News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1192814 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1500 on: October 06, 2014, 04:52:13 am »
Hmm, you are not the first person to want to speed up FFTA, indeed it is probably the main time I cover how to speed up games on real hardware when talking about the GBA/DS. It likely even beats out pokemon and that franchise has a whole thing with emulator users speeding up the game.

Most of what you describe is within the limits of the system but all of them will probably require fiddling with assembly, main exceptions being if the game has a new game plus mode where you can skip scenes (it will probably then have a value in memory, find this and activate it for the normal game with a cheat or something) and on rare occasions if the text has a selectable speed (again it will have a value in memory, sometimes it takes this value and uses it to speed things up -- as in slow, normal, fast being 0,1 and 2 in memory, you change this value to 3 and suddenly it is even faster).
If the game has fully canned animations then you might be able to edit things that way. For the GBA I very much doubt this happened; such things tend to happen more for high level PC games or games using 3d models and 3d hardware. If it has said animations you might also be able to copy-paste the short animations over the longer ones but again I do not expect that to be the case with this game.

Also as it seems to be missing from the RHDN database you might also like
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/65-final-fantasy-tactics-advance-x/

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 06, 2014, 01:34:44 pm »
Well yeah sounds like its lots of work. There is this post: http://devster.proboards.com/thread/613 where a guy ported Super Mario Bros. over to the Sega Genesis hardware. No NES game has been ported since. Still I guess I would have thought porting a Game Boy/Game Boy Color game to the Genesis would have been easier than porting a NES game. Though yes I know it would def be much easier to make a game from scratch than to port an existing game to another console. Possibly, even over intense ASM Rom hacking especially with Ouya and other tools given to make games now a days. Then again I suppose there will always be big enthusiasts who like a challenge.

I wonder if anyone has still kinda thought about an NES game ported to Sega Genesis. I know its a tough challenge but as I said before if it can be done with Super Mario Bros. I'm sure it could be done with other NES titles. Especially considering there's a disassembly of Metroid available right on this site. Without the limitations of the NES hardware, the Metroid world could be significantly expanded and make for a pretty damn good customized hack.

Negative Hippie

• View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: October 06, 2014, 05:04:41 pm »
Hmm, you are not the first person to want to speed up FFTA, indeed it is probably the main time I cover how to speed up games on real hardware when talking about the GBA/DS. It likely even beats out pokemon and that franchise has a whole thing with emulator users speeding up the game.

Most of what you describe is within the limits of the system but all of them will probably require fiddling with assembly, main exceptions being if the game has a new game plus mode where you can skip scenes (it will probably then have a value in memory, find this and activate it for the normal game with a cheat or something) and on rare occasions if the text has a selectable speed (again it will have a value in memory, sometimes it takes this value and uses it to speed things up -- as in slow, normal, fast being 0,1 and 2 in memory, you change this value to 3 and suddenly it is even faster).
If the game has fully canned animations then you might be able to edit things that way. For the GBA I very much doubt this happened; such things tend to happen more for high level PC games or games using 3d models and 3d hardware. If it has said animations you might also be able to copy-paste the short animations over the longer ones but again I do not expect that to be the case with this game.

Also as it seems to be missing from the RHDN database you might also like
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/65-final-fantasy-tactics-advance-x/

I see, that's very interesting. Thank you for the explanation and the link! So the short of it is that this kind of thing typically necessitates the existence of the function in the data (like the skip in a New Game + mode)? Not that I'm suggesting it, but would someone be able to manually change the animations and animation time manually? At this point I'm more asking out of curiosity. I don't think I'd ever get into making ROM hacks myself, but learning what goes into making them is interesting.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: October 06, 2014, 06:09:37 pm »
Yeah the really easy methods are when the game has functions that you can push that little bit further, or otherwise abuse. Not so many games have these though, mind you life is getting better and I am seeing increasing amounts of games with such options.

