News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2426717 times)

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7180 on: December 21, 2020, 08:52:58 am »
We're overdue on a Pokemon Sword&Shield NDS hack
Also Calvin and Hobbes Nes roms,PSIII Rom hack(Major improvements to storyline,npcs,grahpics,exp&money multiplier)

ratedrguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: December 22, 2020, 07:54:59 am »
My favourite baseball game of all time is Triple Play 96 for the Sega Genesis.

After some searching, I notice there isn't much love for the game online - no roster updates, upgrades, etc.

Could the community provide me with suggestions on the best tools I could use to create a roster update to this game?

Thanks in advance.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: December 22, 2020, 05:06:11 pm »
As a general rule sports games are about as ignored by ROM hackers as they are by the general game buying public in charity shops and other sellers of second hand games. Megadrive/genesis likely more than most.

To that end I doubt you will find any documentation on it, much less premade utilities. The token quick scan of documents, the wiki and the utilities section of this site has not a lot. I assume you would have found anything external if you went searching.
It can make for a nice introduction to hacking however.

Generally speaking a team roster is not all that different to a roster in a RPG -- bunch of characters with a bunch of stats, allowable moves/weapons/spells, names, position/class and general appearance (or maybe number if this is a sports game)...  Indeed with so many characters and likely few of them having any unique abilities then you might even be better off and find it is all just numbers rather than something fancy baked into the code.

Finding such things in games can be slightly trickier than some other things but still within reason

Generally speaking there are two ways to do a stats table for characters

1) You have each character and each stat they have one after the other.
2) You have a table for each stat and then each character gets a value in that table.

There are perks and benefits to both approaches, and slight twists you can do (though most of those won't show up until somewhat later systems) but those are the main methods you will see to represent such things.

I would usually start by trying to find the stats in RAM (load different teams, or swap around characters with different stats and search for those) using a cheat search. If you are lucky then any character names will also be in the same tables (sometimes they are separate) so you might be able to do more text search methods (possibly even on the ROM)
Anyway when you find that then most times devs will store things the same in the ROM as they keep in RAM (doing maths when the code is running is far less fun than having it done beforehand).
If there are cheats for max speed or something then they will often attack such things so you might be able to skip that if there are some codes already made. If there is a training/RPG elements aspect then even better.

If not then you get to trace things back to the ROM -- find the location of stats in RAM, set a break on write to that location, hopefully when it pings up saying something wrote here and here is what is then in the preceding instructions will be where it found it in the ROM.
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ is my usual suggestion for tracing. It is for the GBA and for a command line emulator, nor do I know what we are suggesting for a megadrive/genesis debugger these days.
If you really must then you can skip finding stats in RAM the more conventional way and do something like note pixel or virtual map location of a character and set a breakpoint for anything changing that, somewhere in there will be a variable that accounts for individual speed of a character. If they have HP of some form then that also might be useful.

Anyway from there you should know the location and general layout of the stats tables. Can edit things if you want. Names should be much the same, and possibly even taken by a basic relative text search ( https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/513/ ).

stevengeilberg

• View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: December 25, 2020, 03:18:15 am »
Add music to The Punisher on NES. Doom music fits nicely, and there are 8 bit versions of the soundtrack that exist.  >:D

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: December 25, 2020, 12:15:13 pm »
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butoden 2 (Famicom bootleg):

+Arrange and relocate stages and music to match their SFC counterparts.

Optional: do a Dragon Ball FighterZ rom hack.

Ditch Teen Gohan for Frieza.
Ditch Trunks for Adult Gohan.
Ditch Cell Jr. for Kid Buu.
Ditch Zangya for Android 21.

EDR

• View Profile
« Reply #7185 on: December 25, 2020, 10:02:32 pm »
DOUBLE EXPERIENCE AND GOLD IN DRAGON QUEST IV NES

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: December 26, 2020, 01:11:01 am »
Use any Megaman NES game that had 8 RMs as a base, and implement the RMs from MM1 and then add Time and Oil Man to replace the rest of the original RMs.

Kind of surprised no one thought of it yet.

xstuff

• View Profile
    • Deviantart.com
« Reply #7187 on: December 26, 2020, 01:49:39 am »
Use any Megaman NES game that had 8 RMs as a base, and implement the RMs from MM1 and then add Time and Oil Man to replace the rest of the original RMs.

Kind of surprised no one thought of it yet.

Someone on here attempted that at first but later decided to make a fangame of it instead: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=7323.0

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7188 on: December 26, 2020, 05:06:01 am »
Someone on here attempted that at first but later decided to make a fangame of it instead: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=7323.0

I like this one alot.*
So you are also saying? Remake Mega man 1 yet Build it entirely inside Megaman 2?

-I am also trying to see if ANYONE is ever going to Make 'a story Intro' before the game title into
Megaman 1 press start begins, etc etc for the NES rom.

Just like they did for Megaman 3, 'adding the extra story intro before the game actually begins.'

Megaman 1 NES has absolutely no intro what-so ever.

When is anybody going to make one for this game??
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:11:23 am by SkyLizardGirl »
-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: December 26, 2020, 09:14:43 am »

I like this one alot.*
So you are also saying? Remake Mega man 1 yet Build it entirely inside Megaman 2?

-I am also trying to see if ANYONE is ever going to Make 'a story Intro' before the game title into
Megaman 1 press start begins, etc etc for the NES rom.

Just like they did for Megaman 3, 'adding the extra story intro before the game actually begins.'

Megaman 1 NES has absolutely no intro what-so ever.

When is anybody going to make one for this game??

I highly second this idea.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: December 26, 2020, 10:49:28 am »
Throwing an idea into the void, even if I could and probably should just do it myself.

So I was detailing how to do a fighting game selection cheat for hidden characters
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=32002.0
Feel like linking a similar concept (albeit with bugs you sometimes get for doing such things) from gametrailers' pop fiction series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r-oaaWsPE8

What if in Streets of Rage 2 or 3 where you get the hidden characters after beating them and using a continue to change characters then every life ends up being a random character swap. Permadeath might be interesting twist if you fancied it. Depending upon how good your players are you might want to spike difficulty as well but that can be a different discussion.
Mode of operations would probably be
Find what value sorts the character selection (might want to drop the lives and see what the continues function does to select a character) and upon death (set a break on lives counter change) fire a random character swap function instead (might even be choose random data from somewhere in memory and have that be a pick, the permadeath option might need a bit more work).
Might even force me to get better with some of the lesser picked characters or make for an amusing challenge mode.

Now I agree I should probably just go grab beats of rage (or one of the other remake efforts) and play with source code but thought it could be a nice hack. Could also achieve the same effect by pumping up continues and decreasing lives (don't know if megadrive cheat devices have nice if higher/lower than checks) to basically force a swap and then doing something a bit random following deaths off my own back but that is crude (score drops, time to get back to game higher, have to do something myself...).

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7191 on: December 26, 2020, 03:31:55 pm »
Make Megaman 1 for the NES have an actual Story Intro before the game starts.

Just like for Megaman 3
-Blaster Master Hacker

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: December 26, 2020, 04:09:57 pm »
The remake of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story for the 3DS has all sorts of problems, to where I'm surprised nobody's done a "Majora's Mask 3D" style restoration project for it:

1. Bring the game to a CONSISTENT 60fps, and fix the sped up attacks that brings with it
2. Swap out the soundtrack for the original (since it's already in the game for the music player)
3. Edit Bowser's animations in the 3D sections to not seem so goofy
4. Fix the various incorrect voice clips to play the same ones from the original
5. Fix any various sprites that are not as unique or expressive as the original
6. Add the ability to save anywhere

A similar hack for the Superstar Saga remake, touching up the sprites, bringing back the original soundtrack, and making the game harder, wouldn't be remiss either.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 01:57:41 am by BlazeHeatnix »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: December 26, 2020, 11:46:09 pm »
Idea for Sonic hacks: Sparkster.
Preferably with his HP system, enemies dropping health once in a while, rings replaced by gems (gathering 100 gems would instead give full HP, but if you were at full HP it would give an extra life instead.
Chaos Emeralds would be replaced by the Seven Swords.
S1 Special Stage would instead be static (unless you touch a R, at which point it would rotate either left or right by 90°) and you'd have infinite boost.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7194 on: December 27, 2020, 09:34:50 am »
Popful Mail (MCD) Improvement
-Tighter scrolling
-Longer invincibility time for the player chars after taking a hit and shorter for enemies
-Change the animation when standing at the edge of a platform that so that it doesn't stop you from attacking nor turns you around towards the edge
-A bit faster recharging for projectile weapons
-Can't shoot enemies or be attacked from off screen
-Spike traps in the last fortress do a bit more damage
-More treasure to find in later areas
-Removed leaps of faith
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7195 on: December 27, 2020, 02:35:00 pm »
Links Awakening DX GBC deep hack.

'Give the Wind fish Egg an Actual Level 9th Dungeon.'
With 2 or 4 floors.

Not just a pit falling to the final boss right from the go.

^Save that until you reach the final Boss's lair, then do that.
-Blaster Master Hacker

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #7196 on: December 28, 2020, 08:09:39 am »
Earthbound Zero/Mother (NES/GBA):

-Program the GBA version's RNG to work the same way as the NES version's.

-Empower insecticides against Titanees/Titanians (to match Mother 3.  I mean, what are they supposed to be, if not arachnids?)

-Increase PP required for the following levels of Healing (so that antidotes are not useless thanks to alpha; subsequent levels should also be more expensive):

--alpha: 12
--beta: 18
--gamma: 24
--pi: 30

-Restore the Time Machine item and its actual purpose.  (Super Bombs should be relocated to the Reindeer Dept. Store 5F, where you can already get regular Bombs, which you can't get in the Twinkle Elementary science lab.)

-Allow respective enemies to drop a Poison Needle or Stone of Origin.

-Restore names and sprites that were changed for localization.

-Allow LifeUp Creams to revive fallen party members.  (They were called Medicine in Mother.)

-Reprice the following items much more reasonably:

--Berry Tofu ($975/$487 > $81/$40)
--Bomb ($280/$140 > $23/$12)
--Insecticide ($300/$150 > $25/$12)
--Laser Beam ($760/$380 > $63/$31)
--Last Weapon ($1,048/$524 > $87/$43)
--Mouthwash ($175/$87 > $15/$8)
--Plasma Beam ($1,300/$650 > $108/$54)
--Real Rocket ($3,485 > $290)
--Repel Ring ($160/$80 > $13/$6)
--Rope ($600/$300 > $50/$25)
--Sticky Machine ($3,200/$1,600 > $267/$133)
--Super Bomb ($1,800/$900 > $150/$75)
--Time Machine ($2,775 > $231)

Earthbound (SNES):

-Allow players to change the text flavor mid-game.

-Option to have the game pause any rolling HP when entering commands.  (Anyone whose HP is still rolling should stop between digits to indicate that.)

-Maintain the "Use" option for unconscious characters' items, but display a message if you actually select it.  (Point is to prevent someone from dropping an item they meant to give someone else.)

-Allow players to use an item instead of tossing something before collecting an enemy gift.

-Allow players to trade items between characters, instead of having to transfer each item individually.

-Relocate Rainy Circle to the beginning of the cave in Winters (so that Tough Crocodiles don't remain unfought).

-Decrease money yields by all enemies in the following locations, by the following ratios.  (It overflows the more you progress, giving you easy access to Multi Bottle Rockets that can one-shot most bosses.)

--Twoson chapter: Subtract 1/12 of all money yields.  (For example, an Annoying Old Party Man should yield $29.  32/12 = 2.6 = 3; 32 - 3 = 29)
--Threed and Winters: -1/6
--Grapefruit Falls, Belch's factory, and Milky Well: -1/4
--Dusty Dunes Desert and Fourside (and Shrooom!): -1/3
--Summers, Fourside Sewers, and Pink Cloud Shrine: -5/12
--Scaraba: -1/2
--Deep Darkness: -7/12
--Winters (3rd visit) and Lumine Hall: -2/3
--Lost Underworld: -3/4
--Magicant: -5/6
--Endgame: -11/12

Full list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P0duRh8U1SIe_gPJMF2l9E-NLcuoZ-4zzj7icEcIxc8/edit?usp=sharing

-Render the following enemies susceptible to Rust Promoters:

--Enraged Fire Plug
--Mr. Molecule

--Final Starman
--Ghost of Starman
--Starman
--Starman DX
--Starman Jr.
--Starman Super

(I might come back here to add in stuff both games should communicate directly during battle or shopping.  Need some time to think those over first.  If anyone's interested in those but I still haven't come back, please message me, and I will get back to you next time I swing by here (admittedly, I don't come here very often, but checking messages is always the first thing I do anywhere).)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:58:45 am by McKnight »

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: December 28, 2020, 10:04:29 pm »
A good NDS hack would be Fire Emblem 3 Houses since it's only on the switch

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: December 30, 2020, 11:38:44 pm »
Idea for a romhack of River City Ransom: Yakuza. Could use an original plot and all, even carry over improvements from Jidaigeki.

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: December 31, 2020, 01:38:47 am »
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter For PS2
- remove the save token item requirement just to save game data when using save points

Resident Evil 4 For PS2
- create a press and hold button patch for automatic rapid button press during the game's several QTE's, these kinds of game mechanics usually breaks down controller buttons, seriously...
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos