News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1416401 times)

SWAP

• View Profile

jonwvsu

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #561 on: February 23, 2013, 09:53:46 am »
I would like Knuckles Chaotix down-ported to the Genesis/Mega Drive. I wonder what parts of the game require the 32x and what parts are just Sonic Crackers. (I would similarly like to see Sonic Crackers finished with the levels of Knuckles Chaotics).Anyone know anything about this, just out of curiosity?

I would like to see modern moves added to SMB3 (wall jump, butt bounce, etc.) I'm waiting for your ninja suit, Dahrk Daiz!

A way to run faster later on in tLoZ, and maybe a bow that fires free arrows.

Vs. Duck Hunt with a "dip-switch screen" added so I could play it on the PowerPak.

ANYTHING that takes advantage of the ethernet connection on Chykn's NES expansion port adapter.

A Tetris Attack style game for the NES.

A cartridge of Sonic 1 for Genesis that adds Knuckles with lock-on technology. Also, Sonic 2 (patched for flying tails) as a lock on cart that can add Tails to S1.

That is all.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 23, 2013, 05:04:42 pm »
A way to run faster later on in tLoZ, and maybe a bow that fires free arrows.

There is a massive tLoZ project in the works that completely rebuilds the rom and adds a bunch of features from ALttP including the pegasus boots, hookshot, and a sword you swing instead of stab with.

MathUser2929

• View Profile

jonwvsu

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 24, 2013, 12:38:46 am »
Oh, wow. I'll be following that attentively.

But, since this is the Hack Ideas thread, I'll suggest a few NES ideas. A finished Nyan Cat game and a D-Pad Hero with more (or different) songs. I don't really care for the style of D-Pad Hero 2.

I love hearing everyones ideas!

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 24, 2013, 06:48:12 pm »
I'm working on a graphic hack for Super Mario Kart. I want to replace DK Jr. with Donkey Kong. Things are fine (but slow) in terms of the sprites.

But I want to change all text for "DK JR" or "DONKEY KONG JR" to just "DK" or "DONKEY KONG" as well. I tried making a tbl file and exploring the game in a hex editor, but I found very little text. Can anyone point in the right direction? Or, more preferred, just supply me with a patch that already makes those textual changes.

Thanks,

EDIT: I also can't find the sprites for the victory pose. Any help is much appreciated
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:30:31 pm by TRIFORCE89 »

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 06, 2013, 03:09:55 am »
I've been playing the Famicom Disk System version of Metroid lately, and it strikes me how much more appropriate the sound effects are. Unfortunately, there are horrendous load times, typical of the Disk System.

I wonder what it would take to port the sound effects from FDS Metroid to NES Metroid.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 06, 2013, 11:11:30 am »
I don't know about porting stuff but the Disk System version of Kid Icarus is also in the same camp having much better sound effects over the NES version, as well as an exclusive ending.

I'd also like to see a proper controls hack for DS Harvest Moon Island Of Happiness, as the current touch screen controls plus buttons are a horrendous nightmare.  Something along the lines of the Rune Factory, which uses regular controls plus the R button and B or A to scroll through various tools and items.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 06, 2013, 11:55:08 am »
Part of that has to do with the FDS hardware providing an additional sound channel.  To 'properly' do a music mod would require switching mappers, roughly the equivalent of doing this ->  :banghead: 

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 06, 2013, 08:36:03 pm »
The exclusive ending part would be cool to see, but you have to remember that while the original FC "worst" ending was removed, a new "best" ending was added to the NES version (per The Cutting Room Floor). Maybe the worst ending was removed in favor of the best ending?

xXBelmontXx

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 06, 2013, 08:41:17 pm »
I have a really cool idea for a castlevania hack  but it would requires changes that i am not able to do. I'm not telling any details because i dont want my idea stolen. :P

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 07, 2013, 12:54:40 am »
No offense but, then why even bother posting if you don't want anybody stealing your idea?
Here is something i would love to see happen, i'd like to see someone make Dracula's castle in castlvania 1 in castlevania 2.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #572 on: March 09, 2013, 02:00:41 am »
NES games were chock full of cyberpunk futures, medieval euro-fantasies, Koch-era New York alleys, winding space caverns, a western or two, and an assortment of generic fire, ice, forest, or water stages.

So the pitch would be for graphics (and possibly level) hacks of games to establish new, uncommon-for-videogames settings.

Civil War-era Contra. A turn-of-the-century Chinese Metroid, Castlevania as a Phillipino prison break, a Victoran-era Adventure Island, etc.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 09, 2013, 02:02:31 am »
Will Wilfred Brimley be in the Adventure Island hack?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 10, 2013, 12:43:18 pm »
One of my favorite games for Wii is the Just dance series. Problem is that not all the songs I like are present in the same games. How about extracting the song data (and possibly reformatting them) so they can be reinserted. A little mix and match assuming the different games aren't radically incompatible.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 10, 2013, 03:21:18 pm »
It's probably simpler than you think, though would require the homebrew channel.  Most Wii games use a simple filesystem approach, and replacement is a matter of matching filenames. 