"manually change the animations and animation time"

Most GBA 2d animation is done via the so called OAM (or the rough equivalents in the BG part of the setup). It allows you to choose the locations of sprites on the screen and which one is displayed. Swap between two or more different ones (I am sure you have seen a spritesheet before) and move them at the same time and I am sure you can see how animation happens.
The game will tend to run a loop like add 2 px each time, once the total added/position = blah then stop/make sure you are on rest sprite. You can change this to be 4 px each time with relative ease (you watch the OAM that handles this, that will give you the instruction that did the deed and then you move backwards from there, though you will probably not need to do a lot), the trouble tends to come in that the game functions are not built to handle oddities like you would be introducing there. For instance it costs you or I no great amount of brainpower to tell over 20 but it is still quicker for a computer to tell if something equals something rather than is greater than, the C family of programming languages (which the GBA mainly used) separating things well enough here. You change the "add 2 to location" function to "add 4 to location" and suddenly the part of the function that checks to see if something equals 18 is going to go into a massive loop. You might not have this and it is easy enough to figure out otherwise. Alternatively you can make it jump directly to the location you want; in FFTA you probably only care about the grid, make it jump a grid tile every time rather than the full animation and the game should hopefully sort itself.

The third and absolute hackjob method is fiddle with vblanks and interrupts there. In the GBA, and most other systems have fairly similar functions, then 60 times a second there is a v(ertical) blank of the screen and the processor moves to handling things set to happen then, strictly speaking this is the only time you should update the screen for a lot of things. By changing what waits for a vblank to something that happens more often (60 times a second is 60Hz, even on something as lowly as the GBA we are still dealing in megaHertz (millions per second)) then things tend to happen faster. The graphics will probably break, it is not unlikely that the game will crash, the console may explode, the Ninja King may sense something is wrong and kill you to put it right... generally it is bad news, I mention it mainly to be more complete. Mind you the game might also count the vblanks between animations (60 times a second is still very fast for a lot of animations after all), if you can change how this count operates (once every 20 do animation becomes once every 10) you can also do good stuff.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: October 07, 2014, 12:50:27 am »
I've stated before that I'd like to see Mega Man I-V for the Gameboy remade using the NES games as a base, but I'd like to see that done with other Gameboy games as well.

Castlevania Adventure I & II and Legends redone using Castlevania III as base could work.

Redo Operation C with NES Super C.

Remake Super Mario Land with Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Land 2 with Super Mario 3.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #1505 on: October 07, 2014, 08:09:57 am »
Yes, MMIII-V, SML and Belmont's Revenge on NES would be cool to see! The SNES might be a better fit for SML2 though I'd imagine.

No thorough ideas for it yet as I'm playing it for the first time, but is anyone doing any hacking work on Final Fantasy 3 (NES)? A run button or sped up walking would be nice for starters. Maybe more detailed info around skill points and equipment could be done as well.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: October 07, 2014, 11:51:10 pm »
The problem with hacking CV3 is that the level scrolling isn't well documented.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: October 08, 2014, 04:42:13 pm »
No thorough ideas for it yet as I'm playing it for the first time, but is anyone doing any hacking work on Final Fantasy 3 (NES)? A run button or sped up walking would be nice for starters.

If I read correctly, http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1590/ includes that.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #1508 on: October 08, 2014, 09:26:06 pm »
That looks great, thanks.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 08, 2014, 10:21:40 pm »
Hack one or two of the GBA Fire Emblem games into remakes of Path of Radiance and/or Radiant Dawn.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: October 09, 2014, 10:28:28 pm »
Turn any LJN title into a playable game.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: October 10, 2014, 03:59:12 am »
Edit NES Little Mac's face to match his updated Wii one.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: October 10, 2014, 02:13:19 pm »
Turn any LJN title into a playable game.
OBJECTION!
You are one of those who watch too much AVGN, aren't you? LJN never developed a thing, they only published games that Nintendo didn't want to. But, you see... Even AVGN confirmed there IS a good game published by LJN on SNES.

