News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2330421 times)

MithrandirOlorin

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1960 on: July 08, 2015, 09:28:30 pm »
I'd almost forgotten, related to the Mario is Missing and Time Machine idea, I'd also thought about remaking the story of Wand of Gamelon as a hack of a game that's actually good.  Zelda II would be ideal since that's what those crappy games were trying to recreate.  But I have a feeling making a Zeld a sprite playable would be easier with an overhead game, not sure why I think that I just do,?  Would be that be wrong?

The two RPG ideas I'm still thinking over are an NES role playing Mario RPG, and a SNES Zelda RPG.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: July 09, 2015, 12:47:21 am »
Editing a sprite is no more easy nor difficult on an overhead sprite than a side-view one. They are essentially the same.

Dachimotsu

• View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: July 09, 2015, 01:01:57 am »
Hi, everyone! I made this account specifically to make one request.
Could someone hack Dragon Warrior IV on the NES with the following changes?:

-Enemies give quadruple the experience and gold (cuts down the intense grinding these games are known for)
-Characters and bosses have the correct names (from the DS remake, preferably)

Those are the only changes I want, and the XP one is the only one that's particularly necessary. If anyone is interested in making this and needs a list of the character's names, I can provide them.

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: July 10, 2015, 06:59:24 am »
With all the re-translation hacks for Simon's Quest and other Engrish ridden games, i'm suprised to see no re-translations for the original Legend of Zelda, which have some really cryptic engrish in it (Eastmost Peninsula is the Secret for an exemple)

So a text/re-translation clean up patch for Legeng of Zelda with hints that actually makes senser, would be a nice project.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: July 10, 2015, 05:45:54 pm »
After listening to the uncompressed version of the Goldeneye 007 soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud16_ptL90Y

I want to see a hack for Goldeneye 007 that would increase the memory space of the rom from 12MB to 64MB so both the music and sound effects can be uncompressed and it would also restore the four Bond actors for the Multiplayer mode, the blood spatter effect, the multiplayer versions of the Statue and Cradle levels and a completed version of the lost Citadel level as well: https://tcrf.net/GoldenEye_007_%28Nintendo_64%29
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:42:31 am by SCD »

gamearkader

• View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: July 11, 2015, 12:14:56 am »
Hi, I'm new. I signed up to check out some kool and unusual hacks. I got an Everdrive 64 to try them on real hardware, so if anyone wants me to be a 'guinea pig' to test them let me know. With that said, has anyone attempted to hack Killer Instinct Gold to re-add the combo announcing voice back in? I was a little disappointed back in the day when the cut that voice (Triple, Super, Hyper etc. combos). Would that be difficult to implement? Thanks for all the hard work you guys do on your mods and hacks!

Dachimotsu

• View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 12, 2015, 02:14:24 pm »
So, just outta curiosity, how are these hack requests usually handled? Like, will the requester be contacted by someone who's interested? Will the latter just do it and not notify the requester? Is there something the requester has to do after a certain amount of time has elapsed (like 72 hours)?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: July 12, 2015, 02:16:19 pm »
So, just outta curiosity, how are these hack requests usually handled? Like, will the requester be contacted by someone who's interested? Will the latter just do it and not notify the requester? Is there something the requester has to do after a certain amount of time has elapsed (like 72 hours)?

I think most of them just get ignored. Not to sound too harsh, but I think of this as being like the septic tank of the forums.

Not to say that there are not some good ideas here (there are), but I think by and large this serves as a place for lots of people who have nothing to offer the community to come and make requests so as to not clog the board up with stuff that will never amount to anything.

Sorry if that sounds overly cynical.

But to answer you question as best I can, I guess it depends on the person. If it were me personally and I used someone else's idea I would give them credit. I wouldn't see the need to ask for permission though. I assume that by posting ideas in such a thread there's a sort of "come and get it" mentality in place.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 02:32:22 pm by SunGodPortal »
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: July 12, 2015, 03:01:39 pm »
Simply because most members are from USA and this console sold very bad there.

