News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1381702 times)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1100 on: February 27, 2014, 08:43:53 pm »
I didn't mean actual Tile trimming, I meant trimming the entire screen to fit accordingly, namely by re-arranging the menu screen and level layout.  Some games, specifically side scrollers, won't have much problems, but some games like Zelda will suffer tremendously.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 27, 2014, 09:21:02 pm »
Allow for tile trimming is as easy as altering the graphics and having it still look right at the end of it.

Shuffling the menu overlays around is entirely within the realms of what is normally done in hacking (screen real estate issues coming in right behind ROM space, memory space and pointers). Between tile trimming and this you should be able to get most games sorted somewhat acceptably.

Altering the rendering of an entire screen... that is a hack I would truly pay attention to. Under normal circumstances the only times you would see such a thing is if you were hacking a game out of PAL region and into NTSC (there were seldom PAL exclusives or better versions in PAL world enough to warrant that, especially when emulators and mods do what they do), going into it most devs just stuck black bars on the outside and slowed it down (maybe reworked for proper speed it if they were good/not lazy). Some games might take to it well enough but others might have memory arrangements, timings and more determined by it. You would learn so much doing this but I can not see the appeal and if you were doing it for the joy of learning then you would probably have succeeded in just staring at the technical specs and CPU instruction listing.

Indeed I think I would sooner adopt the approach seen in one of the DS megadrive/genesis emulators (I want to say picodrive but it might be the other) and code in something that does some form of windowing (automated or pinned and manually moved) or screen tracking, and that would probably be a pig on the GBA (though you might just be able to render it all off screen if you messed around with some of the background/BG hardware in the GBA). Now if you wanted to learn GBA assembly that would be a good project for it.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 28, 2014, 12:50:39 pm »
Hmm, I see.  Well it was just an idea, a pipe dream though, so it was a curiosity.

Now on the other hand, I would like to hack Shining Force to make Jogurt into the main character.  There's this tool that allows you to edit many aspects of the game, and even has an option that allows Jogurt to level up as opposed to just "leveling up" back to 1.  His stat growth is at 0, and strangely, he is the only character with a 50% resistance to spells, despite only having one HP.  I don't suppose Shining Force depends entirely on the playable character being Max as opposed to anyone else, does it?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 28, 2014, 09:23:18 pm »
I have toyed with Shining Force (megadrive and GBA versions) but not to the level of knowing completely how it ticks, it is a fairly well hacked game so if someone else knows more then pay attention to them instead.

You might get some odd dialogue though if you read it as "lead from the back" then I guess it would still work.

As for being vital to have the game work.... that would depend entirely upon the game and how you hacked it. AI is not quite AI in Shining Force and various things will seek out or avoid certain characters from what I have seen. If you force Jogurt into the lineup then certain scripted events might not work, if they exist at all. If you altered it so the leader character, if there is one in the terms of the game logic, drew from Jogurt's stat progression (hacked or otherwise) and changed whatever portraits, if necessary, then you should be good. Whether you can assign the leader of a battle to be Jogurt remains to be seen, it would quite possibly be easier than the other two options.
How that might alter how some battles work would be a different discussion -- Shining force always seemed to exhibit a subtle type of mechanism design/level design and would almost force you to learn certain strategies and fight in certain ways for certain fights. Maybe too much given this was also the game that gave us random level ups (oh how annoying that is when you get a pittance or worse several times over), but a certain something.

In short yeah that sounds like a reasonable hack, it might go smooth but there are potential obstacles which should also be able to be overcome and in doing so you will learn a bit.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 01, 2014, 01:50:39 am »
My idea for that hack would've been somewhat of a joke retelling of Shining Force, from Jogurt's point of view.  The story would be altered to some extent, and if the game would allow it, and Jogurt would comment on pretty much anything.  Plus he'd start out hilariously weak, only to become hilariously overpowered.  He'd make Domingo and Musashi look like the starter units.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 01, 2014, 10:27:57 am »
Transform Subrosia from Oracle of Seasons to something of a paradise that isn't entirely lava.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 01, 2014, 11:51:15 am »
How about a D-Pad Hack for Star Fox Command that goes like this:
D-Pad : move
A : Boost
B : Brake
Y : Shoot
X : Bomb
L : U-Turn
R : Barrel Roll

And, perhaps to make it a little less frustrating, have another hack that makes the game somewhat easier, by:
1. Removing the Turns Limit (only the limit is essential for the conclusion of the mission)
2. Slowing the time countdown or removing as a whole
3. Giving Great Fox some sort of "HP" (It's ridiculous when you brush by an enemy, it randomly ignores you and goes straight for Great Fox)
3.1 Alternatively, increase enemy's detection radius so they won't just ignore the aircraft that brushed against them.
3.2 Another option: Great Fox starts with one or two missiles.

I guess those are some decent ideas... Someone started on the D-Pad Hack, but I think it "died" somewhere

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 01, 2014, 06:18:05 pm »
There is a dpad hack, it was finished late November 2008. You can even apply them (there are a few different control schemes) as a cheat
http://gbatemp.net/threads/starfox-command-u-d-pad-hack.118663/
One tutorial based around it
http://crackerscrap.com/docs/sfchacktut.html

The others seem like reasonable requests. They might even exist as normal cheats.

@OneCrudeDude a nice little spoof and tweak type hack like that would probably do well for learning with and could make for a nice hack at the end of it.