Basically, minimum you'd need to dump data with CleanRip, then replace/patch it with riivolution.  How compatible the data might be is anyone's guess, but you might be lucky.

Trivial man

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 11, 2013, 02:47:45 am »
There are quite a few hacks that I'd like to see done for games in the Monster Rancher series. I don't have any idea how easy any of them would be, but here's some glitches and odd behavior that's been documented at Monster Rancher Metropolis (www.monster-rancher.com) that I'd like to see fixed.

- In the original Monster Rancher for the PS1 when you take your monster to town (or maybe it happens when you return to the ranch) your monster gets a 5 point loyalty boost, your raising style moves more towards strict, and your monster's stress increases. Considering this is the equivalent of changing menus and later games don't have this functionality, I'd like to see it hacked out.
- In the same game, there is a monster called Disk that is supposed to be a sort of joke; instead of reading the disk to get the monster, the monster is the Disk. And ironically enough, the game was programmed to never generate a pure Disk monster from disks, you have to obtain one by combining. On the other hand, there is a monster called Doodle that is a unlockable monster. Unlike other unlockable monsters, Doodle can be made from CDs. It's commonly thought that the data for these got mixed up in the disk reading function and I would like to see a hack that corrects this.
- If memory serves, there are some ridiculous typos in this game. "Mosnter" being a reccuring one. If found, it would be nice if these were corrected.

- In Monster Rancher 2 for the PS1, there's been some research done about how stress is calculated when going on an expedition. It's a bit complex, but essentially at the end your monster becomes loses twice as much lifespan due to stress as is expected due to the game checking stress level and calculating how much lifespan to remove twice. This is probably a programming error and I'd like to see it hacked out.
- Another programming oversight is the so called "swim bug" present in the game. When your monster goes to the swim drill, instead of earning stat points proportional to your monster's defensive gains, which is what is expected since it is a defense drill, it gives you stat gains proportional to your life gains. It would be nice if this was fixed.
- Multiple items were also dummied out of this game. In particular, the item cigarette was removed presumably as ordinary censorship, and various DNA capsules for obtaining rare monsters were only obtainable through the Pocketstation which wasn't released outside Japan. I think these should be hacked so they can be obtained through normal play.
- Kato's Oil Flame move, despite having working data in the game for it, is not learnable for some reason. I'd like a hack to enable learning this.

- In Monster Rancher Advance 2 for the GBA, there is a monster that you should be able to unlock after winning a battle. It's called Octochrome and the password given to regenerate it after the battle is MAC_OCT. However, this is gives the incorrect monster and Octochrome is unobtainable through any other method. Fixing this would make the game actually completable which would be wonderful.
- There's a bug so that saving and reloading the game will give you the benefits of items that are only supposed to give benefits at the start of the week. Abusing this makes it possible to raise a monster without ever resting it. While a fun exploit, it's clearly not the intended behavior and I think should be fixed.
- There's a possibility that your monster may ask to eat plot critical items, in particular the Flare Orb. If you let this happen the game becomes unwinnable and you have no choice but to reset. This should be removed.
- After a long while, coaches you have set up for your drills will retire, but sometimes despite this they still run the drills they were assigned to, only now free of charge. They can be replaced and if they are they're gone for good, but they should be removed from the drills automatically.
- There are some other, minor bugs such as using your monster's name instead of yours in conversation or random crashes detailed on Monster Rancher Metropolis and these would be great if they were fixed too.

And there are probably more bizarre little glitches and typos and whatnot spread across these 3 games, not to mention any of the other games in the series. But in particular I'd like to see these games get some love and work a bit more professionally and properly. If anyone does work on these, I'd also like to request that each feature being altered gets its own individual patch. While I wouldn't mind so much having a blanket bug fix patch, others depend on certain glitches I've listed as part of their monster raising strategy while other glitches are irrelevant and they might want corrected.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 11, 2013, 03:35:26 am »
It's probably simpler than you think, though would require the homebrew channel.  Most Wii games use a simple filesystem approach, and replacement is a matter of matching filenames. 

Basically, minimum you'd need to dump data with CleanRip, then replace/patch it with riivolution.  How compatible the data might be is anyone's guess, but you might be lucky.

I'll look into it.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 11, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »
*snipped 'cause it is long.*
Damn, son. You reminded me of those games... Well, I do have to agree, they are great and need those bugs/issues patched out.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #579 on: March 11, 2013, 02:26:27 pm »
Seeing some of these requests really makes me realize the generation gap, as i see the contrast between the games i played and remember fondly and the games i used to peddle to kids while working my way through college at a game store being talked about with such legitimacy.

March 11, 2013, 02:56:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Will Wilfred Brimley be in the Adventure Island hack?

There's a difference between a half-assed novelty or spoof hack and the genuine establishment of a new aesthetic.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:56:11 pm by M_tee »