News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1968521 times)

Shaztopia

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6640 on: June 05, 2020, 11:13:41 pm »
That shouldn't be as simple as you think (I can't imagine it could be done with cheat engine). And it would be called a hack.
A bunch of other PS1 games I have just have a single gameshark code that can do it, thought I'd be able to find one like that but I wasn't able to :[ Never done any romhacking and I really only want the code to take a few pictures with no HUD lol.
Solved elsewhere, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:29:19 am by Shaztopia »

zefmc

• View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: June 07, 2020, 10:57:56 pm »
Could someone make a romhack for the Super Famicom version of Rockman and Forte that disables double-tap to dash as Bass? I often find myself flinging my character into pits and enemies on accident because of this. I prefer to use the button to do this action. If you could show me where to learn how to do this myself that would also be helpful! Thanks in advance.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: June 07, 2020, 11:56:00 pm »
That should be fairly in line with control replacement/alteration hacks, though will see you want to get hands on with some assembly code. Bonus today is you are only wanting it for the one action rather than all of them so that means a bit less work; sometimes if we have dead button or game wide swaps it ends up a pain as you get to hunt down menus, bonus modes and more besides on top of whatever main game actions.
I doubt there will be a control swap or control customisation but if there are then that can change things, even if the swaps are a minor thing with nothing to do with dashing.
Such a thing is also harder to work around at emulator level or even with hardware hacks so there is that too.

There will be something that checks the button press (or in this case consecutive presses). I don't know if the game will debounce or read straight from the buttons, though if it does a scan on the buttons will still get you somewhere.

The button combo stuff can be harder as the game will not be this is pressed therefore and instead it will probably do some kind of note it was pressed, then a check to see it was released and then another check. There will possibly be a timer to have it time out after so many frames, however it should be started with the first press so there is that.

In the end you are still calling a function that would be called after the double press, and instead having a simple press (hope you have a spare button) be the thing that calls it.

Tutorial then would be something like

Set a break on read to the button location in memory
https://wiki.superfamicom.org/controllers
Probably every frame/vblank will be a thing that checks this.
It will determine buttons are pressed and then call the corresponding functions. It might do something on them first to check if just the button it cares about is pressed (don't know the SNES but other systems might use a logical AND with the value and just the one it cares about, if the result is positive then it was pressed and if not then not, alternatively a mask).

Option 2
Elimination.
Going by a thread the other day it seems the SNES joins some other systems in having a new function called check in its debuggers.

Here the idea would be to start the scan, wait around, walk left, walk right, jump if you want, better if you can have no enemies on the screen or no new hazards appear but it is not so bad if they do...
Basically you are doing everything but dash. That way when you go back to the new function called log after having dashed then it will already have seen the time function do what it does, walking functions, music playing, possibly idle animations and the potentially dozens of other things the game does when you are doing nothing or just moving. Anything new (like the dash) will then be something it has not seen run before and you have the location of the dash function.
You would then work backwards (a break on execute breakpoint being set on the earliest part of the dash) to find the thing looking at controls and change its check to instead possibly remove the timer part and just look at a single button.

Here is one for the NES
http://www.fceux.com/web/help/fceux.html?TraceLogger.html

In both cases I don't know if double tap left and double tap right are different actions within the game or data passed to the same function but set to go the other way. Easy enough to test these things though.

zefmc

• View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: June 08, 2020, 09:40:57 am »
Thanks for the detailed write-up, FAST! :) It'll definitely take me a while to do this since I have absolutely no experience on doing romhacking and only a little bit programming in general, but now I actually have an idea how to start. This will help me a lot!

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: June 08, 2020, 01:56:44 pm »
Could someone make a romhack for the Super Famicom version of Rockman and Forte that disables double-tap to dash as Bass? I often find myself flinging my character into pits and enemies on accident because of this. I prefer to use the button to do this action. If you could show me where to learn how to do this myself that would also be helpful! Thanks in advance.

I disabled double-tap dash for Mega Man X1-6 (https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29811.0), so having previous knowledge made this easy:
Code: [Select]
0x013AC4 ($C13AC4) = [80 EF]
This changes a branch instruction so the bit-flag for dashing is never set if the d-pad is double-tapped.

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #6645 on: June 08, 2020, 05:10:12 pm »
The Sega Genesis Ninja Gaiden was left unfinished during development, so there's bugs like "odd moving controls, unfinished levels, and cut-scenes which are skipped before finishing". It would be cool if someone can finish the game and make it fully playable.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: June 09, 2020, 01:18:35 am »
You know, here's a strange idea I came up with after watching some Homestar videos...Stinkoman in the Megaman 1-6 games. I mean there might be some minor tweaks to make it work, but I wouldn't mind trying out a Stinkoman mod of the Megaman games

zefmc

• View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: June 09, 2020, 09:01:42 am »
I disabled double-tap dash for Mega Man X1-6 (https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29811.0), so having previous knowledge made this easy:
Code: [Select]
0x013AC4 ($C13AC4) = [80 EF]
This changes a branch instruction so the bit-flag for dashing is never set if the d-pad is double-tapped.

Thanks for the answer and code! What utility should I use to patch this in? I tried adding it as a code through Snes9x but couldn't get it formatted in a way that it accepted. Any advice?

