News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2346042 times)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1980 on: July 14, 2015, 02:16:24 am »
I liked this phrase: "Is there something the requester has to do after a certain amount of time has elapsed (like 72 hours)?"

That rule should be in the OP: "Get your requested hack in less than 72 hours or contact the staff using the link on the left."

If we can institute that rule, I have a number of great ideas I'd like everyone to start working on please!

But in all seriousness, I always saw this thread as the place for all of us who can't tell the difference between a hex editor and excell to come blow off steam about how we can't make the hacks we'd like because we suck at hacking.  I mean, that's the title of the thread pretty much isn't it?  I know I personally enjoy leaving the hard work up to the professionals and just providing feedback myself

But seriously, I have AMAZING Chaos Wars hacks that just need to be made within the next 72 hours if we could get staff on that ASAP.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: July 14, 2015, 04:44:35 am »
I also think the NPC items in Super Mario Kart project started as a suggestion here.
Nope, it was the attention of a separated thread.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1982 on: July 14, 2015, 08:54:47 am »
A separate thread that should have quickly been moved into this one. :)

amerk

• View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: July 14, 2015, 10:15:14 am »
SMB 2 (US) Character Hack Idea:

The US version of Super Mario Bros 2 (for NES) moved itself away from a lot of the other Mario games. Levels aren't linear, no time system, and the game felt more like an adventure that mixed a feeling of SMB and Metroid like exploration.

You even had the ability to select a character to play as for each level, and each one had their own strengths and weaknesses. But therin lies the problem, since quite often you had no idea what the next level would be like, and never had an idea of which character would work best until after you made the selection.

Had you been able to swap characters in and out during the level stages, rather than just at the beginning of each stage, I think it would have been a much more balanced and flavorful experience. Not only would it have solved the issues of coming up to an obstacle that is very difficult to pass with your current character choice, thus creating a situation where you either had to rely on luck or a heavy dose of frustration, it would have felt more like and adventure where all your characters are with you at all times , and allow for some strategy in overcoming specific difficulties.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: July 14, 2015, 11:41:02 am »
I don't think any combination of level+character in SMB2 was impossible (at least from what I remember), and in fact to really beat the original Japanese version you HAD to beat every level with every character.

But I can see how it could make for a nice addition to the game (maybe even a base hack).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: July 14, 2015, 05:06:15 pm »
72 hours is a lot of pressure, man. They don't pay me enough...or at all.  ;)

Someone asked for a Dragonwarrior IV hack recently to make leveling up easier. I could do that one in five minutes. But, I'm not gonna. Because that's not a hack. That's a cheat code. Do a google search for "Game genie codes" and "Dragon warrior iv".

There's 2 reasons these ideas don't get made. 1.There are 10 times more ideas than people willing to do them. 2.Like the dw4 example, they just aren't good enough ideas. No offense.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: July 14, 2015, 07:56:55 pm »
1.  No one asked the people to come here and post their ideas. They personally opted to come and tell what awesome game/hack they want made. There was no open-call and then a back-handed response telling them to GTFO. I wouldn't join a website for Mac developers and ask for a Windows port, now would I? No. I knew it was a forum for Mac developers when I came in the door. I chose to enter that community despite having none of the skills or shared interests.

2.  I'm sorry, but I just can't buy the "I use Linux, so..." Unless you specially bought a machine which came with Linux, then it was your choice to install a (like it or not) non-traditional OS. Now, if it was OSX on a Mac, that's another story. But Linux is something you had to make the conscious choice to install, accepting that you would have some inconveniences to deal with occasionally. Not being able to use certain applications is one of those inconveniences I assume you chose to accept.

Yeah it is my choice but what isn't my choice is the lack of resources to make a ROM hack. So if I'm just in here posting ideas that's why. Also what isn't my choice is the lack of options. The only options are "Use Windows 8,  have to deal with spyware/viruses and have 10 scanners to eradicate something that will be a pain to get rid of, deal with unproductivity and the unholy mess of an interface and yeah you're able to use SOME tools OR use Linux and be stuck with next to nothing." So ok I chose the latter and that's because of the options being few and far between. Linux support for most software is getting there, it just needs some more time.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: July 14, 2015, 08:19:25 pm »
Linux support for most software is getting there, it just needs some more time.
1997 2016 will be the year of the Linux desktop.
There has to be a better life.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: July 14, 2015, 11:37:39 pm »
I'm just gawking at the ideas here. I mean, seriously? Demand the idea to be used in 72 hours?

Those people RARELY decide to use any ideas here (especially because they don't have the time and/or WE ARE NOT THEIR PATRONS), and you want a rule to FORCE IT ON THEM?

