News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1968519 times)

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6600 on: May 16, 2020, 05:32:07 pm »
NES Arkanoid supported a special controller with a wheel and button, effectively a one-dimensional mouse. If the menu could be plausibly navigated in one dimension, this would work.

how about adding mouse controls? ie mouse moves the game cursor and click simulates press (this is even better than my idea from before). if it is touchscreen, touch = clicks at the area. is this more complicated to do, are there any emulators that can use mouse like this for point and click games?

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: May 16, 2020, 06:21:19 pm »
thats interesting, another way to go (which may be 100x harder to implement, idk) and would be useful for all point and clicks on the system, and interesting.

add zapper functionality, would be especially great for emulators on the Wii that use the wiimote or a touch screen

sebastianangel

• View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: May 16, 2020, 07:16:45 pm »
Like a "Pedo Walker"? uhahuhuauhah :) Good!

For my part, I get tired of asking hackers to do a little thing or teach us how to do it, so I started on my own to investigate and do my own hacks. 8)

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: May 16, 2020, 09:24:05 pm »
I can't remember if I suggested this before but, it would be cool if someone could make a Super Mario Kart Hack like this one, at least a close one would be cool. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwGjbbuVpwo

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: May 16, 2020, 10:24:26 pm »
http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/5570/

this is 99.9% perfect, but i have 3 tiny suggestions.

make D-pad up avtivate the bunny hood, make the bunny hood imediately borrowable from the mask salesman, make bunny hood equipable for adult Link.

that would be awesome, anyways i highly recommend this hack for anyone who want to do a playthrough of OoT, (MM has one too, also A+)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: May 17, 2020, 03:48:15 pm »
how about adding mouse controls? ie mouse moves the game cursor and click simulates press (this is even better than my idea from before). if it is touchscreen, touch = clicks at the area. is this more complicated to do, are there any emulators that can use mouse like this for point and click games?
You are aware that Shadowgate isn't an NES-exclusive, right?  The original Macintosh and IIgs versions are available for dirt-cheap on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/343800/Shadowgate_MacVenture_Series/

The new engine is open-source Javascript, so in theory it ought to be portable to other platforms. (Probably not NES, though.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: May 17, 2020, 11:08:23 pm »
thats interesting, another way to go (which may be 100x harder to implement, idk) and would be useful for all point and clicks on the system, and interesting.

add zapper functionality, would be especially great for emulators on the Wii that use the wiimote or a touch screen

Um... Zapper support would probably lag the game far worse than just playing the game as it already is.
As I understand the NES Zapper can only detect "hit" or "no hit". When you pull the trigger, you can see white boxes on the screen briefly because the game has to draw a box over each possible target individually, as that is the only way to tell, if a "hit" response was received, WHICH object it saw.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: May 18, 2020, 03:13:22 pm »
This idea just came to me: A Tiny Toon Adventures NES hack with Babs, Shirley, and Fifi taking the roles of Buster, Plucky, and Furball for the game (not sure whether to just leave Dizzy in or replace him with another Toon character). I mean after seeing the role switching hacks of other games, I wouldn't mind trying to play as Babs on the first game (maybe the Gameboy game too).

EDIT: Also on the subject of hacks and gameboy, someone should really make the 3 PPG GBC games a little more bearable. I mean there were just some bugs that made my gameplay experience with the three games impossible.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:19:04 pm by julayla »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6608 on: May 18, 2020, 04:25:30 pm »
Metroid Prime Improvement Hack (GC)(1.0 since there's more sequence breaking opportunities)
-Teleporters between save points or elevators. Or more shortcuts, like at least one more elevator going from phendrana drifts to somewhere and a tunnel shortcut going from the middle of the chozo ruins to the southeastern part
-Fixed door hit detection and speed (seems this was fixed in a later revision so there should be existing code)
-Stronger/later beams can open all previous doors. Can also use missiles on regular doors
-More grapple hook points to let you pull yourself upwards with in large vertical rooms (phazon processing center for example)
-Can stand on frozen enemies
-Infinite bomb jump or larger capacity
-Full control config
-Scanning points automatically show as you get close to them and the scanning visor covers more of the full visor (or you don't need to fully cover a point to scan it)
-More lenient lock-on or faster manual aiming/looking around which doesn't slow to a crawl at its most extreme angles
-Added quick turn move or faster turning when fully tilting the stick
-Can skip cutscenes before beating it
-More consistent invincibility frames on ridley's mouth when he pulls his head back before tackling
-Somewhat harder regular and jellyfish metroids as well as elite pirates
-Beeping sfx while near death only beeps once in a while
-Drawn out segments during boss fights are shortened
-Can lock onto an enemy even if it's partially behind cover
-Enemies don't keep dropping items which you already have a full stock of so it's easier to stock up on power bomb ammo (or each expansion adds more bombs)

Map:
-Compass or cardinal directions on the map screen
-Upgrade items are shown on the map like in Super Metroid - dots in rooms rather than the exact location
-Missile doors (and other special beam doors) are always marked on the map, not just if you are viewing the room/sub area it's in
-Saves your chosen zoom level on the map screen when going out of and back into it
-Somewhat more zoomed in mini-map

