News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1980456 times)

Jeville

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #920 on: November 19, 2013, 07:33:56 pm »
A female-oriented River City Ransom. (I totally didn't have the shower scene in mind oh man.)

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #921 on: November 19, 2013, 07:47:32 pm »
Well, I have an idea for a non-nintendo hack, but I'm sure MANY have heard: Castlevania Symphony of the Night PSX but with all the Saturn-exclusive content
I'd love to see this too. Even though the Cursed Prison was nothing special, I'd love to see the Underground Garden in its entirety (the videos I've seen showed only a few rooms).

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 20, 2013, 03:57:22 pm »
How about hacking the Namco version of Ms. Pac-Man along with Pac-Man for the NES and make them more arcade accurate as possible

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 21, 2013, 05:28:41 am »
In Megaman 3,
*Needle Cannon can damage buster deflecting enemies; pierce through shields;
*Spark Shock (See Ice Slasher)
*Shoot actual Tops instead of acting like one :/

But top spin is one of the most ridiculously overpowered weapon in the game :O

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 21, 2013, 07:41:00 am »
But top spin is one of the most ridiculously overpowered weapon in the game :O
Shadowman, just because you're weak against Top Spin doesn't mean its ridiculously overpowered!  :laugh:

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 21, 2013, 10:06:09 pm »
Maybe not, but it doesn't entirely suck, either. ;D
Well, he's just this guy, you know?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 21, 2013, 10:53:57 pm »
Doesn't Wily Wars even give you infinite ammo to make it even more spammable?
Like Charge Kick, it doesn't make logical sense to limit it. ;D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 22, 2013, 09:42:14 pm »
How about a hack overhaul of Mick and Mack on the Genesis
themed on Christmas

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 23, 2013, 01:14:15 pm »
Well, this thought had been pestering me last night and taking my sleep: Kingdom Hearts hack for Final Fantasy OR a Kingdom Hearts for NES made from scratch.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 23, 2013, 09:48:26 pm »
How about a Sweet Home hack themed after Gregory Horror Show?

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #930 on: November 24, 2013, 09:54:20 pm »
A female-oriented River City Ransom. (I totally didn't have the shower scene in mind oh man.)
I overlooked this post the other day.  Oops. :-[ Anyway, this idea has apparently already been done.  I've found one floating around under a name along the lines of "Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari Girl Version."

Also, while I'm here and since somebody mentioned Sweet Home, I once thought it would be amusing to do a hypothetical "what if?" hack that attempted to envision how the game might have been if it had been edited to follow NoA's content guidelines of the time.  Probably way more trouble than its worth, though.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:02:54 pm by Nosuch »
Well, he's just this guy, you know?

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 25, 2013, 06:18:05 am »
I overlooked this post the other day.  Oops. :-[ Anyway, this idea has apparently already been done.  I've found one floating around under a name along the lines of "Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari Girl Version."

I can't find the bath house  >:D

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 25, 2013, 05:24:03 pm »
How about a Warpman overhaul hack to make a enhanced port of Warpman's original arcade game "Warp & Warp"?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 26, 2013, 10:32:04 pm »
Never heard of Warpman. Thanks for bringing it up!

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 26, 2013, 10:38:49 pm »
Never heard of Warpman. Thanks for bringing it up!

Warpman is the console-only sequel to "Warp and Warp", "Warp and Warp" is a arcade game from the early '80s
It came here in the US by Rock-Ola under the name "Warp Warp"

but yeah, I think it will be sweet if someone did a overhaul hack of Warpman and retool it into a enhanced port of it's predecessor "Warp and Warp"

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 30, 2013, 01:18:00 am »
I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, so forgive me if I have.

I was wondering if it's possible to hack certain NES games to make them compatible with the Playchoice-10, and with a few alterations to the game.  For this example, we'll use TMNT2.

Suppose you hack the game so that it only starts if you insert a coin.  If you insert a coin for P1, you play as P1.  If you do that for P2, you play as P2.  In gameplay, the unused half of the status bar will flicker the message "Insert Coin", and when the coin is entered, that screen is turned into a miniature character select screen.  When you lose all your lives, your half of the status screen will show the message "Continue" with the numbers counting down, while the action continues.  When both players fail to continue, it cuts to the Game Over screen and takes you back to the title.  Also, during the attract mode, "Insert Coin" will be displayed at both portions of the status screen.

It's a bit of work, and TMNT2 itself was ported from an arcade game, but is it at all possible to do something like this?

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 30, 2013, 06:04:20 am »
How about a Daze Before Christmas hack where they add in 2nd player co-op and make the Ice Cream Bunny as a secondary playable character?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:40:47 am by CyberFox »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 30, 2013, 06:38:42 am »
I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, so forgive me if I have.

I was wondering if it's possible to hack certain NES games to make them compatible with the Playchoice-10, and with a few alterations to the game.  For this example, we'll use TMNT2.

Suppose you hack the game so that it only starts if you insert a coin.  If you insert a coin for P1, you play as P1.  If you do that for P2, you play as P2.  In gameplay, the unused half of the status bar will flicker the message "Insert Coin", and when the coin is entered, that screen is turned into a miniature character select screen.  When you lose all your lives, your half of the status screen will show the message "Continue" with the numbers counting down, while the action continues.  When both players fail to continue, it cuts to the Game Over screen and takes you back to the title.  Also, during the attract mode, "Insert Coin" will be displayed at both portions of the status screen.

It's a bit of work, and TMNT2 itself was ported from an arcade game, but is it at all possible to do something like this?

Interesting. A quick scan says the Playchoice-10 was basically a hardware compatible NES with a bit extra.
Are you planning to do this on an actual Playchoice-10, a replica affair (or a fancy NES mod even) where you can change a few things or an emulator type thing?

The issue of how the coins will work comes into play. There seem to be three main types.
1) Locks the controls until a coin is put in. This is more common in timer driven affairs (I was spared most of these, I can see hating them though even if games were typically hard enough to be functionally the same) which does seem to be the Playchoice-10's method of choice.
2) The coin mechanism acts as an extra button, a hidden button from the arcade (it may be that select does not exist on the front panel) or perhaps some impossible button combo (left and right at the same time for instance). Extra buttons over the original vs impossible combo might change things a tiny bit though if memory serves the NES controller was a saturated shift register so I am not expecting extra buttons.
3) The coin mechanism is the frontend to some extra hardware that either fiddles with the memory or is some bit of IO in there somewhere which the game can read.

3) and 1) can be combined a bit as well and the lives counter in a game might well spit something out and lock the controls.
NES games did allow for a bit of IO too and as you should only be throwing around a few bits at a time at rates nowhere near those which will trouble anything, TMNT2 uses MMC3/TLROM if http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Nesdev_Wiki is correct (and it is one of the better resources for this sort of thing).
On real hardware though it looks like there were some extras pertaining to exactly this.

Each method would impose different restrictions and assuming you are not going full emulation you may instead find yourself getting hands on with one of the programmable chips that people so enjoy playing with these days.

If going for the full arcade effect the "countdown to game over" thing they so often enjoyed might take some more thought to replicate.

Anyway the game over stuff is likely to be little more than a variation on infinite lives cheats, the other stuff is likely text/graphics hacking with the fun coming in how you might speak to the IO. Any harder things might be removing password screens.

If you are doing the emulator bit then if the emulator speaks lua (and many do) you could probably knock this out (or at least as far as the graphics side of things) over an afternoon including the time it takes you to learn enough lua to get by.

In short I do not see a major problem with this or even anything likely to really trouble you, give or take how you might feel about soldering and a bit of light electronics. Given you probably know far more about the Playchoice-10 than I then you are probably already doing prepping to play electrical engineer anyway to sort the expansion card issue.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:40:16 am by KingMike »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 30, 2013, 03:31:23 pm »
I don't have any sorta know-how with the PC-10, much less programming.  And I was thinking about making this work with the real PC-10 hardware, in case I ever opened up an arcade joint and had a couple of PC-10 units.

sets04

« Reply #939 on: December 01, 2013, 12:43:26 pm »
well I think we all know the game crash team racing ps1 but sadly the game that naughtydog there seemed no end.  :-\  :'(

what I want is a rom hack of crash team racing demo spiro removing and removing some other tracks to create new ones, which is not needed to do since I'm new here and I speak Spanish and my English is not is so good that haci say please I need all the help  :banghead:  :-[
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:52:30 pm by sets04 »