News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1901503 times)

niuus

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6520 on: April 14, 2020, 04:28:39 pm »
Try this: https://ufile.io/rzn5wccc
Stealing rests works by pressing A + B when you have 0 rests. I did not add a 1 second delay.
And the player 2 SELECT button can now open the info screen if player 1 has run out of rests.

While testing the hack I noticed that the START (pause) button is also limited to Player 1. Shouldn't that be passed on to Player 2 as well if Player 1 runs out of rests?
Got a mirror? Thanks!

Lalina204K

• View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: April 14, 2020, 09:49:30 pm »
Any decent tools for hacking Super Turrican? (The SNES one), I got an idea for one, not expecting much help so I'm thinking of looking into it myself but I need a good starting point. I'm thinking of making a hack that changes that into the Directors Cut version, since the odds of the NT being hacked are pretty slim.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:18:22 pm by Lalina204K »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: April 15, 2020, 11:26:40 pm »
How about Vs. Gumshoe modified to work on NES emulators?
Doesn't it already work on NES emulators, like the rest of the Vs games?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: April 16, 2020, 09:34:03 am »
How about porting Wario Land 3's Owl theme into Wario Land 2?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: April 16, 2020, 05:23:22 pm »
On the subject of music hacking...
Art of Fighting has hands down the best SNK music on SNES.
Better than the arcade version even.
But all the rest of the SNK games are pretty lacking in the music department.

Fatal Fury, in particular, has a really shitty soundtrack.
It could really use an update with better music samples.
The best example of how terrible the quality is by comparing Raiden's theme to the arcade version and then to Angela Belti's theme from Power Instinct on SNES.

Angela's theme is obviously the same sort of song as Raiden's; maybe even inspired by it.
Power Instinct might even be a good source of better samples to use.

Fatal Fury 2 and Special have their own issues, but not nearly as drastic.
All in all, Fatal Fury 2's arrangements are pretty good, they sound better to me than the arcade versions which are way too noisy. However, they too could use better quality samples.
In contrast, Fatal Fury Special sounds too much like the arcade and loses the unique feel of the Fatal Fury 2 arrangements. In fact, the only songs in Special that I can stand are the ones that were not in Fatal Fury 2.

And don't get me started on Samurai Shodown. That one's just the worst.

Both Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia could benefit from a restoration and retranslation.

I'm really surprised Illusion of Gaia doesn't already have something done for it.
I looked it up and there's only one hack for it at all, albeit a pretty good one.
There is apparently also an MSU-1 hack roaming around the net, but not posted on here.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6525 on: April 17, 2020, 12:00:24 pm »
Back, again, but with a rather odd request, to be sure.

So, there's a Chrono Trigger ROM hack by the name of "Prophet's Guile."  It can be found here.  The documentation specifically mentions that the hack doesn't work well under Snes9x.  It outright says that it'll freeze at a certain point, making the game unwinnable.  I'm not sure if that still happens at of Snes9x v1.60 The game still locks up after reaching a certain cutscene, but I have encountered another, much stranger problem…

Upon entering Enhasa, a remix of "Corridors of Time" plays.  Under ZSNES v1.52, it's quite a lovely remix.  Under Snes9x, however, the music is sprinkled with a lot of… unintentional electric sounds.  I'm not entirely sure why this happens.  In any case, I was hoping that someone could do something to fix this?  I'm not sure what would fix it, myself, but I can't say that I've tried anything…

Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 01:56:22 pm by Josephine Lithius »

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: April 17, 2020, 01:34:24 pm »
Ultimately, it comes down to the inaccurate emulators at the time it was made.

• Some cutscenes use this memory address that makes the black bar at the bottom of the screen disappear. Under more accurate emulation, it also freezes the game. (In an unfortunate coincidence, a different emulation bug made the game freeze at the end of the first scene to display the bug.) A hacker tried removing the memory setting, only to find that it broke the ending art by exposing animated tiles.
  • The SNES DSP has this thing called an echo buffer, placed in a designated area of its memory and which it writes data to. For a long time, emulators didn't emulate it correctly. Some of the instrument samples chosen were too big when combined and spilled over into the echo buffer area. (Not quite sure about this.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 01:50:34 pm by Vehek »

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: April 17, 2020, 01:58:00 pm »
Ooh.  So, it's one of those "duct tape fixes" that, if undone, will absolutely wreck everything else?  That's a shame.  I guess I'll just have to play it in ZSNES, then.  How nostalgic~

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: April 17, 2020, 02:00:35 pm »
For the first, it'd just look a bit uglier. The second, I don't know yet if there are workarounds.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: April 17, 2020, 05:04:40 pm »
So, there's a Japanese-only Bomberman Collection for Game Boy, which features three games: Bomberman GB (localized internationally as Wario Blast), Bomberman GB 2 (known internationally as just Bomberman GB), and a version of Bomber Boy (Atomic Punk in America and Dynablaster in Europe) with Super Game Boy enhancements. I'd like to see a hack of this with the localized versions of the games, meaning there'd be two variants of the hack: an Atomic Punk variant, and a Dynablaster variant.