Weirdly enough, it's the same for the Genesis / MD whereas the console sold quite well. I suppose it's because Genesis players were attracted by the console for its western games, and are not really fond of the unstranslated games (mainly RPGs and strategy).

I know Sega Master System wasn't even nearly as popular as NES but there are really some amazing games that if hacked could be some amazing hacks. Especially with the FM sound system. Zillion, Wonderboy in Monster World, Quartet and many others lay neglected as people work on their 33rd Castlevania or Metroid hacks. I guess even so they don't even have an interest in playing some of those games and finding an appreciation and love for them. Its a shame too. I'm even sure you could probably do more in certain ways with a Sega Master System hack than an NES hack.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: July 13, 2015, 02:52:02 am »
I'm more into Megadrive than SMS but I wholeheartedly agree.

I plan to port Wonderboy 2 & 3 to the Megadrive (my favourites in the saga).

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: July 13, 2015, 03:08:13 am »
Starting Pokémon Gold/Silver in Kanto instead of Johto to make Johto more challenging after having all Kanto badges to prepare you for it.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: July 13, 2015, 06:19:55 am »
Iwata's recent passing inspired me to ask to convert Hello Kitty World into an NES version of Balloon Kid.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 13, 2015, 08:33:16 pm »
I think most of them just get ignored. Not to sound too harsh, but I think of this as being like the septic tank of the forums.

Not to say that there are not some good ideas here (there are), but I think by and large this serves as a place for lots of people who have nothing to offer the community to come and make requests so as to not clog the board up with stuff that will never amount to anything.

Sorry if that sounds overly cynical.

But to answer you question as best I can, I guess it depends on the person. If it were me personally and I used someone else's idea I would give them credit. I wouldn't see the need to ask for permission though. I assume that by posting ideas in such a thread there's a sort of "come and get it" mentality in place.

Maybe its not our fault that we have nothing to offer.Just trying to do graphics hacks alone is frustrating especially on Linux. The only thing I could say is that if you want to solve that problem, help give people a purpose around here. Otherwise ignoring the problem won't make it go away. If its that annoying enough, then the people who know what they are doing will graciously teach the people who don't know what they are doing and have the patience to sit and assist people as much as they possibly can. All I can say is complaining about something like that just isn't helping.

Sorry if I'm coming off challenging to what you say but if I have a skill and the time to teach someone who asks, I usually don't mind volunteering my time rather than telling someone "Figure it out yourself idiot" and then complaining when they don't understand it and when they resort to making suggestions rather than their own projects because they don't know how.

What do you expect? I mean would you ask a musician to become a doctor? No they need to be taught HOW to be a doctor. Same way I feel about romhacking. I don't think its fair to ask people to butcher code without knowing what they are doing. Its setting them up for failure.

Not to mention if you read a howto document on ASM, NSF Music creation or even using a program like Tile Molester for everyone  on the first, second or third tries with no help whatsoever they aren't like "Oh Eureka! I understand everything!" it doesn't come so easily for everyone.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:40:24 pm by johnny »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1973 on: July 13, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »
So, just outta curiosity, how are these hack requests usually handled?

The thing is that this is actually not a request thread. There is no request thread. This is an idea dumping ground. Have an idea? Dump it here.

If you're lucky, and the idea is interesting enough, it might spark some light discussion.

The odd chance that someone will actually share the interest, have the know-how, and put forth the work is very low. Less than a very small handful of these ideas have come to fruition.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 13, 2015, 09:25:46 pm »
Maybe its not our fault that we have nothing to offer.Just trying to do graphics hacks alone is frustrating especially on Linux. The only thing I could say is that if you want to solve that problem, help give people a purpose around here. Otherwise ignoring the problem won't make it go away. If its that annoying enough, then the people who know what they are doing will graciously teach the people who don't know what they are doing and have the patience to sit and assist people as much as they possibly can. All I can say is complaining about something like that just isn't helping.

