News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2423875 times)

johnny

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #620 on: March 29, 2013, 07:42:41 pm »
Here's a unique idea. How about Michael Jackson's Moonwalker completely overhauled with another artist being the lead character. Updated music, graphics, possibly some new sound effects and even replacing the kids you rescue and bubbles the monkey with something else. The stages could be unique and everything. I know Saxman has a couple of utilities for Sega Genesis ROM hacking and there are some utilities floating around as well. Would be an interesting project to undertake. And I'm sure we all love music. Even an underground artist could work if people are scared about getting in trouble with Intellectual Property BS.

I think it'd be bad ass if someone Turned Golden AxE Warrior into Zelda 1. As if it wasn't a big enough Zelda clone as it is... But then it really would be Zelda with better graphics and better music if one could get a FM music mod to work on the rom.

Hmm well I would think it would be a better idea to turn Zelda A Link to the Past into Golden Axe Warrior. Though your idea does sound intriguing, Zelda BS kinda has a Zelda 1 remake covered as does Zelda Classic. Also figuring out how to convert Sega Master System ROMs to Sega CD would be kind of nice. Its already been done with Sonic Megamix where they converted Sonic 1 Genesis to Sega CD format and heavily modified it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:35:38 pm by johnny »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:51 am »
How about hacking Samus Aran into "Scurge: Hive". Doesn't seem like it would take all that much work. Hell, the game is practically already set up as a Metroid Gaiden. I mean, really? It has a conFederation, the main character is a bounty hunter/mercenary type, there's a highly infectious alien entity to eradicate, and she has a special suit that you can upgrade. You could rewrite it a bit to be a special mission Samus get's sent on while she was still a Federation soldier. You wouldn't even have to radically change the graphics with a set up like that.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 04, 2013, 09:25:33 pm »
sounds like a dumb idea, but someone could REALLY get around to translating Sugoroku, Go and Shogi games for GB, GBC, NES, GBA and SNES. Not only just translating, of course, but also changing pieces visually sometimes to make it easier to understand what is what.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #623 on: April 05, 2013, 10:37:50 am »
I would be interested in doing a Shogi NES hack perhaps in a couple of months. I'll scroll through some roms and see which looks the most up my alley.

EDIT: let it be known, I'm not interested in translating any text-heavy one, but if I find one with a simple and straight layout, I wouldn't mind doing some "beginner" icons on the pieces.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:47:06 am by M_tee »

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 06, 2013, 10:24:27 pm »
Someone needs to fix up that unholy mess of a Shinobi game for NES made by Tengen. Not that the Sega Master System version was that fantastic but it certainly was the best 8 bit home port of the game due to it being made directly by Sega. In any case, that would be a nice project. First start with graphics and then that god awful music and sound. The Boss Music isn't even in the game. Maybe if someone wants to make a superior version to the Sega Master System version, make the NES pirate more true to its Arcade counterpart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiVhLpQtQcI - Arcade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQxzYlxeNOM - Sega Master System

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLea2XSJSak - NES

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 06, 2013, 11:45:20 pm »
I'm assuming by "pirate" you mean the Tengen version, even though Tengen was a legal developer (unlicensed =/= illegal).
Or is there another version I'm not aware of?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

jonwvsu

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 07, 2013, 12:44:22 am »
How about a nice, clean SMB3 hack that allows you to skip all the menus. I know that I found a shop of strange and wonderfull things, that's why I'm here. It feels like I'm sitting around for hours waiting to get back to the game.

While I'm at it, how about a TLoZ hack that uses passwords rather than a battery save. Just a thought.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 07, 2013, 03:45:43 am »
I think I have something that I actually might be able to do. Put Links graphic from Zelda 1 in place of the hero from Golden Axe Warrior.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #628 on: April 07, 2013, 06:12:58 am »
I thought you had greater aspirations than sprite-swappin.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 07, 2013, 09:08:52 am »
I just want to see what it would look like in gameplay. Then if I like it maybe I can try doing changing those crystals you collect into triforce pieces and so on until the whole game is overhauled.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #630 on: April 07, 2013, 12:25:32 pm »
sounds like a dumb idea, but someone could REALLY get around to translating Sugoroku, Go and Shogi games for GB, GBC, NES, GBA and SNES. Not only just translating, of course, but also changing pieces visually sometimes to make it easier to understand what is what.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be tackling Naitou Kudan Shogi Hiden, 1985 for the Famicom. I've designed new pieces that should explain piece movement without the need of external documentation or knowledge. Check the thread here.

jonwvsu

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 08, 2013, 01:16:36 pm »
I am need of a utility or a talented hacker that can change a few NES roms from MMC1 to MMC3. I'm told it can be done. Replace all "sta MMC1mapper" with "jsr doMMC1toMMC3" Please PM me if you are up to this. I plan on converting TLoz, Tetris0, and Monopoly. Thank you very much.

Since this is the idea thread: How about a TLoZ hack that allows you to set other items as your primary (rather than just your sword) For example, you could kill with the wand and collect with the boomerang without going to the menu.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 08, 2013, 03:41:26 pm »
I'm assuming by "pirate" you mean the Tengen version, even though Tengen was a legal developer (unlicensed =/= illegal).
Or is there another version I'm not aware of?