Zerano

• THE POWER OF SUPER BOY ON NES! HARNESS IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: April 18, 2020, 10:57:07 am »
I hope to see a hack of Kirby's Dream Land. My idea, you ask? A fan sequel (the other "sequels" are unrelated).
I would call it After Kirby's Dream Land.
Of course hacking the game is possible, it's just really hard.
If you wanna get a headstart dig into the sprites of the game and edit any graphic that looks familiar to you to something else.
Currently working on Super Boy 2

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: April 18, 2020, 01:34:28 pm »
Can someone make a TMNT IV Turtles in Time SNES hack that has a dash button and makes the game faster and fluid like the Sega Genesis version, Hyperstone Heist? Turtles in Time just feels too slow and the controls are a bit clunky.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: April 20, 2020, 12:03:49 pm »
Hack Idea:

Jean Claude Van Damme, Universal Soldier Hack of P.O.W. for NES. Credit goes to Firejoker54 of Spriter's Resource for the rips. Everything in the game could stay as is, only things that would need changing are the title and cinema scenes, and maybe replace the bosses with Dolph Lundgren:

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: April 22, 2020, 02:08:23 am »
With the release of "Final Fantasy VI: Ted Woosley Uncensored Edition," it would be nice to see "Chrono Trigger" be given the similar treatment, with:

• The censored content being uncensored (cheers for ale, jeers for soda).
  • A script that stays faithful as possible to Ted Woosley's version, for the sake of nostalgia.
  • Updated English terminologies that match those from Tom Slattery's script.

When it comes to patches with updated terminologies, I'm aware that there are those that do come with updated terminologies (ex: LethargicOwl's addendum patch), but rarely any of them have kept the special quality of Ted Woosley's script.

There are those of us who think that Ted Woosley is underrated; after all, he is the "Father of Modern Localization," and it would seem justifiable if there was a patch that preserves the spirit of Ted Woosley's script, while still changing and updating the Canonical English Terminologies, based on the future releases of said game, and removing any censorship that seems unnecessary.

C'mon man! Let the past meet the future!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:19:07 am by 91-MPH »

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: April 22, 2020, 03:55:06 am »
Underrated? Surely you jest.

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: April 22, 2020, 04:18:30 am »
With the release of "Final Fantasy VI: Ted Woosley Uncensored Edition," it would be nice to see "Chrono Trigger" be given the similar treatment, with:

• The censored content being uncensored (cheers for ale, jeers for soda).
  • A script that stays faithful as possible to Ted Woosley's version, for the sake of nostalgia.
  • Updated English terminologies that match those from Tom Slattery's script.

When it comes to patches with updated terminologies, I'm aware that there are those that do come with updated terminologies (ex: LethargicOwl's addendum patch), but rarely any of them have kept the special quality of Ted Woosley's script.

There are those of us who think that Ted Woosley is underrated; after all, he is the "Father of Modern Localization," and it would seem justifiable if there was a patch that preserves the spirit of Ted Woosley's script, while still changing and updating the Canonical English Terminologies, based on the future releases of said game, and removing any censorship that seems unnecessary.

C'mon man! Let the past meet the future!
Underrated? Surely you jest.

At least from what I've heard. ^^;

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: April 22, 2020, 07:11:11 am »
We need a new Phantasy Star III rom hack to celebrate 30th anniversary
A sega Ages 2500 approach would work/overhauling the game(with more storyline,better graphics,NPCs ect)and an easy mode patch
i figure this should put the rom around 1.6MB(16 Mega Power) basicly double the size of the rom

day2data

• View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: April 23, 2020, 07:56:42 pm »
Super
Mario
All-Stars
Randomizer

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: April 24, 2020, 03:15:29 am »
Sonic 3/& Knuckles/Complete (Genesis): A hack that would give Tails a more legit looking S3 style sprite sheet:

Metroid: Zero Mission (Game Boy Advance): A hack that would make Crocomire a miniboss in Norfair.

Pokemon Yellow (Game Boy): A hack that would give all the Pokemon their backsprites from the Pokémon Gold and Silver 1997 Space World demos and another hack that would restore the original Japanese dialogue for the Old Man as well.

Resident Evil (GameCube): A hack that would give Chris eight item slots instead of six.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:57:05 am by SCD »

xstuff

• View Profile
    • Deviantart.com
« Reply #6539 on: April 24, 2020, 07:03:29 am »
Cooool 8) The original sprites looked like they were just reshaded instead of given a new design like Sonic's.