News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2102295 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6860 on: August 20, 2020, 11:50:42 pm »
I've been playing Ocarina of Time Redux and it's pretty great. I'm sure the same could be done for Master Quest and honestly I'd be happy with exactly that, but I think it would be even better if it was possible to add double damage from the 3DS remake as well... and possibly even mirroring the map, but I imagine that would take a lot of work and would muck up some cutscenes or something.
You're in for a treat, my friend.
I've been cooking up something of that vein, and it's about to bevready. Be on the lookout for it :^}

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: August 21, 2020, 08:14:41 am »
Pending that if having enemies pack twice the punch can't you make a cheat to set max health to half (assuming you don't just not pick up heart pieces). A few other hacks have done similar things over the years (usually more forcing 3 heart/5 heart* runs but same principle)

*I don't recall offhand what this one does but do note that you can have quarter hearts at points so 5 hearts is more likely to be 20 decimal in numbers somewhere in there.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6862 on: August 21, 2020, 11:30:53 am »
Here's another hack idea, put Mario, Luigi, Wario & Waluigi in New Ghost busters II. I think it'd be a good fit.  :laugh: :D

Goros Lair

• View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: August 21, 2020, 12:28:22 pm »
I believe that it should be interesting the following hacks:

1 - Lost Vikings (SNES) -> 3 players mode
2 - Lost Vikings 2 (SNES) -> 3 players mode
3 - Animaniacs (SNES) - 3 players mode
4 - Herc's Adventures (PS1) - 3 players mode

C ya,
Goro.

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: August 21, 2020, 04:37:08 pm »
Here's another hack idea, put Mario, Luigi, Wario & Waluigi in New Ghost busters II. I think it'd be a good fit.  :laugh: :D

I'd sign that motion. :thumbsup:
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: August 21, 2020, 05:04:19 pm »
I believe that it should be interesting the following hacks:

1 - Lost Vikings (SNES) -> 3 players mode
2 - Lost Vikings 2 (SNES) -> 3 players mode
3 - Animaniacs (SNES) - 3 players mode
4 - Herc's Adventures (PS1) - 3 players mode

C ya,
Goro.

Yes, that would be amazing to have co-op with all three Warners to be playable in the SNES Animaniacs game

Xander max

• View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: August 21, 2020, 07:11:47 pm »
This idea is already being implemented, the playable characters will be Mario, Luige, Wario, Waluige and Dr. A. Luado
 https://youtu.be/bC94szhZdx0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:58:31 pm by Xander max »
Check out dozens of my projects on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdGHNhopquBMifjhdNSWQTA/videos

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: August 21, 2020, 08:34:10 pm »
Esta ideia já está sendo implementada, os personagens jogáveis ​​serão Mario, Luige, Wario, Waluige e Dr. A. Luado

That's literally amazing, keep up the good work! If you could make every character distinct as well, that would be perfect.  :laugh:

Eso es literalmente increíble, mantienes el buen trabajo! Si pudieras hacer que cada personaje fuera distinto también, eso sería perfecto. :laugh:
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6868 on: August 22, 2020, 09:58:01 am »
This idea is already being implemented, the playable characters will be Mario, Luige, Wario, Waluige and Dr. A. Luado

Now that's what's up! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to playing this when it's done, playing with the Nintendo characters makes this game more interesting to me.  :beer:  :cookie:

EDIT: I'm with Supergamerguy, If you could make every character distinct, that would be pretty bad ass. :D     
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 11:01:59 am by Googie »

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: August 22, 2020, 02:59:41 pm »
I'm with Supergamerguy, If you could make every character distinct, that would be pretty bad ass. :D     

I think he should be able to theoretically (I haven't tried it myself so I dont reallllllly know), but looking at gameplay, it seems like every sprite is unique to begin with so it should be possible.........

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6870 on: August 22, 2020, 03:55:29 pm »
Flying Warriors (NES)
-More responsive controls for the 1 vs 1 fighting segments and easier to fill up your KO meter
-Party members don't share HP in the TB battles
-Somewhat slower flying enemies in the main game
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

vico

• View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: August 22, 2020, 07:15:25 pm »
A request similar to @Googie, but for another game: put Luigi in Ghost House (Sega Master System game).

Original gameplay

TecToy already did a similar thing but with Chapulin Colorado, so its possible.

