News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1194804 times)

TimeCop

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1400 on: August 21, 2014, 08:52:55 am »
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for the SNES isn't that bad. I bet with a lot of romhacking it could be as good as the NES originals.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49:44 am »
I would like to see a hack for the Sega CD version of Snatcher that restores all the stuff that got censored to make it more like the uncensored PC-Engine CD version.

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 24, 2014, 04:59:20 pm »
I'm probably not the only one who's ever mentioned this, but I'm surprised that I've not seen a Super Metroid hack that has Samus wearing her Zero Suit from Metroid: Zero Mission on GBA. At least, not that I know of anyway. I remember the Justin Bailey one that was done a few years ago, but none of Zero Suit Samus.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 27, 2014, 10:29:55 am »
With all these hacks coming out for Street Fighter II Special Championship Edition, I would like to see a hack that restores the uncensored intro and give Balrog, Vega and M.Bison their original correct names for the American version.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 27, 2014, 12:10:08 pm »
The Enhanced Colors hack makes the guy in the intro black, so "uncensoring" the intro is kind of done:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2090/

The real winner for a Street Fighter II hack imo would be a sprite and palette editor. With the whole Mugen phenomenon it's really surprising nobody gave a shot at this.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 27, 2014, 01:11:51 pm »
Haven't thought about this until now, but someone could develop a patcher for Boktai 1, 2 and 3 that does the following:
1. Scans if the rom is already patched with solar sensor.
1.1. Gives the choice to undo that patch or modify it.
2. Displays a menu where you can set the key combinations for empty, full, add 1, subtract 1 sun level.
3. Checkbox for No Overheat.
4. Checkbox for disabling RTC issue screen (ignores it)
5. Checkbox for Boktai 3 translation (if it doesn't detect the game has been translated, this box will become available)

Reasons for this? How many times have you tried using any L-Button related skill and ended up accidentally triggering an increase/decrease in sun bar?!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 27, 2014, 04:40:42 pm »
Since we do have a Megaman 1 & Megaman 2 SRAM hacks, why not continue with the rest of the sexalogy?
Being able to save in all the original Megaman 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Also, in Megaman 2:
1) An option to be able to detonate the Crash Bomber at will without having to wait (and reduce ammo consumption for this one to avoid the Wily Stage 2 being a pain in the arse) and
2) Same for the Time Stopper, being able to stop it or enable it at will without having it all go out in one button press.
3) Walk with the leaf shield on until you press B again to let it go.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 28, 2014, 12:08:40 am »
One thing that always struck me as weird in the Mortal Kombat games for SNES was the names for the characters where on the outside of the lifebar. I say put them back in, and while at it, rename Rayden back to Raiden!

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 28, 2014, 04:46:40 pm »
This is the game in question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_%281994_video_game%29

On the PAL version (under Option) it's possible to change the player character's walking speed from Normal to Turbo. On Normal, he walks so slowly that it's even bothersome. But on Turbo he becomes much faster, which makes the game more enjoyable (I even think that was supposed to be the default walking speed).

But there's one problem. On the NTSC-U version, they completely removed this feature so you're forced to use the default speed from PAL. That means your character will always move slowly.

Here's a 30 seconds video comparison I made myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bO2YYP-wLU

(Left = PAL on Turbo | Right = NTSC-U)

Basically, I would like to know if someone can hack the NTSC-U version of the game and make the default walking speed THE SAME as the Turbo one from PAL. This is mostly to make it possible playing the game at 60 fps instead of 50 fps. (60 fps isn't possible on PAL games). I have zero knowledge about hacking, so that's why I'm making this request. There's no need give me credit whatsoever. Just being able to play the game this way would already make me happy (and possibly other people as well).

So, that's it. Is someone (anyone) interested?

(EDIT: I really apologize for posting this on the wrong section at first, mods. But I'm glad it was moved to the proper place now. Anyway, I'll be waiting for someone to take my request)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:05:48 pm by Synnae »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 28, 2014, 09:48:36 pm »
This is the game in question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_%281994_video_game%29

On the PAL version (under Option) it's possible to change the player character's walking speed from Normal to Turbo. On Normal, he walks so slowly that it's even bothersome. But on Turbo he becomes much faster, which makes the game more enjoyable (I even think that was supposed to be the default walking speed).

But there's one problem. On the NTSC-U version, they completely removed this feature so you're forced to use the default speed from PAL. That means your character will always move slowly.

Here's a 30 seconds video comparison I made myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bO2YYP-wLU

(Left = PAL on Turbo | Right = NTSC-U)

Basically, I would like to know if someone can hack the NTSC-U version of the game and make the default walking speed THE SAME as the Turbo one from PAL. This is mostly to make it possible playing the game at 60 fps instead of 50 fps. (60 fps isn't possible on PAL games). I have zero knowledge about hacking, so that's why I'm making this request. There's no need give me credit whatsoever. Just being able to play the game this way would already make me happy (and possibly other people as well).

So, that's it. Is someone (anyone) interested?

