News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1826128 times)

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6460 on: March 21, 2020, 05:52:21 am »
I'm back, again, with another tiny idea.

I'm playing my way through Secret of Mana and I noticed something…  The "Cancel" button is a really weird one.
See, in Squaresoft games – and RPGs on the Super NES, in-general – the "Confirm" button is typically A while the "Cancel" button is typically B.  With Secret of Mana, however, the "Cancel" button is assigned to the "Player Menu" button.  This button is Y, by default, but it can be any of the "face" buttons.  My idea?  I'd like to have "Cancel" assigned to the "Dash" button, just as it is in Seiken Densetsu 3.  It just makes more sense, that way.

I'd also like to figure out how to make the default controls swapped so that "Ally Menu" is Y, "Player Menu" is X, "Dash(/Cancel)" is B, and "Attack/Confirm" is A, by default.  I tried searching for hex values, but I didn't find anything relevant.

Cheers~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: March 21, 2020, 10:52:44 pm »
Here are a few games I feel can definitely use a Redux.

The Battle Of Olympus

Metal Gear

Metal Gear 2

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 8

Legend Of Legaia

Double Dragon

Double Dragon 2
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

#

• View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: March 22, 2020, 12:10:13 pm »
Finally finished the sprites: Game of Death game based off of Kung Fu for NES.

Thanks to Locke GB7 of spriters resource for the Kung Fu rips and also to vgmuseum. Spent all day working on this, haven't eaten yet and I'm pretty damn hungry :p Time to get tacos. Enjoy.

EDIT

Added these. Made Kareem a little thinner and added detail to the level 2 boss. I wasn't sure if Level 2 boss shared the same sprites as anyone else, but this makes him look more like the white and gold karate suit guy from the movie:

I didn't get to it last weekend but I was able to work on it a little in the last few days and I managed to add Bruce to the game, though I had to edit several of your drawings because of the huge number of shared sprites. The first, second and fifth floor bosses cannot be added exactly as you created them because those also share many sprites with other characters. I might be able to do a decent job with the first boss, but I'll need to hack the game to make it use different shared sprites.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: March 22, 2020, 05:54:48 pm »
Well that's cool that you were able to add Bruce. Can you break it down a little more for me though? Which characters share sprites?

You said 1st floor, 2nd floor, 5th floor? What about enemies? If I can get an idea of who all shares sprites, I can re-do it. The important thing is getting the first floor boss looking right.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: March 22, 2020, 08:53:24 pm »
Well that's cool that you were able to add Bruce. Can you break it down a little more for me though? Which characters share sprites?

You said 1st floor, 2nd floor, 5th floor? What about enemies? If I can get an idea of who all shares sprites, I can re-do it. The important thing is getting the first floor boss looking right.
Look at the outfits. The first floor enemies and the first and second floor bosses all share the same outfit. And the fifth floor boss has the same outfit as Bruce.

Dreamwhale

• View Profile
« Reply #6465 on: March 22, 2020, 09:22:06 pm »
Spritehack for Warioland 1 or 2 which replaces all coins with toilet paper.

Stay healthy everyone!

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: March 22, 2020, 10:26:05 pm »
Stay healthy too Dreamwhale.

And #, just didn't know how it was programmed.

Can 5th floor boss be put in an all white jump suit? That's all I can think of for him.

The others are an easy fix. Here, try these. The main thing with this one is getting the boss characters to look as close to the movie as possible:

EDIT

And here's an update on Hellraiser. Characters are finished. Might go back later and alter one of the backgrounds to try and make it look like the attic from the movie:

tags: Hellraiser NES / Nintendo Sprite Sheet for game

EDIT

One last update, had to add the ending and replaced the knives in Nightmare on Elm Street with the switchblade from Hellraiser.

Notes:
* "Freddy's coming!" is replaced with "Welcome to Hell!"
* The radio is replaced with the Puzzle Box
* The hand on the player select screen is also replaced with the Puzzle Box

Thanks to:  http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.com/2011/01/licensed-nes-games-that-dont-exist.html

For the Puzzle box sprite.

EDIT

Just for fun, did some recolors to make it look more like the movie. I know that sometimes, with the way games are programmed, it's not possible to get all of the right colors though.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:28:06 pm by sil3nt_j »

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: March 24, 2020, 01:00:49 am »
Here's a difficult one I'm unsure if it's ever been asked before, that requires some explanation. Over the years, the rom hacking community has done a great deal at restoring SNES-to-GBA ports with changes making them more similar to the SNES originals. Most notably this has been found in color restoration and voice removal patches, such is the case for the Super Mario Advance games. With all of that said, has the community ever tried to hack the resolution of these games?

I've been having a small conversation with Shomuni, developer of the GBE+ emulator, after being inspired by some of his earlier posts on Reddit regarding resolution hacks for GBA and GB/GBC games that he showed possible in that emulator. I asked him about the Super Mario Advance games and the likelihood of them matching the SNES resolution, and he documented his results for the SMB2 and SMB3 ports. What's interesting is what the issue is with SMB3: it doesn't take into account the extra vertical resolution being added to the game, and for this reason it leaves all of the space below Mario to be empty. Taking into account the possibility of a larger screen resolution to work with, how difficult would it be to alter the game to account for this? I would imagine you would have to force the display of the game upwards the X amount of new vertical space produced, but I'm a complete fool with this stuff, so I'm probably wrong about that.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6468 on: March 24, 2020, 05:27:30 am »
Here's a difficult one I'm unsure if it's ever been asked before, that requires some explanation. Over the years, the rom hacking community has done a great deal at restoring SNES-to-GBA ports with changes making them more similar to the SNES originals. Most notably this has been found in color restoration and voice removal patches, such is the case for the Super Mario Advance games. With all of that said, has the community ever tried to hack the resolution of these games?

I've been having a small conversation with Shomuni, developer of the GBE+ emulator, after being inspired by some of his earlier posts on Reddit regarding resolution hacks for GBA and GB/GBC games that he showed possible in that emulator. I asked him about the Super Mario Advance games and the likelihood of them matching the SNES resolution, and he documented his results for the SMB2 and SMB3 ports. What's interesting is what the issue is with SMB3: it doesn't take into account the extra vertical resolution being added to the game, and for this reason it leaves all of the space below Mario to be empty. Taking into account the possibility of a larger screen resolution to work with, how difficult would it be to alter the game to account for this? I would imagine you would have to force the display of the game upwards the X amount of new vertical space produced, but I'm a complete fool with this stuff, so I'm probably wrong about that.

I've never heard anything of the sort ever suggested. I guess it makes sense the GBA could draw resolutions bigger than its LCD physically allows.

Hacks that won't work on original hardware tend to be frowned upon, but this is a revolution. It opens the door for OVERWHELMINGLY improving games constrained by the screen size.

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: March 24, 2020, 06:41:58 am »
I've never heard anything of the sort ever suggested. I guess it makes sense the GBA could draw resolutions bigger than its LCD physically allows.

Hacks that won't work on original hardware tend to be frowned upon, but this is a revolution. It opens the door for OVERWHELMINGLY improving games constrained by the screen size.

There appears to be limitations, but I imagine the hacking scene could probably figure this out on a game-by-game basis. Any game that uses GBA custom effects, for example is hard-coded to the default display. That's why in my original post, there's garbage effects in the opening screenshot to SMB2. It's something you'd have to take with the effort, like how widescreen patches might have T-Pose characters in the corners of the screen, or how widescreen Mode 7 games don't render many assets outside of the default SNES resolution space.

I think the SNES-to-GBA ports could be a good start at exploring this concept, as we know that these games at one point did display more than they presently do due to them being on systems with a larger display resolution than the GBA. In fact, the biggest issue with such ports are the loss of vertical space, and in the linked example in this post, one can see that it can be worked around.