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: June 09, 2020, 11:44:59 am »
Thanks for the answer and code! What utility should I use to patch this in? I tried adding it as a code through Snes9x but couldn't get it formatted in a way that it accepted. Any advice?
You can make it into a PAR code (C13AC480) or to make it permanent, open the rom in a hex editor (such as HxD) and go to file offset 0x013AC4 where you should see [D0 EF] and change it to [80 EF].

zefmc

• View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: June 09, 2020, 02:48:33 pm »
You can make it into a PAR code (C13AC480) or to make it permanent, open the rom in a hex editor (such as HxD) and go to file offset 0x013AC4 where you should see [D0 EF] and change it to [80 EF].

Using HxD did it! Thank you so much, you don't know how much pain you've saved me. :)

edit: I've now beaten Forte's path in this game, thanks to you. Didn't take very long now that I can play the way I'm comfortable!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:50:19 pm by zefmc »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6650 on: June 12, 2020, 01:38:38 pm »
Spellcaster (SMS) Improvement
-Can walk while charging your weapon (can already jump and fly while doing it)
-Battery save (extremely long passwords with upper/lower case and even math symbols in them)
-MP drops are more common (while healing is somewhat more expensive) and/or some spells are cheaper
-In-game pyramid interior map
-Death pits make you respawn at the beginning of the current room rather than at the first adventure location and then from the beginning of the action segment
-Can shoot and charge while crouching (charge attacks cancel if you crouch in the original)
-Can revisit cleared action segments with hidden items in them
-Faster text speed
-Enemy drops can't fall into walls

-Adventure interface: Don't have to look specifically at an object if it was already seen when obesrving the whole room, menus wrap around here as well, can see your MP/energy here
-No need to pick something twice to progress in adventure segments
-Don't have to have to look at the lid specifically before using the ball on it when trying to go inside the spacecraft (there's a command to grab the lid after using the indra spell)

-SFX warning before a flight spell runs out
-Can jump onto stairs
-Can fly out of the well when backtracking out of kakogen shrine (have to jump from the left platform currently)
-Underwater area path leading down what looks like a pit has a visual or spoken clue
-More lenient timing on the crumbling floor traps in one segment
-Can move all the way to the top of the screen in the shoot 'em up level
-Can fly past/above stairs at the end of a room/segment to leave it
-More lenient placement requirement when on the rock formation in the cave under the well while pressing down to enter the hi-tech area in Kakogen
-Don't have to go talk to grampa to make it possible to find the x-ray glasses in the boathouse
-No need to backtrack to the demon in the tree to open the cave in the east of the underworld
-Rebalanced bosses to make some of them more difficult (2nd-3rd bosses, demon boss in pyramid and perhaps god of thunder)
-Fixed typos
-Enemies don't keep dropping consumable items that you already have a full stock of (mp/hp)
-Less linear structure if possible (very linear at first besides being able to go back to Kizumo for healing, can only go to the next location in the sequence at some points)

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #6651 on: June 12, 2020, 03:37:54 pm »
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest and Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse: vertical knockback hack similar to the one made for Castlevania I.
"You got whacked, 'cuz you're weak." ~Magus

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: June 12, 2020, 05:14:15 pm »
A hack for Rayman 2 (PSX) that strips the main game and the prototype Rayman 2D sequel bonus level is isolated into an ISO.

A hack for Metal Morph (SNES) that:
- Stops enemies from shooting offscreen.
- No random shooting on any direction while jumping, instead working as it should.
Complaints addressed in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUPfhzjQl8

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: June 12, 2020, 09:50:20 pm »
Anyone remember that one SNES game called Robotrek with its Japanese name titled Slapstick that had some bad translations? Yeah, I was wondering if someone out there can make a proper translation of this game.

Pleiades7

• View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: June 13, 2020, 12:21:16 pm »
Sega Master System games like Zillion.

A better "Revenge of Shinobi" for Sega Genesis reskinned with Shinobi 3 graphics.

Also....Would love to see a high quality remake/reskin/enhancement of Might and Magic 2!

TheUnderfaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: June 13, 2020, 04:00:13 pm »
I'd like to mention Rushing Beat Syura/Shura again, this is the third in the Rushing Beat series and the most butchered one.
Remember how badly Sega butchered Streets of Rage 3's localization? well this is like that but on SNES.

We already have a wonderful fan translation of Rushing Beat 1, now all we need is 2 and 3.  :beer:

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: June 13, 2020, 09:09:12 pm »
This one is a simple idea

Have the Queen of Cards be moved even when winning a card battle.

- FF8 idea

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: June 14, 2020, 12:00:40 pm »
A color hack for Wario Land, a la Super Mario Land DX / Super Mario Land 2 DX / Metroid II EJRTQ Colorization, would be pretty boss.

thatspiceguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: June 15, 2020, 09:16:28 pm »
anybody interested in editing this super famicom game changing to the correct names, logos, and teams?

https://legendsoflocalization.com/super-dunk-shot-super-famicom/

Doomerzan

• View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: June 16, 2020, 02:26:48 pm »
I know absolutely no one would take this challenge up, but I wonder.
Would it be possible to reverse engineer and heavily modify (port) one of the several Resident Evil 2 and/or 3 or their ports to get them working on a sega saturn? It's dissapointing that RE2 never made it's way to the saturn. Just in general the failure of the Sega Saturn was extremely sad and the console is a lost opprotunity. I know we have the dreamcast version, but just getting a Saturn version working would be great to see and could hold a fair amount of historical significance, seeing what could've been. However, I know, way too much work.

Also, I've found five games that could use a fan translation; Sakura Wars 2, Sakura Wars 3, Tengai Makyou 4 (I think a translation is being worked on but nothing has been released) Linda Cube, and Athena; Awakening From the Ordinary Life.