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6872 on: August 23, 2020, 01:40:49 am »
You're in for a treat, my friend.
I've been cooking up something of that vein, and it's about to bevready. Be on the lookout for it :^}
Fantastic news!
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: August 23, 2020, 09:41:55 am »
I know it's a long shot, but when looking at the Sega Pico games, a lot of the Japan only games were actually kind of cute. I just wish there was someone who could translate them, especially the Pokemon ones.

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: August 23, 2020, 09:43:11 pm »
For some reason I got to thinking about Aerobiz Supersonic and it occurred to me that we're now in the final year covered by the game. As such, it would be interesting to see a revision that made the years that happened after the game's release better reflect how they actually went in real life.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: August 24, 2020, 12:22:30 am »
Castlevania SOTN Hardtype is buggy because it has malformed EDC/ECC, as explained in this review:
http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/3744/#review

NOTE: After applying the hack STARWIN’s EDC/ECC recalculator must be applied for the game to run correctly: PS1 2352 image EDC/ECC recalculator

Would someone update this hack after running STARWIN's program to fix it? Pretty simple fix. I'd do it myself but I just spent 4 days downloading, organizing, hashing, patching, and PSX2PSP-ing a bunch of hacks and I'm too tuckered out.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: August 24, 2020, 03:59:41 pm »
this would be a neat thing to do for Mario 3, not a "redux" nor an "antigrinding" hack, but something in a similar vein

change all mushrooms to "fire-leaf mushrooms" so go from small to fire-leaf Mario (as seen in Mario Adventure hack, fly/shoot fireballs/swing tail all with one power-up, maybe just make them stackable, idk

replace fire flowers with hammer suits and leafs with Tanooki suits for all the levels, i know you'll feel o.p. but isnt that the point of these kinda hacks.

i would replace the lives system with a deaths counter, negating game overs and lives, make 1-ups give you 50 coins, and add a coin counter that just counts the total # of coins in a playthrough,

put a question block box at the beginning of each water stage containing a frog suit,

implement the "item slot" hack (press select to switch to a stored item, more like SWM), do away with item storage and card flipping and toad houses and roulette all together (maybe replace them with something better.

add 3 star coins (or 5 "yoshi" coins per level) and a counter/way to see them

make lvels re-enterable, and worlds re-visitable (like SMA4 after you beat it)

streamline the gameplay and make it easier, but in a fun way. i find myself spamming savestates to keep my tanooki suit and hammer suit too the point of makeing the game a chore sometimes, lol
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 04:04:42 pm by IAmCaptPlanet »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: August 24, 2020, 06:49:52 pm »
If fire leaf mushrooms are a stock part of the game or a simple patch already made then them along with the second item could be done by you spending a lot of time with a level editor, water thing as well.
Lives. Making a death counter is harder. What is not hard is a lives cheat to pump it to the limit. While not a true equivalent it will get you most of the way there (even more so if it is 256 lives rather than 99). You might even be able to nerf a bonus level, something you already expressed an interest in, and instead make it all the mushrooms and whatever else like you might see in a boss rush to get people equipped up.

Item slot is more of a hack but if it already exists after a fashion then OK.

Not sure of the specifics of star coins here and what they represent in game code. Still could be worth trying to see what a level editor might allow -- sometimes these things are limits the devs imposed themselves rather than coded into the game.

Levels could be a fun one depending upon what the game does. A simple cheat to force all values to unexplored is likely to disallow progress but could be worth a try. Otherwise yeah might be a more involved hack, or possibly if you can move over them then you might be able to make a "unlock this level" cheat to do just the nearest level.

That is far more of a subjective one. However you could probably make a "don't lose when hit" type hack with what is already written out there, assuming there is not already such a thin.

If nothing else then having a partial prototype might convince someone to help you out with the rest. So much of that sounds like "Mario, boring mode hack" but I might be wrong and a prototype would go some way there.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6878 on: August 24, 2020, 08:08:50 pm »
Star Ocean: First Departure: Phia and T'nique should be able to join you even if you have only one empty party slot left.

(Seriously, someone explain why you need more than one free slot to recruit them when, not only do you have all four mandatory characters by the time you can, but the other two that you can recruit after obtaining the Silvalant Emblem carry no such requirement.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:10:37 pm by McKnight »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: August 24, 2020, 10:05:43 pm »
So, someone made a dpad hack for NDS Zeldas... but they could have added a dpad camera for when piloting the ship/train