This is also possible for GB and GBC games, but that's a game-by-game basis as well. I cited specific GBA games because we have a foundation or target to aim for more specifically than "expand the screen space" because we can actually compare the versions and see what visual real estate was cut. Other games might be able to be expanded by 16 pixels in terms of real estate (which is a decent bit for handheld games like this) and others might benefit less so. I think Shantae's example of it failing really shows the potential in having more space to work with, in terms of potential.

I think it's something worth entertaining, and something seriously worth looking into for the GBA ports. Right now the weakest thing about the Super Mario Advance ports is the real estate of the screen, and it appears something can be done about that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:53:01 am by Foffy »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: March 24, 2020, 05:12:00 pm »

There are plenty of 3d systems that do this, including on what is essentially native hardware (see stuff like widescreen gamecube games on the wii and wii U), though that is 3d and does not count outside of maybe someone cracking it for the PS1's rather bizarre setup.
A few emulators have also tried their hand at things by rendering one step in every direction (some going a bit further and disabling random battles or having some kind of screen difference detection) or forcing the "2d camera" as it were.

If I was going to pick a 2d system to do that (that is not a PC running an essentially arbitrary resolution for 2d) in then it would probably be the GBA or its descendants

As a basis for a series of hacks... meh. I would sooner rip assets and recreate the game, or do something like Square Enix did for their recent PC efforts at Final Fantasy et al where it is an emulated game but with overlay graphics, though, you know, competently.

Continuing with the hacks. The GBA does have just about enough memory ( http://pineight.com/gba/managing-sprite-vram.txt ) to store backgrounds a file tiles larger and thus bring up a possibility.
Some games use said backgrounds for animation purposes (my usual example is tetris worlds -- the flying through space background is just a star map type thing that they whizz around on to make it look like endless).

Beyond that then yeah you run into logic/scripting, NPC pop in, enemy behaviours and more besides. Most of which is triggered relative to screen or virtual level position. Memory issues would also be a thing, though probably slightly easier to work around.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: March 25, 2020, 02:47:54 pm »
I know this may be too wishful thinking, but when I look back at some of the Point and Click adventure games, there are some that don't have PC ports, like Blazing Dragons. It's kind of sad this never had a proper PC port and is instead regulated to Saturn and PS1.

EDIT: On another topic that involves character hacks, I want to say that some of the old Sonic Game Gear games may need some sprite graphics hack. And maybe have the Sonic 2 game have Tails be playable or something? Just a thought.

eleventhirtyfour

• View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: March 25, 2020, 05:09:25 pm »
Either a massive hack of an existing NES game OR an entirely new homebrew NES game to create an Animal Crossing NES game.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: March 25, 2020, 08:43:09 pm »

I won't mention any names, and I'm not directing this towards any one, but I just want to say as a general rule: From now, if you don't want to make one of the hacks based off of my sprites, then don't do it. I guess some guys think that because they are doing the programming/hacking for free that it gives them the right to talk down to me or give me attitude, but it doesn't. And guess what, do you know how much I've gotten paid for all of the sprite work I've done over the years? Nothing. Not a damn thing. But that's because I do it like a hobby.

But again, if you want to make one of the hacks for me then do it. And if you don't, then don't. I really don't give a fuck either way. But don't complain and don't talk down to me. Nobody's forcing you to do it. And I know it's hard work, but like I said, I've never been paid. So give that shit to someone else, I'm tired of it.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: March 26, 2020, 09:08:06 am »
So, I had another idea for a hack.  This one's a bit more of a technical headache, though.