One LJN game that would be better played with one or two changes would be that Alien game for NES. Changes being: Extra Time and swap A and B.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: October 10, 2014, 07:25:13 pm »
If I read correctly, http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1590/ includes that.

I'd like to see Final Fantasy III (J) remade using Final Fantasy V.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: October 11, 2014, 12:57:41 am »
LJN never developed a thing, they only published games that Nintendo didn't want to.

HOLD IT!

LJN was just a publisher, plain and simple.  Nintendo only gave them the license to publish games, and it was not Nintendo's responsibility to publish and market games for third parties.  That's just Iwata's Nintendo showing their equivalent of white guilt for what they did 30 years ago in hopes of getting back third party support.  It's not working.

That said, a 'bad' game is purely subjective.  Most of LJN's games were playable and could be completed.  Were they good games?  It depends on the game and on the person playing them.  However, the aptly named Uncanny X-Men is what I'd call a terrible game.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: October 11, 2014, 03:39:31 pm »
HOLD IT!

LJN was just a publisher, plain and simple.  Nintendo only gave them the license to publish games, and it was not Nintendo's responsibility to publish and market games for third parties.  That's just Iwata's Nintendo showing their equivalent of white guilt for what they did 30 years ago in hopes of getting back third party support.  It's not working.

That said, a 'bad' game is purely subjective.  Most of LJN's games were playable and could be completed.  Were they good games?  It depends on the game and on the person playing them.  However, the aptly named Uncanny X-Men is what I'd call a terrible game.

True indeed.... Very subjective. The example I used of Alien 3 for NES could kinda count. The game itself was playable and somewhat enjoyable, but too damn hard to make it to everyone in time AND escape the level. Took Nintendo Hard to a whole new level: You had to map your entire route.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 11, 2014, 09:57:19 pm »
I would like to see a hack for the N64 version of Resident Evil 2 that fixes these two issues:

Make the voice acting in this version crystal clear sounding once again and not sounding like their gurgling on water.
Fix the character models to make them more like their PSX counterparts because some of the character models in this version look weird looking, especially Leon.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: October 13, 2014, 03:20:42 pm »
I don't know quite well if this can be done, but I have a modding/hacking idea for Final Fantasy VIII: Get Seifer and Edea playable for good in Disc 4.

To get them on par with the other six characters, there would be customizable weapons for them, and their Limit Breaks could be expanded, so they don't end up useless compared to the others. For example, Seifer's Fire Cross would have his four trademark moves, would develop as he kills enemies, and would able to break the damage limit (something that only the GF Eden and Quistis' Shockwave Pulsar are able to do when you don't have a Pocketstation or you're not in the PC version for Boko). Also, the quests to call them to your party. I could even give some ideas on this.

I know it's impractical, but it must be as sure as possible.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: October 14, 2014, 02:17:38 pm »
You would have problems to implement it :
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15538.0

Also, you would have to rethink the way Ultimecia's Castle gameplay works, because it is important there to have exactly 6 characters to have 2 teams of 3. That's a problem arising even if you don't fanfiction his recruitment.
Quote from: Unmon
This staff of mine has transformed itself into a dragon and has swallowed up the universe! Oh, where are the rivers and mountains and the great earth?

EliteAnax17

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 14, 2014, 06:05:18 pm »
Hello; this is EliteAnax17 from the r/twitchplayspokemon community and head of Project Revolution - the project to bring PBR (Pokemon Battle Revolution) to TPP.

We've got the hacking of PBR covered since its a Wii game and therefore newer.. but we'd like to posit an idea on how to end TPP's run of Stadium 2.

The short answer is that we want to see if its possible to change a trainer in the Gym Leader Castle challenge's team, specifically Red's. You probably get where we're all going with this: Change Red's team to Red's team from TPP Red.

Can anyone do this for the Pokemon Stadium 2 (U) [!] ROM?