News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1307653 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1080 on: February 10, 2014, 09:07:17 pm »
You know. I never liked the SMW version. It just didn't feel right what with it using SMB3 SMAS graphics.

But at any rate what about Darkdaiz' Reuben? It's a pretty good tool, or so I've heard.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:00:32 pm by Vanya »

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 11, 2014, 01:50:37 am »
You know. I never liked the SMW version. It just didn't feel right what with it using SMB3 SMAS graphics.

But at any rate what about Darkdaiz' Reuben? It's a pretty good tool, or so I've heard.
Yeah... I've never got it to work. It's too complex and awkward.

Also, I've never played the SMW version. I only saw a vid of it, and it looked pretty cool.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:16 am »
I just downloaded the newest version of Reuben, it's actually fairly easy to use once you get used to it.
You have to right click on your project tree and tell the editor to make a map/stage to edit. But other than that it seems to be fairly simple.
I do wish Darkdaiz would finish it up to version 1.0 though.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 15, 2014, 01:16:09 pm »
How about a Road Fighter overhaul hack based on Speed Racer/Mach Go Go Go?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 15, 2014, 03:04:02 pm »
Super Mario Bros. 1 hack that scrolls to the left.
It looks like this idea came to fruition for Super Luigi Bros. in NES Remix 2. :)

Spoiler:

Well, except a real hack attempt won't have scenery stuff backwards (preferable). So this is a little lazy.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:44:19 pm by Jeville »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 15, 2014, 11:02:30 pm »
Are there any Kid Icarus hacks?  I was wondering, since there is a Metroid hack that allows it to save data (just like the original FDS version), how likely would such a hack for Kid Icarus be?  Don't they share some key data, since they were both developed by Nintendo's R&D1?  Likewise, I recall reading that they had to cut some ideas and stages that they intended the full game to have due to time constraints, but were those ever revealed what they might've been?

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 17, 2014, 04:45:23 pm »
Well, well, I spent my weekend playing Wild Arms 4. I wonder if there is no one able to solve that monster problem I mentioned ages ago.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 17, 2014, 11:02:57 pm »
If no one replied to your Wild Arms comments the first 9 times, what makes you think the 10th time will?

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 18, 2014, 01:04:41 pm »
If no one replied to your Wild Arms comments the first 9 times, what makes you think the 10th time will?

First: That's the third time, I think. Second: Okay, I got it, I am being an asshole. Sorry for that.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 20, 2014, 03:59:49 pm »
What about a Chrono Triggerish game with more modern time eras like Back to the Future had. You can shift between the 2000s, 1980s, 1960s etc.

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 22, 2014, 07:48:37 pm »
My idea would have to be a "Champion Edition" of Turtles Tournament Fighters on Snes.
aka a hack that makes the bosses playable and their stages selectable.

This is possible with an in game cheat code, but I'd really just like a hack that turns this on by default.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:53 am »
My idea would have to be a "Champion Edition" of Turtles Tournament Fighters on Snes.
aka a hack that makes the bosses playable and their stages selectable.

This is possible with an in game cheat code, but I'd really just like a hack that turns this on by default.

If there is a cheat in the original game then that is a quite reasonable request. Amusingly you will probably want to be looking at emulator/gameshark/action replay style cheat methods for this.

What usually happens in these cases is somewhere in memory a value will be set that allows this functionality to happen. The game will then check this value (or values) and act accordingly. You could attack the checks and force them to return things, sometimes this actually turns out to be simpler at some level, but in this case I imagine the easier method is probably to manually set this value with an instruction or three.
The idea would be to find the location in memory that holds this flag/value, you would do this how you might make a conventional action replay style cheat, and manually set it.
Where you would stick this instruction to change the relevant memory value is a discussion that would probably be better had after the game has been looked at.

The main downside with setting memory rather than attacking checks is if something overwrites it (like someone trying to activate the cheats normally, the game doing something odd that needs this memory -- if you stuck it right at the start of the game then the title screen setup/intro video might overwrite it). Such things are worked around easily enough though, it is also why I said "after the game has been looked at" above.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 23, 2014, 11:03:01 am »
Make the guy in Silent Service naked or in his briefs only.

Back to the Future where the only levels are the four special events, like a boss rush. Either that or reduce the number of walking segments to 1 before each event.

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #1093 on: February 24, 2014, 06:58:51 am »
Inspired by the 3DS version, i have an idea. I would like to replace Dragon Warrior VII PSX version's original soundtrack with the symphonic suite, just like in the 3DS version. Is there an easy way to do it with proper (and beginner level) tools?  :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:19:46 am by knighTeen87 »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 24, 2014, 09:55:35 am »
It would help to know what game you are speaking of.

Anyway 3ds sound ripping is now beyond the line audio stage, http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-cwav-dumper.361437/ being the main in for the general members of the public right now, but it is not what you might call easy.

Though someone would have to look at the PS1 stuff no small amount of it was rendered as waveform type audio rather than sequenced so you could get something done there.