I wonder if it would be possible to combine the arcade versions of Punch-Out!! and Super Punch-Out!! into one long game.  I just think it'd be neat to fight all 11 WVBA opponents from the two arcade games in one circuit… as well as having the "duck" move in the original game.  The thing of it is, I don't want Super Punch-Out!! just tacked-on at the end of Punch-Out!!  It wouldn't make sense to fight Mr. Sandman, then immediately fight Bear Hugger.  No, the kind of hack I'm thinking of is… well… not unlike the console versions, I suppose; it would mix-and-match the various opponents between the two versions.  Probably just kind of… every-other opponent would be from Super Punch-Out!!, as that game has five while the original has six.  I figure that the roster could be:

Glass Joe, Bear Hugger, Piston Hurricane, Dragon Chan, Bald Bull, Vodka Drunkenski,
Kid Quick, Great Tiger, Pizza Pasta, Super Macho Man, Mr. Sandman

I genuinely have no idea how difficult a project like this would be and, for all I know, someone's already done it or planned to do it.  But, hey.  I don't recall seeing anything about it, so here it is.  ;)

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: March 26, 2020, 09:48:40 am »
I'm just gonna shoot for the moon here, but it's something I've been thinking a lot since bsnes incorporated a widescreen mode for SNES games. Could something similar be done to the GBA?

1. Custom GBE+ build with increased resolution (not a romhack per se, but definitely step one)

Some time ago, a /r/emulation thread discussed the idea of increasing the resolution of GBA games horizontally.
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/cw90sz/feasibility_of_increasing_internal/

Shonumi, a GBA+ dev, entertained the idea and shared a few screenshots of his experiment.
https://imgur.com/a/OFUfO8k

Later in the comments, he pointed out exactly which parameters must be modified on source code to increase display area.
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/cw90sz/feasibility_of_increasing_internal/eyapdre/

Most likely, games would need to be heavily modified to take advantage of this.

2. Increased resolution hacks of GBA games.

Now, if theorically there was a build of GBE+ (or any other emulator) that allowed for increased resolution, how far could romhacks push it?

I'm thinking mainly for action platformers (Kirby, Metroid, Mega Man Zero). Could they be pushed to 320x240, as if they were released for a home console? That would possibly spark interest in romhacks with UI redesigns, complete expansion of map designs, and enemy placements (and attack patterns) to correctly fit the new resolution. Would it be possible to bring SNES to GBA ports back to their original resolution? (Probably more trouble than porting GBA content/relocalization to the SNES originals, I'm thinking theorically).

I was very disappointed when the NDS Mega Man Zero Collection didn't use the increased resolution at all. Now even more so with the ZX/Zero Collection. I would definitely be on board to at least try giving the Mega Man Zero series some attention.

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: March 26, 2020, 01:48:21 pm »
@acediez

That's pretty cool but I imagine it would break games that extensive use of the h-blank. Did you build a version of the emulator with the .cpp file from reddit topic?

#

• View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: March 26, 2020, 07:18:05 pm »
Can 5th floor boss be put in an all white jump suit? That's all I can think of for him.

The others are an easy fix. Here, try these. The main thing with this one is getting the boss characters to look as close to the movie as possible:

Yes, the colors are no problem. It can definitely be all white.

I haven't worked on the bosses any further, but I did have a look at the logo. Yours seems to contain too many custom sprites, so I made an alternate design by rearranging the existing sprites (don't mind the colors and other details I did not change here):

What do you think? The bar at the top could potentially feature text with Bruce's name.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: March 26, 2020, 07:38:08 pm »
How about this, and maybe Bruce's name in the orange bar?

March 26, 2020, 07:41:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
maybe we can make the orange bar black and the words red?

March 27, 2020, 02:50:12 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Another hack idea: Elvira game based off of Monster Party. She would fit into it perfectly since her movies are mainly just parodies of horror films, like the game. All that would have to be changed is the main character, title screen, and the text. Maybe 1 or 2 enemies.

I think I might do a sprite sheet of her for the game just for fun. It shouldn't take long.

Here are some I did. We need more games with female characters:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:57:00 pm by sil3nt_j »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6479 on: March 27, 2020, 06:27:09 pm »

I like those sprites, those Joker & Harley Quinn sprites you posted a while back were cool too. I'd love to see hacks with those sprites.