I've learned my lession with my own ranting. You should learn yours.

I know it sounds rude, but that's the truth. If someone picks one of my ideas (such as the Thunder Slash fix for FFIX), I'll be grateful from the bottom of my heart, but it's quite rude to try and force someone to pull a trick on your idea for you.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:48:52 pm by Zero Dozer »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1989 on: July 14, 2015, 11:44:21 pm »
@johnny
You don't have to be a baseball player to be a baseball fan. I don't believe anyone here's suggested otherwise. No need to make excuses. It is a relatively fruitless hobby compared to the amount of time that gets sunken into it. I wouldn't suggest anyone new to the hobby actually pursue it instead of other pursuits.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: July 15, 2015, 12:30:26 am »
I'm just gawking at the ideas here. I mean, seriously? Demand the idea to be used in 72 hours?

Those people RARELY decide to use any ideas here (especially because they don't have the time and/or WE ARE NOT THEIR PATRONS), and you want a rule to FORCE IT ON THEM?

I've learned my lession with my own ranting. You should learn yours.

I know it sounds rude, but that's the truth. If someone picks one of my ideas (such as the Thunder Slash fix for FFIX), I'll be grateful from the bottom of my heart, but it's quite rude to try and force someone to pull a trick on your idea for you.

mz was being sarcastic. He has put forth a fair share of advice, but not knowing this I could see how his words could be misconstrued. Regardless, I thought it was humorous at least.

This is an interesting thread and some ideas have been clicking in my head from it, but yes. This is a place to put down spur of the moment ideas, rather than a long blueprint for a workable hack. (Unless that blueprint actually contains some useful knowledge to the goal)

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: July 15, 2015, 02:00:43 am »
mz was being sarcastic. He has put forth a fair share of advice, but not knowing this I could see how his words could be misconstrued. Regardless, I thought it was humorous at least.

This is an interesting thread and some ideas have been clicking in my head from it, but yes. This is a place to put down spur of the moment ideas, rather than a long blueprint for a workable hack. (Unless that blueprint actually contains some useful knowledge to the goal)

I couldn't know he was being sarcastic. But that is what I think on it.

I wish I could learn on ROM Hacking and be like you guys, honestly. At least I could solve the problems I find on some games.

Interesting, because most of my ideas here were about fixing game-breaking bugs and glitches.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: July 15, 2015, 02:17:09 am »
Interesting, because most of my ideas here were about fixing game-breaking bugs and glitches.

Ahem... and those yes. Eh heh. Something must have slipped my mind. Those are some of the most important matters brought to bear and the most likely to be accepted.

daveeejones

• View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: July 15, 2015, 02:52:26 am »
Hack Idea:

Let me know if any of these have already been done :D

ROM hacks for compatibility with NES clone consoles.

For example Battletoads level 2 freezes on a typical clone console, could a ROM hack make it compatible?

Another example would be Castlevania III, which does not work at all on a basic clone console, could a ROM hack fix this?

How difficult would that be to hack those? :D

Also, possibly a Zelda ROM hack with a password system instead of dealing with battery save issues  :D

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:06:10 am by daveeejones »

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: July 15, 2015, 03:27:11 am »
ROM hacks for compatibility with NES clone consoles.

You realize that you'll need to spend MORE money on a flash cart to play the hacked roms on your broken NES clone, right? You could just spend that money on a better NES clone... or hell, a real unit.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:57 pm »
@johnny
You don't have to be a baseball player to be a baseball fan. I don't believe anyone here's suggested otherwise. No need to make excuses. It is a relatively fruitless hobby compared to the amount of time that gets sunken into it. I wouldn't suggest anyone new to the hobby actually pursue it instead of other pursuits.

Thanks man and I also do appreciate all your help every time I asked for it :).

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: July 16, 2015, 10:21:03 am »
I think a really great idea would be to overhaul Castlevania III in such a way as to play all stages in the game instead of branching paths, AND be able to switch between all 4 characters by end game. It would include all 4 of them in the ending as well.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: July 16, 2015, 03:34:47 pm »
How about reworking "The Mysterious Murasame Castle" into a new 2D Zelda game?

daveeejones

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: July 16, 2015, 10:25:15 pm »
You realize that you'll need to spend MORE money on a flash cart to play the hacked roms

Yes  :)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:32:59 pm by daveeejones »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: July 16, 2015, 10:57:40 pm »
I don't see why people even bother with clone systems. Aren't there 10s of thousands of real NES consoles on ebay for cheap ALL of the time? They made millions of these things, right?
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...