News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2263528 times)

joyeux

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7080 on: November 13, 2020, 05:59:34 am »
I tried asking in several forums but it seems NBA Jam TE 32X is not a really popular game.

I'm a flash cart user and the only way to play the game in real hardware is using a hack to DISABLE the saves. Using the unmodified rom gives blue jailbars on the screen.

The game uses EEPROM, If someone skilled could please make the saves work via SRAM (which would solve the problem) it would make me and some others very grateful.

Hi, I just came here to quote myself and remind we still don't have a NBA Jam Tournament Edition Sega 32X SRAM hack!

NBA JAM TE for the 32X is considered the best port of the game (along with the Jaguar one), even better than Playstation and Saturn ones. The original carts EEPROM are dying everywhere, and finding a working original 32X cartridge is becoming hard and expensive.

Please, anyone who is interested, replicate this message!

Thanks!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7081 on: November 13, 2020, 06:31:58 am »
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (GBA) Improvement
-Can switch between the Kirbys in SP to use the others as an ability inventory of sorts for ability gated paths
-All one-way paths between rooms removed so you don't have to replay a level from the entry point if you screwed up a puzzle or didn't happen to have the right ability at the right time (hard blocks for example)
-Puzzle elements (chain bomb blocks) reset when re-entering a room so you don't randomly get locked out of a path based on trial & error or from making one mistake
-Gameplay doesn't pause when CPU allies use abilities
-Better spark ability maybe?
-CPU allies can't trigger chain reaction bomb blocks and ruin puzzles for you nor can they push kirby

This makes better use of the allies and makes the exploration actually fun like in a proper metroidvania game, instead of tedious.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 02:02:41 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: November 13, 2020, 04:18:19 pm »
I love Castlevania Symphony of the night but the music final tocatta playing in most areas of the inverted castle gets real annoying real quick. Perhaps maybe some of the reverse areas could have different music.

retro dude

• View Profile
we NEED a megami tensei 2 translation
« Reply #7083 on: November 13, 2020, 07:57:17 pm »
i want megami tensei 2 in my rom collection but its a japanese game so i need a translation. The problem is that the only translation for this game on this site is abadoned and incomplete. AND many plans for a translation were abadoned. We NEED a megami tensei 2 translation on this site thats actually complete. Hopefully this comment will inspire many of you to do so.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: November 13, 2020, 09:09:00 pm »
So I’ve been addicted to Mario 35 lately and was pondering how one would port the experience to the NES original as rom hack. I know someone said “physics” and yeah that would be nice (at least, if it were possible, add the ability to hold the button down to bounce on enemies ala SMB3 and onward)

But also, I don’t think it would be too crazy to make a sort of “Endless Mario” inspired by Mario 35

-Remove the Scoring system, keep it time based (start with 30 seconds, beating enemies, clearing levels, etc adds to the timer)
-Replace scoring points with adding time
-Levels are randomly queued, you can probably cut out the extra “cutscene” of finishing a level and just jump straight to the next level
-As the levels are randomly queued, Warp Zones will just be the next levels in the queue.

The really tricky thing would be if/how you want to add the Power up Box.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: November 13, 2020, 10:42:01 pm »
So, after playing around with the game and especially after watching someone play through it, I've decided that I want a modification for the classic Super Castlevania IV which makes it play more like the NES games and Rondo of Blood.  Basically, the following changes would be made:
  • Disable the ability to lash the whip in any of eight directions*
  • Disable the ability to brandish the whip by holding the attack button*
  • Disable the ability to change the direction of a jump in mid-air
  • Extend the invulnerability frames to match the NES games
    (* Some whip hooks would need to be relocated as a consequence of this.)
As far as I can tell, this shouldn't really interfere with the game too much, and it would make a good challenge for people who like that sort of thing, as well as let people who say "the game is too easy; you only need the whip" put their money where their mouth is.  I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, though.  I just know some code would need to be added, removed, or altered to make this happen… which means it's out of my league.

Anyway, just a random idea!

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: November 13, 2020, 11:23:35 pm »
So, after playing around with the game and especially after watching someone play through it, I've decided that I want a modification for the classic Super Castlevania IV which makes it play more like the NES games and Rondo of Blood.  Basically, the following changes would be made:
  • Disable the ability to lash the whip in any of eight directions*
  • Disable the ability to brandish the whip by holding the attack button*
  • Disable the ability to change the direction of a jump in mid-air
  • Extend the invulnerability frames to match the NES games
    (* Some whip hooks would need to be relocated as a consequence of this.)
As far as I can tell, this shouldn't really interfere with the game too much, and it would make a good challenge for people who like that sort of thing, as well as let people who say "the game is too easy; you only need the whip" put their money where their mouth is.  I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, though.  I just know some code would need to be added, removed, or altered to make this happen… which means it's out of my league.

Anyway, just a random idea!

In other words: don't make it Super anymore. Nothing against it, however, I do think the multidirectional and waggle whip is too OP after all.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: November 14, 2020, 12:26:43 am »
In other words: don't make it Super anymore.

Funny you mention that, Tsu.  I actually bookmarked my idea post as "Normal Castlevania IV."  Heh heh.

VintageHondaBikeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: November 14, 2020, 09:31:46 am »
Slalom (NES) - No brake during freestyle tricks:

Slalom (U).nes
$B139:06
Game Genie: TALUPP

Slalom (E).nes
$B13D:06
Game Genie: TALUIP

VS Slalom (VS).nes
$B3C0:06
Game Genie: TEGLAL

I'm not really familiar with this game so I'm not 100% sure there are no side effects, but this fix seems to work fine.

Thank you for letting me know about this!  I've looked for a GG code like this in the past and wasn't able to locate one.  I appreciate it.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: we NEED a megami tensei 2 translation
« Reply #7089 on: November 14, 2020, 01:59:00 pm »
i want megami tensei 2 in my rom collection but its a japanese game so i need a translation.
Well, jeepers, if you just want it in your "ROM collection", just put it there and pretend it has been translated. :P

If you actually want to play the game, may I suggest trying the auto-translation feature that was recently added to Retroarch?

Hopefully this comment will inspire many of you to do so.
This is a game in one of the more popular and well-known RPG series and I expect people already have all the "inspiration" they need to translate it. Since it hasn't happened already, that would suggest it is probably extremely difficult to translate.

This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: November 14, 2020, 02:17:39 pm »
i want megami tensei 2 in my rom collection but its a japanese game so i need a translation. The problem is that the only translation for this game on this site is abadoned and incomplete. AND many plans for a translation were abadoned. We NEED a megami tensei 2 translation on this site thats actually complete. Hopefully this comment will inspire many of you to do so.

DDSTranslation translated Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, which is a remake of Megami Tensei I and II on SNES. You can just play that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:36:46 am by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: November 14, 2020, 02:24:48 pm »

Tom and DDS are working on it, I think. I see updates from time to time on MT2 on Tom's Twitter.

Santhacklaus

• View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: November 14, 2020, 02:42:50 pm »
Thank you for letting me know about this!  I've looked for a GG code like this in the past and wasn't able to locate one.  I appreciate it.

I've briefly looked for existing codes and couldn't find much either... so I made one myself! :)
It does seem to make the game a little more fun.

And since I found the steering a bit frustrating, I looked into it and found how to alter it:

For Slalom (U).nes
- Increase the value of $B2B1 and $B2BB (up to #$3F) to reduce the inertia when you release the left/right button.
  This can make the game a lot easier.
- Increase the value of $B2C7, $B2D2, $B2DC and $B2E7 (up to #$3F) for faster steering.
  This too can make the game a lot easier.

Converted to Game Genie codes:

Reduce inertia (to the max)
YULLPX
YULULX

Faster steering (to the max)
YUGLYX
YUILZX
YUIUGX
YUTLYX

TBH, these codes make the game so much easier that it almost kills the fun, but they can be altered to lessen their effect.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 02:48:08 pm by Santhacklaus »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7093 on: November 14, 2020, 02:59:09 pm »
I dunno if anyone ever mentioned it, but I'd love to see Sonia Belmont in Castlevania IV. :)

retro dude

• View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: November 14, 2020, 04:44:36 pm »
fair point jorpho i guess i will just have megami tensei 2 in my rom collection untill a complete translation arives

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7095 on: November 14, 2020, 08:04:42 pm »
Wasn't Sinis working on something like that?
Regardless, a simple sprite swap should be fairly easy to get done with the current tools available, no?

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7096 on: November 14, 2020, 08:10:56 pm »
Wasn't Sinis working on something like that?
Regardless, a simple sprite swap should be fairly easy to get done with the current tools available, no?

Now that you mentioned I think he was, I'm gonna have to reach out to him and ask him, he's been MIA for a while now. I'm confident with the current tools out it can be done, hopefully someone'll answer the call, CV IV is a favorite next to Rondo of Blood. :)

KurisuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: November 15, 2020, 11:25:35 am »
So i recently collected all the GBA final fantasy's which is all of them from 1 to 6, except 3.

Im thinking of making a custom gba cover for 3 and add the game as a gba game neatly with the rest. I would

like it if the game had a gba logo booting up, before the title screen comes. I was thinkiing along the lines of this.

https://ibb.co/XSNZZvP

Could anyone help me out ?

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #7098 on: November 15, 2020, 11:39:16 am »
I dunno if anyone ever mentioned it, but I'd love to see Sonia Belmont in Castlevania IV. :)

You should talk to bogaabogaa. He has done alot of extensive modding/hacking with SCV4 and knows the ins and outs of the games code. If anyone can put Sonia in SCV4, it would be him. I recommend getting Serio's Sonia sprites. They are a perfect match graphic wise for the stylings of SCV4.  8)
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: November 15, 2020, 01:32:45 pm »
You should talk to bogaabogaa. He has done alot of extensive modding/hacking with SCV4 and knows the ins and outs of the games code. If anyone can put Sonia in SCV4, it would be him. I recommend getting Serio's Sonia sprites. They are a perfect match graphic wise for the stylings of SCV4.  8)

I agree. Those sprites should even fit in the space taken up by Simon's sprites.
I think I'll ask about this myself. I have a few other ideas now that I thought about it more.

EDIT:

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24158.msg342249#msg342249

Bogaabogaa has info on doing this in the thread about editing the game.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:43:34 pm by Vanya »