saying that. No doubt anybody that knows the assembly language in question could cross over in next to no time as such things go but when I have non CPU registers in my brain memory, the various SWI calls, the memory layout itself as well as potentially less memory to play with then it is not a trivial move. I would certainly put it beyond any useful automation we are likely to see, at least short of the folks doing stuff on the crazier side of the C++ decompilation jacking it in and deciding to try something like this. Even automated porting between same CPUs if they allow relative addressing/some of the more interesting aspects of pointer maths would earn more than a respectful nod from me.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 22, 2015, 03:15:59 am »
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (Arcade, Sega Dreamcast, Sony Playstation 2, Sony PlayStation 3, Microsoft Xbox and Microsoft Xbox 360): I want to see a hack that would do all this to it:

Balance the game out a bit.
Replace Bone Claw Wolverine with Norimaro.
Change M. Bison's name back to his correct name, Vega.
Make Roll and Servbot as strong as the other fighters in this game.
Give Juggernaut his Nail Slam move from X-Men vs. Street Fighter.
Give Charlie his Final Mission super move from Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter.
Give Chun-Li her Shichisei Senkukyaku super move from Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes.
Have the Water Raft stage appear in Arcade Mode, only the ice version of that stage appears in that mode.
Modify War Machine's sprites so his armor looks closer to his official MVC2 artworks instead of looking like Iron Man: http://scrollboss.illmosis.net/comicedits/warmachine-capfgt_mvsc1_fistraise.png
Change Rogue's default colors back to her original green and yellow costume with the brown jacket and change the colors of her official MVC2 artworks that appear in the game to her original colors as well.

X-Men: The Arcade Game (Sony PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360): A hack that would restore the original arcade voice tracks for all the characters.

Silhouette Mirage (Sony PlayStation): A hack that would restore all the content that got censored back to their original uncensored format and it would also change the gameplay difficulty back to it's original setting from the Japanese version as well.

Mario Kart Super Circuit (Game Boy Advance): A hack that would restore the original preview image of Sunset Wilds from the Japanese ROM to the American ROM: https://tcrf.net/Mario_Kart:_Super_Circuit#Regional_Differences

Maybe someone can hack Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and restore the missing Starbeans Café cameo appearances of random Nintendo characters with the Yoshi Magic tool that was just released on this site.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:10:53 am by SCD »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: August 25, 2015, 10:27:08 pm »
I wish someone had smacked the people at Square around a bit when they decided to put such a low item limit in the party inventory in Final Fantasy Legend 2/ SaGa 2.

Not that the game isn't pretty easy as is, but good lord some late dungeons are killing me with making some inventory efficiency moves.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: August 28, 2015, 10:36:40 pm »
Kirby's Dream Land with a second Extra game.

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: August 29, 2015, 02:40:47 pm »
Somebody should make...JOHN CENA'S PUNCH OUT! *cue theme*
The music arranging and hacking would probably be the hardest part.

Mozgus

• View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: August 29, 2015, 04:06:55 pm »
So this guy has remade Megaman 1, 2, and 3 with Konami VRC6 expansion music, and even includes the NSF files with them to prove it. Would it be possible to hack these into the ROMs to play them with the expanded music? That would be amazing.

https://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-remade
https://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-2-remade
https://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-3-remade

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 31, 2015, 07:05:31 am »
That would be a pretty tall order considering that you'd have to convert each rom into VRC6, then completely rewrite the sound engine, and then port over the songs which were made in FamiTracker.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 31, 2015, 10:08:11 am »
Can someone please hack Romancing SaGa 1 so that it's not impossible to play as certain characters? (Seriously, playing as Grey is a nightmare)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: September 01, 2015, 09:48:42 am »
I wonder if one could add Link Between World's magic system to ALL other Zelda games, so there would be no ammo... All magic.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 01, 2015, 01:03:19 pm »
Once I have stopped having flashbacks to Deus Ex Invisible War I will consider that further.

Zelda 1 might be interesting to attempt that for. Others I can see. You would probably approach that to a similar way to hardcoding an infinite life cheat -- find the life value in memory, find the command that subs it, repeat for ammo types, stamina..., alter the subs for each of those to sub the life value instead (possibly with a number alteration if you have 1000 life units but the average ammo count is 5) and depending upon your approach to difficulty you also change the potions/health/pickups to match. If you are feeling really fancy then change the graphics as well, or take the castlevania hearts approach I guess.

So yeah an assembly hack but a slightly longer version of the thing that many will learn to do as their first applied assembly hack.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: September 03, 2015, 09:34:03 am »
Mega Bomberman (Sega Genesis): A color hack that would make the game look more like it's PC Engine counterpart, Bomberman '94.

Street Fighter Zero 3 (Sega Saturn): A hack that would do all this to it:

Add the Sony PSP exclusive characters Eagle, Maki, Ingrid and Yun to this game. But change their sprites and give them all Street Fighter Alpha CPS2 style sprites so they blend in to the roster better.
Change the text to English, but don't switch M. Bison's, Balrog's and Vega's names around. Keep them how they are.
Have the CPU actually use both the Saturn and PSP exclusive characters in Arcade Mode.
You can still continue the game if you get defeated by Vega (M. Bison) instead of getting a instant game over.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:48:41 am by SCD »

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 03, 2015, 02:02:38 pm »
Okay, SCD, now this has finally caught my attention. I need to know, what's your problem with the name swapping for SFII's bosses? You know they did it to avoid problems with Mike Tyson, didn't you?

Also, that name change is ingrained into Street Fighter culture now, why the hell change it back now?

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 03, 2015, 05:44:05 pm »
Okay, SCD, now this has finally caught my attention. I need to know, what's your problem with the name swapping for SFII's bosses? You know they did it to avoid problems with Mike Tyson, didn't you?

Also, that name change is ingrained into Street Fighter culture now, why the hell change it back now?

I can't tell if that comment about Mike Tyson is serious or sarcastic.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 03, 2015, 08:16:08 pm »
I can't tell if that comment about Mike Tyson is serious or sarcastic.

Serious, apparently.

Source: M. Bison; Conception and Development

Quote from: Wikipedia
In Japan, the character is named Vega, derived from the star of the same name. However, during localization of Street Fighter II for the English language market, Capcom's North American branch felt that the name sounded non-threatening to North American audiences for the game's final boss and was more suitable for the Spanish cage fighter Balrog. At this same time another concern arose that the name of another character, Mike Bison, conceived as a parody of real-life boxer Mike Tyson, would be a legal liability for Capcom.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 03, 2015, 10:43:38 pm »
Ken was also given the last name Masters for a toy line, to separate it from Barbie's boyfriend. (IIRC the SFII toys were made by Hasbro and they wanted to avoid a legal problem with their rival Mattel)
I've read that has since been made canon?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018