@Jeville are you talking a basic tile/palette hack or something more in depth?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 01, 2014, 10:12:10 pm »
A palette change using spring/summer and the removal of lava or most of it. Give it grass, trees, water. With the removal of lava, the area will need editing to prevent sequence-breaking. Then replace Subrosians with humans. Temple of Seasons will need editing.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 02, 2014, 09:00:00 am »
In Donkey Kong '94, when Donkey Kong crashes in the intro to the final level, Pauline makes her Game Boy "Help!" cry, even when you're playing the game on the Super Game Boy. Can someone fix this so that she uses the enhanced Super Game Boy voice for this situation?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: March 02, 2014, 10:55:24 am »
There is a dpad hack, it was finished late November 2008. You can even apply them (there are a few different control schemes) as a cheat
http://gbatemp.net/threads/starfox-command-u-d-pad-hack.118663/
One tutorial based around it
http://crackerscrap.com/docs/sfchacktut.html

The others seem like reasonable requests. They might even exist as normal cheats.

@OneCrudeDude a nice little spoof and tweak type hack like that would probably do well for learning with and could make for a nice hack at the end of it.

From what I read, the hack is discontinued, incomplete and has issues on some hardware...

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 02, 2014, 01:39:41 pm »
Not sure if anyones done this but, make a hack that enables saving in Excitebike so you can save custom tracks.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 02, 2014, 02:00:14 pm »
Make the guy in Silent Service naked or in his briefs only.

Back to the Future where the only levels are the four special events, like a boss rush. Either that or reduce the number of walking segments to 1 before each event.

I actually think the new Back to the Future game for PS3/360/Wii was more true to how the movies are set up. Also the game was set up more Chrono Triggerish in the respect that you travelled from era to era trying to stop Edna Strickland from screwing everything up. The only thing was it didn't exactly involve fights like an RPG would.

The NES game was I suppose terrible because LJN made it and most movie conversions made by them are god awful. I would think a more true to life Back to the Future game would be more set up like an RPG. I dunno how much justice you could really do to the LJN games. Though I suppose anything is worth a try.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 02, 2014, 03:44:19 pm »
Not sure if anyones done this but, make a hack that enables saving in Excitebike so you can save custom tracks.
Technically, it's trying to use the Famicom Data Recorder to save. But I thought someone already made an SRAM hack?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 03, 2014, 01:01:37 am »
I'm not sure if I've made this suggestion before, but I'll say it.

Legacy of the Wizard is an often overlooked NES game, which is actually a well made game.  However, it had one flaw, and that is the fact that the game is not linear.  Doesn't sound like much, but one could play this game for HOURS without making any bit of progress.  This might be me, but this game would be in dire need of a hack that at least has a map you can access by pausing the game.  Plus, the only way you can save the game is if you crawl all the way back to the beginning screen, and if you die, you restart the game all over again.  So maybe have the inns act as a password hub as well.  Oh, and you can only equip items after finding one of those inns, which is necessary for this game.

I feel as if Legacy of the Wizard was designed by Satan himself.  It's more possible to beat Ooze on Action 52 than it is to beat this game.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 03, 2014, 08:44:02 am »
@Tsukiyomaru0 granted I have not used it half as much as something like the Zelda, Guitar Hero or Heroes of Mana but that is news to me. Should it be that it is unstable/issue prone then I would probably still suggest using that as a springboard. For the issues with hardware though I would guess that it is more likely issues with the cheap and nasty cards so many favoured.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 03, 2014, 01:16:56 pm »
Not sure if this has ever been brought up, but someone could make a translation + hack for Metroid Fusion (J). Why translation? Because we already have the script from Metroid Fusion (U), right, but there are things the american and european releases didn't have. And why a hack? Because the game is a wee bit stingy on "items", so I think it could double the gain of ammo and health from all X-parasites, as well as have green parasites recover at leat one Power Bomb.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #1117 on: March 03, 2014, 04:52:45 pm »
Have Power Blazer be more playable without overly rehashing Power Blade.

Not sure if this has ever been brought up, but someone could make a translation + hack for Metroid Fusion (J). Why translation? Because we already have the script from Metroid Fusion (U), right, but there are things the american and european releases didn't have. And why a hack? Because the game is a wee bit stingy on "items", so I think it could double the gain of ammo and health from all X-parasites, as well as have green parasites recover at leat one Power Bomb.

Hmm doesn't sound tough on paper. Copy any missing European language menu code, then make Japanese selectable.
Its graphics are still loaded into RAM even.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:57:47 pm by tc »

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 03, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »
Wasn't sure where to post this.
I'm looking to edit text in Chrono Trigger (US Version) but I'm unable to find dialogue with Temporal Flux.
I used the 'Chrono Trigger Text Editor' and it just spewed out a .OUT file with a huge dump of the script complete with control/command codes and everything.  Yuck!  >_<

So is there any WYSIWYG Gui-based dialogue editor for Chrono Trigger?  Perhaps any decent (updated) documentation for Temporal Flux and how to use it to get started?  Yes I did read/download the Temporal Flux 'manual' listed and I consulted Geiger's homepage as well.  No dice.

Thanks for anyone pointing me in the right direction with a non-troll response ^_^

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 03, 2014, 10:07:21 pm »
Dialogue in Temporal Flux is event by event basis.  You pick a map and on the left side, I THINK it should be in blue text, you click that (I think it's the event number or something) and it'll load up the entire code for that scene.  The dialogue will be listed on that.

It's not exactly handy if you want to dump and redo a lot at once but for a scene by scene basis it's great.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'