1.  No one asked the people to come here and post their ideas. They personally opted to come and tell what awesome game/hack they want made. There was no open-call and then a back-handed response telling them to GTFO. I wouldn't join a website for Mac developers and ask for a Windows port, now would I? No. I knew it was a forum for Mac developers when I came in the door. I chose to enter that community despite having none of the skills or shared interests.

2.  I'm sorry, but I just can't buy the "I use Linux, so..." Unless you specially bought a machine which came with Linux, then it was your choice to install a (like it or not) non-traditional OS. Now, if it was OSX on a Mac, that's another story. But Linux is something you had to make the conscious choice to install, accepting that you would have some inconveniences to deal with occasionally. Not being able to use certain applications is one of those inconveniences I assume you chose to accept.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: July 13, 2015, 10:31:46 pm »

Sorry if I'm coming off challenging to what you say but if I have a skill and the time to teach someone who asks, I usually don't mind volunteering my time rather than telling someone "Figure it out yourself idiot" and then complaining when they don't understand it and when they resort to making suggestions rather than their own projects because they don't know how.

What do you expect? I mean would you ask a musician to become a doctor? No they need to be taught HOW to be a doctor. Same way I feel about romhacking. I don't think its fair to ask people to butcher code without knowing what they are doing. Its setting them up for failure.

Not to mention if you read a howto document on ASM, NSF Music creation or even using a program like Tile Molester for everyone  on the first, second or third tries with no help whatsoever they aren't like "Oh Eureka! I understand everything!" it doesn't come so easily for everyone.

Somehow I get the feeling you've misinterpreted what I've said or have added something along the way. I offered my opinion and beliefs about this thread, I didn't say that was law or that this is a place for noobs to come and die, out of the way of the "real" hackers. I called it the septic tank because while there are occasionally some good ideas here, much of it is just waste that will never amount to anything. I ASSUME that this thread exists so that the site doesn't get clogged up with threads like "You know what would be cool? *insert variable here* I wish somebody would do that because I can't.". I actually see this thread as a good thing.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: July 14, 2015, 12:12:38 am »
Pizza Time, hack of Burger Time. I just finished it last week. Where did I get the idea? Well, TV. But also, this thread. Page 96. I tried to notify the original person who said, "someone should hack burger time" but he's mysteriously disappeared. So. For all the doubters, these ideas do occasionally get made.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: July 14, 2015, 12:42:34 am »
Pizza Time, hack of Burger Time. I just finished it last week. Where did I get the idea? Well, TV. But also, this thread. Page 96. I tried to notify the original person who said, "someone should hack burger time" but he's mysteriously disappeared. So. For all the doubters, these ideas do occasionally get made.

Yeah I remember when that was suggested. That was one of those times when I thought "Why didn't I think of that?". LOL

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1978 on: July 14, 2015, 12:47:47 am »
I've still got a Shogi in the works, sitting at 90% complete on my PC, sparked by an idea from here. I also think the NPC items in Super Mario Kart project started as a suggestion here.

But, I think if the eventual successor to this thread were to start off with something along the lines of "all ideas are welcomed and encouraged, but this is not a request thread. Do not expect others to share your interests or follow through with them." then posters would be less likely to repost, wondering why no one's done their bidding.

In fact; if we were to dig through the 100 pages of this thread, make a list of links of projects started by suggestions here, and compare it to the number of ideas proposed, it could make a mighty fine OP.

That said, I enjoy reading this thread, even if the "insert x character into y game, convert x game into demake/port of y game, and alter extremely specific aspect of some RPG" do tend to bore the daylights out of me. :)

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: July 14, 2015, 01:30:25 am »
I liked this phrase: "Is there something the requester has to do after a certain amount of time has elapsed (like 72 hours)?"

That rule should be in the OP: "Get your requested hack in less than 72 hours or contact the staff using the link on the left."
There has to be a better life.