News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1552228 times)

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #380 on: June 14, 2012, 03:02:34 am »
Castlevania 3 US with its japanese music. Possible?

How about the inverse, Japanese CV with US Music? The Powerpak doesn't support MMC5 yet and I'm too lazy to hook up my actual Famicom...

Also, if anyone's seen the recent pirate Korean "20 in 1" cart on d4s's site, it'd be nice if we could get all the games individually split and working, or at -least- working on more "traditional" SNES mapper setups.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 14, 2012, 12:27:50 pm »
Wouldn't that... like, change the gameplay of that section? I only played the very beginning of Bionic Commando, mind you. Never far enough to really know what you're talking about, but from what you're saying, it feels like you're asking for an explicitly, purposeful gameplay element to be taken out, like removing monsters from all dungeons in an RPG.
It only happens in the Original NES version and the Gameboy port.  In the Rearmed remake and in the port for mobile phone (Too named Rearmed), it was removed.

On funnier notes, I wonder how come no one made a "fully useable Real Operation mode" hack for Megaman Battle Network 5

chazbc24

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 16, 2012, 09:25:32 am »
Gradius 2 with the sfx disabled so we can enjoy the excellent music fully during gameplay.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 16, 2012, 12:08:49 pm »
The Famicom version? Did you know there's a sound test if you want to hear the music alone? (A+B+Start on the title)
I know you said gameplay, but I just wanted to be sure.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

chazbc24

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 20, 2012, 07:52:56 am »
The Famicom version? Did you know there's a sound test if you want to hear the music alone? (A+B+Start on the title)
I know you said gameplay, but I just wanted to be sure.

oh i know, but during gameplay one of the squares and the noise is used by the sfx, the game would be so much better if it ditched the sfx and just blasted the soundtrack while you play.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 23, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »
Just for your information, there are some enhancement patches for Gradius II. http://messatu.wordpress.com/
They focus on enhancing the graphics and difficulty. It might be hard to get the patches to work, because another patch needs to be applied before the main patch is applied.

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 24, 2012, 04:59:45 am »
It only happens in the Original NES version and the Gameboy port.  In the Rearmed remake and in the port for mobile phone (Too named Rearmed), it was removed.

It's justified though (at least in the gb version it is). The last neutral area (#15 I think) has barriers that you need to destroy to continue. It actually adds a lot to that area because instead of just running through that part, you actually have to fend off enemies as well in that neutral area. Also, there are two exits in each neutral area, so in case if you do actually shoot, you can easily exit the level.

Stamos

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 25, 2012, 05:19:45 pm »
Hi all :)

this is my first post so plz dont kill/kick me if i say something stupid lol
These days ive been playing alot nes  games due to nostalgia on Double dragon games.
I thought: I should take a look around google if they made a patch for them.
Well i searched and i found in this site(ive used the site before many times for hacks tho)a DD3 difficulty fix patch which
apart from the difficulty changed i realised you can use both of the main characters for the gamethrough.The music was changed in the game :s.I mean its the same but the chiptune sounds a bit different:( i love the originals one more

So my question is... Can someone change  that thingy in the patch so it wont change the music but everything else the developer changed? Im sure the original author wont bother with such insignificant thing cause im sure that he wanted to change it cause he felt doing so.Also i know dd3 suffers from flickering and im wondering...would there be chance the enemies to come as 3 per wave and not 2 at a time?or there will be a problem due to nes limitations?

Im sorry if my english are confusing you guys and Thanks in advance :)

DD3 patch
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/239/
Where i walk...i walk alone

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 27, 2012, 02:12:29 pm »
I'm wondering this: There's a translation of Silent Hill Play Novel, a pseudo-game in web pages, but there's NOT A SINGLE TRANSLATION PATCH FOR IT. How come no one hacked this amazing game yet?!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #389 on: June 27, 2012, 05:50:27 pm »
I'm wondering this: There's a translation of Silent Hill Play Novel, a pseudo-game in web pages, but there's NOT A SINGLE TRANSLATION PATCH FOR IT. How come no one hacked this amazing game yet?!

Probably for the same reason you haven't! What are you waiting for?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2012, 01:20:43 pm »
Probably for the same reason you haven't! What are you waiting for?
I have no hacking ability with japanese

mz

« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2012, 02:45:33 pm »
Most people who translate these games were not born with that ability, either. So why don't you do like them and acquire it by learning Japanese and ROM hacking?

Once you've spent years working hard and studying a lot, you will probably start to notice that it's kind of annoying to read things like "there's NOT A SINGLE TRANSLATION PATCH FOR IT", "How come no one hacked this", etc.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #392 on: June 28, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »

=_= It's a website?

Can you link it? If it's straight up HTML, then, you might have the source available pretty easily. Unless there's heavy backend logic (unless it's server-side, like Javascript).
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2012, 06:12:10 pm »
=_= It's a website?

Can you link it? If it's straight up HTML, then, you might have the source available pretty easily. Unless there's heavy backend logic (unless it's server-side, like Javascript).

This is where you can play online
http://alchemillahospital.net/online-shpn/

And these are the translations FAQs: (from Gamefaqs )
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/921654-play-novel-silent-hill/faqs/51602
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/921654-play-novel-silent-hill/faqs/49479
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/921654-play-novel-silent-hill/faqs/24997 (3rd scenario was only available through E-Reader, I think)

What I meant is: The GBA game lacks a Translation Patch, as the only playable transdlation is a site you see in the link above.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #394 on: June 28, 2012, 09:32:07 pm »
Oh. I see.

Hmm, that might be tough. I've never heard of roms for E-Reader games, much less hacks and translations...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 29, 2012, 02:15:37 am »
Oh. I see.

Hmm, that might be tough. I've never heard of roms for E-Reader games, much less hacks and translations...
The E-Reader Scenario (3rd scenario, The Boy) is completely irrelevant and disposeable. But I have seen a hack of SMB3 that inclues E-Reader Levels... but is a save hack, I think

So, yes, disregarding the E-Reader exclusive scenario, the rest of the game is perfectly playable.

dudejo

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 29, 2012, 07:38:33 am »
One of the potentially important projects would be to convert FF6's physical damage formula to work in a similar way to the magic damage formula.

Right now, it squares your level when calculating your physical damage, which means your Vigor stat influences very little past a certain point.

While I can't hack ASM code to save my life, I did "theorize" up a different formula that would make your stats actually relevant in a similar way to how magic works :

Weapon + ( ( Level * Vigor * Weapon ) / 256 ) * 3 / 2 = Total Damage

If I'm not mistaken, the only difference with this formula and the normal one is that instead of "Level ^ 2", you get "Level * Vigor".

gr0ode

« Reply #397 on: July 06, 2012, 08:26:40 am »
Storyline:

Intro:
The story takes place in the Future (in the year 2124). You play as a boy/girl (or with edited sprite as man/women) and you work as a space pilot. The energy sources on earth have been exploited and people are now looking for other energy sources on the moon. In the year 2104 Scientists dicovered black stones, on the moon, which contain dark energy in concentrated form , also called Turner-stones (as a tribute to Turner, who coined the term dark enery). Your grandpa, (Prof. Oak) (here scientist and in charge of the space travel mission) studies the Turner-stones and his mission is to exploit the energy of the stones. The Turner-stones seem to emit some kind of wierd radiation but you grandpa tells you that he manged to proof that it isn't dangerous.

You start off in your home town (of cause edited) and your grandpa sends you to a space mission to explore a Turner-stone source. The world is governed by one all powerfull government which has a very severy policy (because of the energy-crisis the crime rate expanded rapidly and the government does everything to maintain order). Than after a little chat with your grandpa (to explain the background story etc.), you go to a space training station and have to collect your space-pass. Then you are allowed to fly to the moon. New technology brought up a space-phone and the astronauts can stay in contact with earth. There is an artificial nature section on the shuttle because scientists also try to find out if closed environements could survive in space in view of civilizing the moon. When you arrive on the moon you get a call from your grandpa and he tells you that the radiation of the Turner-stones has severe effets on animals which he didn't predit. All animals exposed to the Turner-stones mutated and became very big. Afterwards they attacked humans and sort of "poked" them and it seemed that they sucked by the people's body... the government announced code red in the city ...... Then the connection breaks off. You remember that the scientists brought along animals to the moon in the artificial nature section and leave your room to take a look. You hear strange noises from the artificial nature room but can't enter the room. Then you go on to the main section and listen to a conversation between the government and their police on the shuttle. The town in which your grandpa lives should be "put apart" and they get the mission to kill everyone which had contact with the Turner-stones.