(EDIT: I really apologize for posting this on the wrong section at first, mods. But I'm glad it was moved to the proper place now. Anyway, I'll be waiting for someone to take my request)

I think that would be failry easy to do by Hex Hacking.
You can try watching the SRAM for anything that changes when the character starts moving, that's your starting point.
After that you must search what is the corresponding address in the main ROM data (not SRAM) that defines the character's speed.
By switching the hex value of the PAL walking speed (let's say it is 09) with the one of the NTSC-U one (let's say it is 07), then the speed will be changed.

I did that with the help of another user in here for a Sonic 1 hack by just Hex editing.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1410 on: August 29, 2014, 12:07:42 am »
Likewise, you could use the PAL version to observe what data is changed when toggling the menu option.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 29, 2014, 12:30:50 am »
So, I saw this piece:

( http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/82857.htm )

And thought: Wouldn't it be amazing if someone did this? Either as a hack for actual SOTN, a NES homebrew or PC game. I'd play it all the way to the very end.

khaz

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 29, 2014, 09:35:16 am »
Hi, the translation of Fushigi no Umi no Nadia / Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water Has a small bug preventing PAL users to enjoy it on real hardware.

It's a dual language translation. When the console is set as Japanese (NTST/Japan), then the text and images are in Japanese, and when the console is set as American (NTSC/English), everything is in English. The problem arises when the console is set as European (PAL/English), the text is completely in Japanese. There must have been some flag that was overlooked when the patch was created.

The first Screen in PAL says NAMCOT FOR SEGA GENESIS like the NTSC/English, but with a thicker font (the Japanese font?). The PAL title screen picture, part of the intro, is in Japanese, but completely reworked in NTSC/English. All the text in PAL is in Japanese. That's the only things I noticed.

The workaround would be to just toggle the English translation when the console is set as a European one. Ideally the first NAMCOT screen would say Mega Drive instead of Genesis.

I would like to create reproduction cartridges for my friends to enjoy this game on unmodded PAL hardware, but it's currently impossible. I hope someone can help me here.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1413 on: August 29, 2014, 11:08:31 am »
Eh. I prefer the buff sword-and-sorcery artsyle of the original Castlevanias to the effeminate anime style seemingly introduced in SotN and used thereafter.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 29, 2014, 12:18:22 pm »
Eh. I prefer the buff sword-and-sorcery artsyle of the original Castlevanias to the effeminate anime style seemingly introduced in SotN and used thereafter.
You do realize the art style of SotN and others is more similar to Amano's art, right? The only TWO that are with anime art are Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. And even so, PoR's art style matched the mood of the game nicely, where DoS didn't.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 29, 2014, 05:45:53 pm »
Here's an idea. I've seen a lot of Sonic 1 hacks where they give Sonic his spin dash from Sonic 2 and even some extra animations from Sonic CD. So, I was wondering... could something like this be done with MegaMan? I mean, port MegaMan's charge shots or slide abilities from MM3 & MM4 to MM2 and MM1?
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 29, 2014, 06:07:55 pm »
Hasn't that been done already?  I swear I've seen some Mega Man 1/2 hacks that added those.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #1417 on: August 29, 2014, 07:02:02 pm »
Hi, the translation of Fushigi no Umi no Nadia / Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water Has a small bug preventing PAL users to enjoy it on real hardware.

It's a dual language translation. When the console is set as Japanese (NTST/Japan), then the text and images are in Japanese, and when the console is set as American (NTSC/English), everything is in English. The problem arises when the console is set as European (PAL/English), the text is completely in Japanese. There must have been some flag that was overlooked when the patch was created.

The first Screen in PAL says NAMCOT FOR SEGA GENESIS like the NTSC/English, but with a thicker font (the Japanese font?). The PAL title screen picture, part of the intro, is in Japanese, but completely reworked in NTSC/English. All the text in PAL is in Japanese. That's the only things I noticed.

The workaround would be to just toggle the English translation when the console is set as a European one. Ideally the first NAMCOT screen would say Mega Drive instead of Genesis.

I would like to create reproduction cartridges for my friends to enjoy this game on unmodded PAL hardware, but it's currently impossible. I hope someone can help me here.

You're right. Weird as it is, the readme does mention English is USA only.

Interesting enough PAL/Japanese in an emulator says Mega Drive with Japanese text.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 29, 2014, 07:44:09 pm »
Here's the source.
I don't know if there's an assembler to insert 68k code into Genesis ROMs, so I actually used a generic 68k assembler and inserted the hex into the ROM manually. So the addresses are almost certainly not correct.
Probably the easiest way is to assemble (hopefully should at least assemble with space between the routines) and find a binary match in the ROM. Should be in the $115000 area.
Of course the $A10001 stuff is what you'd be interested in looking at.
http://pastebin.com/pf2fQtPQ
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 30, 2014, 12:59:55 am »
So, I saw this piece:

( http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/82857.htm )

And thought: Wouldn't it be amazing if someone did this? Either as a hack for actual SOTN, a NES homebrew or PC game. I'd play it all the way to the very end.

HO-LEE ****.

That's some damned fine work.

Seriously, that portrait plus a full sprite sheet of that 8-bit Alucard would be perfect for a future hack of Castlevania III/Akumajou Densetsu.