-Optional: Start with the ball and the missiles, faster missile rate of fire and speed
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: May 18, 2020, 07:18:16 pm »
EDIT: Also on the subject of hacks and gameboy, someone should really make the 3 PPG GBC games a little more bearable. I mean there were just some bugs that made my gameplay experience with the three games impossible.
Didn't you ask that less than a year ago? And besides, the whole PPG series and franchise has sucked large ever since the girls beat up Rainbow the Clown, an innocent clown. Though Rainbow did have an evil alter ego, it was completely out of his control. >:(

There are probably better things to do in the world of ROM hacking (i.e. fixing the bug found in the English translation of Armadillo (NES) towards the end). Man, that Armadillo bug really frustrated me when I first encountered it. :banghead:

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: May 18, 2020, 11:19:38 pm »
Mario Kart: Super Circuit (Game Boy Advance):

A optional patch for Emilianomario27's Localized Voices hack that will give Yoshi his N64 voice clips.

A hack that will restore the missing obstacles back to the SNES tracks.

NesDraug

• View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: May 19, 2020, 04:46:40 pm »
This idea just came to me: A Tiny Toon Adventures NES hack with Babs, Shirley, and Fifi taking the roles of Buster, Plucky, and Furball for the game (not sure whether to just leave Dizzy in or replace him with another Toon character). I mean after seeing the role switching hacks of other games, I wouldn't mind trying to play as Babs on the first game (maybe the Gameboy game too).

I could have sworn I've already seen this hack. But I guess I'm wrong. Looked for it and couldn't find it. I must have dreamt it. The only female charter I could think of instead of Dizzy is Mary Melody. Or perhaps... Granny? Sweetie? Idk. XD
Hello! You found my shop of strange and wonderful things!
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: May 20, 2020, 06:08:15 pm »
Anyone like to make Kung fu 3 for NES?
I was thinking just hack Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kunand replace with kung fu 2 sprites. And may have to make custom of there sprites when grabing,mounting, throwing ect. That would be awesome because i always thought kung fu 2/spartan x 2 had a cool storyline vs kung fu. And always wanted a kung ku 3. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsIOVTduPk

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: May 21, 2020, 02:06:11 am »
I could have sworn I've already seen this hack. But I guess I'm wrong. Looked for it and couldn't find it. I must have dreamt it. The only female charter I could think of instead of Dizzy is Mary Melody. Or perhaps... Granny? Sweetie? Idk. XD

I did try to find a hack that had the girls casted. However, no luck unfortunately so I thought I throw in the idea here.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: May 21, 2020, 06:17:40 am »
Could someone please, for the love of all that is holy, put some "REAL" music in 1942?

...and sound effects...

...and fix the glitches...

...and the graphics...

Could someone please, for the love of all that is holy, remake 1942?

:P

1942 sucks. :3

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6615 on: May 21, 2020, 09:22:37 am »
Would 1942 become a good game after that though? I don't see the appeal, but I heard people praising the series. Would like to know why.

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #6616 on: May 22, 2020, 01:19:52 am »
Version of the Skills Hack for the English version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
"You got whacked, 'cuz you're weak." ~Magus

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: May 22, 2020, 11:32:51 am »
Would 1942 become a good game after that though? I don't see the appeal, but I heard people praising the series. Would like to know why.

I was mostly just joking around, but...
Honestly no. And I have no idea why it gets so much praise even in the context of when it was released.

The only way to make a good game out of 1942 is make an extensive "demake" style hack using 1943 as a base.

I imagine most would consider this to be more trouble than it's worth.
And considering that Capcom preferred to make an entirely new game instead of anything even resembling a true remake, I don't blame them. (See "1942: Joint Strike" for reference.)

However...
Let me entertain the idea of such a project.

Obviously, trying to fix 1942 itself in a way similarly to the magnificent job you did on Super Pitfall would certainly be an exercise in frustration.
Given that it's a mapper 0 game, it's quite limited in what you can do with it.

So I'd use 1943 as a base.
It at least has mapper 2, lots more space over all, and shares many of the same features.

I think the biggest challenges would be figuring out a way to fit in the extra 8 stages, ASM hacking all the power-ups, stripping out the level-up system, replacing the fuel meter with lives, and merging the special attacks with defensive loops.

Oh! And, of course, making some new music for it!

At that point you'd have a version of 1942 with better music, graphics, and game play.
Maybe even keep laser as an unlockable bonus.
Superior even to the original arcade version in many ways.

I think that could be worth it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:02:43 pm by Vanya »

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: May 22, 2020, 04:02:24 pm »
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Force TV color mode.

FFTA has three color modes.  The first two are made to counteract the dark screen of the original GBA screen.  The third "TV Mode" was a forward-thinking measure to make the game not ugly when played on DS or Gameboy Player.

I would love to have a version of the game that boots with TV Mode activated by default.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6619 on: May 22, 2020, 04:41:10 pm »
Put Luigi in Somari... ;D