Nah that was the one. I don't actually know if it was a pirated version to be honest. I just know that it is kind of crappy and could use massive improvement. One thing that the 8 bit home versions don't possess is accurate music and sound (PC Engine version does). There's only one stage tune used in the home versions for every stage and I know there's at least more than one stage tune used in the arcade version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMTTPtFdU_c - tune not found in home version of Shinobi

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 09, 2013, 06:56:14 am »
Two ideas:
  • Hack Nintendo's Tetris for NES to have the classic Game Boy soundtrack.
  • Replace the birds (except Blu and Jewel, obviously) in Angry Birds Rio with the Bad Piggies. The graphics and sounds already exist for them in the original Angry Birds, so why not?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 09, 2013, 02:51:40 pm »
Here's one for Zelda II: If you get a game over in a palace, make it so that you respawn at the beginning of that palace instead of all the way back to the castle. The code for this exists for the Great Palace.

Back to the Future: If failing a special event (cafe, school, etc.), make it so you won't get sent back to redo the previous stage and to instead redo the special event directly. A lot of modern gamers would probably give up at the cafe, but the later events are easier. I personally enjoyed the music one.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:47:00 pm by Jeville »

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 09, 2013, 06:09:42 pm »
I am need of a utility or a talented hacker that can change a few NES roms from MMC1 to MMC3. I'm told it can be done. Replace all "sta MMC1mapper" with "jsr doMMC1toMMC3" Please PM me if you are up to this. I plan on converting TLoz, Tetris0, and Monopoly. Thank you very much.

Since this is the idea thread: How about a TLoZ hack that allows you to set other items as your primary (rather than just your sword) For example, you could kill with the wand and collect with the boomerang without going to the menu.

Actually I had a similar idea for Megaman 3 where Top Spin would be your main weapon and the character, story, etc. revolves around a Ninja that uses a sword. Top Spin is basically the closest weapon that would come to a sword as most Megaman 8 bit games for NES don't have weapons which could be seen as sword-like. The Stage Select would be places in the world you travel to and after you beat a stage, you learn different skills from your Master. The skills would in no way correlate with whatever boss you fight. In addition, any type of boss could be on a Stage such as you could pick a stage where the boss you fight may be based off of a wily boss like Yellow Devil.

jonwvsu

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 10, 2013, 01:23:49 am »
Actually I had a similar idea for Megaman 3 where Top Spin would be your main weapon and the character, story, etc. revolves around a Ninja that uses a sword. Top Spin is basically the closest weapon that would come to a sword as most Megaman 8 bit games for NES don't have weapons which could be seen as sword-like. The Stage Select would be places in the world you travel to and after you beat a stage, you learn different skills from your Master. The skills would in no way correlate with whatever boss you fight. In addition, any type of boss could be on a Stage such as you could pick a stage where the boss you fight may be based off of a wily boss like Yellow Devil.

I guess megaman has never had a good melee weapon. With some graphical and palette changes, that could be the premise of a whole new game ala whomp 'em.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 10, 2013, 01:25:44 am »
Then he'd be Zero.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:39 pm »
Then he'd be Zero.

That would all depend on how its done. For example, Shinobi for Game Gear is structured similarly to a Mega Man game. You have a stage select at the start and each time you beat a boss and rescue an ally, you get to use them and their powers. This basically amounts to a color change of your Ninja and another weapon and skill set.

Salty

« Reply #639 on: April 12, 2013, 03:58:50 pm »
I've been thinking of a hack for TMNT 2 on the NES. Basically you'd be playing as Bebop and / or Rocksteady instead of the turtles. Could be called TMNT 2: Bebop and Rocksteady's revenge. I even came up with a little plot for it  :P Basically Shredder has fired Bebop and Rocksteady due to their constant incompetence. Instead of accepting their fate, Bebop and Rocksteady decide to foil Shredder's latest plans to prove their worth to him, before the turtles can even arrive on the scene.

So basically replace the playable turtle characters with Bebop and Rocksteady. The turtles have 3 ways to attack enemies: weak attack, strong attack and jump kick. Bebop and Rocksteady would have 3 ways to attack as well:

Button A: Punch (Bebop), kick (Rocksteady). The basic melee attack, would deal same amount of damage as the turtles weak attack.

Button B: Ray gun (Bebop), machinegun (Rocksteady). This would be a new gameplay element, since it would be a long range attack. The damage should be pretty low (maybe taking 4-6 hits to kill a foot soldier?), so there is a nice balance between long range and melee combat.

Button A + B: Running bodycheck (for both). This would result in the character running half a screen (or full screen) while dealing heavy damage to anyone caught in their way. To balance it, using this attack would damage you (just like the super attacks in TMNT 3 do). It should not be possible to cancel the running attack half way, since that would allow players to spam the attack and do massive amounts of damage quickly.

Neither character would have the ability to jump with these controls. Though I can't remember jumping being absolutely required in more than 2 levels. In the sewer you need to jump to be able to get out of the water. In the skateboard level you need to jump to hit the choppers. These would need to be worked out, or simply remove these 2 levels from the game. Would also need to replace the level 1 and 2 boss fights, since fighting Bebop and Rocksteady as Bebop and Rocksteady would be kind of weird  :laugh:

I think this set of attacks would make the game more dynamic and interesting than the original game. In the original the weak attack doesn't have much use, usually you are just using the strong attack on foot soldiers, and jump kicks on bosses. For Bebop and Rocksteady both the melee attacks and guns would be different and usable options. The bodycheck would also be very useful on large groups of enemies, or on bosses.

I don't have any knowledge of ROM hacking so I don't know how doable this idea would be. It would require more work than just replacing graphics, since the secondary attack and super attacks would be different than what the turtles use in the original game. Here's a concept picture of what it might look to play as Bebop and Rocksteady: