News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1304973 times)

Tony H

• View Profile
    • The Code Hut
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #980 on: January 01, 2014, 09:35:37 am »
Please, all that is holy onto the Fonz, please do this for me!  :o
If you do this, I will marry you.  ;D
Thank you.

I don't see an option for attachments here, so send me a PM with your email address or send me an email (my email address is on my website: The Code Hut).

EDIT: Or, like Mike said, if you know how to use a hex editor, you can easily hack the codes into the ROM yourself.
The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Game Genie codes and ROM hacking guides

PersistedUser

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 01, 2014, 08:23:45 pm »
I don't see an option for attachments here, so send me a PM with your email address or send me an email (my email address is on my website: The Code Hut).

EDIT: Or, like Mike said, if you know how to use a hex editor, you can easily hack the codes into the ROM yourself.

I do not know how to use a hex editor, at least for now.

My email is matt_boling@moscowmail.com

I was going through a Russian cultural phase when I created the email, and do not want to create a new one, as I gave this email to my friends, families, and other websites.

Thanks,
-Matt

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 01, 2014, 09:01:34 pm »
I'm sure you guys have heard of Super Mario Crossover, right?  The flash game where you can play as other NES characters in SMB?  I'm fairly certain people have asked if it would be possible to have this made for the NES instead of being a flash game.  Well, I've had an idea.  I was thinking that SMC for the NES would actually be a multicart where each game (Contra, Ninja Gaiden, etc) has it's levels structured in a way that resembles SMB.  The enemies would be reskinned and recoded to act as the SMB enemies, but everything else, from music to physics, will be identical as their original game.  Only problem would be giving this multicart the ability to "remember" certain values as it switches from game to game.

Would this idea be a feasible way of accomplishing it?

That would actually be more work than taking, say SMB3, expanding the ROM, recreating all the levels from SMB1, reprogramming the enemies back to their SMB1 versions, inserting SMB1 Bowser, and porting all the characters from the other games.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 01, 2014, 10:17:28 pm »
Might as well get rid of the middleman and just extensively edit SMB1.  No need to hack SMB3 back into 1.

Besides, the music/sound issue remains.  Unless you can live with poor renditions (due to sheer difficulty of music hacking) of other songs with SMB1's sound driver.

Tony H

• View Profile
    • The Code Hut
« Reply #984 on: January 01, 2014, 11:48:24 pm »
I do not know how to use a hex editor, at least for now.

My email is matt_boling@moscowmail.com

I was going through a Russian cultural phase when I created the email, and do not want to create a new one, as I gave this email to my friends, families, and other websites.

Thanks,
-Matt

Sent it.  I tested the hacked ROM and it worked fine.  Let me know if you have any problems with it.
The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Game Genie codes and ROM hacking guides

Oddoai-sama

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 04, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »
So I was playing a master system game called Cyborg Hunter on my PSP, before I realised that the only way to access the equipment menu was through a button on the second controller which isn't emulated by MasterBoy! I thought I'd leave it up to the fine folks of RHDN to find a way around this instead of switching emu because of a single game. Take it as a little challenge for bored people. ;)

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 04, 2014, 03:32:29 pm »
An interesting request and well within reason. I have never seen this before, that said most of the time split controls are a thing it is usually an optional extra and I tend to emulate on the PC anyway.
You have three main options as far as I can see

Modify the emulator (or another one, SMS Plus seems to be open source) to take extra controls. This might not be so bad actually.

Change the "open menu" command to respond to another button press/combo.

Add a button combo to generate the open menu buttons.

I had a quick scan of the SMS tech docs ( http://www.romhacking.net/documents/128/ though http://www.romhacking.net/documents/297/ is also worth a look) and it appears you have a slightly interesting setup on the Master system and some of the same IO is shared between multiple controller ports (Joypad 2 Up/Down is in there) which could have good implications for all three. There is also a mirror of the IO state (not sure if debounced or not) for each port which might be interesting to fiddle with.

If you are not going to edit the emulator then it is your standard control hack, it tends to mean assembly level hack but not a major one.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 04, 2014, 05:01:11 pm »
How about a hack fix for "Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun"?

As you know, the game somehow has all of it's attacks implemented in the Y button
My idea for the hack is to fix this by mapping out which button does what attack

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 05, 2014, 12:31:10 am »
So I was playing a master system game called Cyborg Hunter on my PSP, before I realised that the only way to access the equipment menu was through a button on the second controller which isn't emulated by MasterBoy! I thought I'd leave it up to the fine folks of RHDN to find a way around this instead of switching emu because of a single game. Take it as a little challenge for bored people. ;)

Not familiar with the game, but SMS only has a D-Pad and two buttons, so one question is: is there a combination that isn't already used by the game?
(well, it has Pause, but the SMS handles that completely differently so it may not be as feasible to hack)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Oddoai-sama

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 05, 2014, 03:00:49 am »
Thanks for the replies. As far as the controls go, 1 is punch, 2 is jump, up uses an item or interacts with something in the background (door, computer, etc), right or left to move around, down to crouch. A Down+2 combination to open the menu wouldn't be half bad gameplay wise as this combination doesn't ever do anything more for a jump iirc (Down+1 is a crouched punch), currently this command is assigned to 1 or 2 on controller 2. Leaving the menu is 1 or 2 on the first controller though, thankfully.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:11:38 am by Oddoai-sama »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: January 05, 2014, 07:11:21 am »
Here's one I'm surprised no one has ever done; a translation of Assault Suit Leynos 2. It seems like a really good action game and anything Assault Suit related can't be bad.

PS- Speaking of which, a re-translation of the first game wouldn't be a bad idea either as it had similar censorship issues to Cybernator.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:23:54 am by Vanya »

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 07, 2014, 02:09:26 am »
On Animal Forest, mismatch animals' voices.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:55 am »
How about a retranslation hack of Moomin no Daibouken?
The english version "Moomin's tale" has less levels and no save feature, while the Japanese original has more levels and a save feature
basically it's received the same rubbish localization as "TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventure"

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 07, 2014, 10:11:18 am »
I gather it is not as fun as some of the Sylvanian Families stuff (I have yet to see a better example of the literal vs interpreted vs whatever debate) but from what I have seen the Japanese games are based on the Japanese cartoons/films/musicals/tv shows (they are unmistakably moomins but not necessarily the same as the original stuff) so you then get to play "how to do you localise it?". To that end your Japanese translator will probably need a passing familiarity with the series and possibly Finnish as well, such a person might be quite hard to come by.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 07, 2014, 10:54:08 am »
I gather it is not as fun as some of the Sylvanian Families stuff (I have yet to see a better example of the literal vs interpreted vs whatever debate) but from what I have seen the Japanese games are based on the Japanese cartoons/films/musicals/tv shows (they are unmistakably moomins but not necessarily the same as the original stuff) so you then get to play "how to do you localise it?". To that end your Japanese translator will probably need a passing familiarity with the series and possibly Finnish as well, such a person might be quite hard to come by.

Moomin's Tale is a good game, but when ya get down to it .. having no save feature in the english release kinda kills the joy

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 07, 2014, 06:52:15 pm »
I actually have the skills and a very general, unrefined idea  >:D

I wanna give something back to the awesome dogecoin community for being so zany and fun. I was thinking of making a quick little hack of Duck Tales, editing the moon level and replacing a bunch of stuff with the dogememe.

But are there any other really basic and fun games that would be easy to play, something that would be cool to edit up and share throughout a community?

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #996 on: January 07, 2014, 09:46:43 pm »
As I mentioned in the workshop post in the Newcomer's thread, perhaps you'll like to check out the list of No Mapper Games. (I don't believe it's complete, but it's fairly thorough at least)

These games are the most basic, and many have great potential with a graphics update. Aside from working on the graphics for Pyron, I have three open projects and one completed one, all of which are from this list.

If you have an idea for a quick hack, I would suggest using one of these as the base.

SmashFan127

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 07, 2014, 11:13:52 pm »
Can't believe I ask people of this, but here goes.

I would LOVE to see a game editor for Wild Arms 2 on the PlayStation. Enemy editors, sprite editors, weapon editors, world editors.... You get the idea. If someone does this, I will be eternally grateful.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 08, 2014, 09:22:11 am »
As I mentioned in the workshop post in the Newcomer's thread, perhaps you'll like to check out the list of No Mapper Games. (I don't believe it's complete, but it's fairly thorough at least)

Space Harrier is not mapper 0 (it is MMC1, 128KB). You can identify mapper 0 games because they have a 40KB limit.
Also, it looks like only the Japanese version of Star Force is mapper 0 (24KB). US/EU is 64KB, though I haven't checked what's different.
You listed Obake no Q-tarou, but not its western version Chubby Cherub (though I suppose the game is obscure to most non-collectors).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #999 on: January 08, 2014, 09:54:06 am »
Thanks. I took the list by scrolling through this one and typing by hand.

Looks like my mistakes on those. Perhaps I missed Son Son, which was adjacent to Space Harrier. I'll make the corrections.