News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1426229 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1640 on: December 21, 2014, 01:28:13 am »
That seems awfully melodramatic. The situation seems very simple. You misunderstood the purpose of the thread. You thought it was for requests, when really it was just a dumping ground for ideas. It's an easy misunderstanding to make, as someone tends to come along every few months and makes it. (Perhaps a mod could edit the now abandoned OP to reflect this).

However, I can't imagine how realizing this mistake would illicit an emotional response. Everyone has hobbies, man.

Imagine this same discussion (a fan of a hobby posts an idea for a project, and then gets upset that no one takes their own time and effort to produce said project) occurring within a forum for, say, handcrafting fly fishing lures, and I'm sure you'll realize how unnecessary an emotional response is in the situation.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: December 21, 2014, 05:12:31 am »
I am useless as a member if I'm not a hacker myself, it seems.
Not everybody here is a programmer. There's people who simply use editors that other people created to reshape or rebalance games. There's translators. There's artists. And then there's people who contribute with ideas, support or even constructive criticism. I'm sure you've covered at least one of these points sometimes.

There's people in this community that simply registered to show their support for a hack and after some time managed to contribute with their own work. Maybe you'll become one of those.

Back on topic, it came to my attention recently that the PSX game Gundam Battle Assault 2 has 4 charaters / suits that can only be accessed via gameshark codes, probably dropped from the final game to avoid paying for their license (all of them belong to the Zeta Gundam series). Seeing that there's hacks to enable secret characters for other games, like in Mortal Kombat, I was wondering how difficult it would be to expand the roster to enable selecting them normally.

Other than that, the game suffers from many other flaws, like lots of typos in pre-battle text, extremely lazy writing and one of the saddest voice works I've seen in a fighting game.

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: December 23, 2014, 02:18:04 am »
Ok, how about this?

Changing Dragon Quest 6 fan translation font to the default Dragon Warrior NES font or the Seiken Densetsu 3 fan translation font to default US release Secret of Mana font.

edit: Id do it myself but the font seems to be compressed.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: December 23, 2014, 07:06:44 pm »
Not everybody here is a programmer. There's people who simply use editors that other people created to reshape or rebalance games. There's translators. There's artists. And then there's people who contribute with ideas, support or even constructive criticism. I'm sure you've covered at least one of these points sometimes.

There's people in this community that simply registered to show their support for a hack and after some time managed to contribute with their own work. Maybe you'll become one of those.

I pretty much did just that. I joined the community to get or show support of some game hacks and translations. Then I decided to learn what I could and gathered what I could to make my own. We all have different talents and skill sets, but sometimes something as simple as a review of a hack is contribution enough. This thread specifically is basically a brainstorming topic to give fresh ideas to those WITH the skills, but does not mean that anyone will take the ball and roll with it. However, I'm sure anything is possible.

Back on topic, with Roll-Chan bringing some excitement back to Mega Man, I'd like to see all 6 NES Mega Man games made on the SNES using Mega Man 7 or Mega Man & Bass as a template.

I'd also like to see someone try adding the fatalities back into SNES Mortal Kombat. I know in this day and age we have MAME, and MK Arcade Kollection, but I think its overdue.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: December 23, 2014, 10:03:46 pm »
Back on topic, with Roll-Chan bringing some excitement back to Mega Man, I'd like to see all 6 NES Mega Man games made on the SNES using Mega Man 7 or Mega Man & Bass as a template.

This intrigues me. Hearing Charge Man's theme redone in the Mega Man 7 style would be sublime.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: December 24, 2014, 05:55:44 pm »
I agree. It would be pretty cool. The amount of work that would be needed seems pretty overwhelming when I think about it though.

TheCape

• View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: December 26, 2014, 09:26:22 am »

I'd also like to see someone try adding the fatalities back into SNES Mortal Kombat. I know in this day and age we have MAME, and MK Arcade Kollection, but I think its overdue.

Heck, I would love to see MM7 and MM8 redone in the NES version. Get all 10 of them in the same style and breakdown.

Likely impossible, but having all 10 games (and Vs Street Fighter?) into one large game with all the powers could be crazy. Could be a long long long game with 80+ robot masters and powers.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: December 26, 2014, 12:14:39 pm »
It would be sweet if someone used the Famicom release of Battletoads as a basis for a improvement hack of the US original

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: December 26, 2014, 02:48:28 pm »
I spoke about this before, but I feel I need to talk about it again!  ;D

The Rushing Beat Trilogy on the Snes, a great brawler trilogy with an ongoing storyline.
Sadly the localizations butchered the feel of the games, storylines and names and even art got changed.
the end result are three games that despite originally sharing one story now all seem like different games.

My suggestion would be to re-translate all three, and since they are brawlers they have a very small amount
of text inside them, though the third game does have a bit more then the others. but even then the amount
of text is very little when compared to the average RPG.

A great brawler series that imo deserves a 2nd chance at shining.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: December 26, 2014, 10:29:14 pm »
Heck, I would love to see MM7 and MM8 redone in the NES version.

These two already exist as fan games for PC. Look for "Rockman 7 FC" and "Rockman 8 FC".

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: December 27, 2014, 04:23:39 pm »
These two already exist as fan games for PC. Look for "Rockman 7 FC" and "Rockman 8 FC".

On PC = NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

Seriously though, theres something much more magical about being able to play a game on actual hardware if you wanted to (even if you never intend to).

Plus, Rockman 7 FC doesn't even have proper controller support.

edit: and BOTH dont have proper fullscreen support.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: December 27, 2014, 10:24:45 pm »
Joy2Key is your controller support.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 28, 2014, 01:49:47 am »
Hey, how about a hack or code that removes all the music from Mega Man 2 for Game Boy?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 28, 2014, 08:10:51 am »
Or pitch everything down one or two octaves so it's not as horribly shrill.

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: December 28, 2014, 04:15:07 pm »
While probably pointless, it would be cool if someone hacked Probotector's (the european version of Contra: Hard Corps for the Genesis) title screen to include the word "Mega" in it. That way, it could be easily distinguished from the other ones with the same name (NES, Game Boy), not to mention that the word Mega would make an already badass game (it was already badass to begin with, but having playable android characters made it even more badass imo) even more badass.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #1655 on: December 28, 2014, 08:28:00 pm »
Hey, how about a hack or code that removes all the music from Mega Man 2 for Game Boy?
Um, why would you remove it? You can simply disable the sound with an emulator.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: December 28, 2014, 09:03:34 pm »
Probably to play their own music in the background while retaining the SFX.  There's A LOT of requests like this for games actually.  No music but SFX are in tact.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1657 on: December 28, 2014, 09:15:40 pm »
I did like it when games had the ability to disable BGM when I was a kid for that purpose exactly.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: December 29, 2014, 02:40:54 am »
It's always good to have more options even if their usefulness isn't readily apparent.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #1659 on: December 29, 2014, 02:47:53 am »
It would be interesting to see a hack for the first Shining Force game released on the Mega Drive/Sega Genesis which would stop the characters' stats from going down after getting promoted like in the second game. The only hack available for this game is one with full cheats or something like that, which I'm not very interested in.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)