On the Moon:
The government-police men put on their radiation suit and leave the room on the other side. You can't exit the room before you find Charile, grandpa's dog, which travelled along. You ask yourself why the dog isn't in the artificial nature room and wonder why he isn't affected by the radiation, then decide to take him with you as protection (here you obtain your first pokemon it could be Arcanine or some other pokemon dog). The government police shut down the energy supply and you can now enter the artificial nature room where have to fight your way through. Here you find a lot of dead bodies and also the first ghost (which you cannot fight yet). The mutated animals absorb the bodies of humans but someway their souls remain (they emit the same force as the Turner-stones). You remember that there is another space shuttle (its mission is to look for habitats on the moon) in reach, but it would be too long to get there by feet. You must obtain a hovercar (pokemon sprite/pokemon which can use surf) and find the hoverkeys (badge you need to use surf). After you go outside you remark that the shuttle is completely destroyed and that the animals managed to escape. You have to fight your way through (outside the battle pokemon sprite should replace trainer sprite and inside the battle the trainer sending out his pokemon to the fight shouldn't be visible). As you reach the new shuttle you have a beat the security (this time, inside the battle, a trainer sprite should replace the pokemon sprite and the trainer sending out the pokemon shouldn't be visible). Then you go to the cockpit of the shuttle and beat the pilot down and fly home.

In the Wasteland:
Here I only have a few rough ideas: When you arrive home, you crash the shuttle and find your vilage completely destroyed. The government has bombed the city with an atom bomb but this couldn't get rid of the ghosts. You enter grandpas's house and find a machinery which he used to trap the energy of the Turner-stones. Now you can beat ghosts and trap them in this device. (NPC disappear after you beat them) Ghots are everywhere and they can control pokemons (the mutated animals), but not only ghots await you but also radiated people who (like ghosts) work together with the pokemons. You will find a lot a messages written by a person who calls himself "The Lurker". He gives explations and seems to be the only survivor. (he also defines the name:"pokemon"/poking animals from the moon). In the game there shouldn't be too much pokeballs around, you rather have to defeat pokemon sprites to get pokemon. "The Lurker" explains to you that after beating the wild pokemon they will become domestic but he hasn't found a method to keep them on his side. Here the machinery of grandpa comes in handy you use it to store up to 6 pokemon, the rest is saved to a chip. You can modify the accessible pokemons by connecting to a pc, but therefore you have to repair the pc's first. In pokemon centers you will find first aid kids. Your quest is it to make it through the city alive and escape the government which wants your death, but be warned about radiated people, the pokemon and the government police which tries to get you and bring you down. AND BEWARE OF THE GHOSTS STRIVING FOR REDEMPTION!

The End:
To save the world and get rid of the pokemon, you travel back to the moon (the origin of the bad) where you have to beat the 4 guardians (pkm league) and bring back the world to peace. There you meet Arceus (pkm champ) and you have to proof yourself to him and perhaps he brings peace to the world after you beat him?

Good idea or bad idea? New ideas are always welcome

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 07, 2012, 10:52:16 pm »
I've had this idea for a long time but haven't any clue how to implement it. Final Fantasy Chronicles for the PSX included a version of Final Fantasy 4 that has a dash button. The GBA version includes this feature as well. How can this feature be ported into the SNES version?

If I knew, I wouldn't be posting it here, I guess I would be doing it.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 08, 2012, 09:52:14 am »
Finding a way of implementing New Super Mario Brothers flagpole in Super Mario Brothers.  Specifically where you reach the top and gain a extra 1up, I don't think SMB does this (and its been ages since I've played original SMB to check if it does).
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC