News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2266404 times)

noodle495

• View Profile
Re: Sonic, Sonic 2, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles ROM Improvements Requested!
« Reply #7120 on: November 24, 2020, 03:58:01 pm »
Aren't these fixes available in hacks that have already been made?

Technically yes, to an extent. But none of them have really been perfected...

• Attempts at integrating the Spin Dash and Drop Dash mechanics have been found but were left incomplete.
  • Some of the glitches had been removed but sadly not all of them as those projects were inevitably left unfinished.
  • Sonic 3 Complete achieved much of what I wanted done but was unfortunately left a bit bloated with all the extra settings
  • And it in fact does not actually use the original SEGA '93 prototype tracks for all of the tracks previously mentioned in the original post.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Re: Classic Sonic ROMs - Improvements Requested!
« Reply #7121 on: November 24, 2020, 05:13:09 pm »
As far as I know, Sonic 3 Complete and Sonic 3 - A.I.R have these corrections, or at least most of them.

noodle495

• View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: November 24, 2020, 05:34:48 pm »
As far as I know, Sonic 3 Complete and Sonic 3 - A.I.R have these corrections, or at least most of them.

Again technically yes, to an extent. But none of them have really been perfected...

• Attempts at integrating the Spin Dash and Drop Dash mechanics have been found but were left incomplete.
  • Some of the glitches had been removed but sadly not all of them as those projects were inevitably left unfinished.
  • Sonic 3 Complete achieved much of what I wanted done but was unfortunately left a bit bloated with all the extra settings
  • And it in fact does not actually use the original SEGA '93 prototype tracks for all of the tracks previously mentioned in the original post.

But I'm looking for someone who can make all of these changes to each of the original ROMs and make them playable on original hardware.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:42:07 pm by noodle495 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: November 24, 2020, 05:37:42 pm »
For Sonic 3, search for a hack called "Sonic 3 Complete"
For both Sonic 1 & 2, stick to "Sonic Classic Heroes", as that one combines both Sonic 1 & 2, and allows you to use all 3 characters at the same time, being able to switch between whichever you want at any time.
I believe Sonic 3 Complete has Tails Assist, though I'm not sure of Classic Heroes has it too (if not, simply switch to Tails and fly away).

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7124 on: November 25, 2020, 05:13:13 pm »
simple hack to have an R-type 8-bit "Spin-Off" in Natsume's NES game Action In New York (S.C.A.T.) / Final Mission in Japan

I always thought SCAT would actually make a better Forgotten Worlds game.

xsc

• View Profile
« Reply #7125 on: November 25, 2020, 06:08:37 pm »
Please translate the Japanese text in "Stardust Suplex" and "JWP: Pure Wrestling Queens" on Super Famicom into English.

These are great games that would love a translation!
They don't have a ton of Japanese text in menus like Fire Pro (the game play is very similar to those games, which is a good thing, and four player options are available), but mostly in inter-titles, taunts, endings, etc.

noodle495

• View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: November 25, 2020, 11:15:29 pm »
Could someone help make a few changes to Sonic 3 & Knuckles?
  • Sonic 2-style sprites.
  • Knuckles' Hang Mobile (Egg-Robo) sprites.
  • Include the following scrapped prototype tracks.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:40:39 pm by noodle495 »

HARVEST

• View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: November 26, 2020, 12:13:51 am »
I really want the official Subsistence translations of Metal Gear 1 and 2 ported back to the MSX2 versions.
The fan translations are outdated and are not as good as the official ones that came with MGS3 Subsistence.

This is especially important as the Subsistence ports have lower framerates than the original MSX2 versions.

stirlock

• View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: November 26, 2020, 12:01:56 pm »
Hello, everyone!
I have a request that might sound strange to some of you.
My name is Mike and I'm a totally blind gamer. My request is this.
Would it be possible to add wall bump sounds to dragon quest Ix for the ds? I've been playing the pokemon games since RBY, which are playable by the blind thanks to this mechanic. Some of the previous dq games have this as well, including dragon quest Xi's 2d mode. If anyone could add this I would be eternally grateful!

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: November 26, 2020, 04:02:55 pm »
Is it okay if I bump this idea back up?
Ideas for Castlevania Aria of Sorrow:
Replace souls and weapons with more usable counterparts (example: restore Valmanway to its former glory of 31 Att and make it more spammable, make Slime work more like Mario's fireball)
and this to replace Positron Rifle:

(for the record, I would have succeeded, but the game crashed when I tried using it. Dunno why, all I did was change sprites, icon move the sprites a bit (like a couple pixels at most) and change the text. Absurd Luck is a mistake, it was supposed to LOWER the luck greatly)

To give a better idea of how I'd want the Katana type weapons to work (I tried doing it in DSVania, but that thing LOVES making it complex to edit, specially without visual reference for Soma's position when editing skills & weapons sprite), here's some GIFs I baked of Photoshop to give an idea of length (and maybe animations) (yes, using the Mars+Wind combo from Circle of the Moon):
Most Katana

Later Katana

Osafune

If not, sorry for doing so.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: November 26, 2020, 09:53:49 pm »
Hello everyone! I've come here to commission anyone who can customize the aforementioned ROMs for me.

Of which I want the following done:

Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Carry over the Spin Dash mechanic.
  • Correct all known glitches found during gameplay.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Include a single-player Tails Assist and flight during multiplayer.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
  • Bring back the Drop Dash mechanic.
  • Include a single-player Tails Assist and flight during multiplayer.
  • Remove the erroneous Dr. Eggman sprite during Knuckles' Hang Mobile battle.
  • Replace all of the following tracks with that of the original unused SEGA '93 prototypes.
Flying Battery - Hang Mobile (Egg-Robo) updated sprite sheet.

S2-style sprite sheet for use in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.

Note - I'm not looking for previous unfinished projects or Sonic 3 Complete.

I gotta say that this is pretty decent. The Sonic 2 style sprites work pretty well here and feel more like what 3 should've been at the time. Now if someone did it in Sonic 1 style, they'd be set

noodle495

• View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: November 26, 2020, 10:30:38 pm »
I gotta say that this is pretty decent. The Sonic 2 style sprites work pretty well here and feel more like what 3 should've been at the time. Now if someone did it in Sonic 1 style, they'd be set

Do you mean like these? Btw, I've edited my original post because it was too much being asked. :laugh:

noodle495

• View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: November 26, 2020, 11:38:42 pm »
For Sonic 3, search for a hack called "Sonic 3 Complete"
For both Sonic 1 & 2, stick to "Sonic Classic Heroes", as that one combines both Sonic 1 & 2, and allows you to use all 3 characters at the same time, being able to switch between whichever you want at any time.
I believe Sonic 3 Complete has Tails Assist, though I'm not sure of Classic Heroes has it too (if not, simply switch to Tails and fly away).

I'm mainly hoping to play some simple mods via the Mega EverDrive Pro.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: November 27, 2020, 12:35:21 am »
I'm mainly hoping to play some simple mods via the Mega EverDrive Pro.
Both Sonic 3 Complete and Sonic Classic Heroes should be compatible with the Everdrive Pro with no issues in real hardware.

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
Re: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - Changes Requested!
« Reply #7134 on: November 27, 2020, 08:02:02 am »
I saw some of these changes used by Sonic A.I.R (S3&K 16:9 for Windows)

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: November 27, 2020, 10:11:17 am »
Hello, everyone!
I have a request that might sound strange to some of you.
My name is Mike and I'm a totally blind gamer. My request is this.
Would it be possible to add wall bump sounds to dragon quest Ix for the ds? I've been playing the pokemon games since RBY, which are playable by the blind thanks to this mechanic. Some of the previous dq games have this as well, including dragon quest Xi's 2d mode. If anyone could add this I would be eternally grateful!

I don't know what the blind gamer setups are like for the DS right now but DS emulators have Lua and thus you could probably add something like a player location detection script (might be related to OAM but more likely a virtual one, easy enough to find with cheats) and note something like if it sees a button press but does not see an attendant change in the location value.
Many other games function like this so you could probably even adapt the script and render some other games more playable in the future (and as Lua is on many other emulators then those too). If you find the game's internal map (a bit more involved but still well within reason) you can do things like coordinate readouts, distances to walls, sprite detection if someone on a little walk loop walks in the way and so forth. I did have a basics of how such things might work in another thread a few days back https://gbatemp.net/threads/possibility-of-game-changes-when-i-x-with-ds-emulators.577526/

Otherwise should not be too bad to find the movement routines and if another map action has a sound (open door, open chest, if there is an attack then that...) then borrow the call method to play a sound in the game's SDAT file; most DS games use the same sound format which is well understood and easy enough to add things to, even easier to call an existing sound if that will do.
I don't have my DS hacking setup with me at this point, however if someone else is wanting to start on DS assembly this would be a nice starter project.
Find some action that uses a key press and calls a sound. Now you hopefully know the sound call (should mostly be a matter of telling it to play a numbered effect). If you used a key press then should be easy enough to find the thing handling direction presses too (it will tend to be the same thing or nearby), if you used something else then time to find the key press ( http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dskeypad ).
Find the direction button handler and what it does for collisions (probably compares against some internal map but can be trickier, you don't really care what it does as much as finding it to tack something on). When a collision happens then rather than just handling the collision take the sound call you learned earlier and have it fire off one for the collision as well.
I can't imagine doing this will be too long an addition to the binary, however if you do need extra space then I would suggest looking at the DS ARM9 binary. For wifi enabled games then all the random error strings for odd network failures tend to be there. As said network is now down and even if you are on the replacement service you are unlikely to encounter this error.

If you need to edit the SDAT there are plenty of tools. Chances are most effects will be using the SWAV sub type, possibly buried in SWAR. 99% of games will have something that will suffice, or a leftover from development that is not used in the game you can overwrite. If you are a funny type you can have it call a nice character death scream. Adding new SWAV, be it standalone or in SWAR, is not the worst thing in the world though.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7136 on: November 27, 2020, 05:14:31 pm »
Somebody hack Ducktales NES 1 & 2  and make them Shovel Knight Nes Fan games.

(Replace Scrooge and Nephews and characters with Shovel Knight characters.)

Replace Bosses with some Shovel Knight Bosses.

;)
-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #7137 on: November 27, 2020, 05:51:15 pm »
Undub hack for Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, adding back the multiple voice clips from the japanese version.
Bottom Text.

stirlock

• View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: November 27, 2020, 07:37:57 pm »
I don't know what the blind gamer setups are like for the DS right now but DS emulators have Lua and thus you could probably add something like a player location detection script (might be related to OAM but more likely a virtual one, easy enough to find with cheats) and note something like if it sees a button press but does not see an attendant change in the location value.
Many other games function like this so you could probably even adapt the script and render some other games more playable in the future (and as Lua is on many other emulators then those too). If you find the game's internal map (a bit more involved but still well within reason) you can do things like coordinate readouts, distances to walls, sprite detection if someone on a little walk loop walks in the way and so forth. I did have a basics of how such things might work in another thread a few days back https://gbatemp.net/threads/possibility-of-game-changes-when-i-x-with-ds-emulators.577526/

Otherwise should not be too bad to find the movement routines and if another map action has a sound (open door, open chest, if there is an attack then that...) then borrow the call method to play a sound in the game's SDAT file; most DS games use the same sound format which is well understood and easy enough to add things to, even easier to call an existing sound if that will do.
I don't have my DS hacking setup with me at this point, however if someone else is wanting to start on DS assembly this would be a nice starter project.
Find some action that uses a key press and calls a sound. Now you hopefully know the sound call (should mostly be a matter of telling it to play a numbered effect). If you used a key press then should be easy enough to find the thing handling direction presses too (it will tend to be the same thing or nearby), if you used something else then time to find the key press ( http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dskeypad ).
Find the direction button handler and what it does for collisions (probably compares against some internal map but can be trickier, you don't really care what it does as much as finding it to tack something on). When a collision happens then rather than just handling the collision take the sound call you learned earlier and have it fire off one for the collision as well.
I can't imagine doing this will be too long an addition to the binary, however if you do need extra space then I would suggest looking at the DS ARM9 binary. For wifi enabled games then all the random error strings for odd network failures tend to be there. As said network is now down and even if you are on the replacement service you are unlikely to encounter this error.

If you need to edit the SDAT there are plenty of tools. Chances are most effects will be using the SWAV sub type, possibly buried in SWAR. 99% of games will have something that will suffice, or a leftover from development that is not used in the game you can overwrite. If you are a funny type you can have it call a nice character death scream. Adding new SWAV, be it standalone or in SWAR, is not the worst thing in the world though.
So not sure if this would be helpful at all, but here's a point of reference. I have no scripting skill, but this project was made using lua and a specific version of VBA. It makes pokemon crystal more accessible to screen reading software. https://allinaccess.com/pca/
Hopefully someone can find this useful as a point of reference for DQ9 hacking in some way. I would even be willing to compensate whoever works on this for their efforts.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: November 30, 2020, 12:35:14 am »
So, if I recall correctly, the original concept of Legend of Zelda was post apocalyptic where the Hero would hunt pieces of a computer chip to get to defeat the bad guy... So, here's an idea: a Fallout Zelda hack. Rupees replaced by caps, the Bow would instead be a Bottle Cap Rifle (just so we get creative), Magic Rod and Book would be replaced by a Rocket Launcher or somethin'... And so on, of course. Rather than having the "Pay for door repair" guys, have those NPCs give you a random amount of rupee for "saving them from dying stuck in there".