News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1820262 times)

CrispX

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6440 on: March 16, 2020, 12:12:57 pm »
NHL 94 Sega Mega Drive is possible to edit all teams, but why not FIFA Versions?  :'(

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: March 18, 2020, 09:07:22 am »
Here's 2 hack ideas

Hack Target: Renegade (the NES port) to be more faithful to it's "Micro" roots
Hack Renegade or Target: Renegade and convert it wholesale into "Renegade III: The Final Chapter" (yes, it exists - look it up!)

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: March 18, 2020, 12:36:43 pm »
A hack of NES Bomberman or Bomberman 2 where the maps have varied placement of the indestructible blocks. From what I have seen in hacks so far, every map features the same grid of safe blocks, so Bomberman is never farther than one square away from safety. It would be more interesting to see randomized or designed maps, where the density of safe blocks decreases as you progress from one level to the next.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6443 on: March 18, 2020, 03:17:32 pm »
A hack that removes the player's shot sound in Elemental Master for the Mega Drive (for all of the player's weapons). The game has an awesome OST that is completely ruined by the obligatory constant shooting.

MysteryMan3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: March 18, 2020, 05:26:22 pm »
A random level generator for "Batman - Return Of The Joker" (NES)?

Nihilus

• View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: March 19, 2020, 11:08:39 am »
I wanted to edit sprites in Mega Man X2 and X3 to start out wearing the armor from the previous games, ie. start with the light armor in X2 and start with the X2 armor in X3. It looks like All that would need to be done is to edit all of the base Mega Man sprites. The upgrades (which looks like a tougher job) wouldn't need editing at all.

I attempted to use yy-chr, but the sprites don't align; they're jumbled up pretty badly.

In the past, I edited a Proto Man Sprite edit to look better (or worse? lol) in the NES Mega Man games. I think I used a Mega Man specific rom editor, though. That was a LONG time ago.

Another idea I had was to edit the Super Mario All-Stars version of SMB 2 so that when you jump, all 4 chars hold their arms up whether or not they're holding anything.

It would look better and be more faithful to the NES version. It looks kinda stupid for them not to, imo.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:51:04 pm by Nihilus »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: March 19, 2020, 04:06:09 pm »
Hello there, Romhacking community!

Lately I've been going over a lot of the game I love and played the hell out of them throughout the years.
While I still have many projects left to be done (mainly Zelda 1 & 2 Redux), I have ideas for other Redux projects which I am not sure might even happen, but I'd like to share the ideas in case someone adept enough decides to take these ideas into a fully fledged hack.

While the list is just a handful, this doesn't mean I might make them, but nevertheless here are some of the many ideas I have for other hacks:

Ocarina of Time Redux:
Spoiler:
(Based on Randomizer v5.1):
* Randomizer-based to have all the QoL from it (Toggle boots from DPad, Ocarina on DPad, bugfixes, faster text, bunny hood accelerates Young Link like in Majora's, etc.)
* Remove all code related to cutscene removal
* Remove Rando Title screen code
* Remove seed hash code from File Select screen
* Have all items in vanilla locations (Seed: S11YGOB8C3 / id=267188 / Settings: AJCYTKJSB2FMAA2WCGAAAAK2DUCA)

From BetterOoT instead:
* Add Ocarina to D-Pad down
* Port Bunny Hood code (for BetterOoT maybe?)
https://github.com/TestRunnerSRL/OoT-Randomizer/blob/Dev/ASM/src/bunny_hood.asm

Metroid (NES) Redux:
Spoiler:
* Combine Metroid+Saving v5 with Metroid: Mother
* Check all text and fix possible wrong tilemaps with text after combining them
* Fix the 8 Energy Tanks making bottom selection on File Select disappear
* Check ending and fix whatever's needed
* Make "Metroid Mother" graphics optional
* Unique animated sprites for lava, doors and others for vanilla Metroid graphics

Pokemon Crystal Redux:
Spoiler:
* Use pokecrystal as base
* Redefine all Pokemon locations based on GSC and RBY for a full 251 Pokemon in one game experience
* Unique party sprites per-pokemon from the Wiki: https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal/wiki/Add-a-new-party-menu-icon
* QoL changes (Fairy type, physical/special split, etc.). Check pokecrystal wiki for more changes
* Running shoes
* Other changes based on Perfect Crystal

Pokemon Yellow ++/Redux:
Spoiler:
* Use pokecrystal as base. This way all of the Gen 2 features are used in Yellow Redux (better inventory, Pokedex, GameBoy Color palettes, etc.)
* Remake RBY assets in Crystal. Get rid of Johto altogether
* Merge locations for Pokemons from RBY for a full 151 pokemon in one game experience
* Unique sprites based on the best sprites from RBY converted to full colour assets for GBC/Crystal
* Follow Me script for Pikachu
* Pikachu reactions script
* Pikachu Surfing Mini-game script
* Implement Silph Scope behaviour for the Pokemon Tower from RBY into Crystal
* Unique party sprites per-Pokemon: https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal/wiki/Add-a-new-party-menu-icon
* Physical-special split, Fairy type, etc. Check pokecrystal wiki for more changes

Any ideas for a Majora's Mask Redux would be nice, I tried thinking of some but couldn't really come up with anything besides being able to use the Song of Double Time to jump to whatever hour or day you want, like in the 3D Remake.

Let me know what you guys think, or if you have other Redux ideas!

SomeOldGuy

• Game Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: March 19, 2020, 08:44:08 pm »
Hey Shadow!

Would you consider a Robocop Redux?  Basically a port of the arcade game to NES.  I know a guy that could do the sprites.  :laugh:

OG  ;D

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: March 19, 2020, 10:33:14 pm »
Out of those, Metroid Redux sounds the most enticing to me.

That said, I'd really love to see what you could do with an Ys I Redux. The NES port delivers the core of a great Ys experience, though it definitely has some issues. Despite these, it remains one of the best action-RPGs on the platform. Simply making it so that you don't have to be so near to the screen's edge before it begins to scroll (a rather huge problem in a game with bump combat) would massively improve things.

EthansDreamLand

• View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: March 19, 2020, 10:57:01 pm »
Maybe a Metroid II Redux would be nice.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #6450 on: March 20, 2020, 12:37:58 am »
Maybe a Metroid II Redux would be nice.
Yes please.

Hopefully with a map system that you can activate on the Pause menu, if possible.

March 20, 2020, 01:00:56 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And since we're on the same topic as other Redux games, I can recommend you three more games (two of them happen to be really obscure):

• Mother 1 GBA (from Mother 1+2) Redux - basically, all the great stuff from the 25th Anniversary Edition hack ported to here, plus the music fixed
  • Castlevania: Dracula X Redux - this particular entry should've been an exact port of Rondo of Blood, and that never happened
  • Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness Redux - since you brought the topic of TLoZ: Ocarina of Time, I figured I brought up this incredibly obscure title
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:00:56 am by John Enigma »

Weetepin

• View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: March 20, 2020, 08:47:58 am »
Heya, this is a request for assistance for those experienced with Mario Kart DS... I'd like to disable the 'rubberbanding' routine for the CPUs, so that they always drive at normal speed. I noticed if you run a CPU in Time Trial mode, it will always drive at normal speed as there are no opponents on the track. Does anyone know anything about this? It sounds simple but probably isn't...

All I've managed to do is find the place in memory where the CPUs are stored during the race, and found a few addresses I can edit, but nothing relating to the rubberbanding.

If you can help, thank you very much!!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: March 20, 2020, 12:00:14 pm »
If you know where the CPUs are located on the track as it were you should be able to figure out what is changing it and go back from there (I imagine it is some kind of if player is greater than distance calculation).

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: March 20, 2020, 12:27:19 pm »
Out of those, Metroid Redux sounds the most enticing to me.

That said, I'd really love to see what you could do with an Ys I Redux. The NES port delivers the core of a great Ys experience, though it definitely has some issues. Despite these, it remains one of the best action-RPGs on the platform. Simply making it so that you don't have to be so near to the screen's edge before it begins to scroll (a rather huge problem in a game with bump combat) would massively improve things.

The movement speed is the biggest issue, not the screen scrolling, but I agree that it would be nice to have the screen scroll addressed. The core issue with the game is that the NES port is the only port where the character's movement speed is DRASTICALLY reduced, and boss fights were tuned with his original movement speed taken into account. If you could adjust the character's movement speed to match the other versions of the game, it would make it significantly more playable and less of an exercise in aggravation.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: March 20, 2020, 12:41:18 pm »
Those are some good suggestions!
Although I am not familiar with many of the titles you guys are mentioning, like Ys.

As for Metroid Redux, I might have something already on the works? :^}
But nothing close to being released yet.
I want to be able to fix some of the bugs before even attempting anything fancy with it.

Weetepin

• View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: March 20, 2020, 01:29:36 pm »
What I found seems to just be 'player information' but there are a couple of addresses that are CPU-specific, for example 2 of the CPUs will always be 'frontrunners' who naturally always gravitate to the top 2 positions in the race, which I found the address for.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: March 20, 2020, 03:56:31 pm »
Most of the tournament/GP modes in the ones I have played go for that.

That said if you found the address for that you might set a breakpoint on it as anything reading that likely also handles any rubber banding -- stepping through code is not so fun but should not cause too much messing around.

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: March 20, 2020, 04:47:52 pm »
A Castlevania: Symphony of the Night hack were you could add Maria (Richter is already available) for the PSX version.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: March 20, 2020, 08:55:15 pm »
Update: Added some enemies, a boss, and the invulnerable sprites. Special thanks to xdonthave1xx for the Nightmare on Elm Street rips used as bases. Would have been tough without those:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:19:26 pm by sil3nt_j »

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: March 20, 2020, 10:34:25 pm »
Those are some good suggestions!
Although I am not familiar with many of the titles you guys are mentioning, like Ys.

As for Metroid Redux, I might have something already on the works? :^}
But nothing close to being released yet.
I want to be able to fix some of the bugs before even attempting anything fancy with it.

The largest issue with the NES port of Ys is the aforementioned movement speed change. I would suggest playing any version of Ys that isn't on the NES/Famicom for about 5 minutes, testing the movement, then try it on the NES. It's the only version that does that and most everything else was unchanged, making the game far more frustrating than it should be. I feel like the movement is as simple as adjusting a single byte, but I could be wrong, so honestly if you were thinking of such a change, even if it's not a "Redux" level overhaul, I know people (myself included) would definitely appreciate the patch.