Not an impossible hack, probably not even one with all that many technical challenges as formats are fairly plain* in both cases, but practical issues will make it something I would not take on lightly. To that end I would consider putting it on the backburner until the 3ds is more hacked.

*had you been backporting a DS remix/remaster to a PS1 game then we might have more to talk about. For 3ds it is harder as the 3ds is still somewhat unhacked, at least as far as members of the public and concerned with ROM hacking are concerned.

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #1095 on: February 25, 2014, 02:20:15 am »
It would help to know what game you are speaking of.

Anyway 3ds sound ripping is now beyond the line audio stage, http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-cwav-dumper.361437/ being the main in for the general members of the public right now, but it is not what you might call easy.

Though someone would have to look at the PS1 stuff no small amount of it was rendered as waveform type audio rather than sequenced so you could get something done there.

Not an impossible hack, probably not even one with all that many technical challenges as formats are fairly plain* in both cases, but practical issues will make it something I would not take on lightly. To that end I would consider putting it on the backburner until the 3ds is more hacked.

*had you been backporting a DS remix/remaster to a PS1 game then we might have more to talk about. For 3ds it is harder as the 3ds is still somewhat unhacked, at least as far as members of the public and concerned with ROM hacking are concerned.

Ah sorry, I was talking about Dragon Warrior VII (PSX)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 27, 2014, 03:31:37 am »
Here's something I believe to be interesting.  According to many, Fire Red and Leaf Green are considered to be the definitive versions of the first generation of Pokemon games, mostly due to using a newer game engine and being devoid of many of the issues that plagued the original game.  However, it's just me, but I feel like the presentation was, well, cheapened, due to the GBA being a much more powerful console, and most graphical aspects of the first games were explicitly designed with the monochrome GB in mind.  Plus I like the music.

So my question is, would it be possible to replace the graphics and music and other miscellaneous stuff with the original gen 1 assets?  Basically it would just use the engine from Gen 3, when everything else is from the first game, if that makes any sense.

Another idea is more along the lines of being a question, would it be possible to hack NES games so that they're 'optimized' to run on a GBA emulator?  The GBA has a smaller display than the NES (240x160) vs the NES' 256x224), so I was wondering if it would be possible to hack certain NES games so that their menu bars are raised/lowered and made more compact, as well as some minor level/camera adjustments.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 27, 2014, 06:28:39 am »
Not sure about the music but the graphics were tweaked and ripped from one to the other in a few hacks, not sure how far any of them got as I tend not to pay attention to pokemon hacking. You may be able to do it yourself too as both of those titles have very extensive tools.

Emulator specific hacks were already done for the GBA. A website called GBAfan used to host them, not sure where they ended up though (it was on pocketheaven for a while, my old links seem broken though). For the most part they were font and graphics hacks to deal with pocketnes' tile interpolation/trimming technique, between that and HVCA people did quite well though.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060110083633/http://www.gbafan.com/rom_hacks.html has the idea, http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?p=13415 is the tutorial it lists. Menus are harder as you will probably have to drop down to assembly level to do any real damage for most games.

I very much doubt you will find anybody willing to go in depth for this though -- everything newer (which includes lots of other consoles these days) already emulates the NES at or above native, and often does a better job than pocketnes. It is an interesting reason for hacking and gets you to think in some unusual ways (the only other times this happens is converting actual full PAL res games on things that ran at full PAL to NTSC, not a common hack at all) but why bother in 2014 is what you will face.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 27, 2014, 01:08:07 pm »
I wasn't asking about finding people to "trim" NES games, I was wondering how complex would this process be?  It was an idea for me to get into hacking, though as you mentioned, it's pretty complex in the long run.

And the DS would be able to emulate the NES, but at 256x192 as opposed to 256x224.  It took until the 3DS to emulate the NES at it's proper resolution, and at the same time can now emulate the Genesis and Neo Geo at their proper resolutions (320x224).

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 27, 2014, 03:35:41 pm »
Sorry, I tend to read this thread in the mindset of the title. Also yeah I suppose the DS is still lower, I tend to forget about that as it was mostly a solved issue or I used a PSP.

Tile trimming.
It is a matter of finding the tiles in the ROM and then it is mostly graphics editing. The graphics thing can still be hard, doubly so when you start getting animations in on the action and you have to make it work there as well.

On screen menu movement.
This can vary. In some games it is a tile placement affair like any other with basically a map file somewhere, once you have found this then it would be simple enough to change but "once you have found it" can be the tricky part. Other games will have this buried deep down in the code and use all sorts of maths to figure out where to place things; this means you get to do all sorts of nice tracing and debugging to figure out what to change.
The somewhat more primitive nature of the NES graphics could go either way for you here.

Quite a few translation projections have done various amounts of both over the years, I even saw a couple of restoration type hacks do the same.

As an in for learning hacking.... it would teach you a lot about graphics and probably a bit of assembly as well. Personally I can not see it keeping the motivation high enough to push through the early frustrations of learning hacking. If improving games is something that has your eye then carry on there -- you do not need to worry about attracting a translator and even if it is a matter of making a game not use all capitals or something then you have something you really can share at the end of it.